Wonder Weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As in "I wonder what all this fussing is about?!?"

Thought I'd share this link about Wonder Weeks since: a.) I've never heard of them before, and b.) Most of our kiddos are close to 12 weeks...

So... is this concept a buncha hooey or does it sound feasible to you? Calla has definitely been more fussy lately, but I thought she was just outgrowing her reflux medicine dosage...

I'm off to research this further while Calla is calmly comfort nursing...
#2 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM

It sounds pretty feasible to me! In fact, usually after a really fussy couple of days, we notice Nora doing something different - either interacting with us differently, or noticing more things, or just being more talkative. I love seeing and hearing the differences as she learns and grows!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 01:58 PM

I've noticed this with all my babes. Iris was a major fuss pot last week and now it seems she's a whole different baby, cooing and smiling so much more. She's also started this belly laugh when her big brothers hover over her...it is too sweet. I definately think her fussy spell last week gave way to her becoming way more social this week.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#4 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 PM

My first babe always had a "preview" time before she started meeting a new milestone. Sometimes she would be fussy or others she would sleep less or eat more. I think the big Wonder Weeks are around 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 16-18 weeks (for the big rollover) somewhere in 6 months (for sitting up) and then of course whenever they're getting close to crawling and walking.
#5 of 16 Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 PM

Very interesting...I did notice with my other two that just before reaching a milestone they would sleep less and nurse more.
#6 of 16 Old 12-31-2008, 11:18 AM

I love the positive tone-- "wonder week" my a-- when the sleep only lasts a 1/2 hour each time. Sorry, do I sound cranky?

I agree that it sounds really feasible.
#7 of 16 Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Haha yeah! Why don't they just be honest and call it "Hell Week" ?

But it's reassuring to know all that fussiness is going to result in new skills. Makes it a bit easier to swallow. Also knowing it's temporary and that my little darling's personality hasn't changed for good.
#8 of 16 Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 AM

I have no idea. Carolyn is right between "wonder weeks" according to their schedule, since she's 15 weeks tomorrow. Her learning new things tends to be pretty gradual though.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#9 of 16 Old 01-01-2009, 02:39 AM

Gosh I hope this is what is up with Addie. She's being so fussy and so unlike herself this week! I've actually been dreading her waking up, which I never do, b/c first off she's only cat napping and I'm not getting anything done and secondly she's such a pill the whole time.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#10 of 16 Old 01-01-2009, 04:06 AM

Interesting! Helena has been kinda fussy lately as well, but she is turning 10 weeks this week (supposed to be a good week). Sometimes I feel like I can't keep up with her...just when I think I have gotten used to what she needs, wants, or is interested in, she changes! pretty cool.
#11 of 16 Old 01-01-2009, 09:29 AM

I hope this is the cause of Emily's constant nursing and increased fussiness. - since xmas day she's been bf'ing for much longer periods and often very fussy about it too, and sleeping very restlessly in the day. Currently sleeping peacefully with DH though. If this is a 'wonder week' it better finish soon, it's been a week already .
#12 of 16 Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 AM

Don't know if you guys saw my other thread...but seriously...this past week has been painful. (Made doubly so b/c my three year old is without school and is naughty when bored.....)

Lilith spends her days (and nights) doggedly trying to sit up from a laying position any time you lay her down. If you try to help her sit up she straightens her legs in an attempt to stand up. and she gets/stays mad about the entire thing. You can just tell she's just so frustrated...she wants to get up and go! go! go!

She has also taken to waking up around midnight and then staying up and doing sit ups and crying/chatting for about 2 hours every night.

This is my last week of mat leave and I shudder to think of the quality of my cognitive skills when I am at work if she keeps this up.....

Oh, and to top it all off...we are all down with a cold/snots again...seriously? I feel like we've been passing this thing around amongst ourselves for 3 months straight.
#13 of 16 Old 01-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
I love the positive tone-- "wonder week" my a-- when the sleep only lasts a 1/2 hour each time. Sorry, do I sound cranky?

I agree that it sounds really feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
Haha yeah! Why don't they just be honest and call it "Hell Week" ?
Hell week sounds much more appropriate.

We're definitely going through this year, right on schedule in her 12th week. Sigh.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#14 of 16 Old 01-01-2009, 05:12 PM

I first heard about wonder weeks when Adrian was a nb. He was right on with each one of them. They do say that their research is based on 40 weekers, so if your baby was born at 38 or 36 or 42 weeks, adjust it accordingly. Adrian was a 36 weeker and he was right on (4 weeks "late") for every wonder week.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#15 of 16 Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemnor View Post
Don't know if you guys saw my other thread...
This is a bit OT, but when I originally saw your thread I thought it had something to do with exercising. Sit ups rage = the rage I feel when I look at my tummy and realize I need to be doing sit ups...

Seriously, though, good luck to you and all of us dealing with this fussiness. It seems easier to to take when you learn that it's going to result in new babyskillz.
#16 of 16 Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 AM

Perhaps the name has to to with "I wonder when my sanity will return?" Or "It's a wonder that I had another child after multiple weeks like this one."

Anyway, I love the concept, and right time or not, this is a wonder week for Bryson. I can handle a week of this (or 4 more days) but not much more.

I'm wondering whether only the "wonder weeks" burned in my brain from Dd, as this is how I remember her being all.the.time.

I'll say one thing, they are a good form of birth control!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page