Confessions of a First-Time Mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 123 Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to declare my shortcomings to the whole internet, so here goes!

1) I have - more than once, to my eternal shame - heard that the little bugger has gone poo and told myself I'd change her in just a few minutes, then fallen asleep.

2) I *really* want to poke at her little baby zits and milia. Not going to, but want to.

3) I've completely forgotten to brush my teeth before bed too gosh darn many times since she was born. This is especially bad when you've eaten oreos for breakfast.

4) If she spits up a little in the middle of the night I just lay one of her prefolds over the mess so neither of us are laying in it and go back to sleep.

5) Sometimes when she's crying and I don't know why (she's fed, dry, warm, and doesn't appear to be in pain) I just sit cuddling her and laugh at her. First off, what else is there to do? Better to laugh than join in the crying! Second off, some of the faces and sounds she makes while crying are bloody hilarious.

I could go on, but instead I think I'll open up the thread to others. Come on! Share your shortcomings too.
#2 of 123 Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Since I'm not a first time mommy, I'll just :
#3 of 123 Old 11-25-2008, 08:52 PM

We don't bathe him until he starts to smell like old cheese. This is surprisingly rare.

Sometimes I'm so engorged and uncomfortable that I feed him even though I'm pretty sure he's not hungry. This comforts us both but does result in a lot of spitting and drooling and milk leaking.

Unless he's had a blowout I only wipe him with a cotton ball and plain water. I try not to use anything else on his skin unless he's really messy. So far, so good.

I still get kind of embarrassed when I have to tuck his penis down during a diaper change, or lift his scrotum to get at those little stringy poo pieces. I feel like I'm violating his privacy or something.

We have normal looking clothes for him (pants and shirts and sweaters) but I haven't put them on him yet because onesies are so much more convenient.

I, too, have laughed at the faces he's made while crying. Sometimes if I smile and giggle at him he stops crying, so maybe it's not so bad...

That ugly plastic bouncer I scoffed at at our baby shower is the ONLY thing that allows me to take a shower or use the bathroom or brush my teeth. What a fool I was.

ETA: Just realized this isn't my DDC. Sorry for crashing your party!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#4 of 123 Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 PM

Oooh, how fun! A confession thread!

*Sometimes I think my little darling isn't very cute... like down right un-cute. I feel better about it b/c other times I think she's the cutest thing ever. But there *are* times...

*Sometimes I hear her rooting and groaning and generally making I'm awake and would like to eat noises in the wee hours of the morning and I ignore her and fall back asleep b/c she's not *really insistent* yet and that extra 15 min of sleep seems really important right then.

*Sometimes I put her back in her co-sleeper with a wet dipe b/c I've just won the sleep battle and I'm not waking her up to change her 4th wet dipe in the last 5 min... ok, this one makes me really want to :

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#5 of 123 Old 11-25-2008, 09:35 PM

Well as a first time mom to a girl, I, too, feel like I'm violating her when I have to dig in and pry apart her goods to get the poo out.

And.. not necessary a first timer thing, but when she wakes up at night I pray she'll just go back to sleep instead of want to eat since she is a royal pita to get latched when she's half asleep, and she always ends up hurting me Surprisingly, she normally does or will only take one side.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#6 of 123 Old 11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
2) I *really* want to poke at her little baby zits and milia. Not going to, but want to.
wait until the baby gets cradle cap, that stuff is irresistible. Brings out my inner primate and I just want to pick it off...
#7 of 123 Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 PM

* I don't shower unless I really start to smell. This is fairly frequently, though, since I usually forget to put on deodorant.

* After she's been really fussy and difficult I sometimes have to force myself to be affectionate with her.

* I sometimes don't change a poopy diaper right away if I'm in the middle of something else (including reading this site and truemomconfessions), especially if she falls asleep right after doing it.

* And for the grand finale: I have dropped her. :

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
#8 of 123 Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Since I'm not a first time mommy, I'll just :
No, please join in! If you want to, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
We don't bathe him until he starts to smell like old cheese. This is surprisingly rare.
Um, we gave her a bath for the first time last night, at one month old

And I only bought onesies and sleepers, 'cause I knew I'd be too lazy for "real" clothes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
*Sometimes I think my little darling isn't very cute... like down right un-cute. I feel better about it b/c other times I think she's the cutest thing ever. But there *are* times...
No way! She's adorable. Although speaking of, I did apologize to Eowyn earlier for the fact that she may end up looking like me. And you reminded me that I forgot one - every. single. morning. when she starts wiggling around I tell her no, that I don't WANT to sit up and feed her, I want to sleep! It's probably a good thing she doesn't understand yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
Well as a first time mom to a girl, I, too, feel like I'm violating her when I have to dig in and pry apart her goods to get the poo out.
Yup yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
wait until the baby gets cradle cap, that stuff is irresistible. Brings out my inner primate and I just want to pick it off...
I don't think she has actual cradle cap, but her little head does have the acne and lots of dry skin... I have picked at the flakes a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyowl View Post
* I don't shower unless I really start to smell. This is fairly frequently, though, since I usually forget to put on deodorant.
Ha! I just go put on deodorant.

Quote:
I dropped my oldest niece when she was 9 months old. On her head. On hard flooring. It's just a matter of time 'til I do it to Eowyn, I'm sure.
#9 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
No, please join in! If you want to, that is.
Awesome... I feel like second time moms might have some pretty good confessions...

*My baby has had three baths including the one she got from the nurses in the hospital. She is 30 days old.*

*I've lied to dh in the middle of the night about her being "awake for hours" when I've really just fed her only to realize she's wide awake and I don't want to deal with it.*

*Her co-sleeper is filled with dog fur and I DO have an extra sheet*

*I, too, don't think my baby isn't all that cute right now with her balding head and zitty face*

*I bought a package of 'sposies so I can put one on her after her 2am feed. This way I can keep her in bed with me in the early morning and not have the two of us lie in a puddle of baby piss since I'm WAY too lazy to change her dip.*

*I eat brussels sprouts, garlic, onion, and other offending morsels: knowing full well she'll be uncomfortable from it :*

*I'll take a shower as she's starting to wake up and squirming/rooting in her co-sleeper and have dh deal with a hungry baby while I relish in the HOT water.*

Okay. That's enough for now, but I'm sure I have more.
#10 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 10:38 AM

*I often don't change his diaper for 8 or 9 hours at night even though I know he has a diaper rash because it will wake him up and he'll cry and have a harder time going to sleep. I am trying to be better about this :

*I pick at the little flakes in his hair sometimes. And I like rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

*I don't wash his hands until they are really sticky, smell like sour laundry, and are full of lint. :Puke

*I take a shower every day even though I don't stink and never do anything just to get a away from the baby a little.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#11 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post

4) If she spits up a little in the middle of the night I just lay one of her prefolds over the mess so neither of us are laying in it and go back to sleep.
Me too - I put muslins down under her head (flat) so that if she spits up at night I can just take it away.

Quote:

*Sometimes I hear her rooting and groaning and generally making I'm awake and would like to eat noises in the wee hours of the morning and I ignore her and fall back asleep b/c she's not *really insistent* yet and that extra 15 min of sleep seems really important right then.
Oh yes. Often I fall asleep or pretend to be asleep just wishing she'd give me a few more minutes (or hours!) until my husband prods me and tells me she's hungry :. Although very occasionally this will pay off, as she'll go back to sleep for 30 mins or an hour - but this is rare.

Quote:

*I've lied to dh in the middle of the night about her being "awake for hours" when I've really just fed her only to realize she's wide awake and I don't want to deal with it.*
Not done this yet but am sure it's only a matter of time.

*I don't wash her face often enough (given she's got baby acne) because it makes her cry. Must do it!

* I spend far too much time on here when I should be getting on with the housework

* I hardly know what she looks like naked because she's only had five baths, and I only change her clothes when she spits up and they get wet (admittedly usually at least once a day).

Will no doubt think of some more later.
#12 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, disposables! I'm keeping some on hand, ostensibly so if we ever leave her with someone they don't have to deal with the cloth, but really so I can use them for nighttime if I want. I don't feel as bad if they don't get changed as often as cloth, and good grief changing diapers in the middle of the night is annoying. :

(I *do* change the cloth diapers regularly in the daytime though!)

mamanurse, pretty much everything we own is covered in dog fur too.
#13 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to motherhood!

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#14 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 PM

This thread is hilarious. And makes me feel so much better!!! As pretty much everything everyone has said is true for me too!!! Will try to find ones that haven't already been said...

*I poke her in the middle of the night to make sure she's still alive

*Or I wake up my husband to get him to make sure she's still alive and then tell me

*Have glanced down when she's nursing to see cat/dog hairs sticking out the side of her mouth.

*We do lots of on the chest tummy time but not a lot on a blanket on the floor. She just looks so pathetic lying there.

*Have put her in the bouncy seat, gotten distracted by something on-line/on the computer, only to look up and find her still looking at me, entranced. She's perfectly happy/content but I feel like she's been gazing at me adoringly when I'm gazing adoringly at...the computer.

*Sometimes when trying to get out of the house on time I decide not to change her diaper even though I know she probably needs it.

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)
#15 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
Oh, I'm so glad it's not me! I often tell her I'm not trying to molest her I just have to get the poo out of her vag!

Quote:
Ours fell off the bed onto the hardwood floor when she was just a few DAYS old. And my even bigger confession is that I still really blame DH for this, b/c he was the one holding her and he let her roll off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
*I take a shower every day even though I don't stink and never do anything just to get a away from the baby a little.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbah View Post
* I spend far too much time on here when I should be getting on with the housework
Me too! On days when I'm especially lazy I tell DH she was a pill all day so I didn't even get a chance to do any laundry or clean the kitchen, even if she slept like a dream and I was just on MDC or something all day.

And some of my own -

Sometimes I put her in the car and then go to get in when I realize I've forgotten my sunglasses inside or something, so I leave her in the car to run back in. I don't know why but I feel like someone is going to call CPS on me in those 10 seconds it takes me to get back out to the car.

I took her for a walk the other day and it was flurrying out. I just had to get out of the house even though I knew it was probably too cold to have her outdoors.

We've switched to disposables. I know, whatever.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#16 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:

This made me laugh and laugh. I haven't done it but I can SO see myself doing it.

I'll basically do anything to get a few extra minutes, hours, moments, nanoseconds of sleep. Including ignoring minor fussing ("I'm sort of awake, Mami!" noises), painfully engorged breasts, spit up.

#17 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniturtle View Post
*Have glanced down when she's nursing to see cat/dog hairs sticking out the side of her mouth.
This happens all the time! Our cat's hair is everywhere.. I figure we consume quite a bit of it so it'll be ok if she does.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#18 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcimama View Post
Welcome to motherhood!
Hee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniturtle View Post
This thread is hilarious. And makes me feel so much better!!! As pretty much everything everyone has said is true for me too!!! Will try to find ones that haven't already been said...

*I poke her in the middle of the night to make sure she's still alive
I feel much better too!! Very glad I started this.

I sleep with her curled up next to me, facing me, with her face practically in my boobs. Even though they're small and hardly a suffocation hazard, I can't actually fall asleep until I've checked 3 or 4 times that her little nose is in the clear.

Quote:
This happens all the time! Our cat's hair is everywhere.. I figure we consume quite a bit of it so it'll be ok if she does.
EXACTLY my theory too! In fact, one of my goals in life is to get to the bottom of a glass of water *without* finding a dog hair in it.

Oh, here's another one, that in theory I feel bad about - When her latch was really craptacular I got so very frustrated with her constantly wanting to nurse to sleep all. the. time. Also, I wanted to close my shirt every now and then. So I actively worked on getting her to take my finger instead, and now we're working on going from that to a pacifier. I'm still holding her, she's still getting her sucking needs met, but now I don't fear that I'm going to resent her every time she's hungry. (I wouldn't mind just using my finger, but that does make it awfully hard to hold a book to read. Ok, ok... makes it hard to hold the remote. )

ETA: Carrie - I've done the leave-her-in-the-car-for-30-seconds thing too. Hard not to when one is as scatterbrained as I am. Quite honestly, I probably should not have been allowed to reproduce.
#19 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Me Toos:
* Cat hair everywhere (who has time to clean it up now???), including baby's mouth sometimes
*Put burp pads under her head in the bed at night so I can remove it easily if she spits up or if breast milk leaks out of her mouth while nursing.
*Poke her to see if she's still breathing. (Caught DH doing it this morning, too, but he thought I was sleeping... )
*Left her in car seat while I ran back into house to get something I forgot.
*Feel weird about getting the poo out of her nooks and crannies.

Is It Just Me:
*Threatened to take her to the fire station when she was crying inconsolably on Day 3. (I was joking, though.)
*Sometimes when I eat while wearing her in the wrap or sling, I put a napkin on top of her little head. She looks like the flying nun.
*Sometimes when I eat while wearing her, I DON'T put a napkin on top of her little head. :
*Researched "bad baby breath" extensively only to find nothing was working to cure her bad breath until the day DH noticed that the smell wasn't coming from her mouth but instead from icky gunk that had collected in one of her very deep neck creases. : The icky gunk was yeast.
*Had previously noticed the gunk in her neck crease and assumed it was vernix, so I did nothing about it. : : :

ETA: I love this thread. It makes me feel better and it's quite amusing!
#20 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
Is It Just Me:
*Threatened to take her to the fire station when she was crying inconsolably on Day 3. (I was joking, though.)
*Sometimes when I eat while wearing her in the wrap or sling, I put a napkin on top of her little head. She looks like the flying nun.
*Sometimes when I eat while wearing her, I DON'T put a napkin on top of her little head. :
I asked our middle dog if he wanted a baby one night early on when nothing was working to console her. I was mostly joking though.

I do the napkin thing too.

I do the no napkin thing too. Have picked chip crumbs out of her hair on more than one occasion.
#21 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

We've switched to disposables. I know, whatever.
Why is it that they seem so much easier? When you're all jazzed about cloth diapering it seems so easy and logical. Where the hell does that enthusiasm go at 4 am?

I've decided the only way I'm sticking to cloth when we have to size up to mediums is if I can afford all bumgenuis AIO's. I freaking hate prefolds lately. They're so easy to wash and they get so clean... simplicity right? Add a snappi or a wiggly baby and they're bleached, woven HELL. All that said, we're still using 7th gen at night but usually only 2-3 so it's not too bad.
#22 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 PM

*The food-in-the-hair thing happens quite often at our house. She finds my dinner time to be her dinner time at all. It doesn't matter. The minute I sit down to eat she gets hungry too. I got sick of throwing food away that I eat overtop of her now.

*Have left in her in a dirty onsie for a full day. It wasn't wet with spit up....anymore.

*I also go back to sleep if I know she is waking up and making the "I'm hungry but not so hungry that I am screaming" noises. Once in a while she will go back to sleep.

Can we do confessions of a first time dad too?

*Since I had a c/s I couldn't carry her in her carseat. DH got out of the truck, locked the doors and was halfway up the front sidewalk before I could spit out "Aren't you going to take your daughter?" She was only a week and half old and it was one of the first times we had gone out so he wasn't used to having to take her out of the truck.

*He went to put her (in the carseat) into the truck and when he opened the door the wind caught it. He tried to catch the door and the carseat slipped out of his hands and he dropped the carseat with her in it.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#23 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 PM

*I totally eat over Thalia too. I've even found myself using her little body, along with the boppy, to prop up my bowl/plate. I feel pretty bad about it though and usually snatch up the bowl. :

#24 of 123 Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=crosscat;12688422]

Is It Just Me:
QUOTE]

Same here, The other day a mayo-y onion fell on her head. Took me a while to notice it there (she was in the babyhawk) and when I did I pointed it out to everyone to laugh at before I cleaned it up.. which was just me picking it up, putting it in my mouth and wiping her head with my finger. She still smelled like subway hours later, haha! With her, just likek with ds, I find crumbs in her neck rolls regularly.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#25 of 123 Old 11-27-2008, 01:53 AM

Sorry- I'm crashing from Sept and just can't resist!!!

I cannot stop picking my son's nose! I see big crusty boogers just hanging out in there and I can't resist going in after them. I've even made up a song about it.... The Booger Fishing Song.
:

OMG I am so weird.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#26 of 123 Old 11-29-2008, 05:31 PM

This is the best thread ever!

I also forget (or just don't want) to brush my teeth, baby doesn't care and that's two minutes that can be spent sleeping.

I spent $150. on cloth diapers I'm not using. I will use them, but friends keep giving me disposables I HAVE to use up.

I hardly ever change her in the night.

I have 3 other children who haven't opened a school book since she was born.

In the beginning when friends wanted to come see my new baby I kinda didn't want them to because I was afraid they would come at a time I could be sleeping...which was almost anytime.
#27 of 123 Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 PM

2nd timer here. . .

yesterday I cut his finger with the nail clippers. . . :

glad ya'll are here, I feel much better now!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#28 of 123 Old 11-29-2008, 08:03 PM

* I have woken up DH at the crack of dawn on his day off to tell him the baby has been up all night when he wasn't. This earns me hours of sleeping in sleep while he deals with bright eyed, well slept baby all morning!

* I too will not change a poop right away... this one makes me feel super guilty when his coolie is red.

* I too judged ugly plastic seats that vibrate and swore I would soothe my baby in more natural ways. The damn plastic seat is the only thing that allows me a shower most days...

* I have not bathed him in 12 days. I didn't wipe his eye crusties all day yesterday. He wore a dirty onesie today.

* I still use disposables at night, despite my insistance on buying more absorbent night time cloth diapers.

* I run around in the last half hour before DH gets home cleaning up my mess of the day and then tell him I have been doing chores during naps instead of spending so much time on the internet and watching TV during naps.

(I'm realizing this thread has me lying to my husband twice! I feel bad - he is awesome. I think he gets some love tonight.

Thanks for starting this and making me feel SO much better about my "bad" mommy moments...:
#29 of 123 Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
2nd timer here. . .

yesterday I cut his finger with the nail clippers. . . :
I've BTDT. That's why my babe's fingernails and toenails are uber long and I just cover them with the mittens or foldover onesies. I hate to file nails and dh doesn't do anything without being asked 1 million times. Maybe my mom will cut them in January when I go back to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.rye View Post
* I have woken up DH at the crack of dawn on his day off to tell him the baby has been up all night when he wasn't. This earns me hours of sleeping in sleep while he deals with bright eyed, well slept baby all morning!
This is one fabulous idea. I've never thought to do it in the morning

And more from me...

*My baby has been in the same outfit for 3 days now. There's still a smidgeon of brussels sprouts on her back from Thanksgiving dinner. All the other food/dirt has worn or fallen off by now.*

*Last night when I'd been holding a screaming, inconsolable, recently fed Hazel for 3 hours I went and hid in the bedroom with earplugs in for an hour while dh wrangled her. When he came and got me she fed for a half hour : I'd told him she wasn't hungry..*

*I yelled at dd1 for playing her recorder downstairs because Hazel had just fallen asleep after 4 hours of being awake*

*I purposely didn't wash my cloth diapers so I could take her to the festivities of yesterday in 'sposies.*
#30 of 123 Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 PM

i always eat over babe, somuch so that i had to wash cury stains out of my sukara bloom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page