7 weeks postpartum issues again... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby is 6 weeks as of yesterday and i woke up in the middle of the night last night with full blown mastitis. I am a Lactation Consultant and didnt even know what to do..go figure. No waringing signs..i'm tandem nursing so i had no clue i would get something like this. I'm also a single mama..so not much rest for me. DS has been sleeping longer at night..that's the only thing i can think of..I had my older nursling bf during the night because he can normally empty the breast more thant he baby...but his sucking is harder and more painful. So today baby is nursing the infected breast and older ds is getting the other side. I would of thought that i would not have gotten this..however it can happen to any one. Also baby has a yeast rash on his bottom so i'm changing diapers more frequently. I changed to sposie till that goes away. I can barely get out of the bed and my toddler has free reigh of the house...i feel so bad that i can not even get him anything to eat. I just ordered take out and hopefully get something into my body. I dont want to take antibiotics but looks like i may...i've tried several natural remedies today garlic and lime juice...vit C mega does...rest..water...hot shower. Looks like i may try the vit c again and pray that it kicks it's.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 6 Old 10-30-2008, 06:36 PM

Oh mama, that's so hard, especially with a toddler and without your partner around!

I had a plugged duct a few weeks ago and was running a low fever with aches and a pounding headache--it was horrible, and it was only a plugged duct! I can't imagine how terrible you must be feeling. I have heard good things about taking vitamin C for mastitis; I think the vitamin C really helped me. I also took grapefruit seed extract as a natural antibiotic and maybe that helped, too.

I hope your takeout comes and you can get some good food in you and in your toddler. Is there someone who can come help you out?

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#3 of 6 Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 PM

I just got over my second case of mastitis. I took Vitamin C, Echinacea, and homeopathic remedy photolacca and so far haven't had to resort to antibiotics. Also just massaging the sore area as much as possible and of course expressing the milk, nursing as much as possible. I'm tandem nursing as well and I think my 3 year old's irregualr nursing patterns is contributing to it. My supply is all over the place. I hope you are better soon. I know it's very hard to do but resting really does help, mastitis often shows when you're run down.
#4 of 6 Old 10-31-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

I dont want to take antibiotics...but i've tried garlic and vit c...this is going on day 2 now that i cant get out of the bed....I dont have any other remedies except a homeopathy kit for baby...could i take anything out of that?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#5 of 6 Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well that bout of mastitis went away in 2 days. Now a week later i feel the same thing coming on in my other breast. I just dont get why i'm having this problem. I woke up with a red patch and sore breast last night. Today i feel sore all over no fever...just body aches. My mom took me to the health food store and i got 2 natural remedies and lecithin. I'm leaning on weaning my toddler so this will not happen again. I never had any issues nursing one baby. It's hard when you dont have any help here at home. Thank goodness for take out. Hopefully this will resolve with out meds.

#6 of 6 Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Ouch! I got mastitis with my 2nd and it sucked big time sorry you're having to deal with it without anyone there to help... that can't be easy... I hope the 2nd bout doesn't actually hit full force!

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page