Weekly Thread: Dec 27- Jan 2 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PW - Congrats! How neat you had a New Years baby!

Gosh, the thread got away from me a bit again.

Jenn - Thanks for sharing the one-liners, which really gave me a chuckle. I hope all the mamas can summon their "inner-Jenns" when they encounter nosy mean people like that!

OrchideZ - OMG I would have lost it if someone had done that. That woman should have been profusely apologetic to you or embarrassed enough to keep her mouth shut rather than being rude and vulgar.

Also, hope you post a pic of Jasper with the photoshopped top hat soon. That's gonna be too cute!

Big babies/little babies - I love them all. I expected my girl to be a bit on the small side like her mama, but no, she's an Amazon baby. I love that about her, but dang y'all she gets sooo heavy. I was putting her half-asleep in her crib for a nap today and thinking "this would be a bit easier if she were more of a petite flower"

Elaine - Sounds like a good trip! That dress is gorgeous and would look great on you.

Oh goodness, I hope I'm not forgetting anything. I woke up too early today and my mind is muddy.

AAM: Last night we went to a NYE party where children were welcome hosted by some long-time friends of my husband. I was worried Ms. Wonder Week was going to be unhappy, especially since she was really fussy right before we left.

However... she was "an angel" as one party-goer put it. Maybe she just needed to get out and have some fun? She didn't cry or fuss or seem unhappy at all. When she wasn't snoozing, she was charming people left and right - even smiled a few people. Slept just fine when we got home, too (after midnight, which I didn't really expect to be able to stay out that late at all).

Maybe her wonder week is winding down? She's been more pleasant today, though we had a bit of a meltdown a little while ago due to her being overtired, I think. Now she's sleeping...

I had so much fun last night. I'm so glad I got out and partied a bit.
#62 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 AM

Wow! You mamas were busy!

Remember that great swing I bought? Out of batteries. Let's see how long it takes DH to replace them. I know I could, but he has so few "just him" jobs aside from building the house.

We went to bed at 6:30 last night. DH was snoring nearly instantly, DD-- I can't tell b/c she's so quiet, and DS was out after a very cranky afternoon. Now ds is well fed, but my typing, evidently makes him active.

Okay, so forgive my ignorance about carseats. Has the law become longer for rear-facing? 5 years ago it was 1 year and 20 pounds. We turned DD at 11 months (shhhh don't tell) and she was much happier.

Just when you think you know what your baby likes... he changes it. He used to love footed sleepers (or I loved them and he was happy in them). Now we've moved to 6-9 month size and he'll have none of them. Bryson was staying in a size for 3 weeks, so according to that, we have another week until I need to cook up some new clothes, 9-12 size? He has a long trunk and the cloth diapers make it longer. He's filling out some 9 month outfits beautifully, and I wish he'd stay in them forever b/c they were all his sister's and I honestly don't know who I'm looking at sometimes-- they're so much alike. He was 13 pounds at 2 months, and 24 inches. It's funny how that just sticks in my head. Those can't be his stats any longer, but will be until they are contradicted.
#63 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM

Kelli, it's still 1 year and 20lbs, but they're still very small and it's safer for them to be rear-facing for as long as possible. DS was only 17lbs at a year anyway Before a year I'd not even consider turning an unhappy baby around (Ainsley's not really a happy in the car kind of baby-- it sucks, but that's life, still gotta go places, ya know?), but if ds had started to show signs of being unhappy rear-facing closer to two, I'd have turned him. But he's never had a problem. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts to being forward-facing!

Ainsley is so smiley lately, all I have to do is look at her and she smiles! So sweet!! And we've turned a corner with her sleeping issue. Now she wants to sleep laying down, not propped up on a boppy on me with me sitting up. She sleeps so much better and for longer stretches, and I get to sleep normally! It's wonderful! She still has to have me there, but I can live with that Also, my ds who was sleeping in his own bed in his own room for a year no longer is.. I refuse to let him back into my bed long-term because I don't want to have to break him of that, too, later on, plus there's not much room & him keeping me from getting good sleep is why I put him in his own bed in the first place, so he's on a toddler mattress next to the bed. He seems content except this morning I woke up and he was under the bed, blanket and all! Silly boy, I've never seen a child move so much in their sleep!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#64 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 PM

Hi everyone! Whew, finally FRIDAY!! Although, it is bittersweet as this is my last weekend home with the baby. I have a ton of errands to run to get ready to go back to work on Monday.

Aside from that, nothing much new. We are probably going to work on taking our Christmas Tree down this weekend b/c Cosette won't stay out of it and it's getting downright annoying!

Anyone else's hair falling out? I know I read about this in all the pg books, but I cannot believe the amount of hair that is falling out of my head in the shower. I should be bald.

Nora is now in 6 month clothes! She is 3 months old today (yay!). She is at the 95th percentile for weight. I can't believe how big she has gotten! She's 24 inches long as well, so she's really growing!

audsma - We have to replace the batteries in our swing like, every 2 weeks. DH keeps promising to rig something up and get an adapter for it, but that hasn't happened yet and soon she'll outgrow the darn thing!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#65 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Carrie, mine is falling out like crazy. It's terrible, but not as bad as it was with Colin. It lasted until he was about 6mos old, I believe. Yuck, my house is covered in my hair!

And what kind of swings do you all have? I have a Graco that's a few years old that I had from Colin, and I only had to replace the batteries in it maybe 3 times, and it still has batteries in it from the last time we had to change them with Colin, and Colin lived in his! He slept in it 3-8hrs every night for at least a month, maybe two! It's been so great on batteries, I expect it to be worse with how much we used it with him. Use if often with Ainsley, but not near as much as with Colin.

#66 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Hmm yeah my swing is just now about to need new batteries for the first time and Elina uses it a lot. She usually take a couple naps a day in it.

AAM: I need help... daytime sleeping and nursing is going just fine. She nurses every 2-3 hours, and she goes about an hour and a half between each nap. Usually has one 2 - 2 1/2 hour nap in the morning and a couple hour naps with a 45 min nap or two thrown in. She doesn't really comfort nurse during the day. In fact she starts squirming and fussing after just a few minutes on each boob, and if I offer it to her between feedings, 9 times out of 10 she just gets mad at me lol. BUT nights are a different story. She wants the boobies constantly at night. The longest stretch she'll go right now is 2 hours, and it's rare I get more than one of those at night. As we get closer to morning, she wakes more and more frequently and easily. Sometimes not even five or ten minutes goes by and she wakes up searching for a nipple, then goes right back to sleep - and nothing else works, DH and I have both tried everything. She just gets super angry. I'm ready to lose my mind from lack of sleep. It's like she's a different child at night, I just dont get it!

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#67 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 PM

I hope everyone had a great New Years!

We ended up going to a friend's house (former client of mine & president of DH's company) for dinner and drinks. We left about 11pm and Ally Rae was so tired she cried most of the way home and absolutely passed out when we got home and she got her boob. She was so good all night though! No fussing until she had to be in her carseat (I did tell DH that he needed to tell the ins company to replace it). On a side note, am I a terrible mother for letting her ride in it still since we don't have a replacement yet? *sigh*

On baby size:

Ally Rae is pretty small too. She's definitely growing but her 0-3mo clothes fit really well right now. It's hard though because she outgrows things in her legs first (didn't get her Mommy's build!) so everything looks big on her except for it being a bit short. She's still in NB dipes too. I think she's just going to be a petite thing like Mommy.
#68 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 PM

RF as long as possible. ds3 is 3 yo now and still RF'ing. check out the family safety forum for info. on that. or carseat.org.
#69 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
Hmm yeah my swing is just now about to need new batteries for the first time and Elina uses it a lot. She usually take a couple naps a day in it.

AAM: I need help... daytime sleeping and nursing is going just fine. She nurses every 2-3 hours, and she goes about an hour and a half between each nap. Usually has one 2 - 2 1/2 hour nap in the morning and a couple hour naps with a 45 min nap or two thrown in. She doesn't really comfort nurse during the day. In fact she starts squirming and fussing after just a few minutes on each boob, and if I offer it to her between feedings, 9 times out of 10 she just gets mad at me lol. BUT nights are a different story. She wants the boobies constantly at night. The longest stretch she'll go right now is 2 hours, and it's rare I get more than one of those at night. As we get closer to morning, she wakes more and more frequently and easily. Sometimes not even five or ten minutes goes by and she wakes up searching for a nipple, then goes right back to sleep - and nothing else works, DH and I have both tried everything. She just gets super angry. I'm ready to lose my mind from lack of sleep. It's like she's a different child at night, I just dont get it!
This sounds just like Ally Rae! She is always latched on throughout the night but nurses only about every 3 hours during the day. I think it's just her preferences. I'm not losing sleep though. We nurse side-lying all night and both go to sleep and stay asleep as long as she has a boob in her mouth.
#70 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Don't have time to reply individually...

Lee - wondered where you'd gotten to!!

Baby size/weight - Addie was always tall and has stayed that way and the diaper butt makes her fit bigger clothes than she actually is. Like, if she's got a cloth diaper on she's wearing 6 mo clothing ok now.. but if it's a sposie she's in 3 mo. On our floor scale it still says 12 lbs and she was 24 inches at 7 weeks (now almost 10).

AAM: Holy sleep Batman! On NYE Addie slept a 10 hr stretch! My bbs were rock hard and leaking when she finally woke up and Dh had to occupy her while I expressed enough so she could latch on and then she still slept a bunch more. She napped most of yesterday during the day and then last night she slept a 7 hr stretch (not too hard on the bbs) and is STILL asleep at noon! She's waking up to nurse and then just going back to sleep. Her diaper is probably a puddle at this point, but I don't want to wake her up to change it if she needs her sleep. She's still being more fussy than usual, but I'm hoping all this sleep is going to push her over the edge and she'll do whatever it is she's leading up to do (b/c thinking it's a wonder week and not a change in personality is saving my sanity right now).

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#71 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
AAM: Holy sleep Batman! On NYE Addie slept a 10 hr stretch! My bbs were rock hard and leaking when she finally woke up and Dh had to occupy her while I expressed enough so she could latch on and then she still slept a bunch more. She napped most of yesterday during the day and then last night she slept a 7 hr stretch (not too hard on the bbs) and is STILL asleep at noon! She's waking up to nurse and then just going back to sleep. Her diaper is probably a puddle at this point, but I don't want to wake her up to change it if she needs her sleep. She's still being more fussy than usual, but I'm hoping all this sleep is going to push her over the edge and she'll do whatever it is she's leading up to do (b/c thinking it's a wonder week and not a change in personality is saving my sanity right now).
Sounds like a growth spurt!!! I bet she'll not fit into ANY 3 month clothes when she "wakes up" from it

I'm having to retire our size small Fuzzi Bunz/Happy Heiny very soon (maybe tomorrow). Yesterday was also the last day of her Kissaluvs size 0 I'm especially sad about those since they are great fitteds for tiny tushes. I just washed and stuffed all the mediums and put them on her shelf Her standard size prefolds are already in use and I'm using the newborn ones to stuff her pockets. I don't have any fitteds in this size, so it will just be snappis and prefolds with pockets for nighttime and naps.

:yawning: Yeah. I know diaper talk is boring. Especially for those of us who don't cloth diaper. BTW.... I'm SO over cloth diapering. Should I be lucky enough to have a 3rd, I'm not sure I'll do it again :
#72 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 PM

About size, Ainsley is chubby to me, but other people say she's small. She was 9lbs 8oz at 6wks, at 10 I'm sure she's at least 10, if not 10.5-11. she's still in 0-3, but sleepers are getting too short, especially if she's got a cloth diaper on. She has, however, moved up to regular infant sized prefolds, and is still in small covers. She's just as rolly as can be

#73 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Hi everybody!

well we had a hard time this hiloday mainly because Milo spent his time napping in order to deal with all the family noise/people/chaos. So I think I had a bit of a drop in supply, b/c my breasts felt very slack the last few days, and Milo wanted to nurse on both sides, and ahrdly slept for nursing! But it paid off, and I seem to have plenty of milk suddenly tonight! :

He's been having very fussy spots lately, and had started drooling a lot about two weeks ago. I thought it was just all the stimulation from visiting. Btu yesterday, I stuck my finger in his mouth to feel his gums on a whim, and he SCREAMED!!! This morning, he spent a lot of time gumming my thumb, and Today I can feel the rough edges of TWO TEETH! Teeth at almost 3 mos?!!! well, at least now I know why he's been fussy!

I'm getting a job! Well, not an Out of the home job, but I will be careing for a friend's baby (9 days older than Milo) weekdays. She was having a terrible time with the DC she was taking him to, and she's going to report them to the state. So I'm going to be a WAHM!!!

Milo is in 3 and 3-6 mos stuff right now, but they're a bit long in the leg. Everything is short in the arm, though, I guess his arms will be abnormally long like mine! He's seems very pudgy to me, and I enjoy squishing all of his lovely delicious baby fat!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#74 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Yay for WAHMing, Heidi! I am amazed that you found teeth! I half expect it now, but know I'd be surprised too.

Em- oh, for some of that sleep here! I applaud you for not waking her to nurse. I don't think that would happen in my house-- dd wakes us all when she's well rested.

Carrie, I'm thinking of you as you prepare to go back to work.

Faerieshadow- my dd needed boob in mouth to sleep. ds doesn't. aren't kids funny?

Thanks for the feedback on carseats. I just found out about the 5 year expiration (and am ignoring it.) I can be dense about these things at times.

Does anyone else's cat like your baby a lot? DS is sleeping on my lap w/ our kitty on his lap. He no longer minds, but it makes me a bit nervous.
#75 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 PM

So, for our big New Year's outing.... I did of course go and I had a good time - I had more to drink than I had had since this time last year! (Yay for white Russians!) We got home at around 1:30 (), and Eleanor was still awake - not fussy, just awake. She apparently didn't want to go to sleep without me there. I took her straight into the bedroom, and we were both asleep in bed within half an hour. DH and I brought 2 friends to the party with us, and when we got back one of them didn't feel comfortable driving, so he stayed the night, making our condo quite full: my MIL slept in the livingroom and our friend slept in the office, so I had to nurse Eleanor in the bedroom during the night. (I usually take her into another room because she can be a bit noisy.) Thankfully she wasn't that night, except for her usual gassiness in the morning. As nice as it was to have my MIL here, it's even nicer to have our place to ourselves again.

She now babbles nearly all the time except when she's sleeping, just like her daddy! I'm also very happy that the background on DH's phone is now a picture of me BFing Eleanor! :

ETA: I am REALLY kicking myself today. Last night I found a set of 13 Motherease one-size diapers and 2 covers on Ebay for only $35 including shipping - what a steal! I initially wanted to get one-size diapers, but am using prefolds because they're so much cheaper. Well, of course I dithered and didn't buy them then. I went to buy them this morning, and of course someone else had beaten me to it. : I'm SO disappointed - there's no way I can afford to pay full-price for them. (I've checked Craigslist for my area, but pretty much everyone is asking nearly the full price for everything.)

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
#76 of 80 Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM

craigslist makes my head spin! between ADD and post partm brain, I can't navgate worth crap! I was looking for a babywearing coat! can't find one anywhere for less than 180 bucks! :

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#77 of 80 Old 01-03-2009, 12:12 AM

Carrie - My hair is falling out too! At least it's shorter now, so it doesn't seem like as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post

And what kind of swings do you all have?
We have a Graco, can't remember the model name - maybe Catalina? It has an owl mobile that Calla loves. We haven't replaced the batteries yet, but we haven't used it much either.

Em - All that sleep must have been great. Calla's been sleeping for longer stretches the last few nights, but I think she's compensating for not napping so well during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
Today I can feel the rough edges of TWO TEETH! Teeth at almost 3 mos?!!! well, at least now I know why he's been fussy!

I'm getting a job! Well, not an Out of the home job, but I will be careing for a friend's baby (9 days older than Milo) weekdays. She was having a terrible time with the DC she was taking him to, and she's going to report them to the state. So I'm going to be a WAHM!!!

Milo is in 3 and 3-6 mos stuff right now, but they're a bit long in the leg. Everything is short in the arm, though, I guess his arms will be abnormally long like mine! He's seems very pudgy to me, and I enjoy squishing all of his lovely delicious baby fat!
OMG teeth?!? Wow. Congrats on WAHMdom, by the way. That child will be in good hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
Does anyone else's cat like your baby a lot? DS is sleeping on my lap w/ our kitty on his lap. He no longer minds, but it makes me a bit nervous.
My cats aren't crazy about the baby, I think. The first night we brought Calla home, she was crying and our black cat (Kage) tried to scratch the baby. Whenever the baby cries, Kage will run over to where she is and start meowing like crazy.

In fact, last night Kage BIT ME (lightly) on my foot because Calla was crying. She's also been pooping on the floor beside her (immaculate) litter box on a daily basis. As though I don't have enough poop in my life already. :

Our other cat (Puyi) is just on a mission to sleep on everything baby-related. We find her (or her fur) on the changing pad, boppy, co-sleeper, baby blankets, the crib, the Moby, the Babyhawk, Pack n Play, etc... I'm surprised I haven't caught her in the swing yet.

I wish they would just love her, but I think they resent her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyowl View Post
I'm also very happy that the background on DH's phone is now a picture of me BFing Eleanor! :
Aww... that's so sweet.

AAM: We went out for dinner tonight at the Ethiopian restaurant again. Met some friends there this time. We had a nice time and Calla was really happy to be there, even though she was a grump at home before we left.
#78 of 80 Old 01-03-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

We have the fisher price rain-forest swing. It's a rather loud print but it plugs in to the wall.

We use bumgenius! AIO's. Not the one size... I have a few but I don't love them. He's in mediums which go to 22 pounds so they should last a while. I think we have 35 or so?
#79 of 80 Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
We have the fisher price rain-forest swing. It's a rather loud print but it plugs in to the wall.
That's the same swing we bought at Goodwill and we adore it. It swings side to side instead of front to back. Hazel will fall asleep in it no problem as long as paci is in her mouth, but she's not a fan of the mobile yet. She yells at it everytime I put it down in view
#80 of 80 Old 01-03-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! I found ours on craigslist and we've been really happy with it. It's sitting between my computer desk and treadmill and helps entertain him when I need to use either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page