The Exercise/Fitness Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 173 Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
I just saw this posted on another due date club, and I was wondering if anyone here knew the answer? I'm really curious about it myself. No one on that ddc seemed to know.

can anyone tell me what mode a pregnant body goes into when excercising? When a body is not pregnant, any excercise will help burn fat, get muscles stronger etc, as long as it's a good intensity of course. But when one gets pregnant what will happen? If doing cardio, will the body still burn fat, thus helping with those problem areas like belly, hips, thighs? Or will the body start holding onto it in case it needs it to help develop the baby and instead just slow down extra fat gain? I'm still doing moderate excercise and speed walking, and would love if that extra back fat would dissappear but don't know if that is a wish that just won't come right now.
Again, I'm no expert on prenatal fitness and I'll post again if I can find another answer but here goes. I don't believe anything changes when you're pg. You need to be sure you're eating an additional 300 cals per day when pg. So, if you were eating 1500 cals before and consistently seeing a change in your body, then just add 300 to that to adjust for the pregnancy. Does that make sense? Exercise burns cals no matter if you're pg or not. It burns cals and burning cals decreases body fat. You must burn more than you consume but be sure to eat enough to support the activity level and the new baby.

We all have a basal metabolic rate (BMR). That number tells us how many cals we need a day to sustain life, based on sex, height, and weight. That means, eating that amt of cals per day will not support any exercise routine or babies. So, add to the BMR an approximation of cals you burn doing your workouts (see website above or get heart rate monitor) and then subtract 500. That is the number of cals per day to eat if you're looking for fat loss. When you're pg, you need to subtract only 200 in order to account for the extra cals needed to grow a baby. I hope this all makes sense. Google basal metabolic rate calculator and you should be able to find an online calculator that will give you that base number. GL!
#62 of 173 Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
How is the pregnancy without pounds thing? What's it all about (other than the obvious)?
It's a website and kit thing I found during my first very short pregnancy. The "kit" includes 3 pdf files, which are like ebooks that talk about the program (diet, exercise, nutrition, and pregnancy info) and the exercises. And 2 excel files to help you keep track of your exercise and weight. There are three exercise routines: Tired Mama, Moderate Mama, and Fit Mama. And you are suppose to only do the routine that fits your energy level that day.

The kit gives you a plan to follow. And keeping track of your weight gain and exercise, I think helps you be mindful of what is going on with your body. I would imagine it is really easy to gain too much weight when you only wear sweats and only are weighed at dr. visits.

Since, I'm overweight for my height, the program recommends I only gain 15-25 lbs during pregnancy. I can only hope!

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#63 of 173 Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM

I walked for about 30-40 minutes today at a rather quick pace. I also did lots of carrying, bending over, picking up, etc of stuff while I helped my mom and sister out at the food bank we run. I say that counts

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#64 of 173 Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Tara, thanks for that answer! I was wondering the same thing. Like, am I only working on cardiovascular fitness, or am I still able to impact the way my body looks too? So thanks!

I went the gym after work! I trudged through the snow and made it there. It's coming down fast, although they're only calling for 2 inches, it feels like a lot since its our first snow of the year. Anyway, I did 20 min on the elliptical and then 10 minutes on the treadmill (walked and ran). All in all I did good!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#65 of 173 Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
My target gain is about 10 pounds. After being pregnant this many times, I know that for me at least, the recommended gain only leaves me with a lot to lose and I can't lose one single pound while breastfeeding. I also have smallish babies. I'm sitting at 138 right now and I'm 5'3 so I have plenty of fat stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
I so wish I could figure out how to only gain about 10lbs. I don't even know if it's possible, but I'd sure love to know how. I'm starting this pregnancy heavier than I'd like, and I also have a very hard time losing any weight while breastfeeding, at least for the first year. I do tend to make big babies though, but I'm a small frame at 5-2. It's like pregnancy and breastfeeding cause my metabolism to go into super slow mode, and 10 or 15lbs overweight feels like a lot on me. I'm already up a pound, and I've been trying to eat so healthy(well I did cheat a couple of times). I'd actually be thrilled if I could keep my weight gain around 15-20lbs instead of the 50 I usually pack on. I'm so thankful for this thread to help keep me motivated!
With my first two babies I went from about 115 to 150. but with my third I was 130 when I conceived, and still made a nice 150. My doctor was so concerned near the end. She sat me down, and explained that I had only gained 16 pounds, and they reccomend 25 to 35. So I was explaining to her, how I was overweight in the begining and my body had used it, because my thighs/butt/arms/etc. were all back to their normal size, and I was just all belly. She looked a bit confused. Anyway I expect to get around the 150 mark again this time. I started at 120 BTW. Luckily breastfeeding does take the pounds off me. Two weeks PP and I'm between 115 and 120.

Exercise. I don't go to the gym. Yoga, Tai Chi and bellydancing. And we hike a LOT. So that's my exercise routine for this pregnancy. Oh, housework, of course. And a toddler. She's my personal trainer.

As far as diet, I'm already an organic vegan, so I'm not a junkie eater really.

I took a bad fall down the stairs yesterday, and am really banged up. So one of my sons made me breakfast today. I was a pb&j, and it disturbingly hit the spot. I foresee many more of those.
#66 of 173 Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 PM

I've been so tired today! I'm going to yoga in about an hour and I'm hoping it will help perk me up. I always feel so good when I come out. What I'd really like to do is go to bed though. Hopefully I won't fall asleep during meditation!

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#67 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Oh God, I'm so tired today. I'm physically TIRED. I got up at about 5am to pee and couldn't go back to sleep. I finally dozed off and on from about 8-9:30 but it wasn't restful. Unfortunately, the sleepiness is hitting on a day when I have to teach 3 classes. I have a weight training class at noon and then a cardio class at 5 followed immediately by a weight training class. I'm hoping I'll be able to sleep this afternoon before the evening classes. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'll make it!
#68 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 02:43 PM

I actually feel suprisingly not tired today, which is a welcomed change after the last 4-5 days! I'm sure it'll just hit later, and by 6 I'll be ready to drop!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#69 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 PM

I walked on my treadmill for 30 mins. I don't know if I will do another 30 mins today or not.

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#70 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info Tara. I confess I've never counted calories. Maybe that's a lot of my problem, lol. It seems overwhelming to plan out a menu that's perfectly balanced with the right amount of calories, maybe because I'm not familiar with how many calories are in various things. Proteins I have down and know off the top of my head about how much is in almost anything I eat, but with calories I'm clueless. I tend to focus on mainly protein intake during pregnancy, and I'm thinking I need to expand that focus if I want to avoid gaining 50lbs again.

Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully you can sneak in a nap today, so you'll be good to go for your class tonight!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#71 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 PM

^There's a great book that tell calorie counts for all foods including restaurants and fast food. It's called Calorie King. I got my copies at Borders. I'm sure any bookstore would have it. It's small, pocketsized almost. SO much info though! It shouldn't take more than a week to get an idea of what foods have what cals especially since most people tend to eat the same foods every week.
#72 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 PM

Perfect! I'm heading to the bookstore this weekend, so I'll look then. Thanks!

#73 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 06:58 PM

Well, I felt unusually good today and ended up going a little over 3 miles on the treadmill and got in a 20 min upper body workout as well as some ab exercises.

#74 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Not in your DDC, but I just have to pop in: I am soooooooo jealous that you have TaraRae here! Go, mamas!
#75 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 PM

I am so not an exercise person...i wish i was but i'm not..but i'm going to try.

I walked the kids to indoor play today pushing a stroller with 3 kids equalling 80lbs though fresh snow...so does this count?? It took about 20 min there and 20 min back and my heartrate was up.
#76 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 09:29 PM

Maggie, I'd say that definitely counts! That makes me tired just thinking of it.

So, there's another newly pregnant girl in my yoga class. The instructor just gave her some modified instructions occasionally. I talked to the instructor afterward and told her I was newly pg as well and she said I could continue the class until I delivered if I want. Hooray. I was afraid she'd boot me out the minute I started showing. There is no prenatal yoga to be had in my area.

#77 of 173 Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 PM

That's awesome! I'd love to do a yoga class but I'm a total novice and I'd look like a dork.

AAM- More exhaustive housework today. Took LO to the park for about 90 minutes. I'm maintaining my weight and I'm very pleased with that.
#78 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Did great at the gym today! At first I had an awful side stich, but I managed to work through it and I got out 1.5 miles on the treadmill and another 10 minutes on the stairmaster - a total of 45 min of cardio! I felt great afterwards and during.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#79 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily View Post
Maggie, I'd say that definitely counts! That makes me tired just thinking of it.

So, there's another newly pregnant girl in my yoga class. The instructor just gave her some modified instructions occasionally. I talked to the instructor afterward and told her I was newly pg as well and she said I could continue the class until I delivered if I want. Hooray. I was afraid she'd boot me out the minute I started showing. There is no prenatal yoga to be had in my area.
Yoga is a wonderful prenatal exercise! You'll be fine to continue but you do need to modify a few things. No downward dog, or other inverted poses like shoulderstands. Also, after the 1st tri, you cannot lay on your stomach or flat on your back so that will exclude things like upward dog, bridge pose, dead bug, yoga pushups. Also, no forceful twisting of the torso after the 1st tri. GL! There are some yoga videos out there that give you a different routine for each tri that might be helpful. I'll go find it and post.

I think this is the DVD:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...56088825&itm=1

The Gaiam brand in general is very good. I highly recommend.
#80 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 01:44 AM

Actually, I was at a presentation by a prenatal physical therapist recently and she said the on your back thing is outdated. It's fine to lay flat on your back as long as you listen to your bodies cues. If you feel dizzy or sick, that is a sign that the weight of your uterus and baby are messing with your bloods flow. She said that's fine all 9 months and that your body will tell you when it's time to move. hth!
#81 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Actually, I was at a presentation by a prenatal physical therapist recently and she said the on your back thing is outdated. It's fine to lay flat on your back as long as you listen to your bodies cues.
Yeah, the instructor last night was telling me (with the "ask your doc" disclaimer) that a lot of the docs are saying abdominal exercises are okay now??? I'm going to do some more research. I've got 7-ish weeks to figure it out

#82 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 12:00 PM

She said that too! I about fell over. My how things change.

But she did point out the importance of exhaling when you crunch or whatever.
#83 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, I was at a presentation by a prenatal physical therapist recently and she said the on your back thing is outdated. It's fine to lay flat on your back as long as you listen to your bodies cues. If you feel dizzy or sick, that is a sign that the weight of your uterus and baby are messing with your bloods flow. She said that's fine all 9 months and that your body will tell you when it's time to move. hth!
Very true. I say to avoid laying flat on your back because most women find it uncomfortable when they're pg since it makes breathing harder. It's definitely a generalization and you should absolutely listen to your body. I always tell people, of any population or ability, to do what is comfortable and challenging. If it hurts or is uncomfortable, don't do it.

And, yes, you can do abs throughout pregnancy. It's best to do them with a stability ball so the range of motion is a bit smaller. Again, do it to a point that is challenging for you and not a bit further.
#84 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM

Went for a walk with DS for an hour. DH is never wanting to go the the gym with me, and I have trouble pushing myself...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#85 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 PM

I taught a step class this morning and I'm done with everything for the day. YAY! Maybe I'll be able to sleep for awhile today. I didn't sleep much last night.
#86 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM

What a great job to have to keep you in shape during your pregnancy!
#87 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
What a great job to have to keep you in shape during your pregnancy!
I do love my job but it's pretty difficult right now to teach. None of my classes know I'm pg so I have to fake energy and that takes even more energy. My Doula said the energy thing should get lots better after the 1st tri and I should feel pretty good through the 2nd tri. I sure hope so because I'm not going to be able to continue to work like I am throughout this pregnancy if I'm tired like this from now on.
#88 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
I do love my job but it's pretty difficult right now to teach. None of my classes know I'm pg so I have to fake energy and that takes even more energy. My Doula said the energy thing should get lots better after the 1st tri and I should feel pretty good through the 2nd tri. I sure hope so because I'm not going to be able to continue to work like I am throughout this pregnancy if I'm tired like this from now on.

The energy level definitely gets better in the 2nd trimester. Love the 2nd trimester!! It's going to be nice for us all to go through it at a time of year when it's fun to be outdoors too.

#89 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 04:18 PM

I was more tired and nauseous today than yesterday, but I made myself hit the treadmill anyway. I got in 2 1/2 miles and some weight lifting and ab crunches. Now the nausea is gone, but I'm super tired. Going to try to get in a nap this afternoon and see if that helps my evening nausea & fatigue.

#90 of 173 Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 PM

I'm not going to the gym at all today. My whole body ached last night and I just felt like I needed sleep, so I let myself sleep in this a.m. No yoga tonight since it's V-Day. The class is still in session, but we're going out to dinner as a family. Gonna drag myself out of bed tomorrow night though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page