Mothering Forum banner

Weekly chat: Jan. 17-23

10K views 139 replies 19 participants last post by  audsma 
#1 ·
Here's to another week with our growing babes!!
:

See less See more
#2 ·
Jenn - Ugh, so sorry for the kidney infection! Take tons of probiotics - you don't want thrush, not at all. Ward it off with all the ammo you can get!

AAM - I hung out last night with an old girlfriend who has a 7 month old - SO cute to see what Nora will be like in just a few months! It was a little sad b/c she told me how her daughter never "took" to bf'ing, and has been on formula basically her whole life. It's so clear to me that she was incredibly misinformed from the get go about bf'ing and when it didn't "work" right away, the hospital gave her daughter bottles of formula. It spiraled from there, and even though she tried an SNS for a little while, since her baby had already gotten used to the bottle and formula, she gave up. By that time her milk was severely diminishing, and she was only pumping an ounce a day total. Just sad.

But I got a ton of loot - stuff her daughter outgrew, a G diaper system (but in size S and I'm not sure Nora will fit it), and a whole mess of gifts she meant to give me at my shower which she wasn't able to attend.

Alright, I'm off to shower while Little N sleeps in her swing and then I get her for 3 whole days! Woo Hoo!

#3 ·
Hello mamas! Happy Saturday!

Jenn: Sorry to hear about your kidney infection. I hope you're all better soon, and that you avoid thrush.

Carrie: That's so sad about your friend's BFing not working out. I know several women with similar stories. I feel so lucky I had a support system(including you all) that helped me get through the tough times in the beginning.

Happy to hear you got a lot of baby loot! Enjoy your weekend with Nora!

AAM:
Today Bill went with Calla for her first Itsy Bitsy Yoga class. Apparently, it was awesome. Calla was the youngest baby AND the biggest baby in the class.

She fell asleep halfway through, but Bill said she really enjoyed it - especially seeing all the other babies.

When I went to meet them after class, I was pleased to recognize a mama I liked a lot from my prenatal yoga classes. She is taking her daughter to the Itsy Bitsy classes, too. Sort of funny to think that our babies used to be in the same yoga studio together months ago as fetuses.

Tonight I'm going to a Girls Night party where a chocolatier is going to be plying her wares. I'm looking forward to it, but I should be pumping now because I have to be there in about an hour.

That reminds me... Calla doesn't seem to like my milk if it's been refrigerated, and definitely not if it's been frozen. It's so rare for me to be away from her that it's not really a big deal, but if she is going to need a bottle I have to pump as late as I possibly can so it can be left at room temp for her. Is this weird? We tried making sure the refrigerated bottles we tried were warmed up well. I've heard of thawed milk having problems, I can't remember right now exactly what it's called, but is that same thing possible with refrigerated milk too?

Well I better get ready for chocolate! Have a nice weekend everyone!

#4 ·
Bummer about the infection Jenn! I must've missed that post. No fun. Definitely increase the probiotics. Thrush, you are NOT welcome!

That's too cute that Bill will go to yoga with Calla! How sweet! What a great Daddy.

Nothing new here. We were at a bridal shower about 2 hours away today. It was fun because Ally Rae got to meet her 2nd cousin (DH's cousin's 5mo old baby boy). It's so cute to see babies interact! I got some super cute pics. I'll have to upload and post one later on.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
That reminds me... Calla doesn't seem to like my milk if it's been refrigerated, and definitely not if it's been frozen. It's so rare for me to be away from her that it's not really a big deal, but if she is going to need a bottle I have to pump as late as I possibly can so it can be left at room temp for her. Is this weird? We tried making sure the refrigerated bottles we tried were warmed up well. I've heard of thawed milk having problems, I can't remember right now exactly what it's called, but is that same thing possible with refrigerated milk too?
I think it has to do with lipase? Freshly expressed milk is good at room temp for 10 hours, so you should be fine if you pump enough for her to eat at once (or even if you have to pump twice, you might be ok).

AAM - We LOVE G diapers.

I also had her back in cloth all morning. I heart the Cricketts I bought, they are the cotton/hemp blend. Very nice -- but a tad bulky. I think they'd be great for overnight when she's not trying to move around too much.

Update on the work front -- I might not quit but make a drastic move to part time. I'm going to bring it up and see if they will allow me to work maybe 3 days a week. If not, then I will quit. But I think if I step down it might be more favorable financially. Wish me luck.

#7 ·
Carrie - You are so fortunate to get some hand-me-downs. That really helps on the budget during the first couple of years when clothes have to be bought every 3-6 months.

I just got Annie a super cute lot of clothes off of ebay for $70. I picked up a couple of cute Hannas for $12 each also. She's set for the summer. If you ladies haven't checked out Naartjie yet you should. I love their clothes.

And be thinking about next winter...pick up the clothes that are on sale right now for next year and stay a season ahead. Then when you get to that season you'll only have a few items to purchase and you can clothe your little ones for cheap with good, new stuff....IMO, it's hard to overbuy for the 12-24 month age because they get so messy they need their clothes changed a couple of times a day.

#8 ·
So true on the hand me downs. We have friends with three girls who are all finished having kids and we've gotten lots of their stuff. Some of it I donated straight away to the hospital because I prefer my kids wear clothes in decent condition, but Olivia had a great used wardrobe. Hazel's had to have a few replacements purchased, but overall everything has been given to us. We feel very fortunate.

When we do buy new clothes we love to go to the Hanna Andersson Outlet in Lake Oswego since we're lucky to have it nearby as it's a Portland Company. The Children's Place also makes some cute stuff and their clothes tend to be reasonably priced. They always seem to have a few racks and tables with $4 and $6 items. I especially like their toddler clothing. Costco is good for cheap clothes as well. Naartjie is also uber cute for the price.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
Carrie - You are so fortunate to get some hand-me-downs. That really helps on the budget during the first couple of years when clothes have to be bought every 3-6 months.

I just got Annie a super cute lot of clothes off of ebay for $70. I picked up a couple of cute Hannas for $12 each also. She's set for the summer. If you ladies haven't checked out Naartjie yet you should. I love their clothes.

And be thinking about next winter...pick up the clothes that are on sale right now for next year and stay a season ahead. Then when you get to that season you'll only have a few items to purchase and you can clothe your little ones for cheap with good, new stuff....IMO, it's hard to overbuy for the 12-24 month age because they get so messy they need their clothes changed a couple of times a day.
good idea on buying winter clearance now for next year! but, ally doesn't wear the size that corresponds to her age so i wouldn't know what to buy. i'm not sure i can anticipate her size that far in advance. will she continue to wear one size smaller than her age or will she catch up or maybe surpass?

#10 ·
I just went to a HA outlet last month...omg, I really had to watch myself! I did make out with some striped playdresses for my girls. I love Naartjie, too. I had some hand-me-downs from my friend's dd that we had for dd1 that we loved. I happen to be a Zutano fanatic myself. I'm loving the super cute new prints and their clothes are so soft and practical. There are some great deals on this site.

Carrie Best of luck with your work situation. I hope it works out for you to get a PT position. I'm going back PT, too.

I'm glad G Dipaers are working for you. We used those with dd1. Do you think you'll put Nora back in cloth more often now? All that CD talk was contagious, huh?

Cat So precious about the baby yoga class! I'll bet Calla and Bill were swooned over while they were there. I love seeing daddies so involved with their babes!

Tara Do upload those pics...can't wait to see Ally Rae and her cousin!

AAM Thanks to OrchideZ I broke down and went to lush. I have managed to stay away from that place since they opened near me. Well, I went there yesterday after our museum trip and omg...let's just say that I'm all set to have a fabulous bath experience!
I'm just waiting for a quiet time when little people don't want to crawl in and share a tub with mama.

I've made the switch to cloth wipes. Its hard to believe that its taken me 5 babes to figure out that cloth wipes are awesome. I was poking around on the diapering board and found some wipe solution recipes to try. I made a yummy lavender/apricot solution and have been burning up my serger making wipes. I think Iris likes them better, too.

#11 ·
Mamanurse - what are the HA outlet prices like compared to the original prices?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
good idea on buying winter clearance now for next year! but, ally doesn't wear the size that corresponds to her age so i wouldn't know what to buy. i'm not sure i can anticipate her size that far in advance. will she continue to wear one size smaller than her age or will she catch up or maybe surpass?

We use cloth diapers so even when my kids are smaller we need them just a bit bigger for room through the torso. It really depends on the brand though. I think Gymboree runs a little big but if I bought 12-18 month for winter I know Annie would beable to fit it at least by December/January.

Personally, for the 6-12, 12-18, 18-24 sizes I think they will fit into those in the corresponding age give or take a month. Once they get to 2t it depends. But like I said with Gymbo, they run a little big...I prefer roomy clothes though and elastic waist, cotton pants so usuaully there isn't trouble with those fitting.

#12 ·
Ashley, I LOVE Lush and got some products for Christmas. It's bringing back my addiction, and I'm trying to stay away from the website. It's so hard! I also love my cloth wipes--Ella gets severe diaper rash when I use disposable dipes OR wipes! I'm so glad I had made the decision to cloth diaper BEFORE she was born!

Carrie, I
: hand-me-downs! My bff has an 11 mo boy, and I get all her stuff. I don't even care that it's blue and green--what does it matter what she sleeps in, ya know?!?!

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by freedak View Post
AshleyCarrie, I
: hand-me-downs! My bff has an 11 mo boy, and I get all her stuff. I don't even care that it's blue and green--what does it matter what she sleeps in, ya know?!?!
I admire mamas who put their girls in boyish stuff...If I was going to have more kids I might do that just to keep the clothes but since Annie is my last baby she is my last chance to ever dress in cutsie girl stuff....when she is 3 she might not let me pick her clothes anymore.

#15 ·
Carrie That's happened to me after each babe. Before I knew it was completely normal and hormone related, it totally freaked me out the first time I brushed out a clump of hair. It usually gets better around 6 months.

#16 ·
all of this talk about baby clothes has me wondering. i am going to a HA outlet next week and my plan is to buy for ds3 (who is 3 now) for hand me downs for ds4. i never pay more than $5 for anything at the outlet and my kids (the younger two) dress in HA prob. 80% of teh time. i find their clothes are very conducive to CD's. other than that, we shop at yard sales in teh summer or thrift store.

#17 ·
Don't have time to read, just checking in. My sister and BIL are here visiting; my sister gave me this AWESOME scrapbook she's been working on in secret of all the pics we've put on our blog since we announced our BFP thru Addie being 12 weeks. It seriously made me cry it's so special. Also got my ERGO and am absolutely LOVING it! So is Addie; I even put her on my back and did the dishes while she slept! I'm supposed to be doing homework while my sis watches Addie... so I better go and do that!
Can't wait to catch up with you all tomorrow though!

#18 ·
Quote:

Mamanurse - what are the HA outlet prices like compared to the original prices?
There's a huge difference. Especially if you buy off the outlet clearance racks. I'm not sure if it's worth an entire trip to Portland, but it's worth stopping by if you have other things to do up here. It's not very far off I-5 by the Mormon temple South of Portland.

Oh! And if you do come up to Portland and don't tell me, I'll be very sad.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Also got my ERGO and am absolutely LOVING it! So is Addie; I even put her on my back and did the dishes while she slept!
I just got an ergo too but I thought it might be too early to put Annie on my back. I guess I'll have to try it. I don't even put her legs out of though either. I keep one foot in and the other leg out so her legs are spread so far apart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
There's a huge difference. Especially if you buy off the outlet clearance racks. I'm not sure if it's worth an entire trip to Portland, but it's worth stopping by if you have other things to do up here. It's not very far off I-5 by the Mormon temple South of Portland.

Oh! And if you do come up to Portland and don't tell me, I'll be very sad.
I'll definitley have to stop by the outlet. Is there always a clearance rack or only at certain times? I'll let you know when we come...DH and I just want to check PDX out since we've never been there. Maybe we can meet at the outlet.

Does PassionateWriter live in PDX also or are you going to a different outlet?

#20 ·
My hair is also falling out in larger than usual amounts. I knew it would happen though so it didn't scare me. My BFF/doula has always had this happen. It's not coming out in large clumps or enough that it's noticable on my head but I'm definitely seeing more than I normally do in the shower when I run conditioner through my hair.

#21 ·
Not much time since DH and I will be leaving on a DATE soon! My parents and sister are coming to watch Eleanor, which they always look forward to. We're going to a nice Japanese restaurant in downtown Minneapolis, and then to see Gran Torino. (An interesting sidenote - the guy who wrote it actually lives in the suburb DH and I live in, and he works at a power company with one of our friends! The friend is going to mention DH's script that just won the big award, and maybe he'll send it to him.
)

We have more good news regarding DH's script too! He's been named as a finalist for the Yale Drama Award, which also has a $10,000 prize, as well as being published and put on at Yale!
:
: There were about 500 applicants from all over the world, and there are 13 finalists. There's only one winner (unlike the Jerome Fellowship, which has 5 winners) so there's much more competition, but we're keeping our fingers crossed and DH is really confident!
: We'll know in March. If he wins we'd all go out there for a reception, which would be fun for me as well since Yale is one of the schools I applied to for my PhD.

I'm having a ton of hair fall out too - I'm just resigned to seeing enormous clumps of it in the drain and again in my comb every time I shower.

Eleanor is calming down a bit from last week, and is more herself again. She's so cheerful and talkative that even when it's super late and she should have been in bed hours ago, it makes everything better when she smiles at me and starts talking. She's also started laughing!
:

#24 ·
Quote:

Does PassionateWriter live in PDX also or are you going to a different outlet?
no i dont live anywhere cool ! lol i am about an hour from Kittery ME outlet.

if you call to outlet they will put you on an emailing list and let you know when they have sales. that what i always do...only shop at the outlet and only when they are having a sale.

#26 ·
Quote:

I'll definitley have to stop by the outlet. Is there always a clearance rack or only at certain times? I'll let you know when we come...DH and I just want to check PDX out since we've never been there. Maybe we can meet at the outlet.
I'm not sure. I've only been there three times and they've always had a wrack with stuff WAY marked down off the outlet prices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabbyowl View Post
Not much time since DH and I will be leaving on a DATE soon! My parents and sister are coming to watch Eleanor, which they always look forward to. We're going to a nice Japanese restaurant in downtown Minneapolis, and then to see Gran Torino. (An interesting sidenote - the guy who wrote it actually lives in the suburb DH and I live in, and he works at a power company with one of our friends! The friend is going to mention DH's script that just won the big award, and maybe he'll send it to him.
) :
Wow! Your dh is doing awesome! I can feel your pride through the letters on the screen
Which Japanese restaurant. We always LOVED Origami in downtown Minneapolis and our fav in St Paul was Saji-Ya (specifically the spicy tuna there)
So darn expensive, though, compared to Portland. Worth it of course when you're celebrating such a special occasion.

ETA: We had a fav hole in the wall Thai place over off of Selby and Snelling, Taste of Thailand. It was SO good, though, and dh and I have yet to find somewhere in Portland equally as tasty

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
Tara.. I agree with you.. very rarely do my kids clothing size and age match. So I don't buy ahead either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
I'm a bad girl......
Somebody ban me from TBW FSOT

I just bought a bara barns 'black pepper' short wrap (2.7) for rebozo carries.
it's really pretty LOL! http://images45.fotki.com/v1310/phot...1000372-vi.jpg
Banned... You naughty woman!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.