Teeth already?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teeth or cold?

Ally Rae has been chewing vigorously on her hands since Thanksgiving and is SOOO slobbery! Her clothes and hands are constantly wet from the drool.

She now has a really snotty nose that was runny all day yesterday. Saturday she was so congested in the morning that she couldn't even nurse until I got it cleared a little with the bulb. There's a cough with this too. No fever and she's not in a bad mood but she's definitely more clingy and wants to nurse ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT which I know is good for her with something like this.

I haven't been able to feel or see signs of teeth but she chews on my finger if I put it in her mouth.

I cut my first 2 teeth together when I was 3mo old so it wouldn't really surprise me but does this sound like teeth or just a cold?
#2 of 13 Old 12-29-2008, 05:49 PM

It sounds like a cold to me.... and a baby who's discovered her fingers/who's salivary glands are well developed lol!

Almost every baby I know between 2-3 maybe 4 months starts chewing/sucking/drooling on either their hands or yours (or both) and anything they learn to grab onto. Some babies happen to get teeth that early as well, but I wouldn't consider this to necessarily be a 'sign.'

FYI Samuel is chewing on his hands and ours (and anything that touches his mouth).

However the cough, and snot definitely sounds like a little cold, poor thing, at least her instincts are right, to nurse and stay close to Mama so that Mama can clear her nose and comfort her.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#3 of 13 Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM

Nora's doing the same, and we thought she was teething as well. I read around online and came to a site that said something like, "Many new parents often think their 3 month old is teething, but they're just exploring with their hands and have found their mouth."

Here is the article, lol. I just searched for it.

I do agree that it sounds like Ally Rae has a bit of a cold. Keep doing what you're doing and nurse her like crazy. She'll pull right through it!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 13 Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 PM

Add Ellie to this list. She's been chomping on fingers instead of sucking on them for over a month now, drooling like crazy (I have to actually put a bib on her sometimes in order to save an outfit) and she's always got one of her hands in her mouth. This was new to me, as DS didn't really drool or chew his fist much. Maybe it was because he always had a boob in his mouth lol...

And if she's got a cold, I hope Ally feels better soon!

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#5 of 13 Old 12-29-2008, 10:33 PM

Just yesterday I noticed Calla was drooling. I looked it up and saw that it wasn't uncommon and didn't necessarily mean she was going to get a tooth right away. Maybe she will take after her mom and get them early, though...

She's chewing on her fists a ton, too.

Sorry to hear about Ally Rae's runny nose. I am sure she'll be feeling better soon.
#6 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 12:30 AM

Hope Ally Rae is feeling better soon! Addie had a cold a few weeks ago and I got very good at grabbing boogers with the bulb so she could breathe to nurse. Try running the shower with the bathroom door closed, the steam really helps to loosen boogers and Addie would then get some good sneezes and get them down where I could reach them.

I also just posted a thread in LWAB b/c Addie is showing TONS of signs of teething, not just the drool and the bringing everything to mouth. She's totally irritated and fussy, screaming and wailing, and generally being a pill. She's also not eating or sleeping like normal. I really hope she's not teething abnormally early. :

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#7 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 AM

My little miss has been chewing on her fist like a madman! And the drool and fussiness seems non-stop sometimes, lol. When my hubby puts his finger in her mouth she chomps down really hard and makes chewing motions. You can see 2 little bumps where her teeth will eventually come in and she loves when you rub them when she's cranky, but we're not sure if she's teething quite yet or if she's just exploring.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#8 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 AM

DS had a cold last week, but the fist chewing and nipple tweAKING have persisted, as well as the saliva and the "teething rash" around his anus from increased saliva.

Dr. Sears says that teething begins two months before the first tooth. So, Tara, I think that if you had your first teeth at 3 months, then it's likely Ally will get hers early too. I was at 4 months, and so was DD, so I've chalked Bryson's changes in behavior to teething.
#9 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 03:17 PM

G has been doing the same thing. It can be the beginning of teething, as it can take a few months before the first tooth actually cuts through. The earliest any of mine cut their first tooth was #5, a few days before turning 4 months. Average for my kids is around 6 months or so. The latest of all mine was my #6 at 9 months. She is 8 and just now losing her baby teeth, along with her sister who is 6...lol!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#10 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I'm thinking it's a cold....I've got it now too. Ally's much better but she's still nursing and sleeping a ton, though she's not nearly as congested.
#11 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 PM

^Humidifiers are great for babes with colds! I couldn't live without mine. It does wonders for dd's congestion.

Maya isn't acting like she's teething yet besides a bit of drool. DD1 started drooling big time and chewing on her hands around 3 months, but didn't get any teeth until she was nearly 8 months old.
#12 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bee! I completely forgot about humidifiers! We have 2 (one in our room and one in the nursery). I need to get those going.
#13 of 13 Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 PM

Yep, here too. We're all got a cold and B is slobbering a LOT. He's also into mouthing his hands a lot the last week.

Feel better soon Ally Rae!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page