What'd You Get for Christmas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So...what did you guys get for Christmas? Anything that you loved? Or did you get something silly/useless that you want to rant about?

DH got me a very sweet mother/daughter charm and chain. I asked for it and I really love it. Seeing it in person was very monumental. I love that I'm now a mother!

I also got new flannel pj's with matching slippers that are so comfy.

DD got so many toys from my ILs...some stuff is a little too noisy/obnoxious so we might take a few items back! But overall she got good educational toys. No Elmo! (Per our request, lol)!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 01:38 AM

I got a gift card for a massage from DH plus a portable DVD player for the mini-van (for long car rides). When not in use in the van, it doubles as a digital picture frame.

I got gift cards from various family members. My sister will get here Tuesday, and I'm sure she has some stuff for me as well. Oh! She did renew my Mothering subscription!

As for the kids, DS got lots of open ended toys (Legos, Puppet theater, tool bench, train stuff, puzzles, books, and a wooden car). DD got like 6 baby dolls, some wooden blocks, some books, a couple of stuffed animals, and some clothes. So not bad.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#3 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 01:47 AM

My husband rocked my socks!!!

I am a TOTAL Gwen Stefani nut and ever since she launched her clothing line (L.A.M.B.) I have wanted a piece of her clothing. And hubby got me a wonderful tank top!!!! Her also got me her perfume in a big bottle, a small carry in your purse roll on stick, and large bottle of body lotion. OMG! It smells sooo yummy! (he totally got some for those gifts, lmao). He also got me a Razorbacks baseball cap (SOOIE!) and a book to finish a series I've been reading. We also got each other some "toys" for us to enjoy in the bedroom

I got my husband a Longhorn hood and Dad t-shirt, some boxers, and a ratcheting screwdriver set with a ton of heads for it.

My son got 12 dinosaur toys, a basketball goal, a noisy (but awesome) car from his grandma, a t-ball set, 4 new shirts and 5 new pairs of pants/overalls, and probaly some other things that I can't think of right now, lmao.

My ittle bittle baby girl got a rattle, some ring thing to chew on, a vibrating teething ring, a teddy bear that lights up, and her grandma got her a star. She got my son a star last year for Christmas and we named it and everything, so she did the same for Katherine this year It's her grandma thing, lol.

My mother and her husband got us a really nice thick set of drinking glasses. Thank goodness because our cheapo ones from Wal-Mart have been breaking left and right! UGH! But they are lovely and so nice!

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#4 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 02:51 AM

I got dh tickets to The Cherry Poppin Daddies and a gift card to his favorite strip club : Olivia and Hazel got him some cologne called Dirty English made by Juicy Couture, and our dog gave him a video game for our Wii.

Dh gave me a gift certificate for a girls night out to a trendy restaurant/bar and a night's rental for a towncar Hazel and Olivia gave me massage oils and a massager. Santa also gave me a new knitting bag and a class at my local yarn shop.

My parents gave both of us gift cards to restaurants as did my sisters. All of them included babysitting

Olivia received an alpaca poncho, hat, and gloves from my sister along with some alpaca slippers. My other sister gave her an art easel. My parents gave her a Plan Toys City set with cars and trains. Dh's stepmom and dad gave Olivia a wooden marble run set. My MIL gave her a cabbage patch doll named Melvina. Olivia named her "Sally," though which I love. We gave her dolls and furniture for her Plan Toys dollhouse. Hazel gave her a Pez machine. Santa gave her a Dora watch, Diego towel, and train table. She specifically asked for the Dora watch and Diego towel

Hazel got some cloth diaper covers, organic onesies, "luxury" AIO diapers, some teething toys (wooden), clothes, and some rattles from stepmother in law, FIL, and my parents. My sisters got her the Aiden & Anais muslin swaddling blankets and a Taggies blanket that I think she'll love. We gave her a "Didi" bear and a mobile for the crib she'll be sleeping in within the next few weeks. Santa gave her some more teething and rattle toys.

Whew... that was a book
#5 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
I got dh tickets to The Cherry Poppin Daddies and a gift card to his favorite strip club :
:
I dunno which is funnier, that you are encouraging him to go to a strip club, or that strip clubs offer GIFT CARDS!

What I got for Christmas: A COLD. Ugh. I dunno who infected me, but I really hope the baby doesn't get sick. She avoided the cold I got about 1 month pp.

As for real gifts, DH and I got lots of cool stuff, but Carolyn really cleaned up! We saw, lemme count... 41 friends and family? And pretty much EVERYONE brought gifts for the baby. She got some gift cards, a new Boppy, lots of clothes, and lots of toys. I can't wait until next year when she will be old enough to enjoy everything. Christmas is SO much more fun with kids.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#6 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM

As far as gifts are concerned, the only one of us who really got anything (aside from gift cards) was DD. She got a mini Moby, which she loves, and legos (or are they for DH?) Nothing too obnoxious this year, except for the 3rd jewelry box, when our dresser is already crowded with them (b/c her dresser became the baby's changing table.) I swear she has a great aunt who looks for the biggest thing and buys it. It's just to vex me. We live in 900 square feet. One year she got a Dora doll (grrrrrr.) which was taller than she. It still lives at the IL's. Then, she got this puzzle book another year which at its smallest is 2 feet tall, easily. This year she got a 4 foot tall floor puzzle. Hey, maybe she's trying to get each gift to be the height she thinks Audrey will grow to that year?

The thing I've always disliked about these gifts is finding a place for them. We've removed 1/2 of DD's toys and our living space is still a disaster, and we've not even added this year's cache to it yet.

DS got a bebe pod from Santa and a couple of grabby toys (ages 6 months and up.) No one got him clothes- thank goodness, as he would likely have been too big for them. He also got a 529 plan, so let the college savings commence!

DH and I literally got 3 gift cards and some seasonings. We also didn't get anything for each other. I bought myself a beautiful pendant and a Moby (with the free one for DD) shortly before Christmas, and he bought himself a new Ipod type thing. He was disappointed, however. I made the point at Christmas dinner, however, that this year brought me the two best non-material wishes I've made in years-- I got my VBAC (and spent a ton of money that insurance would have covered on a c-section to have a midwife, but SOOOO worth it!), a darling little boy, and my wish since I first learned about him in 2004, that Obama would be president. So, although I have very little to show off for Christmas, I have a full heart.
#7 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 03:36 PM

Jenn, I LOVE that you got your Dh a gift card for a strip club!!! That is so my style!! :

We never get each other anything for Xmas since this time of the year is the hardest in terms of $, didn't get Addie anything b/c she's just too young. She did get clothes from people and my Grandparents gave her a stuffed elephant which she LOVES. It's really cute, she noshes on it's ear.

From my MIL we got a tree planted in our names. From my side of the family we got "The Parent's Tao Te Ching", a Rumi 2009 calendar, a scarf for Dh, some stork thread scissors for me, and a brand new leather armchair!!! : Our furniture sucks, it's all uncomfortable and 3/4/6th hand and we hate it. So they got us a chair that looks nice and is actually comfortable to sit in. I've been nursing in it since it arrived and it's heavenly!

And a wonderful Momma in this DDC sent us diapers so Addie is back in cloth! They arrived on Xmas eve and were one of the best Xmas presents ever... thanks again Momma!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#8 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Jenn, I LOVE that you got your Dh a gift card for a strip club!!! That is so my style!! :

We never get each other anything for Xmas since this time of the year is the hardest in terms of $, didn't get Addie anything b/c she's just too young. She did get clothes from people and my Grandparents gave her a stuffed elephant which she LOVES. It's really cute, she noshes on it's ear.

From my MIL we got a tree planted in our names. From my side of the family we got "The Parent's Tao Te Ching", a Rumi 2009 calendar, a scarf for Dh, some stork thread scissors for me, and a brand new leather armchair!!! : Our furniture sucks, it's all uncomfortable and 3/4/6th hand and we hate it. So they got us a chair that looks nice and is actually comfortable to sit in. I've been nursing in it since it arrived and it's heavenly!

And a wonderful Momma in this DDC sent us diapers so Addie is back in cloth! They arrived on Xmas eve and were one of the best Xmas presents ever... thanks again Momma!
It sounds like you had an AWESOME Christmas Em! Gifts really aren't necessary IMO. Addie is well-loved and it sounds like your family spent quality time together. That's what counts.

We spent under $100 on each other and less than $50 on each kid. Our budget was $400 total for all family and that was something we could live with. I got away with making presents for my dad and mom that they really wanted and like. They have a new raised bed garden and we made customized garden stakes. We also made signs that say cute things like "Papa's Patch" and "Nana's Nummies" Cheesy, but fun. It also didn't cost us more than $20 My sisters and brother got Desert Terrariums with cacti plants in them. My BIL made us a gorgeous candleholder. We REALLY enjoy the handmade stuff more than the bought items.

My girls were totally spoiled by our family, though, in our opinion. That's their choice, though, and nothing we could've said would've stopped them.
#9 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 05:24 PM

We got entirely too much. Christmas is a big deal for our families and they go way overboard.

Ally Rae got several outfits. My fave part of the holiday was hearing my 25 year old BIL say, "Picking out baby clothes is actually a lot of fun!" Haha! She also got several toys from my IL's and we got her a Mommy Bear that makes womb noises (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about). We also finally got her a baby book. My Mom got her a couple sleepers and a Bumbo seat.

I got, from DH, the Santa Clause movies, a new nice jewelry box, comfy slippers, Hallmark's Gone With the Wind ornaments, and a relaxation kit (labeled from Ally Rae). I got gift cards and cash from Grandparents and my Mom and spent most of it at Ann Taylor this weekend at their awesome sales. I got several other fun things I wanted (books, CD's, fitness DVD, etc). My IL's got us our big TV and because my MIL insists everyone has gifts under the tree, she shopped more. haha! She got me a PJ set from Ann Taylor Loft and a cute top from Ann Taylor.

My fave gift was for Ally Rae. My FIL went to Build-A-Bear and made her a bunny! He named it himself (Hoppy) and even made a wish on the heart they put in it. It's SO cute! I love that he did that.....he's such a great Papa. I'm so glad Ally Rae has him.

I'm sure I'm forgetting gifts but that's the general jist.
#10 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow! You guys put everything you got, so I'm going to share what else I got too!

My BFF got me a giftcard for a 1 hour massage, and I cannot WAIT to redeem that one! DH also got me the racing stripes in black and chrome for my Mini Cooper so once they're on my car will look like this. He also got me the checkerboard shifter knob and plugs for the doors. My car is going to be so fabulous!!!

MIL/FIL got me $350 giftcard to Macys, and they gave DH $400 to Lowes so we can work on the house and get stuff done. Very generous, plus they basically gave us everything we could ever want for Nora as well. We got a couple hundred for Target, too. So helpful!

I got DH an aluminum water bottle and a massager. That was what he wanted and he's very happy with both - he loves the water bottle. He carries it around with him everywhere! So, I'm happy about that.

I'm so happy I started this thread, I love reading what everyone else got, too! So great!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#11 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
My fave gift was for Ally Rae. My FIL went to Build-A-Bear and made her a bunny! He named it himself (Hoppy) and even made a wish on the heart they put in it. It's SO cute! I love that he did that.....he's such a great Papa. I'm so glad Ally Rae has him.

I'm sure I'm forgetting gifts but that's the general jist.
That's so sweet!
#12 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 08:14 PM

We shopped entirely local this year which is something I am very proud of.

My stepdaughters each got a set of beautiful, non-petroleum colored pencils in a felt pencil roll, a couple of books that we thought would interest them, a $50 gift made in their honor to protect a chimpanzee in the congo, and handmade boxes from their father that we filled with little pieces of paper that each contained a thing we love about them. We also made a book of family coupons that they can redeem toward things like one-on-one lunches, skipping eating their vegetables for one night, and a year's subscription to the magazine of their choice.

I got my husband a block of Claro Walnut that he can use for his wood working projects, a new bandsaw blade and a pair of handmade leather and sheepskin slippers.

My husband got me a silk scarf, a beautiful, hand-hammered ring from Greece that has an owl representing the Goddess Athena on it, and some fair trade hand-woven nesting baskets for Lars Oskar's room.

For our family gift exchange, I got my SIL a handmade vintage bark cloth purse and a silver barrette.

I got a BCBG cowl neck sweater from my BIL.

And Lars Oskar got a plant-dyed wood rattle, a cotton and wool Waldorf doll, two Disana and three Swaddlebees merino wool covers.

My mother got Lars Oskar a Scandinavian Star lamp and a little silk Pilot cap.

It was a beautiful Christmas filled with love, family, excellent food, sumptuous gifts and wonderful times. I feel very blessed.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#13 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 PM

We shopped local also or off of Craigslist so we could recycle perfectly good items.

DH and I didn't do anything for each other. Oh wait, actually I got him fenders for his mountain bike so that wasn't really local shopping since it came from REI. We just moved so we were trying to keep costs down. DH's dad sends us a little bit of money though so we usually split it or decide on something big for us. I think this year we'll buy a docking station for the ipod.

We got the kids a huge set of duplo legos, a Sleeping Beauty Dress and Annie got a walnut teether, rattler.
#14 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 PM

We went fairly light this year, trying to save up for a big vacation in May. DH gave me a GC to our favorite Italian restaurant, season 4 of Grey's Anatomy, and a car kit for my iPod. I gave him the Ironman DVD, a GC for a round of golf, a new dress shirt and trousers, and some tools. DS got mostly Star Wars and Transformers toys and lots of puzzles and Legos add-ons. DD got a Bumbo, a-hundred-and-one outfits from the grandparents, and lots of rattles and teethers. My dad bought us a flat panel TV while he was here for Thanksgiving, and he sent a tummy-time mat for DD and a remote control truck for DS. The ILs were visiting for Christmas and gave DH a ton of tools for woodworking, and they gave me an All-Clad saute pan. They also bought us a new 4-slice toaster. Sad, but true - I love getting things for the kitchen!
#15 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 PM

I got myself a fabulous didy wrap. DH got my some wool house slippers. DD made me a book herself and DS bought me a pretty red coffee mug from starbucks. I think that was my favorite gift. He was so happy and proud to give it to me- even before he opened his santa presents.
#16 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 10:30 PM

We don't really do Christmas for each other, mainly because dh is a scrooge. It's slightly upsetting because it was always a big deal growing up. So he got a hat he picked out for himself.. and I got nothing. So today I bought myself a much needed new wallet and will get myself a much needed new pair of shoes tomorrow! To me, from me, and just a little late Now, when I get home, my mommy will have gifts for me We only got the kids a few things because we have to have room to take them back home, but when we get home there's a few bigger things I'd like to get ds, plus there'll be things from the grandmas & aunts for them. On the 26th we took a trip to WV to visit my family that I haven't seen in a couple of years, and it was such a lovely time. A great present, really, to be able to celebrate my sweet little cousin's 10th birthday with her, the last one I got to spend with her was her 1st, and it's so incredible to see her, such a big girl, when I remember her as a sweet, tiny little one!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#17 of 25 Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 PM

We're not big on Xmas gifts in our house really. DH and I don't buy Xmas gifts for each other, and I must say one less gift to worry with is a gift in itself. Hoping I don't sound like a scrooge! We just make a bigger deal out of birthdays. We usually do a shopping spree together with our Xmas money and gift cards after the new year, too.

I received an Amazon gift card from my mother, a ginormous check from my in-laws along with a B&N gift card and a kit to plant a maple tree that will grow along with Calla (I loved that - very sweet .

DH and I didn't buy Calla anything, which I feel a bit weird about now, but honestly she doesn't need anything! She's starting Itsy Bitsy Yoga next week, so we're considering that her gift.

From my mom she got some clothes and a Raggedy Ann doll that she ADORES. She talks to it and smiles at it and loves to squeeze its hair. My in-laws gave her a big check for her bank account, one SIL gave her a check, the other gave her a big noisy plastic toy (but Calla loves when that toy plays the Itsy Bitsy Spider song). Her great-grammy sent even more money. Calla has a big chunk of her first year of college tuition already! (Well, by then it might cover books anyway).

A good friend sent her a lot of baby toys - rattles and such. Another friend gave her some clothes. As we see our other friends she'll probably get a few other things.
#18 of 25 Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 AM

You certainly don't sound like a scrooge, especially not if it's a joint decision. My dh doesn't make a big deal of anything, though, so it's a bit upsetting since birthdays & christmas were such a big deal growing up, even when presents weren't involved, it was still a special time. I call him a scrooge because to him it's just another day, he couldn't care less about decorations or traditions and he never even thought to get me something, and whined about the money spent on a few wee gifts for the kids :. I don't go overboard with birthdays, but I love Christmas and do then, probably just because that's how it was growing up

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#19 of 25 Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM

1ht...

I got two awesome things for Christmas. A new digital cam, which I think i already posted about, and new perscription glasses. I have terrible eyesight. Contacts are in the -9, -10 range. I've had the same glasses for ten year now lol. Not only have my eyes changed dramatically since then, but these things are beat up, scratched, super gue stuck to one of the lenses from an at home repair, they've been welded back together a few times, and the last time it was done the guy told me they were rotting from the inside on the earpieces.

So DH splurged and got me a fantastic new pair with all the neat upgrades like anti-glare. I can't wait until they come in!

DS had a huge Christmas this year. I think we subconsciously spoiled him a bit because it has been a crazy year for him. Had I known he would get so much from other people I think we would have limited what we got him.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#20 of 25 Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
DH and I didn't buy Calla anything, which I feel a bit weird about now, but honestly she doesn't need anything! She's starting Itsy Bitsy Yoga next week, so we're considering that her gift.
Itsy Bitsy Yoga? (I know, I live away from the conveniences of metropolitan life) What is that? Mother and baby yoga or just baby yoga/massage? I'm intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
You certainly don't sound like a scrooge, especially not if it's a joint decision. My dh doesn't make a big deal of anything, though, so it's a bit upsetting since birthdays & christmas were such a big deal growing up, even when presents weren't involved, it was still a special time. I call him a scrooge because to him it's just another day, he couldn't care less about decorations or traditions and he never even thought to get me something, and whined about the money spent on a few wee gifts for the kids :. I don't go overboard with birthdays, but I love Christmas and do then, probably just because that's how it was growing up

I'm with you there on the upsetting part. I didn't even get a birthday card from my DH this year. When I said I didn't want anything, I still needed a little bit of love from him-- he only declares it 3x per year in writing-- mother's day, our anniversary and my birthday. The only way I ever get anything from him for Christmas is if I buy it and wrap it myself. My dad was the same way, so I can't wait until DD has good taste and takes daddy out to shop for me, so I'll finally have some surprises!
#21 of 25 Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM

^ It's baby yoga... I wish it were baby + mama, because I really need to get back in a yoga class, too, and that would make it easier.
#22 of 25 Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 PM

I forgot to tell you all the fave gift I got!! My Mom got me a Bebe Au Lait nursing cover!! It's so awesome. I've used it a ton. It sure does make NIP easier. I don't need 3 hands anymore.
#23 of 25 Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM

DH got me a new camera! I'm so excited, I wasn't expecting it. MIL got me a sit 'n stand stroller, more for dd1 than anything. She won't sit in a stroller and I'm no good at wearing a 2 year old along with a baby, so I need a way to keep her with me. I'm hoping it works!

We got Maya a jumperoo, even though she's still a bit too small for it. My niece is 6 months old has one and absolutely loves it, so I'm hopeful Maya will too. DD1 got a trampoline, one with handles that makes noises when she jumps. I don't know where we're supposed to put all this stuff though!
#24 of 25 Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 PM

Yay for Christmas - I like Christmas

My sweetie DH got me a new sewing machine And a stuffed buffalo The family that owns one of our grocery store chains has a buffalo herd (and sell buffalo meat at the stores) - they have these cute plushie buffalo (they really are cute!!!!) and I asked DH for one hah! Funny thing is, he ran in and bought it one night with me in the car and told me I couldn't look at the groceries. And I sat there and tried to figure out what the heck kind of Christmas present he was going to buy at the grocery store

My parents bought me some books I wanted (I adore Christmas b/c I get books <3) and a new binder for my planner. They also give me my new planner pages every year. My mom gave me new undies, fun!

I gave DH two novels from an anime series we watched together just after Galen was born. The first two novels have been translated to English - The Twelve Kingdoms. My mom and I schemed together to get him the Complete Calvin and Hobbes collection as well.

Kiddos got tons of stuff! My folks got Galen a sheepskin which is so soft, warm, and wonderful.

My favorite present that was gave was Photobooks I put together on Shutterfly's website. I made 20 page 8.5x11 ones that went through our year in pictures. We gave those to my parents, DH's mom and grandma, and to Mr. C & Mrs. S, neighbors who are like grandparents to the kiddos.

We had a pretty good Christmas this year

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#25 of 25 Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 PM

^Oooo, I made photobooks too, for our Grandparents of Ally Rae's first 2 mo. They were a huge hit!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page