October babes and more sleep talk... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now nothing is going well, I don't know if we're in the middle of a growth spurt, teething (there are two white bumps back where her molar would be coming through!!), or what, but it's like she can't get into a deep sleep and wakes herself up anywhere from every 5-10 minutes to 45 minutes, day or night. I'm losing my mind. But, even before this phase started we've been having night sleep issues. She (normally) naps really well during the day, goes down for each nap with a little bouncing/rocking (like maybe 2 minutes worth) and typically stays down for an hour or two. SHe nurses every 2-3 hours during the day (normally - right now it's every hour). But night.. oh nights are different. Bedtime hits and nothing but the boob will work for sleep. She wakes every 2-3 hours, or was, it has built up to waking every flipping hour to nurse which hopefully is just the 3 month growth spurt or something! And on a normal basis, the closer to morning, the more frequently she wakes, sometimes she'll even just stay awake and tossing/turning for an hour or so around 5ish.

We cosleep, we've got a crib sidecarred but it doesn't get much use at night, sometimes at the beginning of the night for an hour or two but since she'll only take boob to sleep at night, it's been pointless to transfer her.

Any thougths, ideas? Anyone else's kiddos act differently at night? Anyone else's babes still waking up that frequently?

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#2 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 PM

I'm sure you're not alone. Have you surfed the nighttime parenting board? Can you sleep with the boob in your babe's mouth? I hope you find answers soon. I would be going insane as well...
#3 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM

We just got over a two week growth spurt. Nursing constantly, not sleeping well, not wanting to be put down at all, not wanting to even nap. Last night she slept for NINE HOURS STRAIGHT! I woke up and had to shake her to be sure she was okay! I think she might be teething as well, I saw two suspicious little lumps on her bottom gum. Not sure what's going on, not sure if she'll continue to sleep like this, but last night was great. She won't fall asleep without nursing, though, and that's frustrating. It usually takes an hour of more of nursing to get her to sleep.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#4 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
Right now nothing is going well, I don't know if we're in the middle of a growth spurt, teething (there are two white bumps back where her molar would be coming through!!), or what, but it's like she can't get into a deep sleep and wakes herself up anywhere from every 5-10 minutes to 45 minutes, day or night. I'm losing my mind. But, even before this phase started we've been having night sleep issues. She (normally) naps really well during the day, goes down for each nap with a little bouncing/rocking (like maybe 2 minutes worth) and typically stays down for an hour or two. SHe nurses every 2-3 hours during the day (normally - right now it's every hour). But night.. oh nights are different. Bedtime hits and nothing but the boob will work for sleep. She wakes every 2-3 hours, or was, it has built up to waking every flipping hour to nurse which hopefully is just the 3 month growth spurt or something! And on a normal basis, the closer to morning, the more frequently she wakes, sometimes she'll even just stay awake and tossing/turning for an hour or so around 5ish.

We cosleep, we've got a crib sidecarred but it doesn't get much use at night, sometimes at the beginning of the night for an hour or two but since she'll only take boob to sleep at night, it's been pointless to transfer her.

Any thougths, ideas? Anyone else's kiddos act differently at night? Anyone else's babes still waking up that frequently?
Um yeah, we have the same baby. Up until a couple of weeks ago, he was doing great a 4 to 5 hour stretch. These days I am lucky if I get a 2 hour stretch. I was able to nurse him to sleep and then move him over a couple of feet so I could get myself comfy but these days he has to sleep plastered against me and when I adjust he wakes and wants to nurse again. He also thrashes around in bed like he can't get comfy...last night he did it at 10:30 for about an hour and he usually does it around 5-7 while I desperately try to sleep intermittantly. I am not sure if it's gas or what. On top of that, when he wakes me up fully I have lots of trouble going back to sleep. Last night I was up from 10:30 till 2 something. I am so tired that I can't think to describe it that well I REALLY hope this is a stage and not just how it is now. He doesn't nap that well either usually unless I am holding him so diff from your babe in that regard. I wish there was an easy solution. DH acutally had the nerve to suggest CIO last night Anyways I am wishing sleep for both of us. Right now I am living on (which doesn't seem to affect the babe either way).

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#5 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM

Right there with you.

Last night we were up at 10:30, 1:00, 3:00, 4:30 and 5:30...he usually wakes up ONCE at about 3:00am and then sleeps until 6:30 or so. He is in a crib in our room, though we tried having him sleep with us two nights ago to see if it would help him and it didn't make a bit of difference. He's up ALL THE TIME wanting to eat....he's not fussy, just hungry.

During the day his naps have been almost non-existent. I have to lay down with him and nurse/sing/rock him and he still flails and fusses and cries a little until he drops off...then the nap only lasts 45 minutes at the most. He looks totally exhausted most of the day.

I'm noticing other things too. We're having trouble nursing during the day. Sometimes he'll eat for 5-10 minutes and then pop on and off, fussing in between...I'm thinking reflux? teeth? ear infection?, but it never happens at night, only during the day. He's not as smiley or chatty and just seems...well...kind of sad. He also startles really easily. I'm thinking all of this is probably happening because he's just so tired.

Don't know what to do, but I totally hear you. If this nursing problem keeps up though I'm going to the doc.
#6 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 PM

Sarah, that sounds like Ainsley. I think not sleeping well was part of her problem, but most was a growth spurt, and possibly teething. She's doing so much better today, after a good night's sleep. I find a baby who sleeps well, well, sleeps well! The more she sleeps, the more she sleeps, and the happier she is while awake. If I'm lucky I'll get another okay week or two of sleep before the next one. This kid seems to have them every couple of weeks, and they last forever!

#7 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 PM

Thanks Megan!

Luca fell asleep at 11am this morning and is STILL out cold. I'm so happy...he was looking totally wrecked.

I also read the "Wonder Weeks" posts...which helped a ton. I'm feeling better about things.

I think my frustration was compounded by the fact that this was the week I decided to go back to work (I work from home via computer, but still).
#8 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 PM

Oh yes, Ainsley is scooting backwards & starting to sit up! I'm sure that added to her restless self these last two weeks. And yes, going back to work while baby is like this must be tough, I can't even imagine!

#9 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
I'm sure you're not alone. Have you surfed the nighttime parenting board? Can you sleep with the boob in your babe's mouth? I hope you find answers soon. I would be going insane as well...
I wish, I can doze off but it hurts my hips so much to lay sideways like that for a long time, I find myself in too much pain halfway through the night to be able to do anything but attempt to massage my hip for some comfort and hope she'll let me roll over eventually. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
I was able to nurse him to sleep and then move him over a couple of feet so I could get myself comfy but these days he has to sleep plastered against me and when I adjust he wakes and wants to nurse again. He also thrashes around in bed like he can't get comfy...last night he did it at 10:30 for about an hour and he usually does it around 5-7 while I desperately try to sleep intermittantly. I am not sure if it's gas or what.
OMG that sounds exactly like what I'm going through with Elina. I used to be able to scoot away and she'd sleep just fine, which was why I sidecarred the crib, thinking she would sleep better with her own space. Now if I so much as wiggle, girlie starts waking up and searching for a boob to go back to sleep with. And the thrashing around is exactly it. Ugh.

Quote:
Right now I am living on (which doesn't seem to affect the babe either way).
Also living on coffee... I've stopped posting on our fitness thread because I can't even think about exercise when I'm this tired all the time! Not when I have an active four year old to handle as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1122 View Post
Right there with you.

I'm noticing other things too. We're having trouble nursing during the day. Sometimes he'll eat for 5-10 minutes and then pop on and off, fussing in between...I'm thinking reflux? teeth? ear infection?, but it never happens at night, only during the day. He's not as smiley or chatty and just seems...well...kind of sad. He also startles really easily. I'm thinking all of this is probably happening because he's just so tired.

Don't know what to do, but I totally hear you. If this nursing problem keeps up though I'm going to the doc.
Same nursing problem during the day, including arching of the back, squirming, fussing... but never at night, which if it was reflux I'd think would be worse since we are laying down?

#10 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM

Just raising my hand.. and saying us too lol.

I'm lucky to get a couple hrs sleep in my own bed (we don't have a 'family bed'), before I end up out on the sofa recliner with babe the rest of the night again. SIGH we too used to have a lonnng stretch in the night then a couple of wakings.. but not right now.

And UGHH about the waking/startling easy thing too.. with two other crazy boys in the house it's nearly impossible for him not to get startled (even though we use white noise machines for all of them) often in the day.

Me. Want. Sleep.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#11 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
I wish, I can doze off but it hurts my hips so much to lay sideways like that for a long time, I find myself in too much pain halfway through the night to be able to do anything but attempt to massage my hip for some comfort and hope she'll let me roll over eventually. :
Ugh I also get that hip pain from being in the same position for hours. At least it feels good to commiserate.

#12 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM

OMG, I could have written ALL your posts!!! So good to see I'm not alone; going slightly crazy over here!!!

She used to be such an awesome sleeper; passed out with little help from me by 9:30, sleep till 3 or 4 am in her co-sleeper, then nurse every 3 hrs after that till she'd get up in the morning. Would nap for 3-4 hrs at a time during the day.

Now.... it's taking hours of sucking to get her to bed. She'll fall asleep nursing in the living room, but as soon as I transfer her to her co-sleeper she'll go from deep, deep, limp armed sleep to awake and wanting to suck again. She'll suck on my finer, pass back out, then within minutes be awake again. She'll suck on the paci for Dh, same thing. Then eventually I just get in bed and she'll comfort nurse for anywhere from 1/2 to 2 hrs before she'll stay alseep... for 2 freaking hours!!! Then she'll nurse anywhere from 1.5-3 hrs all night long. I can't sleep very well curled around her, but she doesn't like me to move away either (not that we have much room to do so!).

Her naps are at the most an hour and inconsistent. She's got red rimmed eyes and is cranky all the time b/c she's so tired. I can't put her down anywhere, but if I move too much or make too much noise she'll wake up. So I'm getting nothing done. She'll have nothing to do with swaddling either.

I'm SO hoping this is a growth spurt, but it's already been going on for 2 weeks (I'm such a grumpy Momma these days!). It got to the point one night were I was so pissed that Dh was actually afraid I'd hurt her and was ready to whisk her away, but while I'm ashamed to say I was a little rough with her I was still with it enough to realize I needed to calm down before I touched her. Sleep deprivation can really get to you.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#13 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM

ME TOO! So glad I'm not the only one, not that I'd wish these difficulties on the rest of you, but am reassured I suppose that it must be to do with their age. Please let it end soon!
#14 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Holy smokes am I glad to hear this from all of you!

Been committed to napping today and we've both been sleeping on and off since 11am to try and do some damage control....all the work I had to do went out the window.

Happy to hear that I'm not the only one whos LO is nursing badly and startling easily...I was starting to think I'd done something really wrong and somehow traumatized the little bugger!
#15 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so sleep deprived that just hearing that I'm not the only one going through this makes me want to cry with relief. Not that I'm happy to hear that everyone else is sleep deprived, just that my daughter isn't personally out to get me.

#16 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 PM

Mine's pretty much the same, but add in an hour of ear piercing shrieks a couple of times a day. I believe he is teething as well, the Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets really seem to help. Other than that, it sucks and we're just trying to get through it.
He won't even nap at all anymore. I can maybe get 45 min naps if I let him nap on me, but off me? Forget it.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#17 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 PM

I'll be sending you all a cosmic acu treatment tonight when I'm up at 11 and 1 and 2:30 and....:

It will be good to know that there are other mamas just like me up with their babes...usually all I have are the sounds of the fishermen going out on their boats to help remind me I'm not the only person awake in the entire world.
#18 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM

It does make it seem more feasible that it's the age knowing that the rest of you are going thru it too. Amazingly, she napped for 2.5 hours this morning and is coming up on an hour of being asleep right now.... :

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#19 of 29 Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 PM

YES to all these sleep issues!!!! Last night was just awful getting her to sleep - she'd be mostly asleep, then start crying again, and she did this for about four hours. On top of that, her nose is stuffy so she can't sleep on flat surfaces or she'll wake herself up trying to clear her nose, which of course I only realized after putting her down when she was finally asleep. : I hate that I've been getting so impatient with her - I know she's not feeling like herself and it makes me so sad, but at the same time I need sleep and time to myself during her daytime naps and I'm not getting these things lately.

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
#20 of 29 Old 01-16-2009, 10:23 AM

SUDDENLY MY LIFE IS EASIER KNOWING I AM NOT ALONE!!!

Thanks...

Add to the list (and please tell me someone else is struggling with this?)
HE WILL NO LONGER TAKE A BOTTLE.
and we have tried everything. 5 types, mom home, mom not home, dad holding him in every position, you name it. He refuses. And if we persist for long enough, he melts down and hysterically cries and it is hard to calm him. I have given up trying because I feel like I am traumatizing him! So this means DH can no longer help me in the night... boo! At least once per week he would just take Miles for the night and I would get 8 hours straight. Sigh. I miss those days.

Miles is a wreck these past few days, and it shows no signs of stopping. We had classic growth spurt symptoms last week, and he ate like a maniac and slept like a maniac, but now he won't sleep, wants to eat in small doses, pops on and off, is fussy and feisty, sucks his paci furiously then spits it out...

I am going to guess this is all teething!!

And I also think (and this is based on nothing but gut!) that the transition from infant to baby is happening... he is aware of so much more, looking around and taking alot in, feeling and expressing emotions more - it's just an intense time. I watch him try to grab something or sit up or accomplish something he can't quite physically master yet, and he gets SO frustrated. He really wants to be a big boy! I imagine this would make me fussy too..

HUGS TO YOU ALL!
#21 of 29 Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
It got to the point one night were I was so pissed that Dh was actually afraid I'd hurt her and was ready to whisk her away, but while I'm ashamed to say I was a little rough with her I was still with it enough to realize I needed to calm down before I touched her. Sleep deprivation can really get to you.
Em... any mom who hasn't been there a time or two is a saint (or has a saint for a baby) in my book. I remember clearly when ds was a week old and there was no sleep and we were struggling to nurse, and he was just always crying, my ex had to take him because I found myself crying and yelling "Why won't you just latch on and EAT?!" That was the night he had his first formula supplement. Now I literally grit my teeth when I get frustrated. Helps me not lose my temper with the baby, but my teeth sure are sore these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1122 View Post
I'll be sending you all a cosmic acu treatment tonight when I'm up at 11 and 1 and 2:30 and....:

It will be good to know that there are other mamas just like me up with their babes...usually all I have are the sounds of the fishermen going out on their boats to help remind me I'm not the only person awake in the entire world.
Kind of poetic, actually.

#22 of 29 Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 PM

I didn't have a chance to read everything so I'm sorry if I am repeating...

Have you tried swaddling again?? Keir is still swaddled and if he is not he sleeps about 15 min...he moves his arms to much and wakes himself. Maybe if you swaddler her she will feel that close feeling you provide and you might be able to move away.

Keir sleeps the first stretch in the crib and then he co sleeps the rest of the night...with swaddling I am able to put him up between dh and my head...without swaddling no way no how.

Good luck mama!! hugs...my second was the worlds worst sleeper so I do understand your pain.
#23 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 04:01 PM

I'm there too - lots of fussing, eating ALL night, drooling and gumming everything. She slides down my nipple with those hard gums - ouch! It's so nice for this first-time-mama to know that I'm not alone! Thanks for this thread

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#24 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 07:24 PM

Hi mamas,

Helena is finally napping on my lap, so i can post.
I relate to a lot of these issues; there does not ever seem to be a perfect solution. We cosleep with an Arms Reach, but lately she wants to be next to me and nurse to sleep. I sleep ok but my hip does get sore!! She also nurses ALL DAY (growth spurt?) and catnaps on me, so I can't do anything around the house.
#25 of 29 Old 01-17-2009, 07:55 PM

I hope that Elina's been doing better. Davin was been better the last 2 nights giving me a few 2 or 3 hour stretches. After 2 weeks of waking every hour, I am very relieved. You know it's been bad when after a 2.5 hour stretch you wake up kinda engorged!

#26 of 29 Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 AM

Jess- I hear you on waking up engorged after an alarmingly short time.

Fairie- My jaws are sooo sore too b/c I do the same thing.

Bryson has been doing this too, so add me to the list of mamas wit babies who are causing sleep deprivation. I'm in a constant haze and find myself doing things like singing to him and then suddenly realizing that I'm on the phone, supposed to be conversing with someone. Or the other day I went to give my dd her drops and she said "But mom, you just gave those to me." Note to self: do not attempt to operate heavy machinery.

On the hip pain issue several of you brought up: I used to experience this too, but when I moved my baby to his head being propped up on my bicep or shoulder it was a lot easier. When I'm able to cuddle Bryson close to me with his head on my shoulder after he sleepily pops off it is more like swaddling and I'm able to be on my back. It helps me sleep for the stretches I do get. HTH
#27 of 29 Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 AM

Thanks FS for the support. It's scary how pissed you can get at this little helpless thing when they wake up AGAIN and you haven't even fallen asleep yourself yet. I was glad I was able to calm down though and realize I was getting close to that line.

Addie has been sleeping about 2-3 hrs stretches now and it feels like so long! She even slept for 3.5 hrs today in the ERGO - my boobs were so full.

At least it seems I've gotten to the point co-sleeping where I feel comfortable turning my back on her. Dh slept on the couch the other night b/c he'd been out drinking with my BIL and I slept SO GOOD. Addie got my side of the bed and I got his. Now I'm wishing we had a king size bed.

#28 of 29 Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Charlotte is a pretty good sleeper, but she has also been waking more frequently to nurse at night. She also is nursing more during the day. I think we are going through a growth spurt here as well.
#29 of 29 Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Now I'm wishing we had a king size bed.
We're only 3 months into the co-sleeping adventure and I think this was the most important baby-related thing we got - a new big bed. :

It's great to be able to post here and know that others are having the same experiences/feelings. Cheers!

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page