Weekly Chat 11/29 - 12/5 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay for typing 2-handed! It's a rare occurance if you're not BW'ing!

I'm typing 2-handed and I get to eat a whole peanut butter and preserves sandwich! She's sleeping in her Moby...

I haven't gotten brave enough to invest in another carrier because I adore the Moby so much. I didn't like the HotSling I got so I took it back and the carriers like Ergo just don't appeal to me. I need help working with a pouch I guess. I'm pretty sure I just wasn't doing it right or got the wrong size (even though I followed the chart...). Any carriers you can recommend would be great! I feel like I should have at least 2 different kinds if not more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Sarah, that sounds fabulous!

Nora's about to wake up but I just wanted to jump in real quick and say that her Social Security Card came today! Awww! I don't know why put it makes me feel so proud!

Tara - that is a fierce haircut!

Question for Crosscat and Crazybee (and others who use chore charts) - Are the chore charts only for the Dad, or does the Mom have chores on that chart too? I think this may help my situation. Neither of us has any designated responsibilities, so I get frustrated when DH doesn't take initiative (and I'm sure he feels the same with me). I'd put myself on the chart though. Otherwise it doesn't seem fair - I don't want to treat DH like a child, YKWIM?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#123 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
Any carriers you can recommend would be great! I feel like I should have at least 2 different kinds if not more.
I like the Sleepywrap, but I think it is a lot like the Moby, but maybe just a stretchier fabric. I like how I can jam it in the diaper bag when I'm in a hurry and on my way out the door. For all the awesome things I've heard about the Ergo (that I'll absolutely adore it when L.O. can hold his head up reliably and I can take out the insert), it is definitely a pain in terms of the space it takes up.

With the Kangaroo pouch, the lady at the store said that fleece is stretchier than cotton, so it holds the baby snugger to the body, like a wrap. I'm finding that to be the case - so maybe you'd like a fleece pouch better than the Hotsling.

Aw Dude! Lars Oskar just spit up all over the inside of the pouch. My fault. I forgot to burp him. Yuck!

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#124 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Tara, and others, check out the chunei
You can front or back carry and it's just like wearing a backpack with no long straps etc. I find it VERY comfy.

I got mine for $20 months ago when some guy was selling them on ebay and didn't know what it was for!! lol Someone told him and a few days later he put them up for $60+

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#125 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Sarah, that sounds fabulous!

Nora's about to wake up but I just wanted to jump in real quick and say that her Social Security Card came today! Awww! I don't know why put it makes me feel so proud!

Tara - that is a fierce haircut!

Question for Crosscat and Crazybee (and others who use chore charts) - Are the chore charts only for the Dad, or does the Mom have chores on that chart too? I think this may help my situation. Neither of us has any designated responsibilities, so I get frustrated when DH doesn't take initiative (and I'm sure he feels the same with me). I'd put myself on the chart though. Otherwise it doesn't seem fair - I don't want to treat DH like a child, YKWIM?
Before the child it was just a list of tasks we needed to complete. If it was Bathroom night, we would each take one bathroom and then usually switch each week. If it was dining room and living room we would switch who did what each week. If was a bigger room like the kitchen we would usually have only one room for that night and we would work on it together.

With children it would be different though, I would definitely put Mom and Dad on the chart so he doesn't feel singled out like "BAD HUBBY, YOU AREN'T PULLING YOUR WEIGHT!" Also, I wouldn't go to granular.

CrazyBee
#126 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 05:09 PM

Oh neat I've not seen a chunei before.... not like I need another carrier LOL!

Tara my favorite carrier apart from a wrap is a mei tai .. if you ever want to try one, or um yeah even any of my other carriers (you were there for my impromptu LLL babywearing demo) just ask .

I have maya wrap slings (2-3), maya wrap pouch (1), Mei Tai (2), wraps (3). I like them all for different purposes.

Tara your hair looks great.... but I'm sorry it's to short to pull back for your workouts! Good thing hair grows quickly .

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#127 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Return of the Mombie...

mamanurse: It sounds like you've been really patient and supportive of your DH. I'm hoping he's feeling better really soon and that things improve for you!

So you "went wild" at the pool and popped out of your suit, huh? That's the sort of thing that would happen to me.

Quote:
Any carriers you can recommend would be great! I feel like I should have at least 2 different kinds if not more.
Babyhawk! I think this is one of the more guy-friendly carriers, too - so maybe you could share it with your DH. Ours is reversible, so one side's pattern is more "masculine" than the other. DH loves to wear it.

I agree with you about pouches. It's the carrier I use the least. I'm wondering if I have the wrong size or something. I really have trouble getting Calla into it. I followed the chart, so I dunno if I have the wrong size or what. Something just doesn't feel right about the pouch. I'm hoping my friend with the hotsling can help me figure it out.

Also, your haircut is super cute. I hope it grows to ponytail length for you quickly.

Quote:

I felt all excited about Calla's social security card, too! I see Bill answered about the chore chart. I would say just make the kind of chart that would work for your situation. We just had goals of getting certain rooms/areas clean on specific days. We kind of switched up responsibilities so it wouldn't get boring. Some days we'd do the rooms together, even. That's just what worked for us. I agree don't just make a "honey do" for your hubby, put yourself on the chart too. This helps everyone see that each person is pulling his or her weight.

sarah.astrid: congrats on your new carrier. It sounds really nice. Sorry to hear little Lars spat up in there. Hope it cleans up easily.

AAM: Wow, who would have ever thought a 30 minute nap could feel so restorative? I'm not much of a napper, but I need to learn! I can only imagine how kickbutt I'd feel if I had actually slept for an hour.

We're getting closer to the weekend. :
#128 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah.astrid View Post

P.S. I just nursed him in it! With both hands free. Awesome!
I nursed in my wrap for the first time today too! It WAS awesome! I even posted pics of it in the bfing forum cause I was so proud.

Quote:
Nora's about to wake up but I just wanted to jump in real quick and say that her Social Security Card came today!
Addie's came this week too! I told her she could now get a job and stop freeloading - pay her way, yk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Tara, and others, check out the chunei
Oooh, I like the look of that! What I really want is something that's EASY to get in and out of, b/c my wrap is awesome for everything once it's on, but sometimes I just hold her b/c I don't want to deal with getting it on. And then I can't really do anything, just hold her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
AAM: Wow, who would have ever thought a 30 minute nap could feel so restorative? I'm not much of a napper, but I need to learn! I can only imagine how kickbutt I'd feel if I had actually slept for an hour.
I try and get a nap in every day, sometimes it's only 30 minutes if I time it wrong but sometimes it's a couple hours and that makes SUCH a difference. I've got a lavender rice pillow that I lay over my eyes - blocks out all the light, smells and feels wonderful, and makes it easy for me to sleep during the day.

AAM: So last night totally sucked. Dh didn't end up getting home till after 10 :, took Addie long enough for me to take a quick shower, but then got on the internet to do some business and I had her till she finally went to sleep at 12:30. While Dh went to bed b/c "he was just exhausted". Well great, I'm exhausted too and I just have no sympathy for you when you stayed out later than you said you were going to hanging out with friends. :

He's totally stressed out. I get that. His work is really physically and mentally demanding and this contract is done next month and he doesn't have another job lined up yet. He's got an employee he has to look out for in terms of work as well. He's starting a HUGE endeavor in his business that will require about 50 grand to get it all set and he's stressing over how to get the money.... I get it. BUT I STILL NEED HELP! I think he's going slightly crazy over his responsibilities and I don't know what to do to help him with that, but at the same time, I will burn out if I don't get any help either. I keep telling him that at the very worst, our families will take care of us and we won't be homeless and hungry out in the cold. We may have to move back with family for a while, we may have to be really humble, but we won't be left to deal alone and Addie will always be taken care of at the very least. I think he just feels like the weight of everything is on his shoulders now b/c he's the sole breadwinner in a field that is taking hard hits with the economy AND is notoriously bad for work in the winter (construction).

Anyways, I didn't mean to come on here and complain! Today has actually been pretty good and I've gotten some stuff done (not as much as I wanted to though). Addie slept for 2 4-hr stretches last night so I'm pretty amazingly well rested. So much sleep has helped the cold too (and the tinctures I was taking must have helped too!) so I'm feeling better all around.

I think I'm going to try and convince Dh to go out to eat tonight, even though he's totally stressed about $, just so he can have the break and get out of the house.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#129 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah.astrid View Post
I like the Sleepywrap, but I think it is a lot like the Moby, but maybe just a stretchier fabric. I like how I can jam it in the diaper bag when I'm in a hurry and on my way out the door. For all the awesome things I've heard about the Ergo (that I'll absolutely adore it when L.O. can hold his head up reliably and I can take out the insert), it is definitely a pain in terms of the space it takes up.

With the Kangaroo pouch, the lady at the store said that fleece is stretchier than cotton, so it holds the baby snugger to the body, like a wrap. I'm finding that to be the case - so maybe you'd like a fleece pouch better than the Hotsling.

Aw Dude! Lars Oskar just spit up all over the inside of the pouch. My fault. I forgot to burp him. Yuck!
Ally Rae had a major spit up all inside her Moby earlier today. Good thing it's bath day. Ugh...it got me worse than her though!

Thanks for all the recs on carriers ladies! I knew you'd have ideas! I'll go check all those out.
#130 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
ETA:
I took a few pics of my haircut. The shape is fine but it's just too short in the front for practical purposes. Please forgive my lack of makeup....

Front

Side

Side #2
Your haircut is adorable Tara! Ally Rae and you look so much alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
Babyhawk! I think this is one of the more guy-friendly carriers, too - so maybe you could share it with your DH. Ours is reversible, so one side's pattern is more "masculine" than the other. DH loves to wear it.

I agree with you about pouches. It's the carrier I use the least. I'm wondering if I have the wrong size or something. I really have trouble getting Calla into it. I followed the chart, so I dunno if I have the wrong size or what. Something just doesn't feel right about the pouch. I'm hoping my friend with the hotsling can help me figure it out.
I have a Peanut Shell (like a Hot Sling or Chic Papoose) and a KKAFP. I just used the KKAFP for the first time and it! I didn't like pouches much either wirth my first and now adore them. They're so easy for quick trips. The Moby really is uber comfy, though, while the babes are small. My all time fav carrier is a mei tai. Once they're big/old enough for back carry, it's hands down the best bw option imo. I have a babyhawk, but have owned many other brands. The fabrics available for mei tais make it so much fun. Like a true fashion accessory. Okay... Maybe Stacy and Clinton would disagree.

Here are some videos with instructions on putting babe in the pouch. I use the tummy to tummy almost exclusively.
#131 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 PM

I did a little more research re: BW'ing. I think I'm going to try a Zolo Ring Sling. It was recommended by one of the reps on The Baby Wearer for infants and Mom's who love wraps. I love how it looks! All the great fabrics would be awesome especially for date night! Then I can dress up and not feel so dressed-down with my jersey knit or fleece Moby. Now I just have to find the $90......maybe Christmas gift to myself...
#132 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Oh I didn't realize everyone was talking about wearing on here, and I just posted a thread on babywearing, sigh . . .

Tara, I really don't suggest a Zolo. They are super pretty, but they take a little bit to "break in" unlike the Maya, which after one wash is super soft and easy to handle through the rings. And in my opinion the shoulder is a lot more tricky than the new Maya. Also take a peek at Sleepingbabyproductions.com She is a WAHM who makes beautiful RS's that are SUPER comfy.

I love our KKAFP, but after about 10 months my daughter started flinging herself backwards out of it because of it's stretchiness. It is super sluggly for the newborns though.

Babyhawk is awesome, super easy to use for back carries, but there are tons of companies out there with just as good of a product for less money.

What you really need is a Woven Wrap!!! Love em, love em! Wish I could afford more.

Have any of you been on thebabywearer.com They have a lot more information and a whole Review section on different carriers than on here. (Sorry, not trying to diss mothering at all).
#133 of 156 Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 PM

^No prob Cindy! I appreciate your feedback! I was mistaken in my previous post.....Zolo was recommended by a rep on peppermint.com. Oops!

Yes, I'm on TBW.com. I actually got a PM from a mama/vendor there to let me know about a baby fair near my home this weekend. She has lots of carriers that can be tried first and she makes RS's. I'm hoping I can make it out there.
#134 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 12:08 AM

Hey Tara can you PM me the info on the baby fair.. that might be fun !

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#135 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Another vote for the babyhawk! I can do house work in it, it's great. It's a pita because putting in on before leaving the house doesn't work, and it's quite chilly out and Ainsley doesn't tolerate the cold well, so the time it takes to get her in it makes her angry, but it's the best carrier as far as weight distribution goes, so I just plop her in the peanut shell if it's really cold out then transfer her into the BH if I'm out alone or going to be out for a while. After a while with the peanut shell she'll start to feel heavy, but I don't have that problem with the BH, and of course I can be hands-free to deal with my 2 year old (who I can still carry in the BH!).

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#136 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 11:54 AM

nak
I read the whole thread! Then, LO started to fuss and I went to get him. I think he has an "angry voice" as when I got him he seemed to not want to come out of his reverie. Perhaps he was just talking to himself.

I delayed responding b/c I wanted to prioritize showering over responding, sorry gals. Still, he fussed more in the carseat while I showered, to an all out cry to end the shower early. At least the soap was off.

Hugs to all in need. You mamas do a great job of supporting each other, and I know that having you as a touchpoint through this whole journey has meant so much to me.

About babywearing: I think the main thing is that mama and child are both comfortable. And, Tara, I've given the response too about it being a very common practice throughout the centuries. I never thought of it sounding "snotty", however, but perhaps it just goes along with my know-it-all persona I project to the world IRL.

Bryson is doing great. He actually went from 8 ish PM to 4 ish AM without feeding last night. A little latch here and there, but back to sleep almost instantly. Yahoo!!! I realized that the 4 AM thing wasn't so bad after I counted my hours of sleep-- granted some were interrupted b/c of his grunts, etc. Still, I used to survive on this little sleep, but was much more centered b/c all of my energies were not devoted to meeting someone's every need. It makes a difference.

I was reading the thread about how big our babies are getting, and wanted to share what I love about cloth diapering: I have yet to use all of a package of disposable diapers in a single size. Even when I made peripads out of newborn diapers, I didn't use all of them. I need to count up how many of the 84 size 1's I have left, but those are out too. They were looking small at the MW's on Tuesday, and now I know why-- he's 12+ and 23 1/2 inches. That means he's almost out of 3-6 month size too. Oh my, he cannot grow this exponentially all year! It's funny how oblivious I was to his growth, since I see him every day.

My MW recommended not to have a pediatrician, just keep track on the milestones ourselves and just go to walk in clinics when needed, to vax if we want to at public health, and to maintain chiro care with the little one. This is how I was raised (minus the vax- I got those all before leaving for college.) DD had a ped- who said he'd support delay or no vax, but didn't really. Do any of you do this?

I went to the lactation consultant last week to get a breast pump, and have pumped once, but she gave me a handout on overactive letdown and I've been trying to follow some of the tips. Now I feel like my supply is dwindling. I've also not been drinking enough water.

I got annoyed yesterday while Christmas shopping (frames for all, thank you very much) and put everything back (mostly DD, but I'm glad I did). I'm having this problem of being uber frugal these days (for me.) I had to restrain myself from trying to buy the super cheap frames, even though I already spent the money in September by buying scrip (gift cards) for this very purchase. This counterbalances DH's spending spree for his collection of MP3 players. And, much to my annoyance, he asked if we have anything for DD yet. Huh? Of course we do. We're almost done for her, except that he just noticed that her undies are really tight, so she's getting new ones for Christmas to.

Is anyone with older children asking Santa for anything for the baby? This is what I overlooked.
#137 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM

Baby's pissy so I'm typing fast and one handed but

I hate the zolo. It's lovely but super uncomfortable. Bought and returned 2. I didn't like the babyhawk either. It was too stiff and I hated the ties. It's also a little cumbersome to get it on in public and I don't like that. I have a hotslings fleece pouch and while it's really comfy, my lo hates anything cradle position. He's an upright kinda guy. If you want a ring sling, I love mine from Kangaroo Korner.

I had an ergo and you're right Tara- they're just not real cute or femenine looking. However, a soft structured carrier would be ideal for you. I work out in mine a lot and for babywearing and working out, you can't beat something that is truly hands free. I can even bend far over and not have to hold his head. I have an angelpack and they're on sale right now at www.frogmama.com but the beco butterfly is supposed to be great too. They have some beautiful prints. Eh, just my two cents.
#138 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM

Morning, mamas!

All this bw'ing talk makes me feel like there's a club that I'm not part of! I just cannot get this figured out!

Lets say I want to go to the mall with Nora. We drive over there, park in the deck (b/c maybe it's a degree warmer). Somehow I manage to get her into the wrap/carrier that I've got outside w/o either of us freezing our butts off. I'm still confused! Do you guys wear your baby and still bring the stroller/carseat into the mall with you? How would you go about trying clothes on if you don't have a carrier to put baby in? What about carrying bags? Wouldn't it make sense to still have the stroller to put the diaper bag in and other packages you pick up?

I really want to do this! But I can't justify buying more carriers (the angelbaby ones are so pretty) until I actually get use out of the one I have!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#139 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post

I hate the zolo. It's lovely but super uncomfortable. Bought and returned 2. I didn't like the babyhawk either. It was too stiff and I hated the ties. It's also a little cumbersome to get it on in public and I don't like that. I have a hotslings fleece pouch and while it's really comfy, my lo hates anything cradle position. He's an upright kinda guy. If you want a ring sling, I love mine from Kangaroo Korner.

I had an ergo and you're right Tara- they're just not real cute or femenine looking. However, a soft structured carrier would be ideal for you. I work out in mine a lot and for babywearing and working out, you can't beat something that is truly hands free. I can even bend far over and not have to hold his head. I have an angelpack and they're on sale right now at www.frogmama.com but the beco butterfly is supposed to be great too. They have some beautiful prints. Eh, just my two cents.
You can kangaroo a baby in a pouch, it was the only way ds would tolerate the pouch as he got bigger. It's not hands-free, though.. but do able And you can hip carry with it as they get bigger.

It's funny because Ainsley hates being cradled, but loves to be cradled in the pouch. It was the only carrier she'd tolerate for a while which drove me nuts b/c it's not the most comfortable thing for long periods of time and I had to have one hand for her.

#140 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Morning, mamas!

All this bw'ing talk makes me feel like there's a club that I'm not part of! I just cannot get this figured out!

Lets say I want to go to the mall with Nora. We drive over there, park in the deck (b/c maybe it's a degree warmer). Somehow I manage to get her into the wrap/carrier that I've got outside w/o either of us freezing our butts off. I'm still confused! Do you guys wear your baby and still bring the stroller/carseat into the mall with you? How would you go about trying clothes on if you don't have a carrier to put baby in? What about carrying bags? Wouldn't it make sense to still have the stroller to put the diaper bag in and other packages you pick up?

I really want to do this! But I can't justify buying more carriers (the angelbaby ones are so pretty) until I actually get use out of the one I have!
Carrie, if you were going out alone and were going to be trying on clothes or buying a lot, I'd bring the stroller, too. That way you can plop her in it to get her inside quicker, then put her on in the warm mall! It's getting too cold to put Ainsley in a complicated carrier (BH) outside so I plop her in my microfleece pouch then put her in the BH inside. I already have the stroller for ds (who cannot be trusted to not run off!) so that's not a issue. I wouldn't ever go anywhere alone if I were to try on clothes though, with both of them anyway! If I *had* too (yeah right.. when would I HAVE to? ) I'd just lay the baby on the floor on a blanket or something. It's all about being comfortable and finding your comfort level. I could never put Ainsley in a stroller b/c she hates being in her carseat and doesn't like being put down for a long time. But ds as an infant loved his carseat and always slept, so I put him in his seat in the stroller (he didn't sleep well at home, so I took advantage of this). I hope you find something that works for you! And don't feel like you have to do it or have to like it because others do. You do what you gotta do, and if Nora is okay in the stroller and you don't feel it necessary to wear her (with a toddler, it just makes my life easier to wear A), then you don't have to!

#141 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post

thanks!! awesome advice! i'll look into those!
#142 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I would suggest a woven wrap (Didymos or Storchenweige sp?) if you love your wrap that much. There's really no need for different kinds of carriers. that said, I do have a variety and love that. DS is sleeping on me in a Kalea Baby ring sling right now (double linen). My fave slings though are Sakura Bloom. Very pricey, but well worth it for me. I've gotten both of mine used from TBW on the FSOT board and they're both the silk. I had a Zolo with DS1 at first and liked it until he got a bit heavy (and since he started out at 10lbs 1 oz, that wasn't long). After that the shoulder just wasn't comfortable for me.

Mei tais are really nice and I especially love them for back carries. I need one with padded waist and shoulders because my babes are so heavy. I can barely even feel them back there with the padded ones. My favorite is the Himmel. Now that one does have long padding in the shoulders which is not so good if you're not tall (I'm 5'4" and it works for me, but ideally it would not go down so far). And if you choose one of those, I'd definitely go used as it takes forever to receive them (trust me on this). That may change once she goes wholesale and you can buy them from other vendors, but I can't say for sure.

So as you can all see, I am a bw'ing addict.

AAM: I was also sick last weekend and I almost never get sick. DH decided it would be a good idea to go out hiking Saturday morning (I got sick Friday night) and leave me with all 3 kids for 3 hours. And he didn't tell me ahead of time. Well, turns out there's more to the story than that and I am currently trying to figure out exactly what is going on. I don't really want to elaborate too much more right now, but I would really appreciate your prayers and positive thoughts for our marriage and the decisions he appears to be making.

On a better note, DS is 6 weeks old today. I met with my mw yesterday and he is 14 lbs 9 oz! Yay for big chubby babies!
#143 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
The fabrics available for mei tais make it so much fun. Like a true fashion accessory. Okay... Maybe Stacy and Clinton would disagree.
Stacy and Clinton are my guilty pleasure. I watch them each day while having lunch. Watching now, in fact.

Quote:
Morning, mamas!

I've only gone clothes shopping twice since having Calla. Each time, DH came along. First time, he was wearing her in the babyhawk while I shopped. Second time, we used the stroller - I think just for the novelty of it since we've only used it a handful of times.

I'd probably take a stroller if clothes shopping all alone. I remember once upon a time reading a thread on MDC about babywearing and changing rooms and one of the mamas joked about eyeing the hook in the changing room before finally deciding the floor would be a lot safer.

I also think you might be like me. Without having someone to actually show me, I never would have figured out the wrap. And I think when my friend comes by with pointers on pouches I'm going to feel a lot more comfortable with those carriers. I'm surprised I figured out the babyhawk on my own, but I really think it's pretty simple and straightforward.

Anyway, is there anyone who could show you how to do the wrap? Like perhaps your midwife (or maybe she could recommend someone) or maybe someone like Sonshine_Rae could be at an LLL meeting in your area doing babywearing demos? We used to have a cool shop here called Mothersville, where they'd have workshops and so forth. I just think you'd probably benefit from some hands on assistance. I hope you can get some. Then again maybe the wrap just isn't the right carrier for you. But if you are determined to give it your best shot, I'd get someone to help out hands on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysunshine View Post
On a better note, DS is 6 weeks old today. I met with my mw yesterday and he is 14 lbs 9 oz! Yay for big chubby babies!
Aww I love chubby babies! Calla is around 14 and a half at nearly eight weeks, so your little guy must be very rolly-polly!

Best of luck to you with your issues with DH.

AAM: Let's hear it for Calla! She let mama sleep last night. She had her days and nights mixed up, I think. Seems like we're getting back on track. Everybody is so happy at my house today since it's Friday, we got sleep, etc.
Have a great weekend everyone!!!
#144 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
My MW recommended not to have a pediatrician, just keep track on the milestones ourselves and just go to walk in clinics when needed, to vax if we want to at public health, and to maintain chiro care with the little one. This is how I was raised (minus the vax- I got those all before leaving for college.) DD had a ped- who said he'd support delay or no vax, but didn't really. Do any of you do this?
No, but I like the idea! I still haven't managed to find and schedule an appt. with a doctor and she's 6 weeks old. The midwives did the pku, at least.

Carrie, I agree - if using a stroller works for you then do that. I like my babyhawk quite a lot, but it is a little cumbersome to get on. I either just have us suck it up in the cold for a few seconds while I put her in it, or I get her inside wherever quickly then put her in it. Mind, I live in Texas so it's not like the cold is REALLY cold or anything.
#145 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 03:14 PM

LOL. I always wonder what Stacy and Clinton would say about wearing the baby as an accessory. They're one of my guilty pleasures too.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#146 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
LOL. I always wonder what Stacy and Clinton would say about wearing the baby as an accessory. They're one of my guilty pleasures too.

Mine too!

I was really just thinking about leaving the house once in awhile with the baby. I feel kinda trapped. The last time we went out was 2 weeks ago to BRU and she had a really bad spit up episode and lots of crying ensued! Although...I haven't had her spit up in awhile now, and I'm sure she'd be ok being worn rather than in the seat. I dunno, I'm just not brave enough to venture out often! Maybe over the weekend we'll do a trial run with me wearing her but DH can come to help out.

So, I'm going back to work soon, and my MIL is going to watch Nora during the day when I do. We were supposed to find lots of time to hang out together this month, so they could really get to know each other before this happens, but she's been sick with a cold. So...I'm getting nervous about leaving Nora alone with her b/c they haven't had any time to bond. I wish she would hurry up and feel better so we could spend our days over there! Such a source of frustration for me!

#147 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
Addie is 6 weeks already and I'm just now trying to connect with a Natropathic Doc here in town. I think she does vaxes, but I'm not sure and I'm not even sure which ones we're doing yet. Anyways, if anything major happens we'll have to go to the public health clinic, but I do want a relationship with someone who will at least be able to tell me what is going on, what I need to go get from public health, etc. Also, this being my first baby, I think WBV will be helpful cause I don't know what milestones there are!

Quote:
Aww, sorry you're feeling left out! Honestly, I wear Addie b/c that's what she wants and she'll fuss if it's something different. Although, she is getting more used to her swing so I can put her down there for a while. Anyways, in the scenario you're talking about I can see where babywearing would be complicated!! I don't go clothes shopping... so I've no idea! Honestly, I'd say at that point I'd be bringing the stroller too. Mostly though I'm grocery shopping and then bwing is awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysunshine View Post
I don't really want to elaborate too much more right now, but I would really appreciate your prayers and positive thoughts for our marriage and the decisions he appears to be making.
Sorry you're going through a rough time! Many and positive thoughts for your marriage are coming your way!

Quote:
I was really just thinking about leaving the house once in awhile with the baby. I feel kinda trapped.

So, I'm going back to work soon, and my MIL is going to watch Nora during the day when I do. We were supposed to find lots of time to hang out together this month, so they could really get to know each other before this happens, but she's been sick with a cold. So...I'm getting nervous about leaving Nora alone with her b/c they haven't had any time to bond. I wish she would hurry up and feel better so we could spend our days over there! Such a source of frustration for me!
I really think getting out of the house would make you feel better! If I don't get out I start to feel trapped too... and then start not getting dressed... and not eating... and the downward spiral ensues. Even if it's just for a quick walk, get out!

And, I was nervous about leaving Addie with my doula on Tuesday night, but it all went fine. I'd planned on going over early so we'd ease her into the transition, but it didn't happen that way and we basically just threw Addie at my doula and took off running. Addie didn't squawk about it at all. She was perfectly content the whole night. I think the whole separation anxiety thing starts a bit later, when babes are young they tend to be ok with people... or maybe I'm just making that up. Anyways, good luck with that! I think it will all work out ok.

AAM: So we took Addie out to eat last night and it went REALLY good! I nursed in the wrap twice, she got a little fussy, but I was able to calm her down really quickly and then she passed out and I got to eat my meal.

Then, my back was killing me, so when she woke up AGAIN as I laid her in her co-sleeper I just could not fathom picking her back up for another round of shushing to sleep. (This was the 3rd round!) So I told Dh it was his turn. His comment, "She doesn't go to sleep for me ever, she'll only go to sleep for you!" Well, I think he's tried to get her to sleep ONCE before and I told him so and that if he never tries to put her to sleep then she never will fall asleep for him... then I climbed in bed and went to sleep myself! I heard this morning that it took him 1.5 hours and a bottle before she eventually fell asleep, but I think he got the point that falling asleep can't be a Mommy only activity and he's gotta figure out his own ways of doing things for her. But I got an awesome night of sleep! From 10 to 4!! Woohoo!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#148 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 PM

only have a sec before getting ds2 from school.

re: bw'ing and shopping, im not a big mall shopper so i tend to go to smaller stores and they have buggies. i dont use strollers though but if you are buying a lot i guess the stroller could be useful for holding purchases. For me, w/ ds3, it just took a few months to get used to different carriers.

Carrie, you say that you have been inside for 2 weeks? you may be different from me, but that would certainly make me depressed. i have a hard time staying in one day a week. Im scared im going to get in a lot of trouble in the winter time. at least i have a AWD car i guess.

someone mentioned pediatricians. we havent had one in several years but we do have a family dr. The family dr. office we go to has a naturopath in the office and is perfectly fine with our non vaxing status. you could do what the MW suggested but i prefer to hvae a Dr. i can go to that i know is fine with what we chose to do rather than the random dr. at walk in cliinics (who also tend to push vax's, esp. for non vaxed kids). [

]

[/PHP]
#149 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
Carrie, you say that you have been inside for 2 weeks? you may be different from me, but that would certainly make me depressed. i have a hard time staying in one day a week. Im scared im going to get in a lot of trouble in the winter time. at least i have a AWD car i guess.
Oh, only during the day with Nora. I meant we hadn't gone anywhere together in about 2 weeks. I go out to the gym 3 nights a week, and sometimes I'll go food shopping or to Target when DH gets home so I can get a break and get out in the world.

#150 of 156 Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Wow! I missed so much!

First of all- Tararae- you look so pretty w/o your makeup! No apologies necessary!

Second- Crazybee- I'm hiring you to come train my DH.

On a general note- My DH is depressed too. In fact, I'm doing way better than he is, even though I'm alone with the boys for 14 hours every day. I think I'm too busy to be depressed. I'm actually getting some sleep too, an though I'm feeling very muddleheaded today for some reason.

Thanks to whomever posted the pics of meitai wears, I neve thought of trying to do a cradle carry in a meitai- I'm not at my most creative right now.

Also, I guess the Babyhjawk started out stiff, but it did soften up, and I love it because it's so sturdy. I also am trying to figure out how to do the house/carseat/store/carseat juggle with Bw'ing too. I'd kill for a BW'ing coat but I can't find any that are not 250 dollars or more. I'll take an recommendations anyone cares to offer.

I';m trying to decorate for Christmas, and not accomplishing much more than making a mess. But I do that with Ease anyway.

Now I have to go pump, bc Milo is sleeping, and I have a boob that's about to explode in my face. . .

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page