Sucking thumb/fingers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are excited about the prospect of our babies sucking their thumbs. My mom thinks I'm crazy but when they can do this, they'll be self-soothing and I won't have to be a human pacifier-reinserter!

Both of ours are trying to eat their fists quite a bit but they haven't figured out how to put their thumb or fingers in their mouths.

Is anyone's LO doing this yet? I'm not sure when this behavior is most likely to start (if it starts).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep, my guy is - A LOT. He gets almost all his fingers in there, when I think he would just be happy working on his thumb. Sometimes I try to help him figure it out and get just the thumb in there, but he doesn't get it. It is pretty cute.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#3 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 PM

G man does this too! He's found his thumb a couple of times but mostly it's his fists he sucks on. Only real thumb sucker I had was my #3. He found his thumb at 4 months and sucked on it until 9 months-ish.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#4 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM

Ally's all about shoving her whole fist in her mouth. She actually tucks her thumb inside her fist so she definitely isn't finding that. If she decides she only wants a finger, it's just the first finger and she almost immediately gags herself (and does this over and over again) so she prefers the whole fist. When do they finally learn that when you stick your finger down your throat, you gag? Ha! I guess cause and effect might be a little much to expect an infant to "get". I don't want her to be a thumb sucker because that's something you can't take away (like a paci, if you use those) and I personally don't want to pay for the orthodontic bills. My BFF is currently dealing with this issue. She has a 7 year old who won't give up her thumb and it's affecting her teeth.
#5 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Oh yes, Nora is a fist sucker. She has recently moved on to just her pointer finger and thumb, but drool still ends up everywhere!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 PM

^Ohhhh the drool........
#7 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Thierry has done this since birth but he always ends up making himself throw up But Petri did the same thing lol. My boys are goofy. But it is so funny when he tries to get like his whole fist in his mouth, make me laugh.

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#8 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 PM

I does this a lot, too. She sucks her 2 middle fingers. She's even gotten her whole fist in her mouth!

And yea...the drool!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#9 of 13 Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 AM

Carolyn will suck any part of her hand EXCEPT her thumb. Fist, finger, fingers, anything. I think it's cute. And I agree, I'd like for her to suck her thumb!

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#10 of 13 Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Hale is a fist sucker too. He doesn't want a binky, which is fine by me! He never gags on his own hands, but sometimes gags when he is using me as a human binky and I have a let down. I feel kind of sorry for him, poor baby just wants comfort not food!

Amy, happily married to my Sweetie Pie partners.gif, Grateful for all my Blessings, in love with my rainbow1284.gifbaby.gif

#11 of 13 Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Bryson likes his fists too, but tries to get both into his mouth. When he can't and my finger or thumb is in reach he goes for that too. Too cute. DD was never a thumb sucker, but loves her fingers, just like I used to. She doesn't suck on them, but soothes herself at night with picking her nose and then...Ewww.
#12 of 13 Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 PM

Calli is a huge fist sucker too. She doesn't suck her thumb though. She is so bad at put her fist in her mouth and then extending her fingers into the back of her throat. Then the gagging is on. And yes, the drool!!! Its insane the amount of drool LOL!

Usually when she sucks her fist she will turn her head to whichever side she is sucking her fist from and then put her other hand on the back of her head and rub her fingers back and forth through the little amount of hair she has left back there LOL.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#13 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM

Charlotte is also a fist sucker. I don't use pacifiers so I am happy when they find their fist/thumb. Wyatt sucked his thumb until about 8 months or so and then stopped on his own.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page