Weekly Chit Chat 1/24 - 1/30 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas!
I haven't posted in a while, I forgot about these threads

I only have a minute, but I just read through and was kinda happy (?) to hear other babies are doing the pop on and off thing and not just mine. UGH it's really annoying. For us, it happens when we get any of our allergens, which I keep discovering are hidden in some of the spices we eat :

WHY on earth does paprika and tandoori spices need wheat/gluten! It's getting depressing, seriously.
My poor baby

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM

I was wondering about the next meeting location Rae, thanks!! Take a deep breath....none of us care if your house is a mess. Do what you can and don't worry about the rest....mamas understand. How sucky about Samuel's meds. I hope your 4mo appt goes well and you can get that ironed out so you can continue to have a happier baby.

How exciting Carrie! Crossables are all crossed! :
#33 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 PM

Popping on/off - Yep, Addie's doing it to. And punching me in the boobie! And scratching my chest. : I've taken to firmly holding her free arm down by her side and that usually results in her falling asleep, but sometimes it just makes her body super squirmy and she gets mad. Not sure what the deal is there.

Orion - about your MIL. Why do MILs have to be so nasty? I know some people have good relationships with them, but a lot of us don't. I'm WILLING to have one, but my MIL is just so weird!

Rae - hope you get the medication worked out! How aggravating to find out it's addictive and long term problems after you've been using it for a while!

Carrie - crossing all crossables for you!!

Tara - how sweet Ally laughed!!! Addie's done it exactly 3 times and has never repeated it. Once randomly in the carseat (she usually screams, but just paused in the screaming long enough to laugh...weird), once while Dh was jiggling her, and once while I played with our cat with a laser pen. She thought it was hilarious when I made him run around in circles. But the next time she was like, "Seen that!" Hope she does it again for you so you can record it!!

Jenn - hope the sickies are going away at your house!!

AAM: There is a Mama's email list in my area that I've lurked on forever, but I just came out of the closet. A couple of the Mamas are talking about starting a running group and I said I'd join in. I really hope I don't regret this!

I'm having the darndest time trying to sell our newborn dipes. Nothing off craigslist. Nothing off said email list.

ahh, miss crankipants just woke up.... will try and finish later!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#34 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 07:53 PM

Tara Yeah I 'know' the Mom code and all.... nobody would fry me for a dirty house.. but I also want to do what I can to clean it up.. and ya know hide the rest LOL!

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#35 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 PM

B is soo ticklish he belly laughs a few dozen times a day. It's the BEST!

Anyone found a carrier that is good for wearing down at night? He still needs the swaddling thing but i'm trying to break the habit and using carriers instead. I've got a wrap on the way but the ones I had were too hot for him.
#36 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
B is soo ticklish he belly laughs a few dozen times a day. It's the BEST!

Anyone found a carrier that is good for wearing down at night? He still needs the swaddling thing but i'm trying to break the habit and using carriers instead. I've got a wrap on the way but the ones I had were too hot for him.
Maybe try one of the solarveil ring slings...you could then use it in the shower or pool too.
#37 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Changed.... that's so fun my baby likes me to talk silly to him and sometimes tickle him while we do diaper changes.. and he laughs . Oh how I love and NEED... his laughter! He laughed a couple times a couple weeks back or so. But now we are getting daily laughs.. or even more then once a day. Soooooo nice. Helps even out some of the struggles around here lol!

ETA: Oops I forgot the point of my post LOL. I was going to comment Changed that I too am looking for a good carrier to 'wear' baby down with. I've ordered some short wraps (stillllll haven't arrived yet... ahhhhh!) that I'm hoping I can use for 'quick' carries that might even help with night time. We'll see.

DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#38 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Sort of OT but all the reading about baby giggles reminded me of this:

I was reading about how people who laugh have a higher metabolism and burn more calories.

Keep laughing w/ those babies mamas...you're burning calories.
#39 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 PM

Today is a BIG day: Eleanor rolled over!! : And not front to back, either - she did it back to front! She's been enjoying rolling from side to side on her back with her legs in the air for at least a week now, but she really started putting effort into getting on her belly last night and today. She'd make it far enough that her lower half was belly-down, but her top half was still on her side because her little arm was in the way. Well, this evening she figured out how to move her arm and ended up totally belly-down!!!! I'm kind of surprised because everything I've read has said babies go from front to back first, but she really hasn't even tried that yet.

She's also becoming even more smiley and high-energy - I can't be sitting down with her for longer than a few minutes (unless she's nursing, of course) or she'll start to fuss, and when I start walking with her or put her on the floor to roll around she's perfectly happy. My mom predicts she'll start crawling early and fast, and DH and I both agree with her. It'll be interesting at least.

ETA: I've ordered a set of 15 BumGenius diapers from Ebay, and am super excited for them to arrive! The prefolds I'm currently using are getting very difficult to get on, and only partly because Eleanor likes rolling around when I'm changing her. I told my mom today that I never thought I'd get excited about diapers and wipes. She just laughed.

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
#40 of 110 Old 01-26-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyowl View Post
Today is a BIG day: Eleanor rolled over!! : And not front to back, either - she did it back to front!
Wow! Congrats, Mama! I am so looking forward to the day Nora rolls over! She is so close - but like Eleanor, her little arm is so totally in the way. Soon!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#41 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 AM

B rolled from belly to back today!!!! Congrats! It was so neat but scared him. lol

Rae, I am waiting to hear from a mama about a silk wrap. At this point, I need it and don't care about cost.
#42 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 AM

Yay, mamas, on all the rolling news! Ella rolls from front to back fairly consistently, and I think she's getting close to rolling from back to front. She rolls from side to side, but kinda stops before going all the way. I don't think her arm's in the way though--I think she just has NO interest in being on her belly!

Changed, I like the mei tai for wearing her down. When she's dead asleep, I can just lean over the bed and untie her. There's nothing to cover her face, so I feel like she's safe. Of course, she refuses to sleep unless I'm next to her, so I still have to crawl in bed.

I can't wait for Ella to REALLY laugh. She squeals every once in a while, but nothing that I can really classify as a laugh. She's been smiling since she was just a couple of weeks old, but I'd love to hear a belly laugh!
#43 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 AM

I have been going, going, going!
Just read the whole last few pp. and wanna say its great to read all the milestones of our babies.:
Jasper has been a real laugher for about a month now. I am good at getting him to do it to show people too. He does this really loud giggle and then finishes with this squeak that sounds like a hiccup.
Ally, he laughs in the tub too when I squeeze his sea sponge over his chest. I wil try to do a video. Its just lately I bathe him by myself b/c Matt is still at work.
He is trying to sit up. It looks like a stomach crunch.
He seems to like tummy time more and more especially since we have been doing Mommy & Me Yoga together and is good at lifting his head way up. I have pictures up on FB- two sets- if you wanna see.
No rolling over yet. Congrats Crabby on that!

Kelli: I am glad you posted it was your conception anniversary since we shared a dd and I had no idea! Yay!

Changed: I can't wait to see pix of your silk woven *hoping you get it*...nice! For wearing the baby down, woven wraps are perfect b/c they are so soft, it helps to break them in and baby can just cuddle up in it.

Em: Maybe try selling the dipes on Diaperswappers? Its worth joining and building up posts b/c there are deals to be had on there as well. I just bought a few wool covers, 2 wool soakers and 2 nice diapers for good prices.

Jana: Solarveils can go in water? I did not know that...hmm.... I might need one!

Re. popping off the nipple, Jasper has just been getting more aware of what is going on around him and is easily distracted when eating. If he "pops" off a bunch, I just replace with a paci and wait to feed him again when he really acts serious about wanting to eat and we can start from scratch. So far that has been working for us.

Sarah: How is your wrap treating you? Are you loving it?
I am loving my Earthy Rainbow, still waiting on my Green Tea to arrive from Canada.
I went to a Koala group meeting today (LA baby wearing group) and brought my Girasol and Mei Tai along so I could learn carries.
It was fun, met other mamas, worked on the two carries I wanted to get better at and am loving the woven wraps. I got to touch a Didy for the first time there...ah like buttuh! I want one but b/c they are warm, I will wait until the fall b/c I live in So Cal.
Here are a few snaps of us in the wrap...
http://i42.tinypic.com/dbl00m.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/r9g5dx.jpg

ps- wanted to add in this sweet snap I just took of Matt giving Jasper a bottle. He LOVES when I pump some milk and he comes home and finds out he can feed him. It makes his day. I try to pump every week so that he won't lose his bottle skills and give him 1-2 bottles a week.
It makes me tear up how much he loves his little boy...
http://i41.tinypic.com/35jdvmu.jpg

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#44 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
Kelli, yay for conception day! Too funny that our conception days were one day apart and so were the births of our babes. I, unfortunately, can count on one hand the number of times we've DTD since conception. :
Actually, Tara, I guess I misspoke in my signature: Bryson is 12 days younger, born on the 19th. As far as DTD, same here. At this point in my life, I'm afraid to admit it, but it's okay with me. I have no interest whatsoever. DH is still hot, but I am just in nurture mode, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Popping on/off - Yep, Addie's doing it to. And punching me in the boobie! And scratching my chest. : I've taken to firmly holding her free arm down by her side and that usually results in her falling asleep, but sometimes it just makes her body super squirmy and she gets mad. Not sure what the deal is there.
I think the popping off thing is this age, as it's happening frequently here too. (Reason #398 why I love this DDC, as it's yet another confirmation that my baby and I are not alone in these behaviors.) Nap time just got a lot harder during the day, and I have trouble with nursing and baby wearing since my little guy has such a long torso and mine is soooo short.

NYMT: Glad to see you back. I had been thinking of you and wondering how your ED was going.

AAM: With DD I was ravenous all the time while breastfeeding. Yesterday I decided to eat like I was ravenous and boy, did I! In addition to what I would normally eat, I had a foot long sub (instead of 6 inch) with extra onions and bell peppers--yum!, cookies, a chai latte and an enormous German chocolate brownie (Monday's my treat day b/c of ballet for DD being next to a great little cafe where everything is prepared on site) and then Chinese with a California roll for dinner. Bryson was screaming while I cleaned up the kitchen (likely from the onions) prior to DH arriving home with takeout. At this moment his little belly is the noisiest I've ever heard it, but at least he is still asleep, so it must not be hurting him too much. I still have a little of the brownie left, and if he wouldn't fuss when I put him down to go get it, I'd be eating it right now. Yum!
#45 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
I am loving my Earthy Rainbow, still waiting on my Green Tea to arrive from Canada.
I went to a Koala group meeting today (LA baby wearing group) and brought my Girasol and Mei Tai along so I could learn carries.
It was fun, met other mamas, worked on the two carries I wanted to get better at and am loving the woven wraps. I got to touch a Didy for the first time there...ah like buttuh! I want one but b/c they are warm, I will wait until the fall b/c I live in So Cal.
Here are a few snaps of us in the wrap...
http://i42.tinypic.com/dbl00m.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/r9g5dx.jpg
Viv, only we addicts would post pictures of our wraps with motherly pride!
#46 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM

Squeee!! I love ER on you!

As far as didys go, i've had a stripes (iris) and a cotton indio (mandarin). The indio was waaay softer and thinner but the idea of pulls made me nuts. Still haven't heard back about the silky but I dreamed about it last night.
#47 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 PM

^OOOH Iris Stripes...pretty! The Indios are gorgeous too. However were you able to let them go??
What kind of silk didy are you looking for? Any stipulations? I will keep an eye peeled.
ps- I did see this beauty available on Sweet Pickles as a returned item. Only one of em...gorgeous...you should snap it up!

Amanda: You are right on that...I am getting a serious addiction. My DH doesn't quite get it. He was like "Its just a big piece of fabric" when I was gushing on about getting the Green Tea.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#48 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Ha, my dh just said the same thing about me selling my Moby...he doesn't quite get that I'm selling it so I can get a different wrap.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#49 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM

It was actually really hard but being that they were so hard on his little face.... the indio I've regretted the most. It was uber soft and it was just cotton!
#50 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
ps- I did see this beauty available on Sweet Pickles as a returned item. Only one of em...gorgeous...you should snap it up!
I wish I had an extra $172 laying around to buy this! It's stunning!
#51 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 05:49 PM

Even better, Changed hurry up and go here...silk indio for $150
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...d.php?t=314654

#52 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 06:13 PM

You girls are funny!! I wish I had $ laying around to buy a bunch of different wraps, but I just can't quite justify it when it'd be "just another length of fabric"!

Really needing your positive vibes... Dh is turning in his application for that city job I mentioned a while back. If he doesn't get it... well, he's out of work b/c his current project is ending at the EXACT time this job starts. The universe has a plan, right? Pushing him to get the education needed for this job and then having his current one end the week before this one starts? You listening universe?!? I think we're both doing a really good job of not thinking about the possibility of no income next month.

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#53 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 PM

I GOT IT! No from this thread but this pic made me love it.
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...lk+rhombus+pic
#54 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Oh and I really don't have the $ laying around... I'm just not real bright with a super cranky baby.
#55 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
Oh and I really don't have the $ laying around... I'm just not real bright with a super cranky baby.
ROFL ..... That so totally sounds like me

#56 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM

I'm so sad that I haven't been posting here more...I'll have to try and post in the LWAB thread!

I really need to get the hang of babywearing. He gets super fidgety when I wear him facing me in the moby, and I don't feel confident enough to wear him facing forward. He also seems to get really warm in the moby. We're thinking about getting an Ergo or a Beco to keep him cooler and I will feel more stable with his fidgeting.
#57 of 110 Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 PM

Subbing in our last weekly thread here...

Yay to the rolling over, it's so much fun watching them do all these new things! Elina still gets her arm in the way so she lays in that "almost all the way over" position and chews on her cloth butterflies very happily. She gets so happy with herself when she does things! :

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#58 of 110 Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 AM

Here I am, reading MDC on my laptop instead of my phone, for a change. How novel! I can post something at 85+ wpm instead of fumbling index fingers!

As usual, I've been reading closely, but it's just a major task to post from the phone!

But goodness where to start???

:

Good luck:
Carrie on working PT!

Changed on your quest for the perfect wrap!

Em... it certainly seems like everything should fall into place for your DH to get that job. :

Rae with the meds.

Everyone else who needs a little luck right now!

: For rolling over and laughing! Our babies are getting so big!

Popping off the boob and squirming:
Calla does this sometimes, too. Like Kelli said, it's nice to see others are dealing with the same thing.

OrchideZ: Those wraps are lovely. I enjoyed the pics of Jasper on FB. I wish we had a babywearing group here. I'm hoping to meet some more babywearing mamas at the next LLL meeting. I so want to master hands-free nursing while babywearing.

Kelli: I'm having similar problems with babywearing and nursing due to Calla being such a big baby, while I'm a rather shrimpy mama. She is not getting any lighter either (19 pounds!!!)

AAM: Well, actually Calla is awake all of the sudden, and I'm probably going to need to nurse her back down to sleep again soon, so I'll keep it short!

My life revolves around getting Calla plenty of naptime sleep these days. She's getting really good at her morning nap, but the afternoon nap requires a lot of wrangling. Naps don't really happen unless I am by her side, either way (freedak: Sounds like you know how that goes!). But I feel like we're making gradual progress toward my goal of getting her to nap in her crib eventually. At any rate she is definitely getting lots of daytime sleep, it is just taking a lot of effort right now.

That's why I post so little here and on FB now. I never have a chance to use my laptop! If it weren't for my phone I'd never see the internet at all these days.

Well her highness is ready for a snack. Hope everyone has a nice week. I'll be reading!
#59 of 110 Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is an interesting article about the infant immune system....
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/he...brod.html?_r=3

Also may I just ask - has anyone else ever had their L.O. latch on too low (while you weren't looking) and nurse your actual breast, rather than your nipple? Can I just say how much this HURTS?!?! Lars Oskar has been doing this more lately with the popping on and off. I cannot believe the force with which this little guy sucks. And how is my nipple not even bothered by it anymore in the least during normal nursing. Unbelievable. Do you guys remember when we all complained about how sore our nipples were. I swear, I could scrub the dishes with my nips now and not even blink

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#60 of 110 Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 AM

Yep. Funny how unstretchy the tissue is just cm's away from the areola.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page