6 week post pardum midwife check up - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering what to expect. At my 2 week check up we just talked. No BP or anything. My midwife said at 6 weeks should would have to examine me. I feel great and have almost stopped bleeding however after PAINFUL cervical checks during labor I do not want anyone going near my cervix for a long long time. The cervical checks were one of the most painful aspects of my labor. She said it wasn't painful and that now that I have had a baby exams will be a breeze but I am not so sure I trust this. I am very nervous because seriously the cervical checks were unreal. His head was in front of my cervix so she had to really dig and go back behind his head to even find my cervix. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it. I also do not want a breast exam. The only person I want messing with my breast is my son. They are a little tender and I really do not want her squishing on them. Any advice and experiences are greatly appreciated. My birth was horrible and everything I feared so I am very nervous and well I will admit it scared to be examined. I just don't want anyone messing with that part of my body. Sorry to ramble. Thanks in advance ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

ooops realized I misspelled postpartum.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:52 PM

You have the right to refuse whatever part of the exam you don't want! She'll probably want to do a cervical exam and a pap. I'm not sure about the breast exam if that's standard. They want to see if the cervix is closed up and everything went back to where it belongs. It will probably be nowhere near as painful as a labor exam is. Have you had gyn exams in the years before you got pregnant, or during the pregnancy but before labor? It will probably be like that. Maybe a little uncomfortable or maybe not, but nowhere near the agony of a labor cervical check.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM

I'm planning to decline the pap smear and cervical exam too. I think I'd start having flashbacks and that's the last thing i want

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM

My midwife didnt even suggest a 6 week post partum. So i'm not having one. Just dont make an appointment and stay at home. I'll probably have a pap this winter sometime. Its been several years since i've had a pap, so it's about time. If you feel that strong about her touching you...then i would for go it...till you've had time to heal emotionally from your birth. Have faith that your body has healed and stay away from her office. Unless your having problems i would not go. :

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Old 10-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Sorry to barge in, saw this under New Posts, but my midwife never did a cervical check on me. Ever. Even during labor. The most she did was take a peek at my perineum after delivery to see if I had any tears (she asked me if I wanted her to, and I did). At my postpartum checks all she did was feel my abdomen to make sure my uterus was going down.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Before having Orion check ups didn't bother me. I have never had an issue with paps or breast exams but now that an exam caused such EXTREME pain I am scared to death. I do not mind her looking or palpating me externally but the thought of anything going near me cervix is agonizing. Thinking about it makes me want to cry. I am not due for a pap until January so I will not have that done. So has anyone had a 6 week check up or am I the only one that has amidwife that wants to exam me? What are the benefits of the exam? What are teh risks of refusing it? Could refusing it lead to missing a health issue that could make me not be able to have babies in the future? I feel great and didn't tear during the delivery? Baby is crying. Thanks again ladies.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 PM

I had my 6 week check up today. No cervical checks, no breast exam. I'm not due for a pap until January. She did remind me to do self breast exams and asked about bleeding etc.
If you don't want it, don't do it.

I'm sorry you had so much pain.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 10-25-2008, 06:32 PM

I know i'm due for a pap. Wic also wants me to have my iron levels checked, so i guess i'm getting blood work done too. I'm definitely having my blood pressure checked since I had really high BP during pregnancy. She wants to make sure it's gone down to a normal level. I'm actually paying closer attention to what I eat, and avoiding things with high salt content so as to keep my blood pressure down. I don't want to end up with chronic HT as runs in my family.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM

I never had a visit after DD1 because I didn't want anyone touching me, either. No problems creating DD2 3 years later, and I never did have an internal exam all through pregnancy. I got stitches after the birth and that was the first time the mw had even touched me there. I think you'll be fine if you wait until you're ready.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:06 PM

I don't think my MW even does a 6 week check. She hasn't mentioned it anyway. She just calls every week or so to see how I'm doing, asks about my bleeding, etc. and that's about it.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 PM

My mw did an internal exam and breast exam at my 6-wk checkup. It was just like a yearly exam without the pap. I'll admit that it was uncomfortable... more uncomfortable than I was expecting, but over fast and no big deal.

I think her main concern was checking that my stitches/tear had healed ok, that my uterus had returned to normal, and the bleeding was under control.

I'm sorry you had a difficult time, mama- trust your instincts on this one.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know..... My husband really wants the assurance that I am healthy and ok. I keep going round and round over this.I was dreading the GBS test and it was nothing. I tend to worrrrrry. and then to realize I was all worked up for nothing. Belia...you mentioned that it was more uncomfortable than you expected....was that because of your stitches? Did she use a speculum? On a scale of 1-10 and 9 being a cervical check durring labor and a 1 being a normal old pap what would you rate it? I have anxiety and take meds but it doesn't help not obsess over stuff like this. Thanks so so so much!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violets8 View Post
Belia...you mentioned that it was more uncomfortable than you expected....was that because of your stitches? Did she use a speculum? On a scale of 1-10 and 9 being a cervical check durring labor and a 1 being a normal old pap what would you rate it? I have anxiety and take meds but it doesn't help not obsess over stuff like this. Thanks so so so much!

Sorry for the delay in responding....

I don't remember if she used a speculum or not.... I think maybe she did. I think it was painful because I was having some strange pulling sensations down there where the skin was healing from both the stitches and a couple of skid marks- like how the new skin feels a little different after a cut or burn. Plus I was still bleeding internally, so I wasn't completely healed.

I only had one cervical check during labor, and honestly I didn't find it that painful. Just a bit uncomfortable. I would say the post-partum exam felt about the same. Maybe a 4 on a scale of 1-10. And over so quickly!!!!

I don't know whether this is helpful- I'm so sorry this is causing you so much stress.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM

My midwife did a cervical exam and breast check at 6 weeks and to my surprise the cervical exam did not hurt at all and she used a speculum. It always hurts when the speculum is used but it didn't this time. I'm assuming it's because it's all big down there.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

That was what my midwife said that it wouldn't hurt at all and that things would be easier now that a baby has come through my vagina. So I am glad to hear what she said held true for you septbabymama. Thanks for responding Belia. I think I can do anything as long as it is fast. I just need to suck it up, and get over it. So that with the next baby I won't be anxious at all. Thanks ladies.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:02 PM

I was due for a pap when I got pregnant, and refused one while pregnant, so I asked my midwife to do one at the 6 wk checkup. It was somewhat painful as I agreed to let the student midwife who was at my birth do the pap. But that was it - no breast exam other than a reminder to do them often so I can catch any plugged ducts as well as other suspicious lumps. I hope that you follow your gut feeling and do what feels right to you. If you don't want anyone touching you, refuse the pap. It's that simple. I just wish you had a better birthing experience - hugs to you, mama...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Wasn't a big deal. She did a quick internal..no speculum and had me squeeze her 2 fingers with my kegel muscles and that was it. I tend to get worked up for no reason. I recently heard the saying nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs and well that is me. I need to get rid of the rocking chairs so to speak. Thanks for the support ladies.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 PM

I'm glad it wasn't a big deal! I tend to do the same, though.. worry about the worse instead of waiting and seeing... I still have to go to my 6 wk check up

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
Old 12-13-2008, 04:44 PM

I haven't been on this site in ages, but I had a little boy names Ian on September 12th!

User Tag List