I wish I trusted myself more - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure things are going well. I'm insecure about the sleep arena- I don't have any specific complaints or concerns, but I have the nagging sense that I'm not doing things right. Colin catnaps a lot during the day, but doesn't go down in a crib for what I would consider a NAP. And he sleeps ok at night, but not 8-10-12 hours at a time.

But he's doing allright. And he's still so young!

My mom gave me a copy of "Healthy SLeep Habits, Happy Child" by Weissbluth when Colin was first born, and its sat on a shelf since then. Who has time to read a BOOK? But I pulled it off the shelf today and figured I'd check the MDC to see what these mamas thought of it before I tried reading it. The consensus was a big NO- he's a CIO advocate.

But I read, like, 2 paragraphs and am now totally paranoid- OMG I'M DOING IT ALL WRONG. After 2 paragraphs!!!!!

Argh. I wish there was an owners manual. I really do.

Thanks for listening.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#2 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 06:06 PM

mama, you're not wrong, HE is.. I do NOT agree with CIO at all, ESPECIALLY with a babe who can't TELL you what's wrong, but only cries when there *is* something wrong, even if it's just wanting to be held and cuddled (which I have no problem doing in the middle of the night... jmo) I say let the babe sleep where and however much he wants to... babes will sleep when they're tired and wake up when they're not

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#3 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 06:32 PM

Most baby's dont sleep through the night....my 4 y/o has yet to sleep through the night...lol.
Sleeping through the night is a huge ordeal to some people....it's what works best for you and your little one..if he/she is still waking...then it's for a reason and we as mama's must figure that the reason and meet that need. I dont like to talk to family/friends about baby and sleeping issues because most people from the older generations were formula fed...cereal fed...thus those baby's sometimes tended to sleep all night...well if your breastfeeding...the whole sleeping at night is out the window...read your baby's cues and everyone will be much happier knowing that baby is fed and most baby's will go right back to sleep once they have a full belly.
Go with your gut instinct...our mama instinct is always right on.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#4 of 10 Old 11-15-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
Go with your gut instinct...our mama instinct is always right on.
I know you're probably right.... I just doubt myself all the time. And it only took 2 paragraphs of a book that I had already decided to toss to make myself feel like crap! Ergh!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#5 of 10 Old 11-16-2008, 12:38 AM

Maybe you should find a book that will reinforce what you're doing instinctually. Dr. Sears' nighttime parenting book is a good one, or just The Baby Book, even. Silas is similar to Collin, but does usually take one big nap a day. When is anybody's guess, though, and I find myself feeling like I should know when it's "nap time" so I can be home and "put him down" at "nap time." I'm also thinking that I should start the "bedtime routine" with him. Tonight when he started giving sleepy cues, I thought, "okay, we'll start this routine thing tonight and I'll give him a bath, nurse him and put him to bed." The bath was NOT what he wanted (but he needed one) and he screamed through the whole thing and for at least an hour afterward, which he's never done before. Scratch bath before bed for him!!

What I'm learning is sometimes babies make their need for routine very clear (I know my first did... you could have set a clock by him!), and sometimes there is no need for routine. And that's okay, too, even though we're conditioned to think that baby should have some sort of predictability (if not a "schedule" we impose, at least a "routine" that they develop). You're doing a great job at reading his cues and as long as it's working for both of you, it doesn't matter what anyone else says!!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#6 of 10 Old 11-16-2008, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Count me in as being insecure about sleep as well. My son also takes short naps throughout the day. Some days he'll do a longer nap - about 2 hours - but not everyday and not necessarily at the same time of day. He spends 8-12 hours in bed overnight but that time is broken up by nursing and diaper changes.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#7 of 10 Old 11-16-2008, 03:26 AM

We have no sort of routine, not even a pattern yet. There are some days where ds2 will go to sleep around 10 or 11, wake up a few hours later to nurse, sleep until 6:30 or 7, and then nap through out the day, then we may have days where he'll get up for the day at 9 am, not really nap at all, go to sleep around 10 or 11 and sleep for 6-7 hours before waking up to nurse. Last night he went to sleep at midnight, woke up at 7, nursed, went back to sleep until 10:30. I just go with whatever he needs, hoping that someday things will become more predictable around here. For sleepy time ds2 is always nursed or cuddled and rocked to sleep.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#8 of 10 Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 AM

Even pro-CIO people I know would never CIO with a babe under at least 6 mos. Any book telling you otherwise is only good to line a ferret cage.

DL only sleeps more than 20 minutes if she's being worn or at night. She has STTN two or three times but generally wakes once or twice. I think that's pretty normal for this stage. For some reason, if I go out with her, she's hardly ever awake in the sling. I think she likes the rhythm of walking. She'll sleep a good four hours in there!
#9 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 12:15 PM

Ditto on what everyone else has said. It sounds like you are doing a great job following your little one's lead. Trust your instincts. You know your baby better than anyone.
#10 of 10 Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 PM

I was SO paranoid about these things with my first. We would never nap unless he was being worn and I was moving. I was told countless number of times that he would never learn to sleep. We also co-clep and I was told but most everyone that he would never learn to sleep on his won etc etc. Well he is almost 6 now. He sleeps fine at night. He goes to bed with no problems sleeps 10 or so hours at night. He and his 3 1/2 brother sleep together and are both happy with the situation. My 3 1/2 always slept well but even he did not begin to "sleep through the night" till about 2. Try to remember that every baby is different and things will change constantly. Try to follow your heart.

Of course babies at this age aren't supposed to sleep through the night. They need to wake to eat. It would be dangerous for infants to sleep through the night. Waking and light sleep are important mechanisms that reminds babies to breathe.

Also have you thought about co sleeping at night? Studies prove that although babies who co sleep nurse more during the night mothers who co sleep get more sleep than mothers who sleep separate.

Good luck

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page