Weekly Chat January 10-16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 141 Old 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good Saturday, Mamas! How are we all doing today?
#2 of 141 Old 01-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Thanks for starting a new thread!

I'm doing awesome. My oldest dd is at Nana and Papa's for the night. They took her to Chuck E Cheese's for the morning and lunch : I'll get her back tomorrow morning just in time to go to her little friend's 3rd birthday party.

Hazel and I cleaned the playroom, dd1's room, and upstairs bathroom. I also cleaned the downstairs bathroom and kitchen while she's been sleeping

Blah about cleaning. Sorry.

We're having my sis and BIL over for a yummy portabella Wellington dinner tonight and then we'll play cards. Should be lotsa fun.
#3 of 141 Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 PM

Gosh, is it really the 10th already?? I was still posting in the other thread. Thanks for keeping us on track, Kelli!

Have fun tonight, Jenn! Mmmm...mushrooms!:

I'm getting in a little work on Iris's scrapbook while dd1 is happily "crafting" with mama. Some friends are coming over to make dinner with us in a bit so it should be a nice night.

Today I took my 2 olders to get their hair cut. They look soooo different! My 7 y/o looks as though he grew by 2 years. While we were out I took the baby-less (I was home with dh) opportunity to head over to a brick and mortar that sells the Aden & Anais blankets and I bought some...omg, they're great! I was going to make some but the muslin I found is nowhere near as soft as the A&A blankets. I can't wait to wrap I up in the tonight!

Okay, friends are here. Gotta run. Have a great night!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#4 of 141 Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Hi ladies!

Question about swaddling - I've been paying attention (shocker! ) and have noticed that Addie IS waking herself up in between sleep cycles with her movement. Yesterday I just tried holding her really tight for her nap (yeah, didn't get anything done, but baby slept!) and she slept for 1.5 hrs. Every time she'd stir I'd just hold her so she couldn't wave her arms/legs around and she'd go back to sleep. So I'm thinking the swaddling trick would work? We've never swaddled her before though b/c she hates having her arms/legs restrained. You obviously all swaddle before they're asleep? Anyway to swaddle once they are asleep without waking her up? Any ideas?

Jenn - cleaning around here is big news!! Go you!!

Ashley - Aww, have fun with your friends! I really am feeling social, wonder if anyone can hang out this weekend...

AAM: Had to go into school this morning and use a computer lab and amazingly Addie fell asleep in the carseat on the way home sucking on the paci (Dh was driving) and stayed asleep after I took her out... she slept for about 2.5 hrs!!! That's the longest she's slept during the day in AGES! I've given up trying to get anything done and am just holding her in hopes that she'll actually sleep b/c I'm tired of a grumpy baby.

She laughed for the first time today too! It was so sweet! Dh wasn't there and of course she hasn't done it again, but I swear, that was the most amazing sound I've ever heard. :

Dh has to study... so I've got to get off the computer and take Addie again. Gosh I love the weekends when we get to share parenting!!!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! And Carrie, hope you're getting your snuggle fix with Nora!!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#5 of 141 Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM

I swaddle and then nurse immediately. He doesn't mind anything when he's got boob. Then I burp him and he's a goner.
#6 of 141 Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Em: I think you have to swaddle them before they fall asleep otherwise you would wake them up it seems.
Jasper fusses up a storm when he is being swaddled but within minutes, he is all calm. You should watch the dvd/read the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block". Its all about swaddling and how it works.

I caved and bought some Goodmamas organic bamboo velour fitted dipes today. They are pricey but I never see these in stock and their current New Years sale is buy two and get one free.
They are one size as well so should last.
I can't wait to get them. They are so cute. I also got some hemp/fleece doublers and am hoping this will help with pulling moisture away from Jasper. He hates being wet and this means a change an hour.
We finally put him in his Swedish wooden bouncer- its called a Svan- and I wish we had used this before now!
Its so cool and can be reclined back which I didn't realize before. I put him down in there and he slept for 2 hours this afternoon. Its very streamlined too and folds down.
Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

Carrie: How is Nora's bum doing?

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#7 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 AM

OK...I am so confused and have no idea where to post to our weekly chit chat anymore so I will continue to post here until I figure it out.

DH and I threw a Post Holiday party this week-end and it was a blast. We invited people over starting at 4 pm because most of our friends have young kids with bedtimes so we offered Chili and Soup for supper...FORTY people ended coming over for supper and I still had a ton of leftovers. It was so much fun and there were so many babies here! There were four of us that were all pregnant at the same time and our babies were born within two weeks of one another and it was so much fun that all of them could meet each other. I think we are planning on doing a weekly playgroup at my house and have coffee and lunch together as well. I am so looking forward to this...

oops...got to run...the first monkey is up and ready to start the day!
#8 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
Carrie: How is Nora's bum doing?
All healed, it looks like! Not even the slightest bit red. She's back with MIL today, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully it's nothing she's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionbelt View Post
OK...I am so confused and have no idea where to post to our weekly chit chat anymore so I will continue to post here until I figure it out.

DH and I threw a Post Holiday party this week-end and it was a blast. We invited people over starting at 4 pm because most of our friends have young kids with bedtimes so we offered Chili and Soup for supper...FORTY people ended coming over for supper and I still had a ton of leftovers. It was so much fun and there were so many babies here! There were four of us that were all pregnant at the same time and our babies were born within two weeks of one another and it was so much fun that all of them could meet each other. I think we are planning on doing a weekly playgroup at my house and have coffee and lunch together as well. I am so looking forward to this...

oops...got to run...the first monkey is up and ready to start the day!
I think that we'll post here until the forum closes, right? That's what I'm going to do anyway. LOL!

That party sounds like it was much fun! I wish I knew people who had babies around the same age!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

nak

jenn- I'd be shouting that kind of cleaning accomplishment from the rooftops, as it has to happen @ my house this week.

ashley-- aren't those transformations amazing & unexpected, as that older child was in there all along.

em- glad to hear Addie slept well. sorry she's been grumpy.

viv- yeah for deals!

orion- sounds like a great party & I'm jealous of your play group.

aam: I refuse to believe this new whiney-butt is actually mine, so am holding out for this to be wonder week part 3. we went on a family walk yesterday w/ another family. 2 miles & he slept great. But, the day was so springlike I'd dressed him too warmly. We got to a restaurant , I fed him while we waited to be seated, and then upon arriving @ the table, he started to cry. Outside, back in time for salad, my girlfriend held & bounced him, outside, back in time for entree, dh outside while he cries, I scarf food, back outside, he falls asleep in moby (which had been too hot) & I walk back in as all are leaving rest. fun! The couple we were w/ have 2 of own & are adopting in March. Perhaps he was just reminding them of their future?

he slept in car, but crying resumed when we got home. This was the inconsolable I'm in pain crying. He had some loud gas @ times, but I can't think of likely culprits, unless the lactic acid from my stroll. All together he cried w/o consoling (despite being in arms entire time if not worn or on a chest) for 3 1/2 hrs. He has a rough white spot on his back gum in the molar area. Could it be?

I was reading in Dr. Sears' Baby Book last night and he said that the third month brings a happier baby. It'd better be the case, as I'm getting awfully grumpy, and DH is too.

Time to get my crew ready for school/work. Geesh, even the cats are cranky today.
#10 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
I was reading in Dr. Sears' Baby Book last night and he said that the third month brings a happier baby
I totally think this is true. The past 2 nights we've actually slept (was starting to forget what that was all about, ha!) and Iris wakes up so happy! It is so sweet...she's all smiles and coos while we lounge around for a half an hour or so. Last night she slept for a good 7 hours straight next to me w/o being latched on...I even enjoyed sleeping on my belly!

Hang in there, mama...B is right around the corner from being a much happier little man.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#11 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
he slept in car, but crying resumed when we got home. This was the inconsolable I'm in pain crying. He had some loud gas @ times, but I can't think of likely culprits, unless the lactic acid from my stroll. All together he cried w/o consoling (despite being in arms entire time if not worn or on a chest) for 3 1/2 hrs. He has a rough white spot on his back gum in the molar area. Could it be?
Hang in there! Nora gets fussy like that some days too. It's SUCH a pain, especially since I can't figure out what on earth could be wrong. All the symptoms, even the gas, can be explained away by teething. Nothing has to be cutting through, but if anything is stirring in those little gums it's enough to cause them to act this way.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Hello All-
I'm new to mothering.com and am not sure I'm suppose to join this forum before I post. So I hope I'm not disrupting protocol.

But, I gave birth to our DD in October and would love to hear what other mama's are up to with their LOs of the same age.

On the topic of swaddling - we swaddle our LO. We wait until she is asleep and then swaddle her - it doesn't wake her up. If we try to swaddle her before she is asleep then she gets upset. But, the swaddling keeps her from waking herself up. I just recently read that you aren't suppose to swaddle for too long (like overnight) because it can interfere with hip joint growth. So we rigged up a swaddle system that just keeps her arms down and her legs free.

Anyway - nice to meet you all!
#13 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM

welcome peacemamma! Hmmm, I swaddle Davin all night and many times during his naps too. He doesn't sleep well if I don't. I will have to look into that hip development thing and maybe think of a new system to keep his arms down.

Audsma, Sorry to hear about your little fussy one. I think that Davin goes through a cycle of a few difficult days and then a few good days rather than wonder weeks. Lately he is just refusing to take naps without a whole lot of fussing everytime we try to put him to sleep. DH and I commiserated that we now understand why someone would be motivated to drop their baby in a dumpster sometimes..... From the last thread, thanks for the mirror in the carseat suggestion, I think I will try it, but he screams even when I am sitting next to him trying to play with him, talk, sing, etc. especially if he is a little tired. ugh.

Nevermindyouthere, from the last thread, I wanted to say that I hope you get some answers from your ED. We are gluten free and used to be dairy free, but it didn't seem like dairy was really affecting him. But I am also on an anti candida diet because I have had thrush continuously since Davin was born. I am afraid to limit carbs too much though because I don't want anything to interfere with my supply, but I am not eating any sweetners, grapefruit and green apples as my only fruits, and no white carbs, etc and trying to get lots of probiotic foods. I am also on Diflucan long term it looks like. I have had a problem with Candida ever since I got blasted twice with triple IV antibiotic therapy for an supposed infection a couple of years ago.

AAM, my baby was so fussy and would not nap this morning so I strapped him on in the Moby and did 20 minutes of step type aerobics and he's been out for an hour and a half now. Yay for a break! I am excited to go to the health food coop store today. Yay for simple joys.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#14 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemamma View Post
I just recently read that you aren't suppose to swaddle for too long (like overnight) because it can interfere with hip joint growth. So we rigged up a swaddle system that just keeps her arms down and her legs free.

Anyway - nice to meet you all!

Do you have a link? I've been swaddling all night since birth!
#15 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM

dont have a lot of time...nak too.

Just did a quick browse, can't reply like I want to...G man has turned into Crab Master Flash since Friday...UGH! I dont know what happened to my boy who used to nap but G is NOT napping except for maybe 20-30 min. in arms. The swing doesn't even work any more. He'll do a sling for a while but that doesn't last long either. At least I still get a good stretch at night but the not napping during the day really sucks!

Oh and I thought AF was on her way (first one since having G)....I had some really light pink spotting on Saturday, brownish on Sunday morning and that was it. I'm still keeping watch, so maybe that was a sign she'll arrive in the next day or so. No cramping so I don't know what up.

OH yeah, G is 17 lbs and 25 1/2 inches.... he'll be 3 months tomorrow.

Welcome peacemamma!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#16 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionbelt View Post
DH and I threw a Post Holiday party this week-end and it was a blast. I think we are planning on doing a weekly playgroup at my house and have coffee and lunch together as well. I am so looking forward to this...
What fun!! I'm jealous about your play group plans, I'd LOVE more Momma's around here to interact with.

Quote:
aam: I refuse to believe this new whiney-butt is actually mine, so am holding out for this to be wonder week part 3.

I was reading in Dr. Sears' Baby Book last night and he said that the third month brings a happier baby. It'd better be the case, as I'm getting awfully grumpy, and DH is too.
I could have written this! I just keep saying, "I refuse to think this is her new personality, stuff is just happening with her... a lot of stuff... and she'll be back to her happy, sleeping self soon! I know that around the 3 month mark stuff is expected, so I'm trying to be optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemamma View Post
On the topic of swaddling - we swaddle our LO. We wait until she is asleep and then swaddle her - it doesn't wake her up. If we try to swaddle her before she is asleep then she gets upset.
Welcome!! I'm going to try swaddling her once she's asleep this afternoon. I'm desperate for some good napping at this point!!

AAM: I am so. freaking. tired. Addie was up every 1.5-2 hrs again last night to eat... after spending about 2 hrs comfort nursing to get her to fall asleep in the first place. She also had a lot of painful gas last night and some foamy poo this morning.. wonder if I ate something weird? But the up all the time thing wasn't new last night, just the waking screaming in pain. This had better be a growth spurt type thing or I'll go crazy. I thought newborn sleep was supposed to be awful and it got better around now.. I'd take her newborn sleeping pattern any day over this!!! At least she napped yesterday. Again, I didn't get anything done b/c I was valuing her sleep over productivity and just sat there with her in my lap.

Nothing much going on in life right now... my sister and BIL are coming to visit this weekend then 2 weeks from that my parents are coming. I've got a TON of schoolwork I should be doing (but of course I'm on MDC) and my house is a mess.

Oh! Can the little baby girl whose birth I attended get some healing thoughts/prayers? Her Mom was on methadone apparently for a cyst in her brain (didn't know this before the birth) and the little baby is having to go through withdrawls and it's been pretty scary. They are thinking of putting her on morphine and slowly decreasing the dose if she doesn't get drastically better soon. I know she and her family could use all the loving thoughts you could spare.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#17 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I read the swaddling info in Dr Sears' The Baby Book P. 92 if you have the book.
Here's what it says:
"Shorten Swaddling Time: Once upon a time, wrapping babies burrito-style in a blanket was advised to help them settle easier. New insights, however, have shown that swaddling babies too often and for too long may harm their hip development. In order for the ball-and-socket structures of the hip joint to develop properly, babies need to have freely swinging motion of their legs and lie or sleep with their legs outward in a frog position. Leaving their legs unbound is especially crucial in the first few months, when the hip joint is rapidly developing. Swaddling your baby for a few hours every few days won't harm her hip development, but avoid letting her sleep swaddled for long periods of time, such as through the night."

So this kind of freaked me out when I read it because I had been swaddling our LO ALOT. But, I think it's okay. Now I just arrange the swaddle so that her arms are swaddled, but her legs are free. If I don't swaddle her arms, she won't sleep for more than about 30 mins at a time.
#18 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 PM

I have heard that too (aside from the Sears book) re. not swaddling all night.
I think maybe he talks about that in The Happiest Baby on the Block? And I think my Miracle Blanket says something to that effect on the instructions.
And yes, it has to do with their hip joint development.

I am having a happy day. I had my OB visit to check my wound at now 12 weeks post. It is considered as healed: and no more dressings or bandages. This means I can go back to exercise, take baths and have teh sexay time!
I was so happy I almost started crying.
I immediately came home and went online to buy a yoga pass for Mommy & Me yoga/pilates classes for Jasper & I starting tomorrow. *whew*
Gonna take a rest now but wanted to give a hug to Audsma for the dinner fiasco. So sorry you never got to sit and enjoy with your pals. I am sure like everyone else said, sunny days are ahead for you.
We finally went for dinner- sushi my fave- on Saturday night to a great place downtown. I was so nervous he would carry on but he didn't. He slept like a lamb through the meal and all the way home.

eta: sending loving healing prayers for the little girl you mentioned Em.:

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#19 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
I swaddle and then nurse immediately. He doesn't mind anything when he's got boob.
:

Ally fusses while I wrap her but only because she's so tired when I do it. We then nurse side-lying and she passes out within just a minute or 2.

Our Bradley reunion was Saturday night. We hosted it and had all 6 couples here plus babies and our instructor. We had a great time and got to share our birth stories which was fun! I am so blessed that I had such a great birth experience that I love to relive it and share that joy.

So, I'm thinking I'd like to start CD'ing. One of the mama's that was over on Sat night uses BG's and they really look SOOO easy! I was shocked. How did I not take the time to really research this before now? I'm ashamed of myself as a naturally-minded mama. *tisk tisk* on me. Any advice? I'm thinking pockets look the best for me as they resemble sposies and clean up isn't much more complicated than sposies. I need a crash course in CD'ing. I've visted that forum but didn't really find the specifics I need. Are one-size's really one-size fits all? Ally's only 11lbs so she could wear the small size for quite a while I think. But, convincing DH to let me buy CD's now and then again when she's bigger could be difficult even though the long term savings is substancial with CD's. HELP experienced mamas!!!
#20 of 141 Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
I need a crash course in CD'ing. I've visted that forum but didn't really find the specifics I need. Are one-size's really one-size fits all? Ally's only 11lbs so she could wear the small size for quite a while I think. But, convincing DH to let me buy CD's now and then again when she's bigger could be difficult even though the long term savings is substancial with CD's. HELP experienced mamas!!!
Once you've been CD-ing for a couple of weeks, you'll feel like an old pro. We started out using prefolds and thirsties covers. That was good, but L.O. wet through those too quickly. One good thing about starting cloth diapering now with Ally is you will have missed the crazy first month of 16 diaper changes a day

What we use now is Motherease One Size and wool diaper covers. The wool is very absorbant, extremely low maintenance and very breathable. While I liked the Thirsties covers, I think they didn't breathe well enough. When we go on long car trips, I keep a couple of Motherease Air Flow covers handy. I do love woolies, though, and use them almost exclusively. They are sort of spendy, but you don't need that many - four or five - enough to comfortably rotate while you are airing one out after a diaper change...

I love love LOVE Motherease one size diapers.
https://usshop.motherease.com/shopdi...Special+Offers
We started with the 12 pack and then later on, bought six more.

We also have about 5 Kissaluvs Fitted - they are good too...
http://www.thanksmama.com/Kissaluvs_..._p/kis-001.htm

Our covers
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/disana.htm
http://swaddlebees.com/products/diap...2bfd9d8f22c7a9

I tried Bum Genius 3.0 and have to say I DID NOT like them. The microfiber inserts were a PITA to stuff in the diaper after taking them from the dryer. They also gave me the willies to hold them - kind of like styrofoam or nails on a chalkboard for some people. I also do not like the velcro aspect - the scratchiness on the skin. That's why we have the snap wool covers or the pull on covers. Plus if you have animals, the velcro gets all gummed up with pet hair. Yuck. I've also heard that children can develop allergic reactions to the fabric they use in the diaper. I sold the twelve I had and bought more cotton Motherease.

We have two organic hemp Little Beetle diapers that we use at night because they have a neat doubler system built in. Because I wash diapers once every 1.5-2 days, this is enough to last us.

I think you should TOTALLY CD. You'll be great at it. Tell your DH that disposable diapering costs $3K overall. While CDing takes an initial investment, it is better for baby (especially girls - you really don't want all those chemical absorbents near their delicate private parts), the environment and your wallet (even with all the washing). Craigslist is your best friend for experimenting with cloth diapers.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#21 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
:

Ally fusses while I wrap her but only because she's so tired when I do it. We then nurse side-lying and she passes out within just a minute or 2.

Our Bradley reunion was Saturday night. We hosted it and had all 6 couples here plus babies and our instructor. We had a great time and got to share our birth stories which was fun! I am so blessed that I had such a great birth experience that I love to relive it and share that joy.

So, I'm thinking I'd like to start CD'ing. One of the mama's that was over on Sat night uses BG's and they really look SOOO easy! I was shocked. How did I not take the time to really research this before now? I'm ashamed of myself as a naturally-minded mama. *tisk tisk* on me. Any advice? I'm thinking pockets look the best for me as they resemble sposies and clean up isn't much more complicated than sposies. I need a crash course in CD'ing. I've visted that forum but didn't really find the specifics I need. Are one-size's really one-size fits all? Ally's only 11lbs so she could wear the small size for quite a while I think. But, convincing DH to let me buy CD's now and then again when she's bigger could be difficult even though the long term savings is substancial with CD's. HELP experienced mamas!!!
B wears the mediums. I'd say go with mediums or the pocket one size diapers. We don't love the pockets so we use the sized all in one bg!
#22 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 AM

I will say- thought I don't have to stuff because we use AIO's, they're kinda a pita to wash and get CLEAN CLEAN because they're sooo dense. They're absorbent as heck though. I have a friend who diapered 3 kids with a motherease starter kit and they still looked good. They're a great investment.
#23 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 01:02 AM

Em- Lost my multiquote for you somehow... : healing vibes for your friend's LO

Quote:
I am having a happy day. I had my OB visit to check my wound at now 12 weeks post. It is considered as healed: and no more dressings or bandages. This means I can go back to exercise, take baths and have teh sexay time!
I was so happy I almost started crying.
: I'm so happy for you. That's awesome. Have fun DTD and going to yoga (not necessarily in that order)

Quote:
I felt the same way at my Bradley reunion with my first Tara. It hopefully didn't come off as gloating, but I really did love my first birth and it was great to share such a positive experience.

: regarding you wanting to cloth diaper Tara. Good for you!!!

My cloth diaper story....

The token lesbian couple in my Bradley class mentioned they were so excited because their cloth diapers had been delivered, meaning it was close to the birth of their daughter. My jaw dropped and I said "You mean people still do that?" They informed me that it was good for the environment and I should try it out. They were doing a service, so I asked for 3 months of it for my shower and I got it.

I bought covers and waited for my dipes to come. I kept the service for 5 months. After paying for it for 2 months, I was like "Why the hell am I paying someone to wash my diapers when I could very well be doing it?" So I went out and bought 2 dozen prefolds. I already had the covers from the service. It was so easy to do!!!

After awhile I got more comfortable and expanded my horizons to fitteds, wool, pockets, and all in ones. My current cloth diaper "stash" is a plethora of different stuff. Hazel just grew out of her Kissaluvs size 0 fitted dipes, but still barely fits into her size small pocket diapers. She will be moving into her "medium" stash that includes 2 size 1 Kissaluv fitteds, the same prefolds I used with Olivia, 6 Bummis Brites or Whisper Wraps covers, 6 hand knit soakers/longies, 12 Happy Heiny pocket diapers, 6 Fuzzy Bunz pockets, and 2 Knickernappies pockets.

The one size diapers are great and Ally would definitely fit in them now at 11 pounds. She'd probably be able to wear them all the way until she potty learns. If they're still in decent condition when she's done you can use them with your next or they have excellent resale value.

Is your head swimming? I'd just go into a shop in your area and figure it out. Does Rae cd? Maybe she could hold your hand...
#24 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 AM

Thank you Jenn for the love on my healing!:
Matt read some books to Jasper while I took a fabulous soak in the tub tonight. I am a serious bubble bath girl so for me to go 3 months w/o a bath is nuts!
I went to Lush the other day to stock up in wishful hoping and it paid off.
I used marziban bubbles with a strawberry/vanilla cream bath bomb and some spicy bath oil and just got my relax on with a face mask and some candles. I feel so much more back to myself now. Just one bath did that for me. I can't wait to go to Mommy and Me yoga tomorrow with Jasper too. That will be the next step.

Tara: I have to express shock that you are not already cd-ing! I thought for sure you would be a CD-er. Believe me, if you can do attachment parenting, using no bottles and no pacifiers, diapers are a walk in the park!

I am similar to Sarah in tastes...wool, wool, wool: for my covers. I love it. Its natural, no synthetic layers and doesn't hold stinky smells and is very easy to care for.
My favorites I have used are:
Loveybums, Little Beetle and Swaddlebees. I am going to be trying LanaCare and Disana shortly in addition to those as Jasper is moving up a size.
For diapers, I like Jenn did, am using a diaper service for prefolds. We got the first 3 months paid for as baby gifts and I think by month 5 or so, I will also start doing it for myself.
I have also used Kissaluvs as back up for the prefolds when we are out and about and those are nice. Plus I had a few LIOs (which is an AIO made by LoveyBums) as well.
I just ordered some yummy Goodmamas organic bamboo velour dipes which are expensive but well rated/one size fit and plan to get some more diapers to alternate with the prefolds.

CDs are not hard at all to work with and the one time we had to use disposables in a pinch, both Matt and I did not like them.
They are crinkly, don't feel nice, aren't breathable and smell weird to me.
The plus of making the investment of CDs is, aside from the environmental factor, is that babies in CDs generally potty train way earlier than babies in disposables. You can tell your DH that plus they are healthier. Jasper has never once had a diaper rash. The money you spend once is all that you will spend. Disposables are an on-going expenditure.
Oh yeah, I use pull-ons and snaps...no velcro. I have heard the things about the velcro not holding up and also some babies wise up to it and when older, undo their own diapers.
I will warn you...CD-ing is addictive and habit-forming!

Gotta catch some zzzz's now with my little man.
ps- thanks for all the FB photo comment luv y'all! I really love sharing and also looking at all of your pictures of your beautiful babies too. FB is helping me to get to know you all better and I love it.:

#25 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Orchid- Congrats on the bubble bath and feeling like yourself again. Which reminds me... I should shower today...

Em- What a shock to have that little baby in such distress after birth. Good vibes coming north for her!

Tara- I like my bumgenius 3.0's very much. They do smell a bit (a bit more at mil's house) but nothing like the smell I notice when ds pees in a sposie. And, after the number of ruined outfits and extra diapers we went through with dd, we've had a single leak with cloth in the past 11 weeks.
I do laundry more, but haven't found it to be a big problem. I have 12 bg and that's it. He's been in them since 1 week old, and as much as I thought I'd put him in them when the newborn poops subsided, it hasn't been a problem. It's so different than sposies and I'm so happy I went with cloth this time. I can't find disposables that fit him to my satisfaction. Since we only use them while traveling, it's not much of a problem.
The one thing I can't figure out is how long these'll last. Bryson is tall (long at this age?), and the dipes are already unsnapped all the way. The velcro still almost meets in the middle, so he has some room there, but I am having doubts about these dipes taking him through potty learning. Still, I think they've already paid for themselves as far as the price of disposables, as I would definitely have used more of those by now. There are some great deals online right now too!
On rashes- B has only had 1 rash in them, and his skin gets much more irritated in 1 afternoon in sposies. Good luck!

AAM: Thanks for the hugs, mamas. I am fully recovered from Sunday's adventures. DS was wonderful yesterday, and only got reallly angry/crying for a couple of minutes at a time instead of hours. Much better.

Yesterday was a brilliant spring like day (too soon, I know, but wow, did it feel good) and we were able to fling open the windows all day and into the evening. I feel so rejuvinated, and my Christmas stuff is all out in the garage finally. It was packed away, but said packaging was an obstacle course for me. Dd will be at daycare today so I can get more done around the house. And, boy do I need to clean! We'll be out of town Friday afternoon and Saturday, and then are hosting my IL's Sunday, as well as my folks' best friends for dinner, and then Monday the IL's will leave. Why every three day weekend needs to be one where they visit I'll never know-- they're retired! I want my 3 day weekends w/ dh to myself, since I never see him when FIL is here, and I'm inundated w/ MIL's incessant chatter. Oh well, at least I get to revel in the inauguration on my own before our next round of company comes Tues. night.

I can't believe it. This weekend DH is cleaning/clearing out the house so we can paint the floors and drywall! We're getting closer to being able to move in! Now I want to make sure I can also get my compost bin built in the garden before we get too much farther, but it feels like it's coming closer to what we want! DH is planning on getting chickens this spring, but I put my foot down that I will not be the one responsible for them, so he knows that he has to take them into consideration a bit more than he does with the cats. I hope my permission for chickens doesn't come back to bite me in the butt!
#26 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM

Tara Re: cding... Just my personal preference, so for you it could definitely be different, but since our girls are basically the same size and weight I thought I'd share... I find one size dipes to be ridiculously bulky on her. I had some left over from ds and I just ended up putting them away - they fit him best in the 15-25 lb range so that's when I'll take them out again. I use a little bit of everything! Elina's newborn stash consisted mostly of prowrap covers and preemie sized prefolds, with around 6 or 7 AIOs for when we were out of the house. (I : AIOs, again, just my preference, they are slimmer and ds's bubble bum used to drive me crazy when trying to dress him with pocket dipes on - but tons of people swear by their pockets!) Now we're into our smalls. I have a bunch of Kissaluvs contours that I use with a cover or with wool longies, and the rest are AIOs, a little bit of everything. So far I'm loving my BG 2.0 AIOs that I just got last week. Anything with aplix makes me happy because right now the dipes with snaps don't end up fitting her right, I either have to make one side too loose or too tight, while with the aplix obiviously I can fit it to her exactly. Completely random thought, but my two fav brands of dipes are my FCB AIOs and my Valor Kids AIOs. By far the trimmest and cutest (for me!) in 2 years of diapering ds and now with Elina.

And, because this dipe is part of the newborn stash and fits up to 12 lbs, so she'll be outgrowing it soon, this is my fav so I had to share pics - One and two Took that the other night because I'm sad that in about a "pound or so" she'll outgrow it for good.... I'm such a dork.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#27 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 12:02 PM

Congrats Orchidez!!!!! That's wonderful news!

See- I think around the half year mark is when it'd be GREAT to have a diaper service for most people. I start solids much later... regardless it'd be nice to not have to deal with diapers after the poo changes. Diaper service definitely has it's place and I'd do it in a heartbeat if one of my closest friends didn't own one of the largest cloth diaper stores in the country. She'd kill me.
#28 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM

I hope I'm not forgetting anything...

Welcome to peacemama!
rchideZ: Congrats on being all healed up!:

Em: : for the little one. Poor child.

audsma: I remember being terrified of going into the hen house to gather eggs when I was a little girl! I wouldn't want to take care of the chickens, either!

mommysaurus: Calla is three months and two days and about the same size as your little guy! 17.4 pounds and around 25 inches. I love it! But gosh she is HEAVY!!! We went for a long walk and she started to feel heavy in the Moby! It was a very long walk though (over an hour). I'm looking into SSCs now...

Speaking of SSCs: I posted about this on the babywearing forum, but any suggestions for a good carrier for a small mom and big baby? I'm hearing Angel Pack is good for small moms, but not sure if it will accommodate a large baby as well.

One mama who is petite with a big baby said she likes her Ten Toes Click.

I'm happy to see all the CD chat here. My mother promised to buy Calla some after she got through the poop all the time stage (which she is sorta still in - she never poops less than 4x a day), but I'm supposed to tell her what I want and I have no idea!!! I feel very overwhelmed by all the different options.

My mom offered to buy the dipes because Bill doesn't really want us to get any. He is less than thrilled about the idea of poopy diapers going into our washing machine (as if something poopy doesn't make its way in there at least a few times a week from diaper blowouts). I can tell him it's cheaper overall, but that doesn't help much to sway his opinion. Also his parents keep telling us how lucky we are that there are sposies nowadays and how terrible it was to use cloth diapers in the 60s for his sister.

As for the environment... well, yesterday I noticed he had put all the recyclables I had been sorting all week into the trash bin when he took everything down to the curb!!! I know he doesn't always do that, so he must have been running late or something... Anyway, I don't think it's his number one priority!

But I've read that CDs make more sense when you're ECing than sposies, too. EC is what we really want to get to, but we're putting a lot of energy into figuring out naps right now. I always can find an excuse it seems to avoid starting ECing.

Well, I don't think I have anything going on around here really. Calla starts her baby yoga on Saturday. Bill and I were going to take turns taking her there, but I'm tempted to let that just be his time with Calla (and my time alone) each week. I definitely want Bill to take her for the first class anyway.
#29 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM

I've got a lot of responses to everyone so bear with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Oh! Can the little baby girl whose birth I attended get some healing thoughts/prayers?
Lots of prayers going out to this little baby. What a hard thing to deal with!

Quote:
That sounds like such a great time! I love sharing my birth story with anyone who would listen. Would you recommend Bradley for the 2nd time around? Hypnobabies didn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah.astrid View Post
We started out using prefolds and thirsties covers. That was good, but L.O. wet through those too quickly.
That was what I started with and I agree that LO wet through them soooo quickly. Honestly, I kinda gave up CD'ing b/c of that reason.

Quote:
I went to Lush the other day to stock up in wishful hoping and it paid off.
I used marziban bubbles with a strawberry/vanilla cream bath bomb and some spicy bath oil and just got my relax on with a face mask and some candles. I feel so much more back to myself now. Just one bath did that for me. I can't wait to go to Mommy and Me yoga tomorrow with Jasper too. That will be the next step.
That bath sounds divine and I'm so happy you FINALLY got to take it! I love the idea of Mommy and Me Yoga - you have to share how it goes! Sounds like so much fun! Plus meeting other mamas has its own appeal, too.

AAM - So...all this CD talk has me really wanting to put Nora back in cloth in the evenings. I have some cloth/hemp Cricketts with doublers that I never even used! They were kind of tight on her and I couldn't fit her pants over them, so I just kinda said, "screw it," and that was that. MIL won't do cloth - she never said she woudn't but since she's watching her and I'm not even committed to CD'ing, and I can't very well make her do it.

Tara - I say get some prefolds and some nice covers, maybe try the Thirsties b/c they're pretty cute, and start from there. Ally is still small, but I'd still get the infant prefolds, not the nb. I think the nb only really fit up to 12 lbs. A snappi is a must if you're going to get the pfs! I wouldn't deal with pins. Plus having 1 or 2 snappi's made it easy to keep track of them.

I tried a BG one size something or other, and maybe I did it wrong (I don't know how I could have) but she wet through it so hardcore that I will never use that stupid thing again. I'm thinking she's just a heavy wetter or something.

Oh - the other thing is if you're washing them yourself, make sure you get a detergent that's compatible with CD's. We used Purex free and clear, the concentrated one. That one worked the BEST and got the funky smell out the best, too.

GL!

#30 of 141 Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM

I'd just ask for diaper service then. That way you're not putting poo in the washer. He may be more apt to help if he's not totally grossed out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page