Sttn! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sorry if this seems like rubbing anything in to those of you with newer babies, but......

Colin slept through the night! For the past 2 nights in a row!!!!! I nursed him each night at 10-ish, and he didn't wake up until 5-ish!
:

Of course, this has made me sleep HORRIBLY. The first night I slept right through with him, but then couldn't go back to sleep in the morning like usual because I was so freaked out / scared / excited.

Then last night I kept waking up throughout the night checking on him- is he still sleeping? Was that a "wake up" noise or just a wiggle? Will he do it again or was it a fluke?

What a nice surprise!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 AM

Congrats! DL is a great sleeper too. She wakes after 4-5 hours, change and feed, and then back down for another 4-5. Since I usually pee in the middle of the night anyway, I really couldn't ask for more!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM

If I keep Cheyenne up from 6-10...she will sleep from 11-7....its been nice, but it definitly freaked me out at first.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:31 PM

I wish Desi would sleep for more than an hour and a half. The last 3 days he's been staying up for 6-8 hours at a time and being compleatly inconsolable. It's been awful, because I'm home by myself from 7:30 am until 7-8 pm when dh get home. He'll usually fix dinner and then go to bed around 10. I'm starting to feel a little like I'm losing my mind. I don't know what to do to help him sleep. I'll nurse him to sleep and he'll pop off and then wake up screaming again. And once he finally goes to sleep and looks like he might stay that way, I'll put him down so I can pee, and he'll wake up and start screaming and then won't go back to sleep. I don't think there's anything in my diet that could be causing this either, I don't drink milk, I've not been drinking pop (in fact he almost seems to sleep better when I've had caffine). And on top of it all I've had a migraine off and on for about a week.

Sorry to highjack, but I needed to get that out and get some advise.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's mommy View Post
I wish Desi would sleep for more than an hour and a half. The last 3 days he's been staying up for 6-8 hours at a time and being compleatly inconsolable. It's been awful, because I'm home by myself from 7:30 am until 7-8 pm when dh get home. He'll usually fix dinner and then go to bed around 10. I'm starting to feel a little like I'm losing my mind. I don't know what to do to help him sleep. I'll nurse him to sleep and he'll pop off and then wake up screaming again. And once he finally goes to sleep and looks like he might stay that way, I'll put him down so I can pee, and he'll wake up and start screaming and then won't go back to sleep. I don't think there's anything in my diet that could be causing this either, I don't drink milk, I've not been drinking pop (in fact he almost seems to sleep better when I've had caffine). And on top of it all I've had a migraine off and on for about a week.

Sorry to highjack, but I needed to get that out and get some advise.

Ah, I'm going through the same thing! DD keeps getting up every hour at night. The other night she stayed up the entire night. It's not driving me mad though and I'm trying to not get worked up about it, but boy is it tiring. I tried bathing her earlier in the evening and putting her to sleep soon after and that's worked. I read this today and I know I try to put DD down before she's really in deep sleep so I am going to be more patient from now on since it's more tiring having to put her down and then pick her up 10 minutes later than just staying up with her and then putting her down to sleep for an hour or more. I definitely also need to keep her more active during the day instead of sleeping since that's probably attributing to her sleeping less in the evening.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070300.asp
Old 10-31-2008, 05:20 AM

DL cried a lot in the evenings until we started playing white noise for her, and since we started swaddling she stays down longer too.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:06 AM

My babe is doing the same thing. Only thing is... i'm up until around midnight each night just cus. lol. So, 5 hours isn't quite enough sleep for me. lol. So, I just go back to sleep after she pukes all over me. She has this thing where she likes to empty the entire contents of her stomach several times until I run out of milk from re-feeding her. It's fun... really it is. :

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:34 AM

11-7, hinesmama! lucky you! i can't wait for the first 8 hour sleep! that'll be great. i'm hoping to move him from our bed to the crib when that happens. right now, i think my ds nurses at about 11 p.m. and sleeps about 4 hours with me in our bed before the next feed. not sure b/c i can't see the clock very well without my glasses! LOL. he doesn't even cry in the night b/c i'm right beside him, ready to nurse when he starts grunting or showing he's hungry.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 10-31-2008, 02:31 PM

My little cupcake slept for 6 hours last night--I was shocked when she made her first little squeak and looked at the clock! Wow.

Elizabeth Pantley says 5 hours constitutes STTN. Isn't that funny? 5 hours doesn't seem like much of a night.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 10-31-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
My babe is doing the same thing. Only thing is... i'm up until around midnight each night just cus. lol. So, 5 hours isn't quite enough sleep for me. lol. So, I just go back to sleep after she pukes all over me. She has this thing where she likes to empty the entire contents of her stomach several times until I run out of milk from re-feeding her. It's fun... really it is. :
: Glad I'm not alone!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoomom View Post
: Glad I'm not alone!
Not sure if you were sayin your babe was doin everything mine was or not, but I did find a solution for the spit-up problem. My mom finally told me how she was able to get me to stop emptying my stomach! (I had the same problem as a baby). I guess she would only let me nurse for 1 minute if I was gulping, take me off the boob, burp me, and put me back on... and repeat as necessary until i calmed down and started sucking at slower more regular pattern. Tried that with my baby this morning. Got 5 burps out of her! She really does gulp down the air...

Old 11-02-2008, 09:27 PM

She did it last night... 8 hours!!! Woohoo!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM

I'm prolly showing how naive I am here, but are you mamas pumping during the night when your babes sleep so long? if not, how do you keep from getting painfully engorged?

my babe is 6 weeks old today (woohoo!), and I haven't gone more than 3 hours between feedings with him yet. I am planning to start pumping soon though, just so he'll take an occasional bottle if I have to be away from him.

my guy nurses to sleep around 11, sleeps 3 hours, then wakes up every 1-2 hours the rest of the night to nurse. he's either in the cosleeper or in bed with me, so it's not much of an inconvenience.

don't get me wrong -- I'd LOVE to sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time, but that has not even seemed possible to me yet...
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaitlin View Post
I'm prolly showing how naive I am here, but are you mamas pumping during the night when your babes sleep so long? if not, how do you keep from getting painfully engorged?

my babe is 6 weeks old today (woohoo!), and I haven't gone more than 3 hours between feedings with him yet. I am planning to start pumping soon though, just so he'll take an occasional bottle if I have to be away from him.

my guy nurses to sleep around 11, sleeps 3 hours, then wakes up every 1-2 hours the rest of the night to nurse. he's either in the cosleeper or in bed with me, so it's not much of an inconvenience.

don't get me wrong -- I'd LOVE to sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time, but that has not even seemed possible to me yet...
My babe has never slept more than 6 hours, and that was just once--usually it's more like 4.5 hours, so I dunno about the 8 hour mamas, but I don't pump in the night. I leak and wake up soaked (more than during the day, when I'm also often soaked!).

I can't imagine anybody getting up to pump. Seems like that would ruin the enjoyment of sttn!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 11-07-2008, 02:39 AM

I just pump as soon as I get up. Usually I wake up a bit before her and can pump then feed her. My nursing pads are usually full and my breasts are achy, but it goes away pretty fast once I start pumping.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:47 AM

Yeah, I just leak. I don't own a pump and would prefer not to spend money on one for no good reason, and like Catherine said, it kinda ruins the fun. Your supply will adjust if it happens enough, won't it?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 AM

I'm jealous... *sniff* Sam is 9 weeks old today and still is up every 2-3 hours to eat. I swear, by this stage my daughter was STTN regularly.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I'm prolly showing how naive I am here, but are you mamas pumping during the night when your babes sleep so long? if not, how do you keep from getting painfully engorged?.
I pump just before bed each night... otherwise i'd have to get up during the night to pump.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 AM

You guys might not believe this (unless you too are on wic and have heard the same thing) but when I went in for my wic appointment they asked me how long my babe was sleeping at night and I said 8 hours and they told me I can't let her sleep that long, I have to wake her up to feed. She's 7 weeks old! When she was younger she used to wake up to feed in the middle of the night. Now i'm rejoicing that she makes it till 5am before wanting to feed again. No freakin way am I going to wake her up and get less sleep and make her cranky as well. When I wake her up at night before I go to bed sometimes for a diaper change... she stays up and I have to work hard to get her to go to sleep again... even if I feed her. So no, I'd rather sleep and have my baby sleep thank you.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
You guys might not believe this (unless you too are on wic and have heard the same thing) but when I went in for my wic appointment they asked me how long my babe was sleeping at night and I said 8 hours and they told me I can't let her sleep that long, I have to wake her up to feed. She's 7 weeks old! When she was younger she used to wake up to feed in the middle of the night. Now i'm rejoicing that she makes it till 5am before wanting to feed again. No freakin way am I going to wake her up and get less sleep and make her cranky as well. When I wake her up at night before I go to bed sometimes for a diaper change... she stays up and I have to work hard to get her to go to sleep again... even if I feed her. So no, I'd rather sleep and have my baby sleep thank you.
I thought you only "should" wake them at night to feed them for the first couple weeks then everyone I've spoken to says to just let them sleep as long as they want to at night. I suppose this is dependent on having a child who is healthy and well-hydrated normally and growing normally etc. But no way would I wake my baby at night unnecessarily.

My baby goes to sleep about 10pm and sleeps til about 6 or 7 am, feeds and goes straight back to sleep with me for another hour or two. She's done this for the past couple weeks and it's great. I go to bed late though, so normally pump around 1am just to save it up for bottles. I'm one of those people who may leak if I don't nurse for a while, but my breasts don't tend to get very engorged at all , so it's rarely an issue.

One thing I"m interested to see is if AF returns soon due to the longer hours without nursing.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily's Mama View Post
I thought you only "should" wake them at night to feed them for the first couple weeks then everyone I've spoken to says to just let them sleep as long as they want to at night. I suppose this is dependent on having a child who is healthy and well-hydrated normally and growing normally etc. But no way would I wake my baby at night unnecessarily.
That's what I thought too! She is well hydrated and healthy. She even smiles several times each day. I'm pretty sure she's doing just fine. She's getting bigger and gaining weight and getting longer too. She's already in 3-6 months clothing. And yet the wic people say she's not growing as quickly as they'd like to see. lol. And here I thought she was growing like a weed! Must be something wrong with them. My mom did say that me and my sisters never "grew" up to wic's standards either. But she did say that we looked healthy enough to them, so they didn't complain too much. lol.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
My breats have just increased their capacity. Sara started sttn last week and I'd either have to pump in the middle of the night or immediately after feeding her first thing in the morning. Over the course of the week/weekend, I'm no longer painfully engorged (but I'm definitely full!), and I'm now pumping 5-6 oz. from each breast, compared to around 3 two weeks ago. I'm not sure if this is normal so your mileage may vary...I still leak a lot though, but never during work hours...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Old 11-15-2008, 07:21 AM

The past two nights DS has slept for 8 hours straight. I'm not complaining too much but I wish he'd choose an earlier bed time instead of 2 or 3 a.m. if we can get him to bed at an earlier hour I'd be thrilled, all in due time I suppose.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 AM

The last 2 nights Des has slept for at least 8 hours before waking up to eat, then going back to sleep for about 4 more hours. However his chosen sleep time is 2 am!!! I probably shouldn't be complaining too much though, should I

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

User Tag List