Crazy-making hormones? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-05-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why are my moods so up and down - can I still put this down to post-birth hormones, or lack of sleep, or just the adjustment to having a baby? Today my mood varied from really happy to utterly despairing, wishing I hadn't had a baby at all : (much as I love her). Then happy again, then miserable, and now am fairly happy. When I'm feeling miserable it all just seems impossibly hard and I don't think I can do it, I have to force myself to look after her and I think that I reget having had a baby at all, I wonder if it was a terrible mistake but it's too late to take it back. I dream about leaving the house, getting in the car and driving away. I wouldn't actually do this and I do love her to bits but sometimes I feel so exhausted and drained. I wish I could be a good mum all of the time instead of feeling like this sometimes . I think that getting out of the house every day would help (although I do go out or have someone visit probably 2 or 3 out of 5 weekdays) but I'm so tired and getting dressed etc is so difficult with a baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 03:50 AM

Have you looked into PPD any? I know I have my bad days, but if you're really feeling as miserable as you sound if something/someone could help it'd be worth it to reach out.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#3 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hugs to you Mama!

I agree with Em that perhaps it would be worth looking into PPD as a cause for some of the difficult emotions you are feeling.

I have bad days too but it sounds like you are cycling through emotion at a pretty rapid rate and that can get exhausting. I think having someone to talk to would be a major help.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#4 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 11:21 AM

I agree, you should try to talk to someone about PPD.

And also, you ARE a good mum no matter what. You can't help your emotions. Just try to realize that they are temporary, and that's not how you really feel about your baby.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#5 of 9 Old 01-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbah View Post
I dream about leaving the house, getting in the car and driving away. I wouldn't actually do this and I do love her to bits but sometimes I feel so exhausted and drained. I wish I could be a good mum all of the time instead of feeling like this sometimes . I think that getting out of the house every day would help (although I do go out or have someone visit probably 2 or 3 out of 5 weekdays) but I'm so tired and getting dressed etc is so difficult with a baby.
I had this exact same thought w/ dd. Are you getting any time for yourself?
#6 of 9 Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 AM

I was thinking PPD as well mama. I think those feelings are very normal to a certain degree but the way you describe it sounds more intense. It can't be easy to feel so crappy and unsure of your abilities as a mama. You really are a great mama.
#7 of 9 Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Hey, just sending good thoughts and empathy. Many days I could have written this post; I know exactly how you are feeling. You absolutely deserve support, friendship, sunshine, fresh air, a good walk...and even medication if you need/choose to go that route! good luck
#8 of 9 Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM

s, Z. Hope you are feeling better soon!
#9 of 9 Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your support. I don't know whether I might be heading towards PPD or just having some bad days, I guess there's a line somewhere but I don't know where exactly. Yesterday was better and today was pretty good - I managed to get dressed (not showered but hey) and go for a walk on my own (with baby) although now I'm feeling not so good again but I think it's just been a long day and I'm tired. I'm going to aim to get out of the house every day, preferably for a walk, and will see where that takes me, I feel like walking will really help. If that doesn't seem to make a difference then I guess I'll have to reevaluate and maybe consider other things but that seems scary so I'll just think about the walking for now. I'll make sure to join the new October ddc website so I can keep in touch with everyone, although I don't post very often I love seeing how everyone's getting on.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page