What's your child's preferred source of comfort? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nursing? Thumbsucking? Pacifier? Something else?

My little miss has just started sucking on her thumb. It's odd bc I'm so used to her comfort nursing all the time and now she sucks on her thumb instead. Makes me think she isn't eating enough, lol. I guess I'm just thinking of how my son used to nurse around the clock! I just hope that she isn't too hard to break f this new habit... I sucked my thumb til I was 7!!! She's only taken a pacifier a couple of times and those were when my mom held her. Any other time she's like "Get that thing away from me!"

So what about your little ones??

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#2 of 22 Old 12-27-2008, 04:55 PM

He's sucking his two middle fingers. It's sooo cute!
#3 of 22 Old 12-27-2008, 05:08 PM

Nora has been sucking on her fist! She tucks her thumb inside but noms on her fist and gets such satisfaction from it. You can hear her smacking on it from across the room, lol.

She will take a paci, but prefers her hands. She will comfort nurse only to an extent. If she is super tired, she prefers the paci. The milk frustrates her!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 22 Old 12-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Calla is all about the boob. She does suck on her fist pretty often, too lately. And it does seem like she nurses a bit less now that she's learned that. She's not very interested in pacis - I've even tried Gumdrops.
#5 of 22 Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 PM

All of the above!

She comfort nurses a bit, will take a paci in certain situations, and sucks on her fist a lot like Nora does; the thumb is in her mouth but she's noshing the whole fist. She'll also still suck on your pinky if nothing else is available.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#6 of 22 Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Awwww.... I love thumb suckers. I hope mine turns into one. Currently, Hazel sucks on a paci while being held to go to sleep. I kinda wish she comfort nursed since it's such a handy trick, but she won't have any of it. My older dd has a "Didi" and we had the paci fairy come to take it away when she was 2 1/2. She only took it at sleeptime, though, from age 9 months on.
#7 of 22 Old 12-27-2008, 08:08 PM

Just the boob! He sucked his thumb for a couple weeks (around 3-4 weeks) but quit, and hates all pacifiers. He likes to suck on his hands a little, but he is a boob man for sure.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#8 of 22 Old 12-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Keir doesn`t reallly comfort suck at all which is so new to me since both my other boys were and still are sooo oral and addicted to the paci`s.....He nurses when he is hungry but other then that no sucking here.
#9 of 22 Old 12-27-2008, 10:35 PM

anything he can stick in his mouth!!

he loves a good empty boob, but i can only handle that for so long... plus, i have oversupply issues, so lots of sucking is going to produce so much milk my whole family might drown!

like nora, he is a fist sucker. the fist comes out when he is in the swing or just hanging out on me. he likes the paci for daytime naps - not at night though. any toy we give him to cloutch is furiously sucked on as well. He gets nice and slobbery wet with the neck of any jacket that gets near his mouth too!

this kid is super oral. what does freud say about that again?!
#10 of 22 Old 12-28-2008, 12:16 AM

Iris is my only kid who's not a comfort nurser...so this is weird for me. When she's done with the boob she'll get really wiggly and may even fuss a bit until she finds her hands or we give her a paci, then she's out like a light. None of my other babes even had pacis.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#11 of 22 Old 12-28-2008, 01:59 AM

Nursing, or being held/walked around. She chews her fist, but it dosn't seem to comfort her much.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#12 of 22 Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 AM

Elina chews her fist with thumb out and in her mouth as well, but she's also a serious boob girl. She's had a cold this past few days and it's been even more so. I can hardly get her off the boob at night. Forget pacis, she's not interestd, although I haven't tried in quite awhile.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#13 of 22 Old 12-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Dex prefers the pacifier. He has recently found his hands, though, and sucks on them now, too. That seems to be more of a happy time thing than a self comforting effort. He has never comfort nursed and gets ticked if he just wants to suck and ends up with a mouth full of milk. Oh, the screaming when that happens! Silly boy.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#14 of 22 Old 12-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Samuel prefers the boob, but sometimes will rock or walk for comfort, and every once in a while he'll take a paci for DH. He is just now discovering his fingers/thumbs ... I am kinda hoping he decides to use one of them for comfort lol.... it would make life so much easier!

But yeah pretty much a boob man.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#15 of 22 Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 PM

Calli takes a paci at night to go to bed. She also has to have her one blanket pressed up against her cheek. If she is in the craddle she has no trouble getting herself to sleep with her paci and blanket. If she is in bed with me she just needs to be nuzzled into my chest.

In the early morning she comfort nurses. She will start getting crabby until I give her a boob and she sucks for a couple minutes and falls back asleep.

During the day she needs to be held and have her blanket against her face. Most of the time she won't use her paci during the day.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#16 of 22 Old 12-28-2008, 06:53 PM

OT but I just realized that last post was my 1,100th post. I missed my 1000 post so I thought I would pat myself on the back now LOL.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#17 of 22 Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 PM

My baby likes to nurse or suck MY thumb. She no longer takes a pacifier from me.
#18 of 22 Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebugsmom View Post
Dex prefers the pacifier. He has recently found his hands, though, and sucks on them now, too. That seems to be more of a happy time thing than a self comforting effort. He has never comfort nursed and gets ticked if he just wants to suck and ends up with a mouth full of milk. Oh, the screaming when that happens! Silly boy.
Yup, I could have written this post, except I have a girl not a boy

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#19 of 22 Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM

I wish my baby would find her thumb! She downright refuses a paci no matter who has her, and dislikes comfort nursing also. She's fine with nursing when she's tired, until my milk comes down. Then she's mad! So there isn't anything she really uses for comfort, which is very tiresome at 3am at times.
#20 of 22 Old 12-29-2008, 05:49 PM

Definitely nursing. But, we don't offer a paci and I'm praying she won't be a thumbsucker (you can't take that away like with a paci, and makes for fun times/bills with the orthodontist). She also really loves her Moby and falls asleep almost instantly in it. She does have her fist in her mouth (thumb tucked in just like Nora) a lot but it's not something that comforts her when she's upset. She's suck on my first finger if we're in the car and can't nurse but that only lasts so long and she still wants the boob as soon as we can stop somewhere.
#21 of 22 Old 12-29-2008, 10:17 PM

Those of you that are loving the moby- You MUST find yourself a good woven wrap. OMG. Heaven and not bouncy!
#22 of 22 Old 12-29-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
Those of you that are loving the moby- You MUST find yourself a good woven wrap. OMG. Heaven and not bouncy!
Ainsley is finally starting to get a bit too heavy for my rib knit wrap, she's starting to sag When I get home I want to visit my sling-happy friend to try on some of her woven wraps and see if I like them as much before I buy one.

As for comfort, Ainsley will take a paci in certain situations, usually only in the carseat/car, though. She's taken to sucking on her fists which at first I thought was rooting, but earlier today while in the wrap in a store she was sucking away while looking around, and I'd just fed her, she eventually sucked herself to sleep! She's a huge fan of the boob, but won't comfort nurse like my first did, only when she feels like it. She's really a fly by the seat of her pants kinda girl.. it's whatever she feels like at the time!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page