Weekly Chat January 10-16 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't go to that group either. That's just too many people for me anyway, even if they were all healthy. And, with a group that size, there's always going to be someone that is under the weather.

So my Mom has shingles! ICK! She can't be around Ally Rae for at least a few days. She's not happy.

On a better note, my voice is finally returning! And, Ally has been doing her napping in her swing for the last few days! Granted, she won't sleep for as long of a stretch (an hour instead of 2 or 3) but at least I can get things done w/o her help! I just wear her the rest of the day if I need to get things accomplished.

Date night tonight! Hopefully the roads won't be as slick as they were this morning. I so look forward to this night every week! We had some snow and the roads are so slick. There was a 10 car wreck and a 30 car wreck during rush hour this morning. It took DH an hour to get to work and it's normally a 25min drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 PM

I just fell in love with another wrap..... I gotta stay away from TBW FSOT lol..

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6014/p1020185fh9.jpg but isn't it beautiful???? Green waves Didymos..... sigh I'm in the process of purchasing it.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#123 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
I just fell in love with another wrap..... I gotta stay away from TBW FSOT lol..

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6014/p1020185fh9.jpg but isn't it beautiful???? Green waves Didymos..... sigh I'm in the process of purchasing it.
OMGG it is gorgeous.:
Since you seem to be experienced with the Didys, I have a question about sizing.
What size should I go for 5 or 6?
I am 5 '3" and average sized- not chubby but not skinny- and I want to be able to do all the front carries especially and I suppose the back carries too down the road.
4 is too small right?

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#124 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 PM

Well I'm still learning.... but I know most people need the size 6 (4.6m) to do all the carries. If your really small I might go for the 5.. but just to be safe it might be good to do the 6. And try to get one used/broken in.. not only cheaper but much more beginner friendly for it to be broken in already!

DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#125 of 141 Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have to profess my love for this contraption...

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugGlid.../dp/B000M4K4BY

My husband and I are gadget averse. So much so that my husband built my son a play gym out of wood so that I wouldn't have to look at one of those ghastly, sinister plastic things sold in the name of infant development. Plus I wanted something equally beautiful to hang L.O.'s Haba toys from - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/...398293.jpg?v=0 and http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1065/...b16280.jpg?v=0

But we totally caved and bought a bouncy chair (though it is one that mercifully has no ugly stuffed animals or noise making devices) but L.O. has outgrown it. He basically leans down to the ground and the thing won't bounce anymore.

So we bought the swing attachment that goes with the Graco Snugride car seat. It does play music, but the controls for it are so hard to reach when the seat is snapped in that I wouldn't try to turn the music on even if this wasn't something I loathed (total design flaw there). That being said, the music is really not all that bad as far as infant sitting/bouncy/swinging thingees go. I couldn't believe it. The motor is kind of loud, but L.O. is such a light sleeper that I find it kind of acts as a white noise filter and helps him stay asleep. It was only $35. Not bad! And L.O. looooves it. Just sleeps and sleeps in it.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1232159132 (It's -20 here right now so even in the house, it's nicer to wear hats and be under blankets).

I feel like shedding a tear.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#126 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 AM

You should get a 6. That way even if you could've gotten away with a 5 you can wash and dry it without worrying about shrinkage. But, a 5 would probably be fine if you plan to baby it too. I'm 5'3 and an 8 right now and a 5 works for all carrier for me. However, if you want a 4, my favorite front carry only requires a 4 and I can help you.
#127 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Changed and others - do you have any feelings on Girasol? I found the Big Sur pattern online and love it - and it is a lot more affordable new than a Didy. Have you tried it before? How does it compare? And what about the Ellaroo woven wrap. I want something that is not overly stretchy.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#128 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 12:44 AM

All this wrap talk makes me wonder what I'm missing out on. I was so happy once I found the mei tai and I love the simplicity of my two pouches, that I haven't even considered buying (and definitely not making) a wrap. Hmmmm... I do have a birthday coming up though.

AAM: I just freezer dived for dinner tonight and came up with a homemade frozen lasagna. It's always such a suprise to see what I put in the thing once it's all cooked up. This one had spicy sausage, zucchini, spinach and all the other "usual" lasagna ingredients:

When I woke up this morning, I realized I had a fever. The next thing I noticed was a horrible pain in my left flank. I made an appt with my DO for this afternoon and I have a kidney infection F'n A with a side of damnit sauce! So I'm on abx. I'm keeping my : that thrush doesn't rear its ugly head.

I go back to work in T minus 60 hours So very sad

Have a good weekend lovely ladies!
#129 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
You should get a 6. That way even if you could've gotten away with a 5 you can wash and dry it without worrying about shrinkage. But, a 5 would probably be fine if you plan to baby it too. I'm 5'3 and an 8 right now and a 5 works for all carrier for me. However, if you want a 4, my favorite front carry only requires a 4 and I can help you.
Thanks lady!
I am gonna try to put my feelers out for a 6 that I like.
Can you help me with carries in a 6?

Sarah: Love the pix. L.O. is a sweetie pie.

Jenn: so sorry to hear you have a kidney infection. I had one once that had me in the ER with shivers and throwing up.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#130 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM

JennSorry about the kidney infection. That bites. Be sure you rest and keep drinking those fluids. I hear ya on work, too...I'll be right there with you on Monday.

AAMWe're taking the kidlets to the museum today. Should be fun. I'm gonna try the beco out for the first time.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#131 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Speaking of wraps, I just bought a Tropic Medley. I REALLY wanted the Malibu, but it's discontinued I hope it gets here soon!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#132 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
I know what you mean, but the space is really right in the main part of the hospital and a very large range of people come (upwards of 50 Moms). One day that I wasn't there my friend said she left b/c a lady and her baby were coughing like crazy and said they'd "had this bug since we got back from China" and didn't seem to think that maybe the other moms/babies didn't want to be exposed to it! So that kind of freaked me out. Our area has a pretty high rate of pertussis, it's pertussis season, and she's still under 6 months. I just decided that I didn't want to go to this big hospital group b/c too many variables were out of my control there. If there was something smaller, and not at the hospital, I'd go.
yeh that actually doesnt sound like fun. we go to several homeschool get togethers and there are usually 20 plus kids there but 50 moms sounds really really large..and main part of hospital would not be cool w me either. i do hope u are able to get out soon.

along those lines, its sooo cold here..24 BELOW ZERO the other day. makes getting out with teh 2 little ones really really hard!
#133 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
I know what you mean, but the space is really right in the main part of the hospital and a very large range of people come (upwards of 50 Moms). One day that I wasn't there my friend said she left b/c a lady and her baby were coughing like crazy and said they'd "had this bug since we got back from China" and didn't seem to think that maybe the other moms/babies didn't want to be exposed to it! So that kind of freaked me out. Our area has a pretty high rate of pertussis, it's pertussis season, and she's still under 6 months. I just decided that I didn't want to go to this big hospital group b/c too many variables were out of my control there. If there was something smaller, and not at the hospital, I'd go.
yeh that actually doesnt sound like fun. we go to several homeschool get togethers and there are usually 20 plus kids there but 50 moms sounds really really large..and main part of hospital would not be cool w me either. i do hope u are able to get out soon.

along those lines, its sooo cold here..24 BELOW ZERO the other day. makes getting out with teh 2 little ones really really hard!
#134 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Rae, is the Didy of yours I tried on at LLL a size 6? I want a woven now. It'll be great now that she's getting too heavy to carry in a jersey knit and awesome for summer!
#135 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Yes Tara my Lisa Didy is a size 6/4.6m .... check out TBW FSOT... some great deals floating around on there .

*modeling Lisa in a ruck with tibetan tie*
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1177628627

#136 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 PM

^Thanks! Too cute pic! I cannot believe the Oct babies are getting old/big enough to be in a hike-type hold! WOW. Ally still really likes the hug hold and Joey hold so we'll stay with that for a bit. I'll def go check TBW for some deals...I want a RS too.

So, your personal opinions on a woven wrap....

Didy?
Bali Baby Breeze?
Rebozo?
#137 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 09:00 PM

I love that pic Rae! I'm SERIOUSLY considering a wrap. I'll still have to wait awhile since we don't have any $$$ and we've got to pay off the small debt accrued during my maternity leave before I start purchasing "frivolous" things.

Hazel hasn't been in a back or hip carry yet, but I've been facing her forward in my pouches recently. She loves it. I'll venture into the back carry probably in another month or so. We'll see.
#138 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Rae, you are bad woman bad! You got me to head over to TBW and I possibly am buying a Didy.
ps- are those the names of the styles or do you name your wraps yourself?

#139 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 PM

lol I wasn't trying to cause trouble .. just spreading the wrapping love :P. Besides Tara taught me to wrap hahaha!!!!

Tara I absolutely LOVE my Didymos wrap, I hear the BBB is very light weight and some people like um some people don't (haven't tried it). I'm just now getting interested in Rebozo's (short wraps), they are great for hip and back carries supposed to be fast/easy similar to a pouch or such with how quick you can put it on. The green waves Didymos that I should receive next week (off FSOT of course) is a short wrap, though longer then a 'true' rebozo I'm told.

Here's my original 'help me move from stretchy wraps to woven' thread on TBW: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...d.php?t=304898
I'll quote one of the best responses.. which is why I have my Lisa Didymos (stripe)!
Quote:
I would consider Storch, Girasol, BB Slen or Didy stripes as basic wraps that aren't too expensive, easy to care for, and will be comfy for a long while.
Haha Jenn.. ya know you want one too ....

OrchideZ Have fun with your didy .. the names btw are given to the wraps by Didymos, which indicate color and weave pattern. Though some that have been dyed by people get 're-named' lol. My DH laughed at me when I told him the names of my wraps originally.. he thought 'I' had named them and found it hilarious... after he chilled a bit I explained to him the real deal lol.

#140 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Oh and Tara,
The back carry/rucksack carry that I had Samuel in can be done from birth (just froggy legs inside the wrap instead of out). So it's not really a 'big boy' carry . Back wrapping gives you freedom to do a lot more things then when baby is in the front/in the way. Samuel usually falls asleep fairly quick on my back (not always) whereas it can take a while longer on my front since he can play/interact with me more lol.

#141 of 141 Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 PM

^It would be nice to be able to do laundry while BW'ing. That's one thing I have a really hard time with. Ally does NOT tolerate leaning over the washer to change the load. It's hard anyway because she's in the way of course. And, my washer and dryer are backwards....my dryer is on the left and washer on the right and my dryer door opens toward the washer so it's in the way too. Maybe this is why I don't do laundry more often?!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page