Confessions of a First-Time Mom - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2008, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mama.rye- I don't think there's any such thing as a 'bad mommy' moment, not really, anyway.

about the nail clippers.. . with DS1, I was able to just nibble them off while he nursed. But Milo's nails are welded to his skin at the corners, so while he was sleeping, I tried to cut them. I mean I REALY hurt him, too. . .

I do the fast clean-up, too!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
*Sometimes when I eat while wearing her, I DON'T put a napkin on top of her little head. :
I almost PEED my maternity pants @ the visual! :

Not in your DDC, just : ing.

-
Old 11-30-2008, 12:08 AM

Ok, I'll give in...here are my confessions....

*I dropped my cell phone on her head while I was talking to my BFF while BF'ing when she was only a couple weeks old.
*I also eat over the top of her while she BF'ing.

Oh, speaking of food, DH just brought me dinner! Gotta run and eat while she's actually sleeping! Back later...

ok, back and nak...

*we cosleep and have gotten so good at nursing side-lying that i rarely wake up enough to change her diaper before 5 or 6am.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 AM

-I spent over $200 on cloth diaper stuff and have basically used the prefolds as rags! I really want to use them, but I just don't get prefolds and we haven't gotten back into the swing of doing laundry regularly enough to use AIOs.
-A couple times Finn has woken up at 5am to feed and then won't go back to sleep, so I've taken to waking up the bf after feeding, saying "your shift" and going back to sleep.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
-I fell asleep on the couch & let go so he fell on the tile floor - when he was 4 days old.

-Am so frustrated with how stinky the covers get that my prefolds are sitting neatly folded & he's wearing disposables.

-I have picked at the zits - man I wish they would go away.

What a fabulous thread!!!!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 11-30-2008, 07:56 PM

-I came out of the bathroom in the store the other day with Keir in my pouch and wacked his head on the door...I misjudged where his head ended and the door was...I felt sooo awful.

- I often wake up dh saying I have had a rough night when I haven`t, the worse part is I know he has been up at least once or twice with my other boys.

-i keep him in sposies at night so I don't have to change his bum....
Old 11-30-2008, 08:41 PM

I am laughing so hard I'm crying. Thank you so much, mamas. I really needed this after getting covered in vomit three times before lunch time today!

Okay, mine, c+p from November:

When he projectile vomits (at least once every day), I leave him sitting in his nasty clothes until I've cleaned myself up. It feels selfish, though it makes more sense because I'd just get him covered in vomit again.

He's so strong that I forget I still need to support his head and he headbutts me sometimes, too

I put him in his swing early in the morning when DH and DS1 get up so I can get a couple more hours of sleep... alone! Without the constant grunting!

He's much chubbier than DS1 was and I find myself hoping his weight gain will slow down... that's what a lifetime of being told I was fat and having low self esteem and body images does... I really don't want to pass that on to my kids, but I've always been secretly thrilled DS1 is "skinny".

He had his first ever bath last night (with me in the big tub)... normally I just wipe him down.

This morning I started scraping off the cradle cap... my kids seem to get it in their eyebrows and between their eyebrows... so he's now sporting that red skin/just had my eyebrows waxed look

If he projectile vomits at night (we sleep on prefolds) and it gets the sheets, I just grab an extra pf to cover the wet patch so we can go back to sleep.

The cloth dipes made him start to peel in the folds of skin in his groin, so I used sposies for two weeks and I am tempted to go back to them at least for o/n.

I have moments where I resent him for all this extra laundry he's creating with the constant vomiting...

...and I feel incredibly guilty because DH is doing everything for DS1 and the poor kid barely knows who I am right now!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

Old 11-30-2008, 10:46 PM

Ready for a mom of the year worthy confession? Night before last I woke up and Ainsley was on her head (feet in the air) : I almost always end up sleeping sitting up with her on the boppy, and now that she's moving around more she moved too much I guess and fell off the boppy and onto her head! I have no clue how long she was like that, I hope to goodness it wasn't more then a couple of minutes at most.. but who knows. She wasn't even crying. I'm trying to lay down once she's asleep now, but still have fallen asleep before she's done nursing sitting up.. (we have trouble nursing laying down, her mouth is still small and my nips end up really sore).

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
Old 12-01-2008, 12:02 AM

All these confessions make me feel a lot better. A lot of mine are repeats, but here goes...

- I thought DD had bad breath, I even told her doctor about it at her one week appt. He looked in her mouth and found nothing. Later I realized it was a cheesy-neck-stink.

- It takes us four prefolds to sleep (not including the ones for her bum): one under my boobs, one for wiping her face/clothes, and two under her head. The double layer is awesome, when she spits up a big one I can whisk away the top prefold and she's still on one.

- I was convinced I wouldn't use baby-tenders but one day I gave in and bought a swing. Pointless anyway, she will rarely stay in it. It usually allows me five minutes to brush my teeth and pee first thing in the morning though.

- In one of our first nights home, in bed, she was crying and I couldn't fix it. I was very tired and frustrated, and I said 'WAH!' back at her. : I have since gained quite a bit of patience.

- She is currently sleeping, swaddled, with a scarf tied around her upper body. I can't keep her swaddled otherwise. I've googled 'swaddle scarf tie' to try and determine if maybe this isn't as crazy as I think it might be, but no results...

- Our current bath rate seems to be one every two weeks. I tried her in the shower with me and she got red eyes, I think I did it wrong.

- She is six weeks old and has not had her nails trimmed. I wait until she has little hangnails and then rip them off. Kinda works.

- I realized today that I think I am underestimating her eating capacity. I read an article about some culture where their babes are nursed an average of every 13 minutes. With DD, if she's eaten recently, popped off, and then becomes fussy I had assumed she couldn't possibly be hungry again. From now on I'll offer more boob.

There's more, but my little scarf-tied bundle is starting to stir...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 AM

Thank you for this thread! I feel so much better just after reading it! I hope you all don't mind that I join in. I could say me too to almost everything on here but here are a few of my own.

*I also give DD over to DH in the middle of the night saying that she has been up for "hours" when it has only been for a feeding. Except when I do it I cry as I can cry at the drop of a dime. I really only want to go back to sleep.

*Napkin on her head! Good Idea!!! I have gotten used to picking food off of her.

*The baby is my excuse to get out of housework sometimes. I just "cannot do dishes" while feeding DD, so DH has to do it!

*After a very long night and finally getting DD to sleep at 6am, I let my older child sit in front of the tv with a box of cereal while I napped on the couch. He was a very happy boy!

*If DD falls asleep in her car seat, I leave her in the car seat until she wakes up. I don't dare mover her.

*Ditto on the nose picking!

Thanks for the laughs and making me feel good. I know I have more...
Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPineapple View Post
All these confessions make me feel a lot better. A lot of mine are repeats, but here goes...

- I thought DD had bad breath, I even told her doctor about it at her one week appt. He looked in her mouth and found nothing. Later I realized it was a cheesy-neck-stink.

thank goodness i'm not the only one!! shame on the doc for not figuring it out, tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofPL View Post
*Napkin on her head! Good Idea!!! I have gotten used to picking food off of her..
It got a lot of chuckles at my in-laws for t'giving dinner.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:45 PM

*I leave Calli in her car seat if she is sleeping too. I move her and she wakes up. At least if I leave her in there I can get the groceries put away, etc.

***Last night she was crying like crazy for food so I was in a hurry to lay down to feed her. When I went to lay down and put my arm under the pillow I elbowed her in the head. She screamed! I felt horrible and held her for like 10 minutes even though she was done crying about me elbowing her and was just crying to eat, just so I could feel better.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Old 12-01-2008, 03:53 PM

Oh, I'm a terrible carseat leaver, too. With both of my kids as newborns they didn't transfer well, and ds just didn't sleep well period, so when he was asleep, he was left! One night we got home late, and he was sleeping, and I sure did just put the whole carseat in the crib! He slept for about 4 hours and it was HEAVEN! I always feel badly for just leaving them.. but I still do it With Ainsley I have Colin to tend to, too, and am alone, with a house to clean, so while she's in it (which is rare because we don't go out much) I put groceries or whatever away, play with/tend to Colin, or clean up. And even though I'm a fan of messy house, happy kids.. there's only so much mess, 'cause once all of the dishes are dirty (no dishwasher) I've gotta wash them and the trash has to get taken out Ya do what ya gotta do!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
I cannot stop picking my son's nose! I see big crusty boogers just hanging out in there and I can't resist going in after them. I've even made up a song about it.... The Booger Fishing Song.
Just a couple of days ago I was holding the little critter while she slept (as usual) and she had a little booger right at the opening of her nose, and her mouth was wide open. I think you can figure out where this is going... : It fell right in and I was *not* going to go dig for it and risk waking her up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
I do the fast clean-up, too!
Heh! More than I do. Although it's weird, I've been keeping up with the laundry better than I ever have. Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPineapple View Post
- In one of our first nights home, in bed, she was crying and I couldn't fix it. I was very tired and frustrated, and I said 'WAH!' back at her. : I have since gained quite a bit of patience.

- She is currently sleeping, swaddled, with a scarf tied around her upper body. I can't keep her swaddled otherwise. I've googled 'swaddle scarf tie' to try and determine if maybe this isn't as crazy as I think it might be, but no results...
We still do the "WAH" thing to her. : It amuses us.

And I have *so* been wanting to do something like your scarf tie thing, but just wasn't sure about it... I think I'll try it now.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
J
We still do the "WAH" thing to her. : It amuses us.

And I have *so* been wanting to do something like your scarf tie thing, but just wasn't sure about it... I think I'll try it now.
We closed up his swaddle super tight with a safety pin for a couple of weeks. It felt really mean, but in the Harvey Karp book he talks approvingly about a Dad using duct tape to keep the swaddle on, so I felt a little better about it. Now we just use the velrco swaddles because they are so much easier.

We also say "WAH!" in his face. Sometimes his little cry just sounds so funny and fake! It's so cute! (Really, I am not a terrible Mom right?)

I do all kinds of things because we'd both (me and the LO) prefer it that way...including not bathing him often, never clipping the nails, not changing clothes very often, etc. just so he won't cry!

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 PM

The miracle blanket is soooo worth the $ and stays really tight. I tuck the tail into the upper wrap in the back and it stays until I unwrap it.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
The miracle blanket is soooo worth the $ and stays really tight. I tuck the tail into the upper wrap in the back and it stays until I unwrap it.
I second the miracle blanket! It's the only way DD will stay swaddled.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Sorry- I'm crashing from Sept and just can't resist!!!

I cannot stop picking my son's nose! I see big crusty boogers just hanging out in there and I can't resist going in after them. I've even made up a song about it.... The Booger Fishing Song.
:

OMG I am so weird.
crashing from nov I get HUGE mammoth-sized boogers out of my baby's nose with........tweezers. His nasal passages must be shaped really weird because he gets to where he can barely nurse because of the blockage and the aspirator can't get them out. When I finally use the tweezers it looks like I just picked Paul Bunyon's nose

Jesus-loving wife to my best friend and love of my life , mama to my boys and and our little one, who was blessed enough to go straight into the arms of God (11/09)
Old 12-02-2008, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post

We also say "WAH!" in his face. Sometimes his little cry just sounds so funny and fake! It's so cute! (Really, I am not a terrible Mom right?)
My confession...I like the sound of my baby's cry. Have you ever heard a baby lamb bleating? It sounds like "Maaa Maaa" That is exactly what Cora sounds like... I call her my little lamb and laugh when she cries!

BTW by the third you have too many confessions to care much about it! Also, I haven't taken many (or as many) pics of her, I swore I wouldn't be that way...but I am just too busy!

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

Old 12-05-2008, 01:45 AM

My second confession....

Reading all of these confessions from mamas who have given up on / want to give up on cloth dipes have made me not feel so guilty about not even trying them!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
My second confession....

Reading all of these confessions from mamas who have given up on / want to give up on cloth dipes have made me not feel so guilty about not even trying them!
:
Old 12-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Oh, good I'm not the only CD dropout this time around. I didn't even bother with them for the first few weeks after having a very unexpected emergency c/s. Then when I did try them, I discovered she'd wake up and cry when she peed, and frankly, with two older kids, I need a baby who sleeps more than I need to cloth diaper. At least the prefolds I bought are getting good use as burp cloths. I'll probably make another attempt with pockets when she's a little older. I feel a little guilty about the money I spent on fitteds, but DH doesn't seem to care, he's so thrilled we're doing sposies again

I'm a 3rd time mom, but I still have guilty confessions:

*I let my baby sleep on her tummy. She sleeps SO well that way.
*I use a pacifier. This baby will NOT comfort nurse. Absolutely won't. But she'll suck on a paci and let me cuddle her.
*My 3 yo watches way too much TV during the day. Except for right now she's playing computer games. DH set them up their own little account with shortcuts to some preschool type games (Sesame Street, Noggin, etc.).
*We eat out way too much lately.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Oh wow, yes I should confess these things too I suppose!

*Nora is definitely a tummy sleeper!
*We had Papa Johns 3 times last week.
*The cloth prefolds are DEFINITELY getting use as burp cloths!

And a new one -

*We have a fleece blanket we keep on the floor for Nora to nap on and it's only been washed once. Sometimes she has pieces of crap stuck to her face when she wakes up, and I just shake the blanket out and flip it over.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM

My god wash that blanket!

I'm no longer a cloth diapering drop out. I went and bought new, easy diapers. Prefolds are just not for the lazy mommy.

We had a panormous pizza Tuesday and I ate some Wednesday for breakfast.

And yeah on the 3 year olds and TV. With all this snow that's all my kids have been doing. I could entertain them I guess but the tube is the easy way out and I'm taking it way too often.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
My god wash that blanket!
Maybe I should have kept that one to myself!! :

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 12-05-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Maybe I should have kept that one to myself!! :
No worries, I just changed our sheets that we all sleep on for the first time in a month! There were many dried up previously wet spots.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
Old 12-05-2008, 05:17 PM

While reading this thread, I used a nursing pad to wipe milk from Calla's chin. I do this frequently and it always feels a little wrong to me.

DH likes to put them on her head like a little beanie, though. That's gotta be worse!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
While reading this thread, I used a nursing pad to wipe milk from Calla's chin. I do this frequently and it always feels a little wrong to me.

DH likes to put them on her head like a little beanie, though. That's gotta be worse!
Hi everyone - I love reading this thread! I use my shirt, napkin, anything easily accessible to wipe milk off my babe's chin. I am constantly leaking milk off his face.

Oh, and I haven't changed the sheets for 3 weeks either - even worse, I've had the new sheets out for a week to put on the bed & haven't gotten around to it.

Also, sometimes I pee with him in my arms. Is that really gross?

loving momma to babyboy.gif born 11/2008, and his baby brother diaper.gif5/2012, just trying to stay balanced namaste.gif

Old 12-05-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozziemama View Post
Hi everyone - I love reading this thread! I use my shirt, napkin, anything easily accessible to wipe milk off my babe's chin. I am constantly leaking milk off his face.

Oh, and I haven't changed the sheets for 3 weeks either - even worse, I've had the new sheets out for a week to put on the bed & haven't gotten around to it.

Also, sometimes I pee with him in my arms. Is that really gross?
Not as gross as nursin' on the pot I suppose A few times when ds was an infant (he was not happy being put down) when I really had to go.. if he was nursing, I just brought him along. Gotta do what ya gotta do, and some things can only be put off for so long!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
Not as gross as nursin' on the pot I suppose...
:

User Tag List