anyone else have a fussy/cranky baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS was such a mellow, easy-going baby - having a very cranky DD has been so different (and a tad bit difficult). i have tried cutting things from my diet, trying to pay attention to what makes her happy, etc. she hates the sling, so i bought a moby today. (i can tell i'm going to have a HUGE learning curve with that wrap!) DD pukes a lot, she HATES riding in the car, and if she isn't eating or sleeping, she's basically crabby. she's not crazy about going on walks either. on the plus side, she sleeps quite well and doesn't mind diaper changes anymore. i am thinking (hoping) she will grow out of it as she gets a little older and more "settled"......hopefully this occurs before i go back to work, or leaving her will be that much harder!

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
#2 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 AM

nak

re:moby wrap - we love ours! there are several vids on youtube that you can watch to help learn how to use it. i found many vids there to be very helpful.

gl with your fussy baby!
#3 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 05:44 PM

We thought Lilith was a fussy baby. So much fussier than her big sister...and then we found out she was starving! .....She never acted starvy on the boob, she was just always very sleepy and when she wasn't sleeping...she was very very cranky. I had to start her on formula when we found out her weight gain was very poor at 6 weeks, and since then she's like a new baby. Awake. Happy. Alert. Content.

Don't know that my experience helps in your case though!
#4 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 11:09 PM

Granted my baby has acid reflux, and I don't think the meds are cutting it for him (Prevacid).

But YES I definitely have a cranky/fussy baby.... it's soooo exhausting too!

((hugs))

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#5 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemnor View Post
....and since then she's like a new baby. Awake. Happy. Alert. Content.
i'm glad you were able to figure it out for your DD. so are you nursing and feeding w/formula? DD gained 2 pounds in 3 weeks, so i think her weight gain is OK. we don't do well visits though, so i'm not sure where she's at now at 5 weeks? she seems to be eating quite well. hmmmm.

sonshine - thanks. i know she won't be fussy forever. it's just so hard, not knowing what she needs. i think she's allergic to her car seat, frankly.

#6 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 01:46 PM

my lilith is also cranky we figured out recently that she's sensitive to dairy. she's been a little happier since i cut it out of my diet. she hates being in the car (just like her big sister) and has just come down with a cold so, yeah, she's far from the picture of contentedness
#7 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 03:33 PM

i do!
although i have to say, we turned a corner now that he can SEE more! he seemed so frustrated in hi tiny infant self... now he has stretches where he stares at me and things and is beginning to smile!

like others, cutting dairy out helped tremendously...

the moby is great for outings - i second the suggestion to watch a youtube video of it being tied - within a few days, we had it down pat!

he too, hates his car seat...

i do think there is a touch of reflux going on - he tends to be crankiest after feeedings. we ry to hold him upright afterwards and have angled the co-sleeper 45 degrees.

i also have an overactive letdown and realized he was swallowing so much air when he ate... we now position him above the breast for less agressive milk flow.

gripe water has also been a godsend for gas and hurting hiccups!

good luck with your fussy one - i have a theory that the fussy ones turn out to be brilliant ones!
#8 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 05:16 PM

I have been lucky enough to have a generally content baby - with the exception of a few days when I was suffering from a nasty stomach bug (picked up by my oldest at preschool) which impacted my supply and made him cranky at night. As soon as I felt I could hold down food I crammed myself full of oatmeal and he became much happier.

I have also noticed occasional signs of reflux, but they are intermittent and quite mild and don't seem to bother him, so I don't let them bother me.
#9 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 05:58 PM

DD started being really fussy at night but I cut dairy out of my diet 3 days ago and it made a huge difference.
#10 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.rye View Post
gripe water has also been a godsend for gas and hurting hiccups!
i had to look this up, as i'd never heard of it! interesting - i will definitely give it a try. she gets really mad when she gets hiccups too, poor thing.

re: dairy, fortunately i don't eat dairy. we had allergy testing done and i cut out wheat for 3 weeks, but nothing changed. phbbt!

thanks for the info re: youtube vids, i did watch a bunch on the moby wrap. i am still totally perplexed and can't seem to wrap it tight enough, but i'm willing myself to be patient!!

#11 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=jlbaby;12695938]i'm glad you were able to figure it out for your DD. so are you nursing and feeding w/formula? DD gained 2 pounds in 3 weeks, so i think her weight gain is OK. we don't do well visits though, so i'm not sure where she's at now at 5 weeks? she seems to be eating quite well. hmmmm.QUOTE]

Well, my milk is completely gone..so she's on formula now. Boooo.

I suspected issues before the well baby check confirmed. I've always been a poor milk producer...but I think the claritin I took for a hideous viral cold turned my supply from barely enough to not enough...to dry.

Her face looked very thin and drawn, and she'd gone from an alert baby to one who slept a lot and fussed a lot.

Your LO sounds like she's gaining at a good clip, so most likely it isn't the same issue as we had.

Lucky you!
#12 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 PM

Oh god, I Just finished sending a shoutout to gripe water.

I declare, my kid would have hiccups and by the time I finish giving him a dose of gripe water, the hiccups have completely ceased.

Tonight he was kinda fussy, and by the time I finished giving him his dose of gripe water, I didn't hear another peep from him and 5 mins later he was sleep on his daddy's chest.

He only gets kinda fussy in the evenings though. It's been getting better recently.
#13 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbaby View Post
DS was such a mellow, easy-going baby - having a very cranky DD has been so different (and a tad bit difficult). i have tried cutting things from my diet, trying to pay attention to what makes her happy, etc. she hates the sling, so i bought a moby today. (i can tell i'm going to have a HUGE learning curve with that wrap!) DD pukes a lot, she HATES riding in the car, and if she isn't eating or sleeping, she's basically crabby. she's not crazy about going on walks either. on the plus side, she sleeps quite well and doesn't mind diaper changes anymore. i am thinking (hoping) she will grow out of it as she gets a little older and more "settled"......hopefully this occurs before i go back to work, or leaving her will be that much harder!
I think that we have the same baby! She will be content with someone besides me sometimes. She's just never happy with me unless she's nursing or sleeping. If she is content with me, I have to put forth so much effort to entertain her and that only lasts so long. It's frustrating because I want to just hold her, I want to snuggle with her but she isn't havin' it! But, compared to my ds, she's a walk in the park!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#14 of 29 Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 PM

Ally Rae has been pretty fussy in the evenings since about 4wks. It's definitely hard and wearing on my patience. After about a week of trying different things for her, I discovered keeping her stimulations at a minimum throughout the day help tremendously! When she's fussy she just insists on nursing frequently (every 30 min or so) and being bounced in my arms while I move around. Thank goodness I have decent upper body strength and a strong back/core! She wears me out!
#15 of 29 Old 11-30-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
I discovered keeping her stimulations at a minimum throughout the day help tremendously!
i was just going to write how much better DD has been these past 2 days, because we have just stayed at home and been laying low. my MW suggested she is overly sensitive to stimuli, and to try and keep things simple for a while. she said even going to the grocery store in the morning can cause fussiness at night.....sooooooooo, even though it comes with a bit of "cabin fever", we've been staying at home and she has been very minimally fussy the past 2 days. she's even had some quiet alert time at night with smiles, which has never happened yet! i'm so happy!

we kind of have to go to the grocery store today, so i'll see how she does later on.....

#16 of 29 Old 11-30-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemnor View Post
Well, my milk is completely gone..so she's on formula now. Boooo.
i'm so sorry to hear this...but glad that her disposition has improved a lot. i'm glad you're not dealing with milk supply issues AND an unhappy babe.

#17 of 29 Old 11-30-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
she hates the sling, so i bought a moby today. (i can tell i'm going to have a HUGE learning curve with that wrap!) DD pukes a lot,
The upright position of the Moby will be better for your dd if she pukes alot. If you bought it locally, and the youtube videos didn't get you comfortable with the wrap, see if the place you purchased it will give you a hands on tutorial with it. My dd seemed to hate it at first, but they also have a learning curve apparently She cried for about 5-10 minutes in it the first time and then it decreased to about 5 and finally (after about a week of daily wear) she would fuss for a minute tops before falling asleep. I found that if she was worn in the Moby she tolerated a lot more outside commotion than even if she was just in my arms. She liked being taken for a little walk in it.

good luck. just keep getting to know your baby, mine was fussy for the first 6-8 weeks until I got to know her better. Now I know (for my dd) that the only reason she really cries is if she wants a nap. Hopefully you will be able to figure out what makes your dd fuss soon

::: Mama to Feingold target: Sebastian(10/05) and Savannah, my allergy princess (b 6/08). Avoiding dairy, corn, soy, oats, sesame, eggs, nuts, seafood, and banana
#18 of 29 Old 11-30-2008, 01:40 PM

Sorry to all y'all with cranky and fussy babes. I especially feel bad for those with babes who are like that 24-7.

My first dd had "colic" which I found out is just a label for a baby who cries A LOT. Dd1 cried for 4-5 hours inconsolably every night from about 5-12 weeks. She would only not be crying when she was eating. It was so very sad. Then she was the happiest baby ever at 3 months.

If you'd asked me 3 days ago, I would have said dd2 was not fussy or cranky yet. But...for the last 2 nights she has been crying inconsolably. It's terrible. The good news is that dh and I have BTDT and take it pretty well knowing it will all be over in 7 short weeks. Yeah right... short.

My back and shoulders are killing me, though, from hours of swaying and pacing the floor with her in my arms. Luckily, she appears to be happy during the day and the fussiness doesn't set in until between 5 or 6 at night. Of course, this is only her pattern after 2 days of this behavior

Everyone says to cut out this or cut out that, but I pretty much refuse. She went 5 weeks as a happy baby with me eating and drinking what I pleased. I pretty much guarantee that she will be that happy baby again around 3 months without me torturing myself with elimination diets.

My dh is convinced that there are far too many moms not eating dairy, wheat, etc... because their babes are "sensitive" to it. He thinks that they cut something out and the baby seems better, but it's a placebo effect. I told him that can't possibly be true all the time, but I do feel there is some truth to what he's saying.
#19 of 29 Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Wow....I think I must have posted this in my sleep overnight lol. You sound exactly like me. I too have a mellow, easygoing son (who was the same for the most part as a baby...but when he was unhappy he was UNHAPPY!). I too have a cranky dd....I have tried cutting things from my diet, dosn't exactly like slings but I can keep her happy in one somewhat, pukes a lot, HATES riding in teh car, and if she isn't eating or sleeping she's basically crabby. She does like walks, does okay with diaper changes, dosn't really sleep well. I really want to take her to cranio or reiki or SOMETHING to maybe help her mellow out......I have no advice but just wanted to let you know that I wish you were closer and our kids could gripe at each other lol. Oddly though, she does well away from me...takes her bottle of mama milk ok as long as it's warmed up to body temperature.

Quote:
Oh god, I Just finished sending a shoutout to gripe water.

I declare, my kid would have hiccups and by the time I finish giving him a dose of gripe water, the hiccups have completely ceased.

Tonight he was kinda fussy, and by the time I finished giving him his dose of gripe water, I didn't hear another peep from him and 5 mins later he was sleep on his daddy's chest.
Oh I too agree...this stuff is a God-send, I wish I had had it with my son. I have the Gripe Water from Wellements, with chammomile added, and it's just like you said, within seconds the hiccups are gone, the gas is up (or up fairly quickly). I've gone through 2 bottles of the stuff already and she's only almost 2 months old!

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#20 of 29 Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM

What brand of gripe water do those of you who use it have/recommend? And where can I get it?!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#21 of 29 Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post

Everyone says to cut out this or cut out that, but I pretty much refuse. She went 5 weeks as a happy baby with me eating and drinking what I pleased. I pretty much guarantee that she will be that happy baby again around 3 months without me torturing myself with elimination diets.
Man, I think listening to a baby cry is about the most torturous thing in the world, totally worth changing your diet. Maybe not the total elim diet, but cutting out a couple things is pretty easy for me at least. I would agree that many more people do it than need to. But for some people it seems to work like night and day. We are off of wheat and dairy right now because last time I tried them he woke up with a huge rash all over his neck and forehead, an allergy ring type diaper rash, and swollen puffy eyes. It all came very suddenly and went away very suddenly. I dunno I guess each person has to decide what they would rather live with--an uber fussy baby or some minor dietary restrictions that might make a big difference.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#22 of 29 Old 12-01-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
What brand of gripe water do those of you who use it have/recommend? And where can I get it?!
I use Wellements, which I've found (so far) only at my local Walgreens drug store. They carry two brands (I think Baby Bliss is the other one) but I liked this one better since it has chammomile as well. http://www.wellements.com/ It looks like you can get it online as well.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#23 of 29 Old 12-03-2008, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

thefragile:
wow how funny! i have so many friends with the typical "1st baby's easy, 2nd baby's difficult" syndrome! (they say it's nature's sneaky way of helping you procreate. i agree.)

but i must say, i haven't even had a chance to purchase gripe water yet, and DD seems to be mellowing out as we approach her 6-week mark. she's a bit less fussy altogether, smiling tons, and having more quiet alert time than ever before......where she coos and talks. i can't believe she's not crying all the time when awake. it's been about 4-5 days now, so i think it may last! she still absolutely abhorrs the car, but eventually she's gotta grow out of that.

oh and i finally got the hang of the moby (thanks to all for the tips! youtube rocks!) and she stayed in it for like 3-4 minutes yesterday. i'm hoping we can slowly build up her tolerance for it. that thing is so cozy, i'd love to wear it more often.

#24 of 29 Old 12-03-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
Man, I think listening to a baby cry is about the most torturous thing in the world...
ITA. it's usually a daily struggle of: do i drive somewhere and have to listen to DD's heartbreaking wail, or stay home for more self-induced cabin fever?? not the most fun decision, but pretty much what it comes down to...

#25 of 29 Old 12-03-2008, 07:29 PM

I'm glad she seems to be mellowing out! A seems to be grumpy much of the time but I suspect it's partially due to her stuffed-up nose and me being gone much of the day and she just lets it all out.

#26 of 29 Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Sorry to all y'all with cranky and fussy babes. I especially feel bad for those with babes who are like that 24-7.

My first dd had "colic" which I found out is just a label for a baby who cries A LOT. Dd1 cried for 4-5 hours inconsolably every night from about 5-12 weeks. She would only not be crying when she was eating. It was so very sad. Then she was the happiest baby ever at 3 months.

If you'd asked me 3 days ago, I would have said dd2 was not fussy or cranky yet. But...for the last 2 nights she has been crying inconsolably. It's terrible. The good news is that dh and I have BTDT and take it pretty well knowing it will all be over in 7 short weeks. Yeah right... short.

My back and shoulders are killing me, though, from hours of swaying and pacing the floor with her in my arms. Luckily, she appears to be happy during the day and the fussiness doesn't set in until between 5 or 6 at night. Of course, this is only her pattern after 2 days of this behavior

My dh is convinced that there are far too many moms not eating dairy, wheat, etc... because their babes are "sensitive" to it. He thinks that they cut something out and the baby seems better, but it's a placebo effect. I told him that can't possibly be true all the time, but I do feel there is some truth to what he's saying.
I'm kinda on the same line of thought, although if it gets too bad, I'll cut out some stuff. I had to cut out dairy with my first kid because he was screaming, and when he got older, I'd try a little dairy again, (lactose free milk) and it made his intestines bleed a bit, in his stool. He has a severe milk allergy like his dad.

BUT
for this kid, he's not quite as miserable as my first one, but sometimes he seemed a little bit cranky and uncomfortable. I have to be honest here. This was my "surprise" baby, and I wasn't very thrilled at the idea of having to go through spendings years avoiding certain foods to keep nursing, all over again.

SO.
I started to give my kid probiotics because we were dealing with a bit of thrush.

I have to say, in terms of his tummy, it's almost liked dealing with a different baby. It doesn't make his gas go away, it just seems to make it easier to pass. (I seem to notice a similar affect in myself. ) It seems to keep everything "moving" instead of painfully stuck. when he has lots of gas, it seems to pass effortlessly and painlessly through his gut without much effort. Instead of grunting and crying, we have coos and intent stares, with maybe a slight wince and whimper seconds before some gas passes...it's no longer such a huge deal. He seems MUCH more comfortable.

Then I thought to myself
I used to drink sweet acidiphilos milk when i was a kid because my mom is lactose intolerant and it's the only kind she could drink, .
and therefore the only milk she ever kept in the house. Probiotics help mild lactose intolerant...it says so right on the bottle, duh! Where is my brain? So I"m keeping up the probiotics up so I can keep my diet pretty open.
#27 of 29 Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 PM

I've only cut out what I KNOW bothers Ally. Right now the only things I can't eat are milk and ice cream. She does fine with cheese and cream sauces. Go fig. If I have the others, she has major projectile spit up issues.

I agree you shouldn't just cut things out because it might bother them.
#28 of 29 Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
But for some people it seems to work like night and day. We are off of wheat and dairy right now because last time I tried them he woke up with a huge rash all over his neck and forehead, an allergy ring type diaper rash, and swollen puffy eyes.
I would totally do dietary changes for what you're describing. If I thought a dietary change would help, I'd consider it. In our case, her fussiness started recently so it leads me to believe it's a phase. I also believe a lot of babes are fussy between 4-12 weeks as this is what a lot of the moms in our group tell me.
#29 of 29 Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 PM

I agree. Many babies are just fussy, and no amount of dietary restriction is going to change that. Yes, some babies DEFINITELY need mom to make a diet change. But many others don't. It's hard, but it's true. My little one is a fairly fussy little guy; it is quite obvious that it is his temperament and nothing is going to change it other than tincture of time. It's frustrating and tiring and makes me feel so frazzled some days, but having gone through this before I can say that time *does* change things. This too shall pass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page