Weekly Chat January 3-9 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
Does anyone else seem to have a lot of death in their lives lately?
Huge hugs, sweetie. Death has been around me a lot the past few months as well and it does make things very hard. You have us and you have your DH, we'll always be around to talk to.

AAM - Whoa boy is being back at work hard! I'm busy most of the day but I still pop on here from time to time to read. I miss Nora so hardcore. I feel like I'm missing milestones and that makes me feel like such crap.

The first two days MIL said she was really gassy, and she got this really awful rash on her bum (with a blister, it looks like) and I felt so bad for her.

This is going to sound bad, but I've never heard of this blistering butt rash before, and when MIL told me about her kids getting it when they were babies, I thought it sounded weird. Nora has NEVER had a rash at all ever, and after 1 day with MIL, she's got this awful blister and a rash. Do you think it's possible that she's doing something that would cause this in all her kids and now mine? How strange is that?

Nora is definitely reverse cycling now, as well. Last night she woke up 4 or 5 times to nurse, and was very grunty while she slept. I got about 3 hours of real sleep -- I'm a total zombie today. And I still can't have much caffeine b/c it upsets her tummy so much.

Pumping is going ok. I posted in the BF forum b/c it's a lot trickier than I thought it would be. I'm glad I had the experience now of EP'ing in the beginning b/c I know what to expect from the pump and from myself, at least to some degree. I'm still freaking out that I'm not pumping "enough" even though so far I've had to freeze about half of what I've gotten b/c she's barely touching her bottles at MIL's. It's just such a process and I miss the ease of nursing her so much. Plus, I still have fears about milk drying up overnight and whatnot!

I miss you guys so much! I feel like I've left the party!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM

mamanurse.. is the Aiden & Anais just regular muslin fabric (with colors/print on it) that's been hemmed? I just can't see paying that much for muslin.... lol especially if I could make it myself!

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#93 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Emily, that's great news about DH's job! I'll be hoping it all continues to work out!

Crabbyowl, how awesome for your DH! Congrats to him! What an honor!

We swaddle Ally Rae at night too. She's just TOO squirmy to sleep w/o it! by morning she has squirmed her way almost out of her blanket. I just use a large receiving blanket and wrap her like a burrito, but leave her arms out because it really pi$$es her off if she can't get to her hands.

I'm going a friend's house tonight for dinner and then she and I are going to a Natural Mama's workshop. I'm really excited! She's someone I met in our Bradley class so we have babies who are about 3wks apart.

Question.....

When you all refer to a woven wrap, what exactly does that mean? I went to Wal Mart to get some fabric and asked the gal where the woven fabrics were (I know NOTHING about fabric) and she looked at me like I had 3 heads. Apparently, there are multiple types of woven fabrics? HELP! She asked what I was making and I said, "A wrap like the one I'm wearing." Another gal close by said, "Well, that looks like a fleece material." IT IS you dummy.....I don't want another fleece, I want a woven fabric. Sheesh.
#94 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Tara, when I think of woven fabric I usually think of something with a linen-like feel. Woven fabrics are not stretchy like a cotton-knit. The Moby D wrap has a panel of woven fabric and a wrap like a Didymos is just a length of woven fabric. A lot of mamas feel better about carrying heavier babes in a woven wrap.

Here are some woven fabrics that I love. Kind of pricey but definately good quality.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#95 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Tara check out TBW FSOT section to see some woven...... AND if we all make it (you and us) to LLL next week I'll be glad to show you my woven wraps . I'm not sure a DIY woven from wal-mart would be worth while..... but that's just IMHO.

DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#96 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM

^Thanks! Yes, I'm planning to make it to LLL next week! I'd love to see your woven wraps. Is it a quality thing that makes you think a DIY woven wouldn't be worth while?
#97 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Big exciting news and a mini-vent coming up....

I just wanted to post and let you all know my sister had her first baby yesterday :
I'm the only one of my siblings who had kids so this is my first time being an AUNT. I'm so excited!!

She had a healthy baby boy, 8.5lbs, 20in long
They're both doing well and baby latched on right away and is nursing like a pro :

now for the vent...
She had planned a natural birth since day one, so I'm *really* upset with her choice to have an elective c-section last minute, especially because they had JUST done an u/s at the hospital 5 minutes prior and said everthing was fine and the baby was doing great. But then the dr. said "well if you don't want to wait you can do a c-section now since all the surgeons are here," like it was no big deal. So they decided why not...sigh. It's not my birth it's not my birth it's not my birth....

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#98 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
mamanurse.. is the Aiden & Anais just regular muslin fabric (with colors/print on it) that's been hemmed? I just can't see paying that much for muslin.... lol especially if I could make it myself!
Like Tara, I'm a fabric moron. I'm pretty sure it's just mulin seamed around the edges. They are pretty pricey with the 4 pack being $11. If you want to pay shipping, Rae, I'll send you one and you can send it back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
The first two days MIL said she was really gassy, and she got this really awful rash on her bum (with a blister, it looks like) and I felt so bad for her.

This is going to sound bad, but I've never heard of this blistering butt rash before, and when MIL told me about her kids getting it when they were babies, I thought it sounded weird. Nora has NEVER had a rash at all ever, and after 1 day with MIL, she's got this awful blister and a rash. Do you think it's possible that she's doing something that would cause this in all her kids and now mine? How strange is that?
Weird about the rash. How often does she change her?
#99 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Weird about the rash. How often does she change her?
Often! The first day she said she changed 11 or 12 diapers. I told her that was probably too often, but she said that Nora was screaming due to the tiny squirt of poo in her diaper. I said that's never happened for me. I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#100 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
^Thanks! Yes, I'm planning to make it to LLL next week! I'd love to see your woven wraps. Is it a quality thing that makes you think a DIY woven wouldn't be worth while?
Yeah it's a quality thing, I tried a cheaper wrap (just gave it away or I'd show you the comparison) and it was no where near as supportive or strong etc. The German Style Wraps (GSW) are some of the best out there such as didymos wraps (I have one of the lower priced ones). The thing is with wraps you can spend as little or as much as you want! I've seen wraps for $60 up to $800!!!! I spent $100 on my used Lisa Didymos I'm the 4th owner.. they hold their value and are softer/easier to use after they get broke in so buying used is actually advisable for newbies (like me!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Big exciting news and a mini-vent coming up....

I just wanted to post and let you all know my sister had her first baby yesterday :
I'm the only one of my siblings who had kids so this is my first time being an AUNT. I'm so excited!!

She had a healthy baby boy, 8.5lbs, 20in long
They're both doing well and baby latched on right away and is nursing like a pro :
Congrat's on being an Aunt... that is way cool I LOVE being an Aunt (I became one at 16 lol). Sorry she wacked out in the end and CHOSE a C-section. I totally understand emergency c-sec's... but elective.. I don't get! ((hugs))

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Like Tara, I'm a fabric moron. I'm pretty sure it's just mulin seamed around the edges. They are pretty pricey with the 4 pack being $11. If you want to pay shipping, Rae, I'll send you one and you can send it back
Nah you don't need to send me one though the ones I was seeing were $44 for a four pack!!!!

#101 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Carrie, is she just feeding her pumped breastmilk? Is it possible she's giving her any formula or anything that she might be reacting to? Is she using the same brand of diapers? Not sure if you are using cloth, but if so, is she washing them at her place with a different detergent?
just some ideas off the top of my head

we posted at the same time Rae. I totally agree abt emergency c-secs vs. hey it's more convenient. I really get the whole not wanting to be pregnant anymore, but really? at 40 weeks and 2 days and "just because we're already here"? I don't get. They didn't even have their bags or anything. They just went in for a regular appt. sigh. I'm happy for her really, but she's all the way overseas with no family around. I wish she hadn't made a snap decision out of convenience that may affect her postpartum with no support around.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#102 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 07:45 PM

Tara, I've read that the only kind of wrap that's not really a good one to make yourself is a woven wrap, because the material used to make them is a special kind of woven, made just for babywearing. I'd do some seriously reading before you buy some regular woven and DIY. And a woven is anything that's not a knit and knits are general stretchy (to some extent, some more then others).. so if the material is stretchy, it's a knit. Wovens, if you look at them close, look.. woven, and knits look knitted I'm on the hunt for a nice woven wrap myself!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#103 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM

Yeah, DIY wraps are totally a waste of money imo. You can't buy the kind of fabric a good wrap is made from because it's woven specifically for wrapping.

www.didymos.com there's a section explaining it all on the didy site. I have two and I'm selling one of them because it's a little too short for me. One was 80 and the other 140. They totally hold their resale value as they're better when broken in.
#104 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
Nah you don't need to send me one though the ones I was seeing were $44 for a four pack!!!!
That's what I meant. They come out to $11 each.
#105 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
That's what I meant. They come out to $11 each.
lol okay..

#106 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 PM

NYMT - Nope, the only thing that crosses Nora's lips is my breastmilk, and she's using 'sposies and wipes that I bring over.

I think she's teething. Like hardcore. And I think it's a coincidence, mostly. But it just seems strange, is all.

#107 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Carrie: It does sound strange to me too.: Hmmm. If I had to guess, it sounds like a skin irritation and not something from diet. I would guess she isn't changing her often enough but you say she says she does. It is very odd. Maybe take a day on the weekend and have her watch Nora while you are there so you can see how and what she does exactly. A big rash and blister would NOT be okay in my book. I would almost not be able to stay at work if it were me. ((hugs)) I don't know how you do it.
I am so thankful I can stay home with Jasper. I will keep you and Nora in my thoughts.

Sonshine: I use and swear by my Aden + Anais muslin swaddles as well. I have two sets of 4-packs of them and use them daily.: They are muslin yes but they are much much softer. Ask anyone who has used them. The price is worth it to me.

Tara: I ditto what they all told you. I would never DIY a woven wrap unless you are a skilled weaver and can make your own magical fabric. Just my 2 cents. Its not the same as cutting out a knit fabric to order and sewing the edges.
I don't have a woven wrap myself but I would love one.

My pal who is pregnant and I got together the other day and made minky blankets and lovies for our babies.
Jasper's came out so well and he LOVES it so.
He has slept with it and I notice even when he isn't in his Halo, he still sleeps as if he is.
The blanket I made is a deep forest green minky with dots and has a satin edging that matches.
I will try to take a picture of it.
The fabric cost me $12 total for it all (including thread) and we got a blanket and two lovies out of it.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#108 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 PM

ooo, I minky! I've made both my dd's minky dot-lined blankets...so cozy!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#109 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 PM

Just wanted to post real quick my new favorite way to wear Addie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bu5K...eature=related

I just made dinner while she passed out! Yeah!!:

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#110 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 PM

I had B in my didy like that yesterday. Everytime I walked past the mirror he'd grin at himself and crane around to keep looking.
#111 of 143 Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Miss I loves that hold. She's less and less tolerant of the wrap lately though.
The wrap in that YT video is the BBS that I have, too!

I've got this beco in orange coming in the mail...I'm so hoping Iris likes it.

#112 of 143 Old 01-09-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post

That's an awesome way to wear a baby. I just put Hazel forward facing in my pouch today for the first time and she loved it.

Laughing at your little boy giggling at himself in the mirror Changed.
#113 of 143 Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
ooo, I minky! I've made both my dd's minky dot-lined blankets...so cozy!
You should post a picture! I took a picture just now of Jasper sleeping in his but I can't find the upload cable just now.

Changed: Jasper started grinning at himself in the mirror a few days ago. Its the cutest thing ever isn't it?

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#114 of 143 Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post

thanks for posting this, i think i will try it! i have been wearing davin forward facing with his legs out, but that one looks more secure. though he would probably never fall asleep like that, he is so visually stimulated that i usually have to cover his eyes to get him to nap.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#115 of 143 Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM

In a hurry...

I've been reading and I send BIG s to Amy Lynn, Kelli, farmerjess, and all the mamas facing frustration, illness, grief, etc.

Guess who has begun waking up frequently in the night wanting to nurse? Yep, little Miss Calla! Two nights in a row. At least we co-sleep, so it's not too big of a deal. It's just weird.

Swaddling her arms makes a huge difference though. She's been asleep for five hours, since I swaddled her arms at 4 AM (after waking up nearly every hour since 9 PM). Thanks again Jenn for that suggestion. It's a nice feeling to have all the housework done AND a shower (+ makeup!!!).

I just used an oversized receiving blanket (strategically folded to get the most length out of it). It seems to be working fine.

Well Calla is awake, and no wonder, it's time for her reflux medicine.

Congrats to crabbyowl's DH!
#116 of 143 Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Carrie: Some thoughts on Nora's rash...

Has your diet changed with your return to work, possibly?

Also, if your MIL is changing the baby a lot, maybe she's overdoing it with the wipes?

Hope it clears up soon!
#117 of 143 Old 01-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
Carrie: Some thoughts on Nora's rash...

Also, if your MIL is changing the baby a lot, maybe she's overdoing it with the wipes?

Hope it clears up soon!
That's what I was thinking....I don't know if it could cause a rash, but how hard is she wiping??

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#118 of 143 Old 01-09-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
That's what I was thinking....I don't know if it could cause a rash, but how hard is she wiping??
Carrie I'm wondering if Nora could have a yeast diaper rash.. try googling that.. and look at a few images. ((Hugs))

#119 of 143 Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Yes, I was going to suggest this too, especially because I've just spent the morning looking up info on candida and you did have thrush for a long while (I have it again!

#120 of 143 Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM

OMG, I don't know if they are extreme cases but after googling images for a yeast diaper rash - those look horrible! No, that's not what Nora's tushie looks like at all. It's just slightly pink around her little butthole and a teensy little scab-looking blister, still inside the crack. I've been keeping buttpaste and desitin on it (we use 'sposies) and it goes away and comes back.

Never thought I'd talk so candidly about my daughter's behind online! She'll kill me if she finds out when she's older!

I think I'm just going to have to candidly ask and make sure MIL isn't giving her anything besides BM and maybe watch her do a diaper change. Maybe she does something weird? Who knows? I never watched her do a diaper change and now I feel silly for not making sure she knows how to change a girl's diaper. She's only had boys. Maybe she's doing something wrong??

*scratches head thinking, "How hard it is to change a diaper??"*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page