Confessions of a First-Time Mom - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozziemama View Post
Also, sometimes I pee with him in my arms. Is that really gross?
Nah, but if you're using a carrier, watch out..the back straps of my mei tai took a dip in the toilet the other day. Yucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyowl View Post

* And for the grand finale: I have dropped her. :
Officially crawling into this boat with you as of last night...
Old 12-05-2008, 06:44 PM

I've caught myself giving a disappointed sigh when the baby stirs or I hear my 3yo coming to ask me one of his questions that he's asked a million times previously the same day.

The baby refuses a pacifier, and when he's screaming in the car and I can't pull over and he starts REALLY getting worked up, I sigh to myself, "Oh brother, here we go...." :

Cloth diapers temporarily went out the window weeks ago.

I sleep in the recliner chair almost on a regular basis. A few nights when I tried sleeping in bed, he spit up and I find it so disgusting that i just moved to the chair where he sits sort of reclined and rarely spits up. Which is where I was last night when I dropped him. :

He's used to me "sternly" talking to him about fussing. He gave me his first huge smile when, after he screamed all the way home from picking my husband up from work (about 5 mins away), I took him out, and he calmed right down, went into the house and picked him up and we looked face to face, and I ask him, "Izzy. Why on EARTH are you ALWAYS fussing!?" He looked at me and gave a huge smirk that gave way to a gigantic smile. Like he knew exactly what he was doing. I felt like I had just got punk'd.

He had his first bath in seven weeks since the hospital last night.

I'm REALLY resenting his issues with dairy right now. Geez, what in the world am I supposed to do with the 16 boxes of WIC Lactose Free milk I have in the fridge?

When he was first born, I thought his nose was weird, with the little yellowish whiteheads on it, and that it was sort of big and wide and look like a miniature image of my husban's nose. I thought it was weird how his fingernails curved over his fingers. He has two little bumps on his gums where his bottom two front teeth will be one day that were kinda weird. He has many of the weirdities and oddities that my husband has and I think, gosh, he didn't get that from me. : Including the very large frame, and the pounds he packs on, and my husband's giant feet.

I'm sure there is more, but I'm either too embarrassed to put it, or can't remember it all.

Oh! And sometimes if my kids are in pajamas and I gotta go somewhere, I just throw coats over them and go, especially the baby who hates, nay, DETESTS being dressed.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so those of you who nurse/hold/whatever on the toilet, how do you wipe/pull up your pants/etc.? I can't figure out those logistics, so honesly I just throw her in her crib and let her cry for a few minutes if need be.

Oh, and I am SO very glad to hear that I am not the only one who washes sheets all too infrequently!

I want pizza now. Or, oooh, Taco Bell. The drive-thru people won't care that it's 3 pm and I'm still in my jammies, right??
Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617 View Post
He's used to me "sternly" talking to him about fussing. He gave me his first huge smile when, after he screamed all the way home from picking my husband up from work (about 5 mins away), I took him out, and he calmed right down, went into the house and picked him up and we looked face to face, and I ask him, "Izzy. Why on EARTH are you ALWAYS fussing!?" He looked at me and gave a huge smirk that gave way to a gigantic smile. Like he knew exactly what he was doing. I felt like I had just got punk'd.
Yup! Calli did a similar thing to me the other night. I was trying to rock her to sleep so I could go to bed. She finally fell asleep and I figured I should probably sit there for a few more minutes and watch T.V. to make SURE she was asleep before I put her down for the night. Well about 5 minutes later I looked down at her and her big eyes were staring me right in the face. I told her "Don't you know you are supposed to be sleeping right now?". She put her chin to her chest and gave me the biggest, slyest smile I have seen. It was almost like she knew what I had said to her LOL.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Old 12-05-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPineapple View Post
Nah, but if you're using a carrier, watch out..the back straps of my mei tai took a dip in the toilet the other day. Yucky.
I've done that before

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM

For using the potty while holding her... I've gotten really good at working the pants up one side at a time.... or sometimes I put her down on the bathroom floor mat if I'm having a hard time. :

I leave her laying on the changing table to go grab something I've forgotten... even though I know how dangerous that is... b/c I know she can't roll yet... but SOMEDAY she'll be able to roll and I just hope I don't discover that b/c she's rolled off the changing table.

This morning I put her in the swing and told her I'd be right back, I just needed to use the potty and blow my nose... but then I ate breakfast while reading a book and then got dressed and she kept muttering and yawning and I knew she was tired and I should go get her in the wrap for her nap... but by the time I'd gotten to her she'd already passed out... so I came on the internet! I felt like a really crappy Mommy for abandoning her to the swing.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
No worries, I just changed our sheets that we all sleep on for the first time in a month! There were many dried up previously wet spots.
That's what I've been forgetting! Eww. It's been a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
While reading this thread, I used a nursing pad to wipe milk from Calla's chin. I do this frequently and it always feels a little wrong to me.

!
I totally do this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
Not as gross as nursin' on the pot I suppose A few times when ds was an infant (he was not happy being put down) when I really had to go.. if he was nursing, I just brought him along. Gotta do what ya gotta do, and some things can only be put off for so long!
BTDT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
For using the potty while holding her... I've gotten really good at working the pants up one side at a time.... or sometimes I put her down on the bathroom floor mat if I'm having a hard time. :
Stretchy pants.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:35 PM

:
Old 12-05-2008, 08:48 PM

After one particular hard night, my husbnad FINALLY got the 3yo to sleep, and I got the cranky little one to sleep, and put him down in bed, I tiptoeskipped around the house whispering "I'M FREE!!" I knew it could be 15 mins later when the little one got up and wanted to nurse some more (the Everlasting Growth Spurt Man) but I didn't care if it was 2 mins or 1 hour, I was happy that I had gotten a few seconds of having my body and my ears all to myself.

Oh! And I'm never on time anywhere anymore. And what's more, I don't care.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I leave her laying on the changing table to go grab something I've forgotten... even though I know how dangerous that is... b/c I know she can't roll yet... but SOMEDAY she'll be able to roll and I just hope I don't discover that b/c she's rolled off the changing table.
:
Old 12-06-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
No worries, I just changed our sheets that we all sleep on for the first time in a month! There were many dried up previously wet spots.
Uh, that's what receiving blankets are for, right? to cover those wet spots up in the night? Some of mine have gotten more use that way rather than being used as actual blankets--which I don't have a whole lot of need for since my baby practically lives in the sling and co-sleeps at night.

I stripped a pair of sheets off the bed and ran them through the washer. In the meantime I put a pair of flannel sheets on since it got cold and the clean sheets got piled on top of a laundry basket. Then they found their way to the love seat--I put them there so I'd remember to fold them. But I got sick of looking at them, so I piled them on my bed to get them out of the way, after which my children (who were in my room watching a movie because I banished them from the living room while the baby was sleeping) shoved them onto the floor where they've been for oh. . . 3ish days or so. I'm going to have to rewash them I think, if nothing else to get the wrinkles out, LOL.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Old 12-06-2008, 02:30 PM

I had an easily preparable supper planned last night, and I jst didn;t do it. I didn't want to.

DH came home, and I told him to order Pizza.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-06-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
I had an easily preparable supper planned last night, and I jst didn;t do it. I didn't want to.

DH came home, and I told him to order Pizza.
I still have frozen food that I made before she was born in the freezer. I keep forgetting to set them out to defrost. We've eaten macaroni and cheese (mmm! probably more than we should, and yes, done pizza or fast food more than we should. I have grand plans to make weekly menus so I'll always know what to fix. But then, I had grand plans to not pick at Eowyn's baby acne too.

(I only picked at the ones on her head though. That way if they scar, then at least her hair will cover it.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
Uh, that's what receiving blankets are for, right? to cover those wet spots up in the night? Some of mine have gotten more use that way rather than being used as actual blankets--which I don't have a whole lot of need for since my baby practically lives in the sling and co-sleeps at night.
Me too!

I second the pizza thing except I go get take and bake and blast the music in the car for some down time. After eating the pizza I actually complain that I am not losing weight faster!

My DD has acid reflux and would not co-sleep very well last night, so she spent the night in her car seat...again.

I am still too embarassed to NIP, so I nursed in the bathroom at Target the other day while using the bathroom.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofPL View Post
Me too!

I second the pizza thing except I go get take and bake and blast the music in the car for some down time. After eating the pizza I actually complain that I am not losing weight faster!

My DD has acid reflux and would not co-sleep very well last night, so she spent the night in her car seat...again.

I am still too embarassed to NIP, so I nursed in the bathroom at Target the other day while using the bathroom.

I usually grab a random article of clothing, or two, and take them into the fitting room to pretend to "try them on" when really I'm sitting in there nursing. I don't feel like going through any potential drama with the fitting room employee.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 PM

I NIP on a bench in the middle of the mall. Just LET someone come up and say something to me. . . I'm armed!

I too, complain about not losing weight fast enough, even after pizza. . .

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM

I NIP wherever I happen to be. I'll admit I prefer something comfy to sit on that is backed. So far I've nursed at Ikea, the swimming pool, pizza restaurant, pho restaurants, wings restaurant, mall, and parking lot of Michael's. I don't cover up when I nurse, but I do wear nursing shirts (mostly to cover my belly). I'm with Heidirk. If someone were to ever say something to me, they'd get an earful from either dh or me. In Oregon, we're allowed to nurse freely in public wherever babies are allowed.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617 View Post
I usually grab a random article of clothing, or two, and take them into the fitting room to pretend to "try them on" when really I'm sitting in there nursing. I don't feel like going through any potential drama with the fitting room employee.
OMG. Thank you for confessing this. What a good idea! I'm still NIP-shy.

I too eat crap and then complain the weight isn't coming off fast enough.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 PM

* I told Ella i was going to sell her to the gypsies if she didn't stop crying.
* I too don't always change wet diapers right away at night.
* I spend way too much time online or just staring at her during the day, then tell DH that I really did try to get stuff done around the house.
* I let the dog cuddle DD when she's in my lap. They look so cute lying there all snuggled and it's really warm too!
* I eat over DD. I realised the other night she had pizza sauce from when I was eating cold pizza for breakfast on her neck. Oops.
* I love my baby swing. I feel so bad for this one.
* I sing about everything. I didn't even realise it until DH was home one day and caught me singing "dirty diaper, poopy butt, stinky girl" to Ella when I was changing her.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
* I told Ella i was going to sell her to the gypsies if she didn't stop crying.
I just told this to Ainsley a couple of nights ago She was driving me nuts!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 PM

We tell Nora we're going to leave her on top of the mountain when she cries and won't stop.

Ok - I have a real confession. I really do not want to go back to work. I hate thinking that Nora's going to spend more time with my MIL than with me in just a few short weeks. I have every intention of quitting my job within weeks of going back.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 12-08-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
We tell Nora we're going to leave her on top of the mountain when she cries and won't stop.

Ok - I have a real confession. I really do not want to go back to work. I hate thinking that Nora's going to spend more time with my MIL than with me in just a few short weeks. I have every intention of quitting my job within weeks of going back.
I'm all for it Carrie. If you and your hubby can financially swing it, I think SAH is awesome. Since I make almost 70% of our household income, it's not feasible for us at the moment. I begged my dh to find a new, higher paying job so I could quit mine until the kids were school aged. He was really lazy at looking and it just got to be too late. Now the market is CRAP and it definitely won't happen.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 AM

Ok.. This is a confession.. and I am not a first time mom but a first time daddy...

I cut my sweet Calla's nails today since we were going to Grammy and Popples (my niece and nephew named my dad that, ) today. One time when I cut, she cried for about two seconds and then stopped, I looked and didn't see anything, later we realized I cut her little thumb. She doesn't seem to mind, but I feel horrible.

CrazyBee

Husband to My Love CrossCat and Daddy to My Sweet Calla!
Old 12-08-2008, 04:42 AM

^ I'm so freaked out that I might cut her that I don't cut her nails!! Sometimes when she's asleep I'll use my own nails to rip the really bad ones off, but luckily she doesn't scratch herself with her claws.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
^ I'm so freaked out that I might cut her that I don't cut her nails!! Sometimes when she's asleep I'll use my own nails to rip the really bad ones off, but luckily she doesn't scratch herself with her claws.
I never cut Colin's nails with clippers until he was almost TWO because I was afraid of that! I either was an animal and bite them off (weird right? But apparently a lot of people do it, seriously!) or as he got bigger dh cut them.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
^ I'm so freaked out that I might cut her that I don't cut her nails!!
Me too. I always beg Bee do it. If I would use the baby fingernail file daily, maybe we wouldn't need to cut at all???

Since Bill confessed nipping Calla's thumb (it's just a tiny tiny cut), I'll share the details of Calla's very first booboo - courtesy of her loving mother.

It was one of her very first outings and I was changing her diaper in the backseat of the car. She started wailing very angrily and loud. I was surprised that she was being so uncharacteristically squirmy and mad... UNTIL I realized I was pressing her fontanelle into/under the carseat base. I scooped her up right away and noticed that I had scraped her head hard enough for it to bleed a bit. I was so horrified that I had hurt my little three week old baby! It hurt my heart. She seems none the worse for wear, though.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
* I sing about everything. I didn't even realise it until DH was home one day and caught me singing "dirty diaper, poopy butt, stinky girl" to Ella when I was changing her.
Me! Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybee View Post
Ok.. This is a confession.. and I am not a first time mom but a first time daddy...

I cut my sweet Calla's nails today since we were going to Grammy and Popples (my niece and nephew named my dad that, ) today. One time when I cut, she cried for about two seconds and then stopped, I looked and didn't see anything, later we realized I cut her little thumb. She doesn't seem to mind, but I feel horrible.

CrazyBee

Husband to My Love CrossCat and Daddy to My Sweet Calla!
Did you see mine? I cut my tiny guy, and I'm not even a first timer! He cried and bled, and I had to figure out how to put a bandaid on a tiny baby's finger! I felt sick, but it healed very quickly.

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 PM

On Thanksgiving DH's aunt mentioned that Eleanor's nails were kind of long (we had never cut them), so when we got back he got out the clippers. Well, he ended up clipping *two* of her fingers, but it was only with the second one that she started to cry. Her eyes welled up and she just started wailing at him with the saddest look on her face - he says it traumatized him for life! She, of course, seemed to have forgotten all about it 5 minutes later. So now fingernail cutting is another one of Mommy's duties, although I haven't done it yet.

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
Old 12-09-2008, 02:32 PM

This thread is so great! I have a few.

I frequently put off changing dirty diapers "so she can finish" lol.

The other day I woke up and changed the FULLEST (disposable) diaper in the world! It was so wet. I cant beleive it didn explode.

I have scratched off the head of many, many baby zits. I dont press down w/ 2 fingers. I only scratch gently on the ones that are about to blow. She doesnt cry but she gives me a dirty look.

I am genuinely embarressed about her ear tags (which I have decided we are going to remove), horrible baby acne, and umbilical hernia. I feel like she's defective. I feel really bad that these embaress me. Mostly the skin tags on her ears.

User Tag List