formal event at 3 months postpartum: what would you wear? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-05-2008, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH has a work event in December that is black tie. He wants us to go. Apparently I need a "gown".

Problem #1: I hate gowns and look ridiculous in them and therefore do not want to wear one.
Problem #2: A gown will probably not fit this giant-boobed flabby body.
Problem #3: I don't want to spend very much money on something I will probably hardly ever wear and might hate anyway.

Any suggestions?

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#2 of 27 Old 11-05-2008, 06:42 PM

I struggled with something similar, I have to go to a wedding on Saturday, and had a really hard time figuring out what to wear that I could nurse in, but would look good on a 6 week pp body. I looked around and couldn't find anything that I liked, but I found a cowl neck sweater with a deep deep neck ( the neck line is almost to my belly button) I'm going to wear a tank in a matching color underneath and a black skirt... (with my newly purchased emerald colored heels ) I don't know what I would do if it were formal... probably ask if I could wear some nice dressy clothes that were almost formal. hth.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#3 of 27 Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 AM

Consignment shops will save you money, at least. You could resell it afterwards too.
#4 of 27 Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 AM

It can be easy to pick up a gown at a thrift shop, a lot of weathy doctors wives donate to "Pink Lady" or hospital benefit thift shops, you should see if there is one near where you live. They will have the better gowns. I found a nice one there for the USCG ball a couple years back.

If you don't want to wear a gown, don't! This is 2008, and you have other options. If I were you, I'd go for these pants: http://www.chadwicks.com/clothing/Me...PurchaseType=0
and a gorgeous blouse, whatever will look good on your body type, maybe something like this: http://www.chadwicks.com/clothing/Sl...PurchaseType=0 and finish it with a colorful wrap and some pretty shoes, you're all set!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#5 of 27 Old 11-06-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Keep those suggestions coming! You've given me some choices to start thinking about!

DH told me last night that the company pays to rent tuxes for the male employees and does something else for the female employees, so no matter what, he's going to be wearing a tux. I've got to "match" that somehow.

I do have a beautiful Chinese silk qipao that was custom made for me, but that was a looooong time ago and I bet it doesn't fit. I don't think I could even get it over my hips, let alone zip it up.

#6 of 27 Old 11-06-2008, 06:01 PM

I vote for a consignment shop...or goodwill...then you don't have to feel bad about only wearing it once or it not being in your desired size.
#7 of 27 Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 PM

I went to a wedding last weekend which was also the introduction of our baby to a large group of friends. I bought a nice "Boob" nursing dress for the occasion, but I thought it looked terrible when the day came around. It's really clingy in the stomach area -- so stupid since I assume that's the area most newly postpartum women want to camouflage!

So I scoured my closet and wound up going with a deep v wrap dress in a nice busy print. And of course a pair of trusty high-waisted Spanx pantyhose

How about a silk jersey wrap dress from ebay? You can usually find a big selection of Diane von Furstenberg dresses in nice prints - new and vintage - for a decent price. And the bonus is you can wear it often since they work great for breastfeeding.
#8 of 27 Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Ebay is great for that type of stuff, but you do have to plan in advance, and be prepared to resell or have it altered if the fit isn't ideal.

Is there any way you'd consider having the qipao altered? Maybe you know someone who can cut it down to a tunic or a blouse? Or take it to a tailor and talk to them. Alterations are often cheaper than you think, especially in today's economy, a lot of mom and pop cleaners / alterations shops are hurting for business. Then you can wear some palazzio pants and spikey heels?

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#9 of 27 Old 11-07-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
Is there any way you'd consider having the qipao altered? Maybe you know someone who can cut it down to a tunic or a blouse? Or take it to a tailor and talk to them. Alterations are often cheaper than you think, especially in today's economy, a lot of mom and pop cleaners / alterations shops are hurting for business. Then you can wear some palazzio pants and spikey heels?
I would, totally, except that it would also require a generous expansion of the bust! I should see if that could be done.

#10 of 27 Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaitlin View Post
How about a silk jersey wrap dress from ebay? You can usually find a big selection of Diane von Furstenberg dresses in nice prints - new and vintage - for a decent price. And the bonus is you can wear it often since they work great for breastfeeding.
i'm dying to get something like this. how decent are the prices?

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#11 of 27 Old 11-07-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post
i'm dying to get something like this. how decent are the prices?
There was a nice one with a defined waist in a contrasting color that went for $99 earlier today. It wasn't quite my size.

I tried on my qipao today. It actually fits in the hips, thighs, and waist, but the zipper and buttons won't close up by the bust. There's about 3 inches between the sides of the zipper.

#12 of 27 Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
There was a nice one with a defined waist in a contrasting color that went for $99 earlier today. It wasn't quite my size.

I tried on my qipao today. It actually fits in the hips, thighs, and waist, but the zipper and buttons won't close up by the bust. There's about 3 inches between the sides of the zipper.
I know I am going to have this problem postpartum since I didn't have much in the boob department pre-preg.

Can you take it to a tailor and see if they have any ideas? Maybe remove that portion of the zipper and do a lace-up backing, and wear a cute contrasting cropped jacket or wrap to cover up? If it zips/buttons in the front, can they do a cut-out in the back? It just seems like such a shame to let a piece like that go, since it was custom made and all.

#13 of 27 Old 11-09-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
It can be easy to pick up a gown at a thrift shop
This is what I did at 4 weeks PP for the navy ball. Unfortunately I was only able to conceal so much chub and ended up looking a few months pregnant I guess. Cus, the lady taking my coat asked how far along I was! Eeek! I think I looked OK in my pictures. I was barely able to get my boobs in the dress I found at value village, and it was also very tight on me, even with the chub concealer thing I was wearing underneath.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#14 of 27 Old 11-09-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

See, the boobs are the issue. I think a gown that would fit on top would be too big on the bottom, so maybe separates are the way to go.

#15 of 27 Old 11-09-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
This is what I did at 4 weeks PP for the navy ball. Unfortunately I was only able to conceal so much chub and ended up looking a few months pregnant I guess. Cus, the lady taking my coat asked how far along I was! Eeek! I think I looked OK in my pictures. I was barely able to get my boobs in the dress I found at value village, and it was also very tight on me, even with the chub concealer thing I was wearing underneath.
I was at a wedding last night and dh had the baby and wasn't close by and I was asked how far along I was. I said "I just had a baby a few weeks ago." To which the lady responded "That would be why you still have a bit of a belly" Can you believe that???

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

#16 of 27 Old 11-09-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's mommy View Post
I was at a wedding last night and dh had the baby and wasn't close by and I was asked how far along I was. I said "I just had a baby a few weeks ago." To which the lady responded "That would be why you still have a bit of a belly" Can you believe that???
Ouch! That lady did NOT make a good recovery from a social faux pas. I bet she's kicking herself for saying that.

#17 of 27 Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 PM

I told dh and he kept telling me the rest of the night how awesome I looked and that I don't look pregnant (I do still, a little because of flub and extra skin... but I know I look good for 6 weeks pp)

#18 of 27 Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 AM

And, I just have to share this picture with everyone, it's too cute!

Desmond in a suit.

#19 of 27 Old 11-10-2008, 12:47 AM

Are you taking your baby with you? I would wear black slacks, a black blouse, a really pretty sling, and my new babe! When in doubt, hide behind a cute baby!
#20 of 27 Old 11-10-2008, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's mommy View Post
And, I just have to share this picture with everyone, it's too cute!

Desmond in a suit.
Oh my heavenly days, he is just adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beka1977 View Post
Are you taking your baby with you? I would wear black slacks, a black blouse, a really pretty sling, and my new babe! When in doubt, hide behind a cute baby!
Alas, babies are emphatically not invited. Baby Girl will be spending the evening with MIL. I know--with a cute baby in a sling (and I do have a very pretty one), I could practically go in my pajamas and nobody would notice.

#21 of 27 Old 11-10-2008, 02:56 AM

I don't know how you feel about others holding your lo, but I really only held Desi long enough to feed him all weekend (when we weren't in our room, that is.) It was kinda nice. Too bad they aren't allowing babies.

#22 of 27 Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 AM

I vote for a flowy A-line halter top dress. Halters are great for huge boobs and the A-line will hide the tummy.
#23 of 27 Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 AM

How abotu formal separates, like a birdesmaid type thing? I just looked up David's Bridal online and found they have separates on sale, that way you could get a bigger size for the top and a smaller on the bottom?

http://www.davidsbridal.com/sale_ret...p=244&sp=sales

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#24 of 27 Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
How abotu formal separates, like a birdesmaid type thing? I just looked up David's Bridal online and found they have separates on sale, that way you could get a bigger size for the top and a smaller on the bottom?

http://www.davidsbridal.com/sale_ret...p=244&sp=sales
Oh that's a great idea! Hmm... I might try there when I shop for my dress for the x-mas party. (navy formal event)

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#25 of 27 Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Those separates are really pretty, and the prices are great, too!

#26 of 27 Old 11-14-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Good luck finding something! I dread getting dressed to go out anywhere, because none of my cute clothes fit me at the moment ... lol I would be all over buying something pretty and new

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#27 of 27 Old 11-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Those separates are really pretty, and the prices are great, too!
I was thinking the red would look great for a December event. Very festive. You might even be able to find them other places than Davids, like Google "formal separates" or "Bridesmaids separates" or something....glad you liked the idea!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page