Not so little anymore and changing fast - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little guy is four weeks old and is changing so fast! I've been noticing how big he's getting and today he felt so much heavier when holding him with one arm.

I know everyone says they grow up so fast/change so fast but I want him to stay little a while longer. That sounds ridiculous. Maybe its that I pictured a little newborn for 9 months and he's growing away from that before my eyes. Part of me thinks I want him to stay newborn little forever -- of course I thought for a bit that I wanted to keep him in my belly forever, too. I love him so much. Its scary.

So are hormones still wacky 4 weeks pp? Sorry if this makes no sense.
#2 of 17 Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 PM

I know what you mean! Desi has gained 4 pounds in 4 weeks!! He's already in size 2 diapers, and almost too long for his 0-3 month onesies. I wish I could slow down his growth so he could be my "little man" a little longer.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#3 of 17 Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 AM

I completely relate to everything you said. my little boy is just four weeks now too, and it is definitely going fast. I had a tough pregnancy, and yet somehow I still wanted to keep him inside as long as possible. I miss feeling his movements, kicks and hiccups in my belly. and now I definitely want him to stay a newborn forever. but that isn't going to happen... born at 8lbs.5oz., I was shocked to find yesterday he is already over 10lbs! he is getting so big! of course I'm happy he is growing so well, but I don't want to lose my perfect tiny little baby.

the good news is that it seems like every new stage is going to be so great. so while I expect to continue to be sad to leave behind the amazing newborn baby, I'm excited about all the things to come too. I can't wait for the first conscious smile -- he smiles in his sleep and it makes me realize how awesome it will be when he finally smiles at me for real...

my best advice is to try to be as in the moment as possible with your baby. I'm trying to let all the other non-essential things in my life just be on hold for these early weeks so I can devote all my time and energy to being with and caring for my baby.
#4 of 17 Old 10-25-2008, 12:33 AM

I know--my little girl seems so grown up too! She's 6 weeks tomorrow, but she really always seemed like a very old soul. She's outgrown a lot of clothes and I found that I had to adjust the carseat straps because she's so much taller!

Today I was amazed, shocked, and thrilled to realize just how deeply I've fallen in love with her.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#5 of 17 Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 AM

I know. I already want another one...and I want another *little* one. I so enjoyed having a true newborn this time around (Silas was two pounds smaller that his "big" brothers!) and now at 7 weeks that teeny little newborn is gone...and looks about like DS2 did at two weeks old.

DH, however, is not so sold on a new baby right away !

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#6 of 17 Old 10-25-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
I know. I already want another one...and I want another *little* one. I so enjoyed having a true newborn this time around (Silas was two pounds smaller that his "big" brothers!) and now at 7 weeks that teeny little newborn is gone...and looks about like DS2 did at two weeks old.

DH, however, is not so sold on a new baby right away !
Umm yeah... still sore, still bleeding, still haven't forgotten the awful pregnancy, but I so have baby fever already. Glad to know I'm not weird!

Also regarding how big they are getting... DD is 1 month today and I decided to do some measuring myself.

Head
At birth: 13 3/4in
Now: 15in

Length
At birth: 20in
Now: 22in

Chest
At birth: 13 1/2in
Now: 15in

Weight
At birth: 7lbs 4oz
Now: 10lbs (according to my inaccurate bathroom scale)

She just seems so huge to me!
#7 of 17 Old 10-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Banned

We have our two month appointment next week so I won't know how much she weighs exactly until then, but based on her sister's growth curve and how she feels on my arm, and the fact that she's outgrowing her size one diapers, I'm guessing she's right around 14 lbs now. Everyone gushed about how huge she was at birth (10 lbs 2) but to me she was tiny, because she was so early and sleepy and curled up all the time, unlike her sister who had been very "ripe" at 40+ weeks. Now she's stretched out and unfolded, and she's awake a lot more, and looking around, and she seems HUGE to me, just all of a sudden.

My labor was so, so fast and weird it was about 3-4 weeks before I stopped feeling shellshocked with the realization that the baby's over there now, and I'm not pregnant. Now I keep thinking about having another one, too.
#8 of 17 Old 10-25-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemilk View Post
My labor was so, so fast and weird it was about 3-4 weeks before I stopped feeling shellshocked with the realization that the baby's over there now, and I'm not pregnant.
I felt that way, too. I had so little time to reconcile myself to the induction, and it was SO EARLY that I really wasn't emotionally ready to be done being pregnant and that was hard. Really hard.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one ready for another . I've always been very anti-baby for nearly a year after birth, but this time I was like "oh, I could TOTALLY do that again!" It helps that he's a really easy going baby, too .

I wanted to add, though, that I am definitely enjoying this time with him as well. He may be our last or it may be a long time before I have another...it took us 2.5 years of TTC to get pregnant with him and I want to enjoy every minute of it. I keep trying to memorize the smell of his little head and his milky breath.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#9 of 17 Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Yes its sad...especially for me because I am closing down shop now. Two girls and two boys works perfect for me and I don't think I could handle anymore. So to all you mommas gearing up for your next baby...I wish you the best, its a little bittersweet for me. Its a shame it took me four kids to realize how pregnancy and birth are supposed to go, but that was how it was meant for me. Cheyenne is growing so fast but we are taking pictures like its going out of style. The next time I will be holding a newborn is when I hold my gradkids one day.
#10 of 17 Old 10-25-2008, 05:15 PM

I think we're going to space the first two babies 2 years apart. I want my body to have some time to recover before I go and get pregnant again. Pregnancy was really hard on my body... especially my back. I was riding electric carts for the last few months of pregnancy. I'm not ready to be pregnant again for a while. But i'm already looking forward to our next baby. We'd love to have a son this time around. I also keep thinking about my birth experience and what i'd like to change about it the next time around. (and also trying to figure how to keep my bloodpressure down this time so that I can actually have a home birth. Unfortunately, high blood pressure runs deep in my family on both sides. )

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#11 of 17 Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 PM

because i'm not one of those who enjoys infancy, his growing a bit can't come fast enough (about 6 months old will be nice to get to)! he is coming along quite quickly. at one month, he's already 11 pounds 7 (he was 9 pounds 3 at birth),was born into size 1 dipes (but wears those and cloth), and has barely fit into 0-3 month sleepers at all. good thing i don't have that terribly many i'm in love with!
best of all, : he's starting to smile! love that!!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#12 of 17 Old 10-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Cedric is only 2 wks old and I feel like he's changing right before my very eyes. He feels heavier already and some of the nb onesies are too short (especially w/ cloth diapering but still). I've already pulled out the sz small diaper covers to use. He won't be in size nb anything for much longer. I'm grateful he's healthy and growing well but kinda grieving over it being my last baby and he can't even stay little for a little bit longer lol. can time just freeze for a little bit?
#13 of 17 Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
Cedric is only 2 wks old and I feel like he's changing right before my very eyes. He feels heavier already and some of the nb onesies are too short (especially w/ cloth diapering but still). I've already pulled out the sz small diaper covers to use. He won't be in size nb anything for much longer. I'm grateful he's healthy and growing well but kinda grieving over it being my last baby and he can't even stay little for a little bit longer lol. can time just freeze for a little bit?
Yeah I just passed on all my NB sized stuff to my cousin that's due in March. I probably could have kept it a week or so longer, but she's already fitting in most of the 0-3mo stuff.
#14 of 17 Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 PM

Jona is so big... He was born 3 weeks early back in August at 5lb 10oz, and now my little 10 week old weighs 15 pounds!!! His length and head are also in the 90th percentile... He seriously wore preemie clothes in the beginning - now size 3-6 month fits him perfectly (meaning if he gets a little taller I will have to get 6-9 months!)... I can't believe how quickly he is growing... He is EBF, most people don't really believe it, but even though the first days he had no real suck, he never ate anything else (we fed him with a SNS system, then breastshields, then finally he just nursed).

I'm using disposables, and size 2 diapers are getting snug. Yesterday he had his 2 month check up, and the vaccine that I actually wanted him to get is out (military immunization clinic) - HiB. Waiting list: 140 kids. Ridic. I've changed him to the military PPO and now see a civilian provider who as all sorts of vaccines to choose from, yeah (the military clinic only had DTaP with tons of Al or Pediarix, ugh).
#15 of 17 Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 PM

I keep looking at my baby's newborn pics and I want those moments to last forever! They were so special to me! My Eleanora will be four weeks tomorrow and is growing so fast. She is constantly changing - right before our eyes. Every morning she looks a little different. We are so in love with her and my desire to protect her is soooo strong - almost obsessively so. I want to give her a happy life full of love and security. I am so humbled by this little life that's my daughter and watching her change is so unbelievable. I just want time to slow down so I can enjoy every minute of it.
#16 of 17 Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 PM

My little big guy was 10+2 at birth and at 5weeks was 13+12. He's in 6 month's clothes..skipped newborn clothes all together. I wanted a big baby...but he's so big...yet he's still newborn in every way. I too had to move the straps in the car seat because he's so long. I've even thought about getting a regular car seat for him...instead of the bucket seat. He's starting to smile at us when you get close to his face..and he loves when i play patty cake with him...he just smiles and smiles and coo's. Every morning when i roll over and see that he is awake...he smiles at me..what a wonderful way to start my day.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#17 of 17 Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one ready for another . I've always been very anti-baby for nearly a year after birth, but this time I was like "oh, I could TOTALLY do that again!"
: Except, I always get baby fever during the first year! I think maybe because I'm still running on the high from the babymoon.

Quote:
I keep trying to memorize the smell of his little head and his milky breath.
Ohhhh me too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page