Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   September 2008 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/432-september-2008/)
-   -   Birth control: what are your plans? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/432-september-2008/990183-birth-control-what-your-plans.html)

VeganCupcake 10-28-2008 05:42 PM

Just wondering what everyone is planning to do about birth control (if anything).

I'm hoping to do FAM--I charted to conceive, now I need to learn how to chart to avoid. I'm hoping I'll have lactational amenorrhea (or however you spell it--too lazy to check) for a good long time, since Baby S is at the breast a lot. We may also use condoms for backup. I don't really want another baby right away, though I do want more children someday!

violets8 10-28-2008 05:47 PM

I am considering the mini pill but haven't committed to it. We used the Pull and Pray method for 2 years and then it took a year to get pregnant soooo we may just use that. That coupled with breast feeding should be pretty effective. I think I would like to start trying for another baby when Orion is 2.

Charmie981 10-28-2008 06:51 PM

I'm relying on a combination of LAM and infertility. I told my OB at 6 weeks that we don't need birth control. It took 2.5 years of actively TTC plus a cycle of Clomid to get Silas (and 6 months to get Atley and 14 months to get Samuel) and even if I did end up pregnant right away, I'd just say "so this is what it feels like to get pregnant unexpectedly!" She laughed and said she'd remind me of that if she sees me in her office in two or three months.

Alcyone 10-28-2008 07:37 PM

We will use condoms. I'd love to rely on charting alone but after a cesarean I don't want any surprises and it's not quite the same when you're bfing!

I'd never heard the term "Irish twins" before, but I'm having a hard time seeing it as something other than incredibly offensive to Irish people.

VeganCupcake 10-28-2008 07:49 PM

Yes, you're right. Wasn't thinking. Editing.

emski4379 10-28-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
I'd never heard the term "Irish twins" before, but I'm having a hard time seeing it as something other than incredibly offensive to Irish people.
Irish twins are when 2 siblings are born within the same year.

We'll probably use condoms until I can decide on another method. I'm terrible at remembering to take pills, so the mini-pill is out for me.

Montse 10-28-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violets8 View Post
I am considering the mini pill but haven't committed to it. We used the Pull and Pray method for 2 years and then it took a year to get pregnant soooo we may just use that. That coupled with breast feeding should be pretty effective. I think I would like to start trying for another baby when Orion is 2.
HAHA! Pull and Pray - love it! We used that method for years and it proved most effective. I got pregnant the one time we didn't pull! Sorry - TMI!
I was on the pill for a few years but decided not to go back on it. I was terrible at it - always forgot to take them.

moderngal 10-28-2008 11:19 PM

Condoms until DD is a year. Then we'll see where we're at and whether we're ready for DH to get the big V or not. We're 98% sure we're good with 2, but just in case, we want to wait until she is 1 year.

alyssatuininga 10-29-2008 12:23 AM

Ugh I just posted on the NFP board. We are trying to figure out what the heck to do about birth control and I am at a COMPLETE loss. I am exclusively nursing so I know we have a few months. My dh is positive he doesn't want to have any more. I am still feeling like I want to have one more so feeling like I am NOT ready for anything permanent. Here are our issues...

1. I have PCOS and a VERY irregular cycle so although we have used NFP for conceiving I am concerned about using it as our only form of birth control.

2. He has allergy issues (with spermicide) so that leaves most barrier methods out.

3. I am nursing 2 boys and uncomfortable with hormonal methods during this time.

Any suggestions? We have been around it so much and I feel like there is nothing safe. I would hate to get pregnant with him so against the idea of another but I feel like we have NO options. Any ideas????

Alcyone 10-29-2008 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emski4379 View Post
Irish twins are when 2 siblings are born within the same year.
I kinda figured, given the context. Still screams "offensive" to me.

e'smommy 10-29-2008 10:24 AM

After talking it over with my NP (she's also my AWESOME LC!), I really want to get the Mirena IUD. I tried the mini-pill after DS1 and I spotted all the time. I don't think I will ever had a tubal ligation (too permanent for my liking). DH hates using condoms. My LC says that the Mirena actually can increase milk production. The only problem is my health insurance does not cover birth control and those things are about $800-$1000! So still trying to decide what to do.

lwuertz 10-29-2008 02:01 PM

FAM, Encare, fertility problems (took a year w/ Clomid/Prevera for this one)and EBF... I hope that works at least for a little while, but I already have baby fever so...

HinesMaMa 10-29-2008 02:14 PM

ha ha no pull and pray for me...I am fertile myrtle and will get pregnant if DH even thinks about sex! Mircette pill works fine for me until he gets his vasectomy

Logan's mommy 10-29-2008 04:50 PM

I'm getting the Mirena IUD, because we're not 100% sure we're done, but don't want another one anytime soon. Also I'm terrible at remembering to take pills everday, so this sounds like my best option.

trayls 10-29-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
but I already have baby fever so...

allisonrose 10-29-2008 07:22 PM

I was thinking about the minipill but hubby doesn't think it's a good idea since it took us a while to get pregnant after being on the (regular) pill for years. We want a second child someday but not sure yet of the timing so I don't want to the expense of an IUD if we're going to get it removed in a year. Hubby agreed to use condoms for a while so we'll be experimenting with different brands.

Anyone around know when you can start with FAM?

spiderdust 10-29-2008 10:24 PM

BF's getting a vasectomy soon, so that will take care of it for us.

funfunkyfantastic 10-31-2008 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e'smommy View Post
I really want to get the Mirena IUD.
Same here. My midwife says it's a good idea. I'm going to see if my regular family doctor will put it in for me. If not, my midwife agreed to set up an appointment to do so. I'm not sure if my insurance covers it or not. I know they cover the pill (but i've never been good at taking the pill on time)

nia82 10-31-2008 03:32 PM

@ Funky: Tricare covers Mirena.

We decided against hormonal contraception until DS is weaned... I don't like the minipill as it doesn't stop ovulation (neither does Mirena), which is way to unsafe for my taste. In Europe they have a minipill that stops ovulation and is safe with BF, but of course the FDA hasn't approved it yet here (Cerazette).

So.... Condoms it is....

Tattoomom 10-31-2008 04:01 PM

Condoms We don't love them but they are the best option for us right now.

I tried the Mirena IUD 4 years ago and had a horrible experience with heavy bleeding and repeated UTI's after insertion. All the infections lead to rounds of antibiotics- that led to thrush- that led to being invaded from head to toe in yeast- that took me and my babe months of Diflucan to get rid of! Needless to say, I had it removed!

Aside from the 3 month battle with the Mirena, we've used condoms by my cycle for years in between babies, by being careful and using condoms when I thought it was OV time and we never got pregnant... until we decided to TTC and stopped being careful and viola! Happened every time

EarthyLady 11-02-2008 01:23 AM

Ah. I'm Irish and it didn't bother me a bit. I thought it was a pretty well known term! LOL!

As for BC, we won't use anything. In the past, I wasn't fertile again until 21 months with both kids (you can check out the book Natural Child Spacing for more info on nursing and getting your fertility back)...at which time I got pregnant again. Even this last time, we used a backup method of the contraceptive foam...and it failed and we got pg anyway. So, we've decided why even bother! If it's God's will we get pg, ain't nothin' gonna stop it anyway!

Alcyone 11-02-2008 07:17 AM

That's nice that it doesn't bother you, but it doesn't stop it from fundamentally being an offensive term. A quick google search shows I'm far from being the only person to think so, and that the origins of the term are indeed as derogatory as they appear to be.

truffle 11-02-2008 05:17 PM

I thought the minipill did stop ovulation, but the regular pill didn't. The minipill is a steady stream of progesterone, which is only in the body normally after ovulation. It tricks the body into thinking it has already ovulated so it won't again.

Tattoomom 11-03-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffle View Post
I thought the minipill did stop ovulation, but the regular pill didn't. The minipill is a steady stream of progesterone, which is only in the body normally after ovulation. It tricks the body into thinking it has already ovulated so it won't again.
Apparently, the mini pill doesn't always stop ovulation. My midwife was telling me at my pp visit that the mini pill is pretty trustworthy while breastfeeding -if you take it correctly- but they've had several mom's get pregnant on it once they were done nursing.

truffle 11-03-2008 12:38 AM

Well, I know with the minipill you need to take it at the same time each day.

What I was trying to say though was that my understanding was that when used correctly the minipill prevented ovulation, while the regular pill prevented pregnancy but not ovulation.

nia82 11-03-2008 02:33 PM

The regular pill, if taken correctly, suppresses ovukation on each cycle, makes the uterus lining thin. The minipill doesn't suppress ovulation, only in about half of all cycles and not in all women. It also has to be taken at the exact same time each day. As soon as I stop BF I will take Alesse again- I have no side effects and it gives my ease of mind...

ehunter27 11-03-2008 05:35 PM

Uh...not exactly sure what we are going to do...
DP doesn't really want another, though has said if we do have another he'd want it really soon, so we can "grow up as a family"...which is reasonable.
I, however, really want another, but would rather wait about 3 years. We have a 2 yr old, a six week old (today!) and that is lots of work...(Actually, the newbie seems so easy, it is keeping up with our loveable and baby-regressing toddler that is hard!)...

Anyway, I was thinking the mini-pill, but don't like idea of hormones, etc. and am worried about forgetting it or something...

We used a diaphragm b/w dc1 and dc2, a sure mood-killer, but not much side effects...except, i've seen some scary literature regarding spermicides, etc...

I have thought of an IUD, but it is WICKED expensive, our ob quoted 1100$ roughly?

hmm...

And, dp and I DTD w/o any protection a few nights ago...we just couldn't resist, I was finally feeling better, and condoms are a deedender w/ him...is it true one is most fertile in those first three months? I hope not!

youngsoul 11-03-2008 05:53 PM

I'm a FAMmer all the way...used it successfully for years and years before I got pregnant. I hate the pharmaceutical companies and the pill scares me. Condom usage is really only required about 5 days/month (for me), so it works pretty well.

neshamamama 11-05-2008 04:04 PM

Not sure what we are going to do either. DH was supposed to get a V but has decided not to...he is a big baby about going to dr's and stuff. I told him the onus is on him to take care of bc because I am not willing to do anything hormonal...

ryansma 11-06-2008 06:13 PM

VCF - I hate condoms and won't take any kind of pill. VCF works well for us.