Are you slinging? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious how many of you are babywearing. . .

What are you using?
Does your baby like it?
Are you enjoying it?

Personally I am using my pouch more than anything, quick easy in/easy out with the other two kids running around. He loves the wrap more though.
#2 of 74 Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM

What are you using?
Moby Wrap!

Does your baby like it?
Oh, she absolutely loves it! She canNOT stay awake in it!

Are you enjoying it?
I love it as much as she does, maybe more. I spend most of the day wearing Ally Rae.

Now I just have to find another carrier I love as much so I have more than this one option.
#3 of 74 Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 PM

yep, we're still working through our learning curve though! DD isn't totally into slinging with me, but she'll sling/sleep with dad for hours. he thinks my big b00bs aren't as comfy as his flat chest. (of course he's kind of kidding. who wouldn't want a soft, bosom-y cushion!!)

we're using slinglings and the moby.

baby loves the pouch with daddy. less tolerant with me. we're trying to use the moby every day and get her used to it......but generally i put her in it and she just starts trying to kick and straighten her legs. hence, i ruin the good mood she was just in, 2 minutes prior to putting her in it.

i reeeeeeally love slinging my baby and having her so close to me. i can't stop rubbing her bottom!! i just hope she'll start to enjoy spending more time in them.

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
#4 of 74 Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM

^Have you tried the Hug Hold in the Moby? It's a great option for babies that want to stretch their legs out. Ally's fave hold at the moment. She gave up the Newborn Hold/Cradle a few weeks ago.

Oh, and I find myself patting Ally when she's all snuggled in her Moby all day too...
#5 of 74 Old 12-04-2008, 10:46 PM

I've got a babybundler which is very similar to the moby, just a long piece of fabric for a wrap. We've also got a ring sling, but Dh mostly uses that.

Addie loves it, always settles down right away (unless she wants to nurse or has a wet diaper, then she'll really squirm when I put her in it), and is usually asleep ASAP. She seems to like the ring sling when Dh wears it, but for some reason it just really doesn't work for me. She always wakes up quickly and seems uncomfortable when I wear it.

I really like wearing my baby, and I *do* like my wrap, but I'm thinking of branching out b/c it's so much effort to put on sometimes and as she's getting heavier it's starting to hurt my shoulders more. Since I'm wearing her pretty much all day long, I need something that distributes the weight better. For when I know I'll have her in it for a long time it's great, just not so great for popping her in and out when running errands in the car. I'm thinking of trying the chunei after someone (sorry, can't remember right now!) mentioned it in the chat thread.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#6 of 74 Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 PM

What are you using? I have a HotSling
Does your baby like it? No I had her in it once or twice where she liked it, but every time recently she starts screaming when I put her in it. I don't know what could be wrong.
Are you enjoying it? Well, since it's not working out, I can't really enjoy it. But I know I'd love it if she did.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#7 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
^Have you tried the Hug Hold in the Moby?
yup, that's the wrap i do. i can't get the hang of the newborn hold, and haven't tried the cradle hold yet. i'm hopeful she'll start to like it more - i know wraps are great for fussy babes, but so far it just seems to make mine fussier. i would love to wear her more often, it would be great for so many reasons! so we'll keep truckin'.......

#8 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibut View Post
What are you using? I have a HotSling
Does your baby like it? No I had her in it once or twice where she liked it, but every time recently she starts screaming when I put her in it. I don't know what could be wrong.
Are you enjoying it? Well, since it's not working out, I can't really enjoy it. But I know I'd love it if she did.
in the babywearing forum, i've seen a few people post that their babe didn't like the pouch until they were a bit older, when they had slightly more head control. DH seems to be better than me at placing DD in the pouch. sometimes i think she's too small to be comfy in it, sometimes i think i'm pretty bad at getting her in there correctly. she always looks scrunched up to me. but i see your babe is older, so you may not have the difficulties of getting her in there like i do! keep at it - i've been trying for weeks to get the hang of it, i finally feel like i'm making some headway!

#9 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 12:11 AM

We're using a fleece Kangaroo Korner pouch, a Moby wrap, and Bali Baby Stretch wrap. Iris loves them all. She nearly melts into sweet baby bliss everytime I put her in.

I've put a Beco Butterfly on my Christmas list!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#10 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 AM

Yep I carry my baby in some for of wrap/sling/pouch a little bit nearly every day at home when he's fussy or I need two hands etc, and a LOT if we leave the house (like all but eating and diaper changing).

I'm liking my wraps the most right now, I have a peapod 'cuddly wrap' wrap that is stretchy and light weight, that I like here lately. But I also have a fleece wrap (very warm), and a crinkle cotton wrap. Besides 3 ring slings, 1 pouch, and 2 mei tai's.

Oh and the baby does well in the Mei Tai's too, depends on my mood which carrier I use. DH prefers the Mei Tai's when he carries baby.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#11 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 12:52 AM

What are you using?
Slingling (pouch sling) & Moby. I use my sling out in public bc it fits soo conveniently in my purse with the other baby stuff. The Moby's just too bulky. I use it at the house.

Does your baby like it?
She DEFINITELY likes the sling. She has to be in a certain mood for the Moby.

Are you enjoying it?
Oh yes... it saves my arms and back sooo much!!! YAY!

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#12 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're using ringslings I made. He almost always falls asleep in it unless he's really hungry. I love it but need to switch shoulders to keep my body from aching.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#13 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 04:25 AM

I'm using my Moby D or my Beco (4th gen). I love the Moby and use the nb hug hold and just yesterday tried the hug hold. He always falls asleep in it, and he usually likes the Beco, too, but I find somehow it's easier/more comfortable for him to be frog-legged in a sposie than a CD (which we have quit for the moment because with all his projectile vomiting, I just can't cope with the added laundry).

I love the Beco for quicker trips or when we're getting in and out of the car more. It's still been in the high 70's/low 80's here until the past few days, so the only downside to the Moby is he gets sweaty, so I under-dress him.

I have not even tried to nurse him in either carrier... but being an F cup while nursing, I feel very self concious about that anyway. I usually untie the Moby to nurse him for more freedom of movement because all that fabric gets in the way.

I have a hotsling too but chest is too big for it right now, and I prefer that for a hip carry anyway.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#14 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 AM

I love my Moby, wear it all day, and just got a second for when the first is in the laundry, or downstairs, or left in the car. They have become part of my attire for the day. My Born Free got a lot of looks/comments yesterday, I think because of the writing. I tried him facing out too, but the head control/uncertainty was an issue. But, I love, love, love my brown striped Moby D. They're so soft and such a great place for a babe to just fall asleep. I'm getting tons more done with them too.
#15 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 AM

A Sleepywrap, which is like a moby
An Ergo
A Kangaroo Fleece pouch

I love them all for different reasons, although the Kangaroo pouch is my newest, so I am really digging that one right now.

Lars Oskar falls asleep in all three pretty quickly, I just like pouch because its so quick and easy to get him in and out!

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#16 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM

What are you using? A homemade ring sling and ergo
Does your baby like it? She loves them both, if she is fussy when I first put her in I take a walk around and she settles right down.
Are you enjoying it? Yes, I have always loved babywearing. It is the only way I can survive grocery shopping with all three. It gives me a chance to cuddle her too! :

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#17 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 02:51 PM

What are you using? An EllaRoo ring sling
Does your baby like it? LOVES it!
Are you enjoying it? Yes. It makes things so much easier, and sometimes it's the only way we can get her to sleep.

Anyone else feel like an advertisement for baby-wearing? LOL I get SO many comments on my sling. And questions about my DD's birthweight. . . I think because she does that newborn frog-leg thing she looks teeny and people must think she's a preemie or something.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#18 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Heck yes!

What are you using?
In order of frequency: Moby, Babyhawk, Peanut Shell. Getting a hand-me-down Hotsling soon.
Does your baby like it?
Calla loves the Moby (hug hold only) and the Babyhawk. Sometimes she likes the Peanut Shell (tummy to tummy) and sometimes she doesn't. I think she's going to really love it once her head isn't so wobbly and we can do some of the other positions.
Are you enjoying it?
I love it! It's so snuggly and I love having my hands-free. Only complaint is that sometimes I get a bit hot because baby is a little furnace!
#19 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 03:12 PM

Not to hijack your thread, but just thought I'd ask while we're chatting about babywearing...

I saw these while making a little Xmas Wish List for Calla on target.com. I don't see them on PS website nor on thebabywearer.com...

Anyone know anything about them? I have a friend who's expecting who would probably like the design.

Peanut Shell Wrap
#20 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 PM

i do the hug hold also - did it this morning and DD lasted about 5 minutes. she just gets really mad when i try to gently turn her head to tuck it under one of the shoulder straps. she keeps pushing against me and trying to rear her head back. i wonder if i am wrapping her too tight, but if it's any looser, i don't feel comfortable with wearing her. any thoughts?

on a happy note, she slept almost an hour in the pouch with me today! (after the moby didn't work). it was very nice, but does make my neck a bit sore...

#21 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 PM

We're using a ring sling. we tried a meitai, and Milo hated it. He loves the sling.

ring sling tip from a friend- put them in sort of diagonally, with their head toward the outwer rail and their feet/butt more toward the inner rail. This way, you can pull the middle fabric tighter, and support their back so their head doesn't fold down against their chest.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#22 of 74 Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 PM

What are you using? moby, homemade ring sling, hotsling.
Does your baby like it? Loves Moby hug hold, much to the disapointment of friends meet for lunch - they cant see much of him because he burrows his head all the way in, practically to my armpit! hates ring sling, hates hotsling - reflux means he prefers to be upright, but i am saving them for when he is bigger!
Are you enjoying it? Yes! The Moby is really amazing. If I had the time and talent I would make them - it looks so easy! I have read complaints that it stetches out over time... we'll see!

I am currently drooling over the ERGO, but its pricey!!
#23 of 74 Old 12-06-2008, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.rye View Post
What are you using? hates ring sling, hates hotsling - reflux means he prefers to be upright, but i am saving them for when he is bigger!
You don't have to do cradle position with the RS and pouch, you can put him upright, you put his feet in "froggy position" inside. I usually do that with my son in our fleece pouch.
And the Moby stretching out thing, I haven't really heard that, but what happens is your baby gets to be too heavy, so it starts to sag and pull on you, which makes it very uncomfortable.

Crosscat: Just checked out that peanut shell wrap, trying to figure out what it consists of, it looks kind of odd to me in the picture. Going to do more research . . ..
#24 of 74 Old 12-06-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

crosscat: peanut shell doesn't even offer it on their website. If you read the one review on target, it is a very bad one. Check that out before buying, sounds like junk. Only 10 feet of fabric as opposed to 18 (Moby).
#25 of 74 Old 12-06-2008, 04:48 PM

What are you using? Right now my KKAFP is the only one I'm using. I can't wait until she's big enough for the Ergo- she's going to love it!

Does your baby like it? She loves it as long as she's upright. We usually use the tummy to tummy froggy hold, and she is happy as can be that way. She looks around until she eventually gets tired and falls asleep.

Are you enjoying it? I honestly don't know what I'd do without it, esp with a two year old running around. I certainly wouldn't be doing any Christmas shopping without it! I love that strangers won't touch her when she's in the pouch, wheras they feel the need to come up and touch her when she's in her bucket. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
Anyone else feel like an advertisement for baby-wearing? LOL I get SO many comments on my sling. And questions about my DD's birthweight. . . I think because she does that newborn frog-leg thing she looks teeny and people must think she's a preemie or something.[/COLOR]
YES! I think Kangaroo Korner needs to give me some benefits or something...I don't know how many people have asked me what my pouch was and then written it down. I do hate how people look at me like I have two heads when I'm wearing her, you don't see a lot of babywearing around here. Everyone stares at me. My friend has a boy who is two weeks older than Maya, and when we go out together wearing our babies, we really draw crowds. It's insane!
#26 of 74 Old 12-06-2008, 05:48 PM

What are you using? Mostly my Fleece Peanut shell and My Kozy

Does your baby like it?He loves the peanut shell...He loves both the cradle hold and kangaroo carry....he is just starting to like the kozy...he is not a big fan of being up and down though...even when you hold him he doesn't like being up and down...funny cuz my other boys hated the cradle hold.

Are you enjoying it?I love it....
#27 of 74 Old 12-06-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCindy View Post
crosscat: peanut shell doesn't even offer it on their website. If you read the one review on target, it is a very bad one. Check that out before buying, sounds like junk. Only 10 feet of fabric as opposed to 18 (Moby).
Yeah, I noticed it wasn't on their web site. I wasn't sure about the one review on target.com because it almost sounded like that person wasn't really into babywearing at all. That's why I was hoping I could find out something on thebabywearer.com or MDC... I noticed they're on clearance too.

Anyway, my friend actually registered for a sling, so I suppose I could just get her what she's asking for - I know I always appreciated it when people gave me things that were on my registry (like my Moby).
#28 of 74 Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 PM

Absolutely slinging - couldn't live without it! We do a ring sling; it's my 4th (and last) child and all I've ever known, so I'm not going to bother trying to learn another way, although I must say the wraps are beautiful! I have an OTSBH I've had since my first, and I just bought another one off Amazon called Lite-On-Shoulder; it was fairly inexpensive and I LOVE it!! And such a beautiful pattern - a Celtic print. I would seriously not be able to get through the day without my sling, with 3 other kids to run after. :

Tyler seems to really like it. He naps in it every day. (That's the only place he'll nap so far). When he's gassy he wants out, but once he's settled down he will go back in happily.
#29 of 74 Old 12-07-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbaby View Post
i do the hug hold also - did it this morning and DD lasted about 5 minutes. she just gets really mad when i try to gently turn her head to tuck it under one of the shoulder straps. she keeps pushing against me and trying to rear her head back. i wonder if i am wrapping her too tight, but if it's any looser, i don't feel comfortable with wearing her. any thoughts?

on a happy note, she slept almost an hour in the pouch with me today! (after the moby didn't work). it was very nice, but does make my neck a bit sore...
Ally Rae has no interest in having her head covered, EVER. She won't let me put it the Moby either, so I just don't. She has great head/neck control so that certainly helps. I don't know how your LO is doing with that but it makes a difference. She also won't let me tuck her arms/hands in unless she's asleep. I find that she prefers to just lay her head down on my chest and will burrow her face into one of the side pieces of fabric when she fall asleep. Is there a reason why you are concerned with her head being out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.rye View Post
What are you using? moby, homemade ring sling, hotsling.
Does your baby like it? Loves Moby hug hold, much to the disapointment of friends meet for lunch - they cant see much of him because he burrows his head all the way in, practically to my armpit! hates ring sling, hates hotsling - reflux means he prefers to be upright, but i am saving them for when he is bigger!
Are you enjoying it? Yes! The Moby is really amazing. If I had the time and talent I would make them - it looks so easy! I have read complaints that it stetches out over time... we'll see!

I am currently drooling over the ERGO, but its pricey!!
A Moby is SUPER easy. It's only 15-18' of fabric that is 30" wide. That's it! You fold it in half long-ways so it's 15" wide and ta-da!
#30 of 74 Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM

Yes...I'd like to use them more though around the house. I spend too much time on my bum & not doing stuff. I should get a pouch style one for easy in and easy out. But we almost always use them when we are out and about.

What are you using?
Moby & Ergo w/ infant insert. We tried a maya wrap a couple of times too, but I must be doing it wrong, she seems too big to fit in there. We need to try a different position I guess.

Does your baby like it?
Yes. She generally falls asleep.

Are you enjoying it?
Yes.

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page