Weekly Chat January 10-16 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hmm *Rae's wheels are turning* ..... so Tara why not just buy the diapers in smaller amounts? $15 a week turns out to $60 a month.. depending on what kind of diapers you settle on you can get a great start in a couple months or so.
Seriously though if all it were was money decisions (and not his total refusal and laundry bashing), the fitteds I showed you today (along with covers, and a couple pockets etc). I'm actually trying to give those away (your the second friend I've offered them to, no offense but you weren't interested in CD's when I first wanted to give them away). I've got 20 fitteds that have been used/abused and passed around in baby size and 19 in 'toddler' size that we don't use. I got them all at a LLL benefit auction and only donated $25 for them. And/or if you ever changed your mind about prefolds I'd be willing to let you borrow our infant size (Samuel is in Premium), which could work for a while yet, especially if you just laid them in the covers. But I'd want the prefolds back since we hope to have more kids.

However.. I am a bit concerned with your comment today.. about having an aversion to the lil' ones poo/pee .. you'll have to get over that no matter what kind you use Tara. For me when we used disposables all the time I was ALWAYS cleaning poop and sometimes pee out of clothes because it leaked out everywhere. So I had already gotten used to touching/laundering that kind of stuff. Even with AIO's or OS diapers you'll still have to touch it.... truly you do touch it even with disposables the 'germs' are still on those diapers even if they are dry to the touch. Just something to consider though if you don't think you can get past the ick side of things.... then maybe it's not worth your bother?

Also another thought would be you could try the fitteds as a 'free' way to prove that you will wash them to your DH lol.

Whatever the case I hope you are able to come to an agreement and be content about it with each other .

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#92 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM

Tara, random thought on CDing/laundry... the kind of AIOs I like to use are the ones that the insert is not completely sewn in, just at the top... anyway, with AIOs like that, there's nothing to folding them. Heck, you could just toss them all in a basket and pull one out each time you needed. No laundry folding to worry about.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#93 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 AM

I wore dishwashing gloves when I was dunking and laundering CD's!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#94 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Hey mamas....been lurking for months and just started posting to our DDC.

Why not just buy a few at a time? You can get a dozen prefolds and 3 or 4 covers or a few AIOs for way less than $100, which is plenty to get you started. That way you don't have to involve dh and you can do the cloth during the day to see if it works for you...no sense in trying to convince dh that cloth is best when you're not sure if you'll even like it, ya know?

We're totally committed to cloth for financial and environmental reasons, but we bought some 7th Gen. sposies for our plane trip over Christmas and have some left. Every time I'm in the midst of a poop disaster (which is almost daily) or schleping a bucket full of stinky dipes down to the washer I look wistfully at the pile of sposies in the bathroom....its sooo tempting. My dh would freak though...he thinks sposies should be illegal and I have to admit that I feel like Luca has a paper lunch bag on his bum when he wears one. ;-)
#95 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

^I love it, Carrie!

Tara, this is about the 5th time that I've thought to myself "her dh sounds exactly like my dh" except that mine doesn't touch the kitchen unless there's a worse chore he's trying to avoid.

Rae- my thoughts exactly on the $15 a week. I had multiquoted to say that. One CDing benefit DH finds is that he's not lugging the trash with the stinky 'sposies out, and he doesn't have to make emergency trips to the store when we run out of them!

aam: I'm avoiding going in to talk to my former/future boss about setting up a schedule for me that's flexible for next year. I don't want the reality of having to work to set in yet. Then again, I don't want to go in too close to the time my coworker adopts her baby, since last time my boss saw me babywearing he said "I don't know why you can't just come back to work wearing him!"

I get to go walking with other mamas today! And, tomorrow we're going to pick up my new range for my new kitchen. (Here's hoping the kitchen is up and functioning by June.) I'm soooo excited to get it! Perhaps we'll be able to stop and get one of those little IKEA potties too and spend a few of our gift cards from Christmas. Then it's (hopefully) off to my favorite Farmer's Market in Davis on Saturday morning. Yippeee!
#96 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Why one earth are you guys dunking diapers? You know you don't have to do that right?
#97 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM

^I only dunked when I had to give Nora formula. You would not BELIEVE the stink on the diapers when I left the poo on them. It was like a metal smell. It must have been from the iron in the formula. Once she was back on bm, no way I would dunk. I just threw them in the wash.

I posted on our thread in LWAB about my MIL pouring my BM down the drain, and I just wanted to repeat here that I am SO GLAD I figured it out now that she was doing that instead of later! I was so afraid I was going to have to supplement or pump 4 times a day instead of 3...ugh, that wouldn't have worked out very well. Granted it would have only been for another month or so till I was at home with her, but still.

I talked to DH last night and told him my "plan" for waiting until Nora was 6 months old (at least) before I attempt working part time. He's good with it (and if he weren't, I would have worked on him until he were). I'm going to look for work during that time though and my MIL can babysit when I need to go on interviews. I think I could handle working 2-3 days a week and a weekend, like a Sunday or something. We'll see what's out there.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#98 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Tara,
we use pocket diapers. im a pretty lazy cd'er and it works for me. we have some really cute fitteds but i just tend to stick with one of something for uniformity.

one thing i noticed is that my laundry got done faster when i CD b/c i had to make sure the laundry was done before doing the diapers.

i made it to an LLL meeting yesterday!! yeh!!
#99 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
Why one earth are you guys dunking diapers? You know you don't have to do that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I posted on our thread in LWAB about my MIL pouring my BM down the drain, and I just wanted to repeat here that I am SO GLAD I figured it out now that she was doing that instead of later! I was so afraid I was going to have to supplement or pump 4 times a day instead of 3...ugh, that wouldn't have worked out very well. Granted it would have only been for another month or so till I was at home with her, but still.
My mom was kinda haphazard with it on Tuesday and I gave her "the lecture." I also told her that if she runs out, she'll have to bring Hazel to me to feed as I refuse to give her formula. She looked at me and said "Why? That's what it's for. You guys are fine." I said "Fine? I have lupus, sister 1 has RA, and sister 2 has Crohn's." There's no proof that formula caused these disorders, but it certainly didn't help. I also said "I won't give Hazel formula because it's substandard nutrition. It's the equivalent of giving a multivitamin and a twinkie." She didn't even know there was HFCS in it. So I have a feeling she'll be more conservative with it now.

Olivia, Hazel, and I are going to meet another mom or two for lunch at Cafe Sip 'n Play in a suburb nearby. It should be fun
#100 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Hi Everyone!

I've been busy the last few days preparing for DH leaving for sea Trying to stock up on things that are hard to pick up with three kids (like dog food, windshield washer fluid, etc). His ship leaves on Monday...yikes! I was so worried about how I was going to nurse Charlotte to sleep and keep an eye on the kids at night time so we decided to put our huge, comfy leather chair in my daughters room (which is kind of like their second play room) so I can nurse her in there and keep an eye on my kids.

I think my oldest two can sense that something is going on because they have been acting out lately and testing the waters with me. It gets so frustrating some days being a Mama and the Mama guilt gets to me sometimes but I realized that I have really happy children so I must be doing something right!

Mamanurse: That cafe looks awesome. We have one here that is similar but not as nice. I didn't know that you lived in Vancouver either. We just moved to Halifax after spending a few years on Vancouver Island and we are planning on moving back at the beginning of next year. It's funny...we lived in Victoria for over two years and I never made it over to Vancouver!

Have to cut this short...my coffee maker just beeped, I have a piece of gumdrop cake thawing on the counter and I hear Charlotte starting to fuss....hmmmmmmm...which one to go to first...just kidding!
#101 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Good idea with buying a dipe a week since that $$ wouldn't scare him off of CD'ing! But, you're right Rae, I need to address his other issues because I do have a feeling $$ won't be the only one. As far as my "fear" of baby fluids (), I figure with as many blow outs as I'm cleaning up currently, CD'ing can't be any worse! Right?! We woke up this morning to a blowout...fun. You all are so awesome to listen to my rants and give it to me straight with such awesome suggestions! I really think he'll come around....he has with everything else like NCB, AP, no vax, no circ. He just takes a little longer and more education. I shouldn't complain I guess. At least he cares enough to accept the education. I'm going to email him some of the sites on CD'ing benefits and cost comparison and have him read at his convenience and then come to me when he's ready to talk about more than just laundry.

Yay for walking with other mamas! What a great way to get together! And hooray for LLL meetings! I'm all about those! I know how much I look forward to ours. Carrie, I cannot believe your MIL was tossing your milk! : Mamanurse, I wish we had something that unique here! Looks like loads of fun!

On a crappier note, DH said absolutely nothing about the house being picked up and every single piece of laundry being clean and put away. : Ever feel like you'd be more willing to keep house if you got ANY recognition? *sigh* I know, I know....as Mom's, such is life. And, to top it all off, my voice is gone. Competely gone. I can whisper. I feel fine but no voice. Again,
#102 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionbelt View Post
IMamanurse: That cafe looks awesome. We have one here that is similar but not as nice. I didn't know that you lived in Vancouver either. We just moved to Halifax after spending a few years on Vancouver Island and we are planning on moving back at the beginning of next year. It's funny...we lived in Victoria for over two years and I never made it over to Vancouver!
I live in Portland, Oregon and Vancouver is a suburb just across the river in Washington. It's not even an 1/8 as cool as Vancouver, BC. Hubby and I used to vacation a lot on Vancouver Island. We'd camp in the islands surrounding it via kayak and then we'd stay at a lovely B&B in Victoria. Awwww.... those were the days. We also would go up to Vancouver to party during that same trip. So much fun!

We also vacationed on Lummi Island last summer instead of doing our annual BC trip. It's just not the same with kids. We can't stay in the quaint B&Bs and we certainly can't party in Vancouver. So... it's the simple life for us. We rented a cabin on the water that was $650 for a week. Pretty sweet deal since it had a nice kitchen and we didn't have to go out to eat. Our dog was also welcome on the property.

The cafe was okay, but I'm just not down with paying to play. I think they should have a playplace that the kids can play in with a minimum food/drink purchase. I snuck in food for my daughter since they have a no outside food or drink policy and bought my own lunch. I would have been way more willing to pay the extra $5 for dd's lunch if they didn't charge almost $4 for her to play. I guess I'm just anti-pay because of all the cool, hip, free-to-play coffeeshops here in Portland.
#103 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
On a crappier note, DH said absolutely nothing about the house being picked up and every single piece of laundry being clean and put away. : Ever feel like you'd be more willing to keep house if you got ANY recognition? *sigh* I know, I know....as Mom's, such is life. And, to top it all off, my voice is gone. Competely gone. I can whisper. I feel fine but no voice. Again,
Since you're washing, folding, and (I'm guessing) ironing his clothes he should be the one putting his away IMO. I do Hazel's, mine, diapers, and the "house" laundry such as the towels and sheets. Dh fired me from doing his laundry a few years back (I was so sad about that let me tell you) and I recently tacked on doing Olivia's laundry. Even when I did all the laundry, though, he was still resposible for putting away, hanging up, and ironing his clothes.
#104 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM

So much to try and catch up on...

I am always on top of the cd laundry.... it's our clothes that sit dirty for way longer than they should. It's easy to keep up with the dipes though, if I don't she doesn't have any diapers!! (speaking of.. gotta go start the last rinse)

I don't really ever touch poop. Maybe occasionally I'll get some on me, but really, it hardly ever happens. The cloth contains the poop better I think, although Addie did have 2 blow outs this morning in the course of me trying to eat breakfast! She'd been saving it up though.

We also use cloth wipes - if you are going to go for CD it only makes sense. You just throw them in with the dipes. We have a coffee pump thermos that we keep warm water in, just pump some water out onto the wipe, spray a diaper wipe solution on it (we use kissaluv's) and tada... an awesome wipe for little bums! Then we pat her dry with a new wipe and she'd good to go.

AAM: Just ordered an ERGO from the local lady in town, might be picking it up this weekend! I'm super excited. Addie is getting so heavy and it'd be nice to have a carrier that goes on easier than the wrap but doesn't KILL like the ring sling we have. Dh is super excited too. He loves wearing her for walks on weekend mornings (while Momma sleeps in!) and getting ooh'd and ahh'd over by all the ladies.

My sister and BIL are coming to visit this weekend. It'll be good to have some company. Seems like it's harder to get out and see people (especially since Addie hates her carseat), even our friends with kids. It's also so cold that no one spends any time in the park (which we live right next to). I always thought having kids would be more social and I'd see our friends with kids more often, but it's much more isolating than I expected. We've decided not to vax Addie either, so I don't want to bring her to a huge Mom's group at the hospital - seems stupid to expose her to who knows what there, yk? But there really isn't any other Mommy activities around here to go to.

Update on the little baby: She's lost 12% of her body weight, they've started supplementing with formula, and are still closely monitoring her in the NICU. She keeps having scary drops in her heart rate. The birth was pretty traumatic too; so far the Mom is holding up but I expect once they get home and settled she's going to fall apart. I'm just trying to stay supportive without adding to their stress.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#105 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarie930 View Post
nak

i missed this when i posted. thanks!!! that's awesome! looks like a project i need!
#106 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Since you're washing, folding, and (I'm guessing) ironing his clothes he should be the one putting his away IMO. I do Hazel's, mine, diapers, and the "house" laundry such as the towels and sheets. Dh fired me from doing his laundry a few years back (I was so sad about that let me tell you) and I recently tacked on doing Olivia's laundry. Even when I did all the laundry, though, he was still resposible for putting away, hanging up, and ironing his clothes.
he does iron his clothes but he does it in the morning before work and it's only once a week or so since he wears a suit (polo and khakis on fri). his dress shirts go to the cleaners to be laundered and pressed. it's always been this way.
#107 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Thinking of that little one, Amber.

With regards to cloth diapers and laundry - I am lucky enough to have a pretty good sized laundry room/pantry. I bought a $20 changing pad thing at wally world and have it on top of the dryer. On the shelf above the dryer are her diapers all stacked (prefolds) and a shoe box with the cloth wipes (I do use disposable wipes on poos and disposable diapers at night). The trash can that's my diaper pail is right next to where I stand. The diaper laundry is insanely easy, especially since Eowyn loves to hang out with her butt hanging out while being changed. Diapers don't leave the laundry room unless they're being used, either as a diaper or a burp cloth. I've even bought those little pull-off hooks to hang her covers on. I *really* dislike doing laundry, but I do love knowing that I'm spending less money than I would otherwise, and that all these diapers aren't ending up in a landfill.
#108 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM

No dunking or wet pails for me! I don't think I could handle cding if I had to do that. When her poos become solid I'll shake them into the toilet. I just use a big wetbag with drawstring.. pull drawstring closed, and there is never any odor to the room. During the warmer months I will start using deo disks in the bag.

Ditto to the cloth wipes, AL. I keep a pile of them and a little spraybottle with a homemade wipe solution in it on the changing table.

Thinking of that poor baby.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#109 of 141 Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 PM

Amber- You'll love it! I got rid of my ergo for something prettier... about a dozen baby carriers later I've sold almost all of them off and I'm waiting for the new dark chocolate/kona ergo to come out. It's just hands down the most comfortable for me.
#110 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 AM

Em: I agree w/ Changed...you'll the Ergo! I have the original from when ds2 was a babe and its still one of my fav carriers. My beco butterfly came today and so far I really like it. At first it was a little intimidating with all the straps but we've used it a few times and are getting the hang of it. I was LOL at your comment about your dh wearing Addie...my dh went shopping with I the other day and wore her in the KK fleece pouch...he said that bw'ing makes him a chick magnet!

I'm so sorry for your friend's babe. She's still in my thoughts.

AAM: Dh (who is a realtor) and I went out and looked at a 10 acre farm today. Its a lavender/sheep farm and is gorgeous! We are seriously considering moving to some acreage and taking our older boys out of school. My older ds would especially benefit from hs'ing. The stars would have to align for it to work out but I sure had fun imaging picking lavender and spinning wool!!

I is 3 months today!: Where did the time go? This time last year-almost to the day- I was getting my bfp! I'm a little teary-eyed just thinking about it.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#111 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Amber- You'll love it! I got rid of my ergo for something prettier... about a dozen baby carriers later I've sold almost all of them off and I'm waiting for the new dark chocolate/kona ergo to come out. It's just hands down the most comfortable for me.
You are like the babywearing goddess - I have an ergo but I want a wrap that isn't stretchy b/c L.O. is starting to kill my back when I wear him in the Sleepywrap. What do you recommend? I remember you said you had a Didymos. Do you love it? Did you get it used or did you have to pay full price? I reeeeeally want one from the looks of it.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#112 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I couldn't stand my Ergo : I tried it for about a month with my first and finally sold it on CL for only $10 less than I'd bought it for. For some reason, my boobies were so uncomfortable in the Ergo. I could never get the arm straps right when dd1 was on my back to not be cutting into my Ginormous teetons. My favorite "backpack" type carrier is a mei tai with extra long straps. I don't really have a favorite brand and I own 3 of them. Some might say I'm an addict.
#113 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 AM

Ah, see I'm small busted.

Sarah- you're funny! I had a love hate thing with the didy. It was so beautiful and soft but impractical for my life in every way. I just sold it today.... almost cried! I actually traded maternity clothes for it and sold it for 110$ If you're patient you'll love one.
#114 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 AM

ahh that's sad Changed... I love my Didy Lisa.. and my Ellaroo Kristen.. and my wallypop.net Mei tai!!

Can't imagine selling my Lisa !

DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#115 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=TaraRae82;12997179 I figure with as many blow outs as I'm cleaning up currently, CD'ing can't be any worse! Right?! We woke up this morning to a blowout...fun.

And, to top it all off, my voice is gone. Competely gone. I can whisper. I feel fine but no voice. Again, [/QUOTE]

we have used sposies (7th generation) when going out of town a few times and i swear, i have more blowout issues with sposies than with CD's. CDs are much more absorbant IMHO. having said that, its never easy having 2 in diapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post

I don't really ever touch poop. Maybe occasionally I'll get some on me, but really, it hardly ever happens.

AAM: Just ordered an ERGO from the local lady in town, might be picking it up this weekend! I'm super excited. We've decided not to vax Addie either, so I don't want to bring her to a huge Mom's group at the hospital - seems stupid to expose her to who knows what there, yk? But there really isn't any other Mommy activities around here to go to.
i never touch poop either. and i dont dunk. that would be too much for me! lol!

i hope you love the Ergo. its my absolute favorite!! ds3 (at 3) still uses it.

i just bought a few ring slings b/c i gave all the other ones away before and i think Zen will like them better. i am a wrapper and an Ergo user (love MT's too) but never really got the hang of ring slings...so now im learning something new! lol!

just wanted to mention...we dont vax either but we dont limit our activities based on that. i am of the belief that my children are healthier b/c they are not vaxed...i came to that conclusion after reading a few good books on how the immune system works, the purpose (and benefit) of kids getting common illnesses, etc. etc. I just hate to think that you arent joining something b/c you dont vax (although i hate hospitals and would rather not go there...if thats a group you woudl like and its in an area away from the "medical" stuff, then i say go for it!). sorry to stick my nose in but just thought i woudl give you a different perspective.

Zen is 3 months tomorrow. Im amazed at how the time has flown!
#116 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM

You know, the thing about wraps is that they're no good out of the house if it's muddy, slushy or snowy. And for at home, Iris was too hot and thick.
#117 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Wraps hmm I have a mini van (big one) and we just put the wraps on in the car, so it never touches the mud/snow etc Or I pre-tie them at home, the PWCC still works even with woven wraps, or I can 'almost' do a FWCC and throw the extra length around my neck like a scarf, and then pop him in and finish tieing it.

TMI on diapers lol
For 'touching' poop... it inevitably happens to me regularly either while cleaning baby up, or rinsing out the dipes, though I have a sprayer fixed to my toilet and that helps a lot, so we don't have to dump/soak, just spray the poop off. For us when the kids start solids I still have to spray it off.. cause it's often mushy or squished (from them sitting/falling down lol) into the diaper (yuck I know). I might very well have given up on CD's if it weren't for the diaper sprayer though!
And a big 'yeah that' about having much much much less blow-outs when we switched to cloth diapers.... ugh the kids always had dirty clothes (and diapers) when we used sposies. Nathaniel (my oldest) pretty much always pooped 'up his back' so getting his pants and shirt dirty (SIGH) when we used sposies. I don't think that ever happened again once we switched to CD's!!!!

AAM well we 'almost' went to a Granola Moms meeting here locally, but I chickened out since it's in the single digits outside and snowing.... bleh Then shortly before we would have left if we were going I got a call saying it was canceled anyway. It would have been our first time there if we had gone. From what I understand a lot of the 'regular' LLL members/leaders attend the Granola Moms group so I think I'd already know most of the Moms.

I was doing so much better with my PPD at the start of this week. But then we had a few bad nights (aka very little sleep) and days (no sleep AND tantruming children), and now I'm down again. Sigh... I can hardly wait till I will 'regularly' get sleep at night... but who knows when that'll be. With my first he slept through the night from about 5 months on, but my second didn't until 14 or 15 months! So who knows this time.....

#118 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Orionbelt - thinking of you as your DH prepares to leave! I hope you have a nice weekend together!

Em - Thinking about that little baby!

Changed - yes, I definitely agree that you are a babywearing goddess, since I still can't figure out the logistics of winter babywearing. :

Rae - Glad you were feeling better and hope you get some much needed sleep soon. I know it has made a world of difference for me.

AAM - typically, Nora falls asleep eating at around 10 pm, and we go to bed together and she only wakes to eat once or twice max during the night. Last night was an exception. Apparently she ate all 15 or so oz that my MIL had, plus another 2 oz with DH (I had my last mw appointment last night) and then ate a ton with me (both sides!). She fell asleep at 10 like usual, but woke SCREAMING at 12:30 starving. So I fed her, she thankfully fell back asleep but woke again at 3, 5, and 7 to eat more. What on earth? Hopefully just a growth spurt! I am a zombie today! I slept in till 7:30 and just threw on jeans and a sweatshirt, and threw my hair up in a bun. I look marvelous, lol.

Thank goodness it's Friday! And I get a 3 day weekend to snuggle my little girl!

#119 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post

just wanted to mention...we dont vax either but we dont limit our activities based on that. i am of the belief that my children are healthier b/c they are not vaxed...i came to that conclusion after reading a few good books on how the immune system works, the purpose (and benefit) of kids getting common illnesses, etc. etc. I just hate to think that you arent joining something b/c you dont vax (although i hate hospitals and would rather not go there...if thats a group you woudl like and its in an area away from the "medical" stuff, then i say go for it!). sorry to stick my nose in but just thought i woudl give you a different perspective.
I know what you mean, but the space is really right in the main part of the hospital and a very large range of people come (upwards of 50 Moms). One day that I wasn't there my friend said she left b/c a lady and her baby were coughing like crazy and said they'd "had this bug since we got back from China" and didn't seem to think that maybe the other moms/babies didn't want to be exposed to it! So that kind of freaked me out. Our area has a pretty high rate of pertussis, it's pertussis season, and she's still under 6 months. I just decided that I didn't want to go to this big hospital group b/c too many variables were out of my control there. If there was something smaller, and not at the hospital, I'd go.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#120 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 03:46 PM

^Last night my mw was telling me about how this woman came into the office, she was pg, and announced she just found out the nagging cough she had was pertussis! Louise was like, you can't be here! Get into the exam room, let me get you outta here!

I wouldn't go to that sort of group thing either, IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page