Weekly Chat 12/6-12/12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good morning, mamas! It's time for a new thread, perhaps one I can keep up with this time.

We're on another growth spurt here. Does anyone have a reference for when they should happen? I forget often, and don't think of it until the cluster feeding ensues.

I'm off to one of our last farmer's markets for the season and I might treat myself to breakfast at a "greasy spoon" kind of place. I just want to be out alone with the baby for a while b/c I have a big weekend of cleaning and tree choosing and then the decorating begins.

Here's to a great week for all of us!
#2 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

In re: the previous week's thread:

lovemysunshine- to you.

Baby Cakes: I wore DD all the time in a Bjorn too-- because I tried a maya wrap and it didn't work with my c-section scar and the weight of my baby/bad back combined. I didn't want to invest in another type when I'd spent all that money on a maya. My back started to hurt yesterday from wearing Bryson too much, but I did have it tied oddly. I hope I didn't invest in a second Moby too soon. Still, I have no idea what it would be like in a truly cold climate. The coldest I've taken him out in is 32 degrees, and that is likely to be the high for some of you in cooler climes.

Drat! I just realized that getting to the farmer's market this early means it'll be about 32 while I walk around! I guess we'd better bundle up and make the trip rather quick!
#3 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Hi all! I'm finally feeling better, and Elina was kind enough to snooze in her swing for 2 1/2 hours this morning. I popped a video in for Toby : took a shower and folded all the laundry that built up all week. Also have the tree up, the plan is to get the living room ready to do the decorating in the next few days. And, if the kids cooperate, I'm going to try and get shots of them in their Christmas clothes to make cards with.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#4 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 04:19 PM

Happy Saturday, mamas!

Thank goodness for sleeping babes...after a sleepless and fussy Friday Iris decided to give her mama some school time this morning. She slept in her swing on her own accord for nearly 3 hours! She's happily lying on the floor now watching all the action of her brothers and sister playing around her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
We're on another growth spurt here. Does anyone have a reference for when they should happen? I forget often, and don't think of it until the cluster feeding ensues.
I teach in my b/f'ing class that it's usual to see a growth spurt at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months, give or take. I know Iris is in the middle of a growth spurt now.

Okay, its back to paper-writing for me. Have a great day!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#5 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 04:40 PM

^We also want to do a holiday card! We might run out today (I hope we do) to find a Christmas outfit for Nora. I want to get something uber cute.

AAM - I went out with a girlfriend last night for burgers and fries, and I had such a GREAT time! I also had a top shelf margarita - of which I only drank half b/c of how strong it was!

Chris watched the baby from 7:30 to 10, and when I got home he was exhausted. I laughed! He does give me a little more credit for what I do during the day though!

I hope we get our tree up soon. Our living room isn't in any shape to house our tree, but we gotta put one up for her first Christmas! It just wouldn't be right! We have to get rid of some furniture first - my MIL is supposed to take a few things and I'm not sure when she's going to. I hope this week!

We're debating putting lights up outside this year. I really want to, but I don't want to physically do it, lol! So it's really up to DH!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 05:10 PM

I just ordered our Christmas cards this morning! It was no easy task getting a good picture with a 7-week-old and a two-year-old who isn't crazy about her sister, but I think I got a good one.

We are going to a holiday lights parade tonight. I'm hoping it's not too cold, but I think it's supposed to be in the lower 20's. If I dress Maya in some fuzzy jammies and a hat, put her in my fleece pouch, and put on my heavy coat over her, she should be okay. What do you guys think? Anybody been out with their babes in this cold weather? I miss my June baby! It was much less complicated to dress her.
#7 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:

I'm off to one of our last farmer's markets for the season and I might treat myself to breakfast at a "greasy spoon" kind of place. I just want to be out alone with the baby for a while b/c I have a big weekend of cleaning and tree choosing and then the decorating begins.

Here's to a great week for all of us!
Our farmer's market finished up last weekend I would LOVE to go out to a greasy breakfast place. We haven't been since the weekend before Hazel was born.

I think 3, 6, and 12 weeks roughly are the growth spurt intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
Okay, its back to paper-writing for me. Have a great day!
Happy paper writing Ashley! I have to admit that I don't miss those days at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
^We also want to do a holiday card! We might run out today (I hope we do) to find a Christmas outfit for Nora. I want to get something uber cute.

AAM - I went out with a girlfriend last night for burgers and fries, and I had such a GREAT time! I also had a top shelf margarita - of which I only drank half b/c of how strong it was!
I found a Christmas and Hannukah outfit at the used kid's shop for cheap and even found tights and a onesie to go underneath.

I'm super jealous you got to go out with a friend sans baby Carrie. It's so good for you and Chris is awesome for "allowing" it. A margherita sounds so yummy :

AAM: Today is Olivia's 3rd birthday party. We're throwing it at a swimming pool at our local community center. It has fountains, a water slide, and a hot tub for the grownups. I made and decorated the cupcakes yesterday and this morning I made the sandwiches. We're also having Doritos : and a fruit salad. There are 12 kids and 27 adults coming. I'm super excited and so is dd.

I think my dh would watch Hazel for me if we could get her to take a bottle. We're still trying. The next attempt is going to be on Monday from my mom. I figure a different person trying would be a good thing after our week long hiatus of giving it a go. This whole bottle thing is uber stressful for me as I have to back to work on January 19th and having a reverse cycler just isn't an option for me. My mom will be bringing her to me to bf once or twice a 12 hour shift, so that should help. I just don't want my sweet babe to have a rough time when I'm gone at work.

Okay... I'm crying just thinking about going back to work. Time to go pick her sleeping cuteness up out of the swing and snuggle.
#8 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Okay... I'm crying just thinking about going back to work. Time to go pick her sleeping cuteness up out of the swing and snuggle.
I go back January 5th. I cry a bit about it too! We'll be okay, and I'm sure our babies will be ok too.

Bee - That is a GREAT pic for a holiday card! I'm so impressed!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
We're debating putting lights up outside this year. I really want to, but I don't want to physically do it, lol! So it's really up to DH!
we just strung lights in the big front window and that will be it for this year....

Quote:
I just ordered our Christmas cards this morning! It was no easy task getting a good picture with a 7-week-old and a two-year-old who isn't crazy about her sister, but I think I got a good one.
That turned out great!! I had a heck of time getting a good picture will all 3 of them in it...but I settled on this one... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...m/PB300382.jpg

Quote:
Chris watched the baby from 7:30 to 10, and when I got home he was exhausted. I laughed! He does give me a little more credit for what I do during the day though!
Don't you love when they finally realize how much work we do...

We are off to my mom's annual start off the christmas season party tonight and they boys couldn't be more excited...just have to decide which of Keir's many Christmas Onsies he has recieved to put on him.

Hopefully this week we will get the tree up as the boys are super excited about christmas.

I have spent the last couple of days doing my christmas baking...I have gotten about 6 things made and I think that will be it for me this year.

I am both dreading and excited about christmas...I love the idea of having a newborn at christmas this year...but terrified that with christmas will come the new year and that means dh will be going back to work...I am starting to freak out about it.

Other then that life is pretty normal around here.
#10 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I hope we get our tree up soon. Our living room isn't in any shape to house our tree, but we gotta put one up for her first Christmas! It just wouldn't be right! We have to get rid of some furniture first - my MIL is supposed to take a few things and I'm not sure when she's going to. I hope this week!

Hope everyone has a great day!
We're going to try to do a photo card this year too. We bought the first cute xmas dress we saw (at BRU), which I sort of regretted when we went to Macy's to get nursing tops because I saw so many super nice xmas outfits. I had to remind myself there's always next year.

I want to do lights outside, but who knows. DH never got around to doing the Halloween lights this year, so I tried to do it. I'm scared to get on the ladder though, so I just sort of draped them around the porch instead. I don't know if I would even bother doing that with the xmas lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee21 View Post
I just ordered our Christmas cards this morning! It was no easy task getting a good picture with a 7-week-old and a two-year-old who isn't crazy about her sister, but I think I got a good one..
That picture is perfect. Your children are beautiful.

Quote:

Oh myrmom I nearly missed your post - Your kids look so cute in their matching jammies!!! Good choice.

AAM: Today is Olivia's 3rd birthday party. We're throwing it at a swimming pool at our local community center. It has fountains, a water slide, and a hot tub for the grownups. I made and decorated the cupcakes yesterday and this morning I made the sandwiches. We're also having Doritos : and a fruit salad. There are 12 kids and 27 adults coming. I'm super excited and so is dd.
Hot tub... and doritos? Can I come?

s to you mamas going back to work soon.

AAM: Calla is back to her normal sleeping routine, thankfully. She also was happy and "good" when we went out for Ethiopian food last night where I NIP for the first time (and nursed in the wrap for the first time ever, too).

Since she was so good last night, we went out for pancakes this morning. Mmm pancakes...

DH has to go to the office today to do some work since his laptop went kaput Friday. Calla and I miss him. I really wanted to get a tree and decorate today. I don't know if there's going to be time.
#11 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
This whole bottle thing is uber stressful for me as I have to back to work on January 19th and having a reverse cycler just isn't an option for me. My mom will be bringing her to me to bf once or twice a 12 hour shift, so that should help. I just don't want my sweet babe to have a rough time when I'm gone at work.

Ugh! I know what you mean about the stress of going back to work. I start back doing 12s on Jan. 20th. I'll just be doing 2 12hr shifts per week and some of it is invariably call time but still...the thought of leaving her and having to pump just makes me sad. She'll be with dh at least. I started back when dd1 was 3 m/o and it worked out pretty well. I am hoping for the same this time.

That's great that your mom can bring the babe to you to nurse. I have that option at work, too but its just not practical at 3am with 4 other kiddos.

I hope Ms. O has a fabulous b-day!!

Maggie and Bee~ What gorgeous pics! Those will make great holiday cards! With each kiddo it becomes harder and harder to get good shots. I send out an e-card every year and this photo will grace ours.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#12 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 06:14 PM

I'm glad we're all having sleeping babies today! After yesterday, I needed a sleepy one today.

DH worked today, and so he's been gone since 10:00 and won't be back till around 7. that's not quite as long a day as usual lately, but part of me keeps repeating, 'but it's Saturday! no fair!' Oh well.

I managed to get up into the attic and found some of the Christmas decorations! : So the house is starting to look Christmassy, and I'll get the Nativit up tonight, but we still don't have a tree. I have no idea how I'd even go about shopping for a tree w/o DH. Just the logistic involved, sigh. . .

Milo has really started smiling and making faces regularly, now. He's so much fun! And DS1 is just crazy cute right now. . ."momma, me wish (watch) ru-off reendeer?' and 'herro reen-deer, nice-a seee you!'

This Christmas will be lots of fun!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#13 of 154 Old 12-06-2008, 11:27 PM

reading but no time to post
#14 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 12:26 AM

He finally did it.... my baby laughed...... YAY..... I love it when they start laughing, and he's finally just the last two days started to make happy sounds.... instead of just crying....!!!!!!

He's 9 weeks old and about 12 lbs now... on two medications for reflux (just started the 2nd on Wednesday).... and I think he's just now starting to enjoy life a little. Before he might smile a couple times a day since he was 5 weeks old.... but not much.

I got all teary eyed... and the neat thing.... he was grinning ear to ear.... and when I"d say 'I love you' he'd laugh and smile even bigger! He did it two or three times !!

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#15 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 12:43 AM

Aww! Rae that's so fabulous! I'm so glad your little guy is enjoying life now! You are such a great mama!

I *think* I heard Nora laugh once, but it hasn't happened again so I'm not sure!

We are really trying hard to get a good shot of her for our christmas card. I would love to catch her smiling but it seems as soon as we get the camera she frowns or makes a serious face!

I'm hungry again. Off to find food. :

#16 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 AM

Skimmed, but will read better & reply later. Just wanted to say ...

WE HAVE SNOW!! Yay! I love a snowy, wintery Christmas season! It was such a wonderful surprise when I woke up and looked out the window!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#17 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 11:58 AM

Good morning ladies...

It has taken me nearly a week to stop being so sad about my OB that I couldn't even bear to be online....it hit me like a mack truck when she died...

That being said, we are doing well around here. We have been working on helping Lilith hold her head up straight (she's got Torticollis) for a few weeks now, and she's now really able to move her head a lot more freely....she seems a lot more comfortable as well. That combined with her no longer starving (I'm still so sad about that...) means she's finally really starting to come along.....she's laughing and interacting and discovering her little hands.

My mat leave is drawing to a close soon, so we decided to take advantage and take a few spontaneous last minute trips. WE are not last minute people, so it goes to show you how relaxed we've all gotten with this whole mat leave thing! We were in New Orleans a couple weeks ago (our favorite town, and a manageable drive from here) and are going to Colorado this Saturday. My husband (the aussie) has never seen snow, so he is quite excited...I've been madly shopping online to get snow clothes for all of us (you can't readily find that gear around these parts.) I'm puzzling over the practicality of dealing with snow and Lilith....I have a bunting and a little snow suit thing for her....other than that...I plan on keeping her bundled up in the sling and we'll see how we go.

So that's the news from this house.....
#18 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad to know that most of you had a good day yesterday.

Cas- I've not been able to get your loss out of my mind, either, so I understand how it has been a tough week for you.

I love the holiday pictures, mamas!

AAM: My plans changed when I went in to get dressed and go. WE (DD and DS and I) got to breakfast at 9:30 and the Farmer's Market at 11:20. It was a great time, but my mustard greens were already gone. My farmer tried to save them for me (I'd emailed her) but she had to sell them. The good thing is that my midwife's assistant (in training) was on my mind at breakfast a lot, and then I realized why-- she was sitting at the booth next to us! It was great to see her.

How funny is this? Bryson cluster fed Friday, slept during errands and a very noisy birthday party all day Saturday, and then cluster fed last night all night. He slept through loud music and kids screaming at the party, and yet startles/wakes when I turn a page in a quiet room or click the mouse/scroll it.

I'm getting out the 6-9 month clothes today and I can't believe it. He's 7 weeks today and the 3-6 are getting snug. I'm almost at the point where I'm catching up to needing to buy clothes.

Oh, and I love my bumgenius diapers! I spent 200 in baby shower gifts/new baby gifts on them. I figure that I would have spent/have spent 150 so far in sposies. I'll have the diapers "paid for" by the time he's 3 months, and they'll last way beyond that!
#19 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
Skimmed, but will read better & reply later. Just wanted to say ...

WE HAVE SNOW!! Yay! I love a snowy, wintery Christmas season! It was such a wonderful surprise when I woke up and looked out the window!
Ha, when I woke up and looked out the window I groaned!

Where in CT are you? Both DH and I grew up there, although in different areas.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#20 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 01:40 PM

i love snow and tjis one is sooo pretty!
#21 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
Oh! I'm so jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemnor View Post
It has taken me nearly a week to stop being so sad about my OB that I couldn't even bear to be online....it hit me like a mack truck when she died...
I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been thinking about you too, I could only imagine how hard this has been for you.

Quote:
How funny is this? Bryson cluster fed Friday, slept during errands and a very noisy birthday party all day Saturday, and then cluster fed last night all night. He slept through loud music and kids screaming at the party, and yet startles/wakes when I turn a page in a quiet room or click the mouse/scroll it.

I'm getting out the 6-9 month clothes today and I can't believe it. He's 7 weeks today and the 3-6 are getting snug. I'm almost at the point where I'm catching up to needing to buy clothes.
Too funny! Nora does something similar. During the day if she is napping, you can pick her up and move her pretty much anywhere, you can get up and walk around if she's on you - out like a light. After 1 am, when she finally falls asleep, the slightest noise or movement wakes her. It's SO frustrating! But so silly! How can she sleep like a rock during the day but be such a light sleeper at night??? Srsly.

AAM - So, we didn't end up going out yesterday, DH had to do leaves and it got dark, and then we just didn't feel like going out. I wasn't too bummed, it's such an ordeal to go out. I'm hoping I get to go out today though, even w/o the baby. I'll see what DH's plans are if he could just watch her so I can go shopping.

Other than that, just enjoying my cinnamon hazelnut coffee, watching some TV, and planning on cleaning up the house today so we could perhaps get the tree up next week. Have a great Sunday everyone!!

#22 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 04:45 PM

I don't think I checked in once last week... no time! Lurking and reading, but not much time to post!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#23 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 06:14 PM

Milo is smiling big smiles, and waggling his eyebrows, and 'talking' to me! I love it!

DS1 was very gassy, very high need, and did not sleep. He didn't smile till about 4 months, so to have a baby smiling at me at 2 mos is spectacular! : It makes me feel like a good mommy. . .

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#24 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 PM

Haven't gotten cards yet but trying to. The tree is up and DD has such fun decorationg it. She said she wanted to decorate another!

So, so busy....I'm reading but probably won't post much.
#25 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 10:50 PM

Well I guess last night was a good night for Samuel to 'endear' himself to me early on..... cause he was a fussy butt right after that point.. and still is even now!

Ugh.... nothing seems to please him

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#26 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 11:21 PM

I read, but don't have time for replying! Just wanted to come on here and mention...

We did IT! : Nice to get over that hurdle... and it was fun too. Now we've got to figure out birth control, and damned if I'm ever doing anything hormonal again... and we've no $ or insurance... so I think it's going to be Fertility Awareness again. Anyone else doing this? I did it for over 4 years before TTC, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into the hang of it and we won't end up parents of two too soon.

And we nursed sidelying in bed this morning!!!! : I was just soooo tired, and didn't want to get out of bed for ANYTHING, so I just pulled her out of the co-sleeper, popped her next to me and she latched herself with no problems and I feel back to sleep! When I woke up next she was peacefully asleep herself, curled up in the crook of my arm.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#27 of 154 Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
so I think it's going to be Fertility Awareness again. Anyone else doing this? I did it for over 4 years before TTC, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into the hang of it and we won't end up parents of two too soon.
Hubby and I did scientific NFP for almost 5 years before I got my IUD and got pregnant.
#28 of 154 Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
And we nursed sidelying in bed this morning!!!! : I was just soooo tired, and didn't want to get out of bed for ANYTHING, so I just pulled her out of the co-sleeper, popped her next to me and she latched herself with no problems and I feel back to sleep! When I woke up next she was peacefully asleep herself, curled up in the crook of my arm.
1ht

Yay!! Oh i'm so happy it worked!!!

#29 of 154 Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
so I think it's going to be Fertility Awareness again. Anyone else doing this? I did it for over 4 years before TTC, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into the hang of it and we won't end up parents of two too soon.

And we nursed sidelying in bed this morning!!!!
this is what we are going to do also. i wish i could "know" that tandem nursing would take care of fertility for a bit but im way too nervous to trust it. i need to start charting again, as Zen is now 7 weeks old and I need to at least get back into the routine. argh!!!

yeh on the nursing on your side. i dont think i could live w/o side nursing!!

AAM: im tired today. cosleeping with 2 is a struggle some nights, though i do get sleep sometimes the toddler has night terrors and I always worry about him waking the baby. And its really a struggle to side nurse 2 kiddos! lol!

Im beginning a preschool homeschooling curriculum today! Wish me luck!
#30 of 154 Old 12-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
And we nursed sidelying in bed this morning!!!! :
WTG mama! If you're anything like me, the co-sleeper will probably begin to collect dust at night.

I suppose it's different for everyone, but DH and I went 15 years without using anything other than "common sense" (very lazy charting) for birth control, and that's what we're doing now too.

Hope everyone is well today.

AAM: Went to in-laws last night and Calla was quite the charmer. DH made kebabs for dinner over there and we all played with the baby. Unfortunately, we got home too late to put up the tree and decorate, but at least we got one. Hoping to get to it this evening.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page