The Exercise/Fitness Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 173 Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3 days in a row! I'm rockin'! Ok maybe not, but I sure am proud of myself. LOL.

Anyway, today was pretty good. I sent 20 min. on the ellipitical (sp?), did 1.06 miles, and then did 20 min. on the treadmill and went 1.03 miles. Not too bad. I finished off with a set on my arms using 5# weights, but then I ran out of time and had to get back to my office.

I'm feeling good. Working out is definitely boosting my mood. Oooh, there was a question I was going to ask, but I can't remember what it was now!! I'll post again if I remember.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#122 of 173 Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM

3 days in a row here, too! Though I'm exhausted today. . . I may just take tomorrow off and pick up on Friday if I still feel like this tonight.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#123 of 173 Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM

I thought I'd post a link to some info about prenatal yoga. Someone asked about it earlier but I don't remember who. This site tells what you can and can't do during each tri. It's the only site I've found that says more than just "don't do inverted poses during pregnancy" which doesn't tell us much since the 1st tri is so much different than the 3rd! HTH someone!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_great-pr...articleId=7862
#124 of 173 Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM

Another walk with petri, puppies, and dh

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#125 of 173 Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 PM

I took the 18th off.. and was lazy yesterday, didn't do much. My walking buddy hasn't been able to walk, and I hate going alone. But I got a crosstrainer, so I won't have to worry about walking alone anymore!

2/19 15mins crunches, push ups, leg lifts, stretching
2/20 25mins on crosstrainer, 15mins crunches, pushes, leg lifts, stretching

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#126 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 AM

Ladies,

You rock! Keep up the exercise, it's so good for you and the baby! I'm sure TaraRae82, as another fitness professional, would concur.

On Wednesday, I taught two (yes, two!) indoor cycling classes--one at 6 am and another one at 630 pm. I've been blessed with tons of energy and no morning sickness, so my doc said I could keep up all my activities provided I keep my heart rate a bit lower than my previous training levels. I race triathlons and marathons, as I shared with you all the other day, so backing down a bit has been a challenge for me mentally. But, I know there will be time to race after the baby comes....I have too many friends WITH kids who are much better shape than me since they trained THROUGH pregnancy, so I know it CAN be done.

I'm about to head out for a 7 mile run and some weights. Have an AWESOME day.
#127 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 PM

^ I do indeed concur!

I don't have any classes today which is nice since that means I can use any energy I have to do my own workout. I teach 10-12 classes a week (9 of those are split between M, W) so a day w/o is an odd occurance and I need a day off right now! Not sure what kind of workout I'll do today. I may do one of my Cathe Freidrich Step DVD's and then hit some total body weight training with my Bosu. Cathe is such a ****! I want to be just like her!
#128 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 PM

I was feeling sooo crummy yesterday. Then it dawned on me that I was feeling crummy like this LAST wednesday too. Both times I went to yoga tuesday night and got right back up and did a workout wed morning and then felt crummy all day. I think it might just be too much for me right now.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#129 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Does anyone have any really good at home workout suggestions? I go on walks most days with ds and my puppies but I feel crappy but when I go to the gym and do the elliptical I can only stay on for a few minutes before I get these terrible pains in my lower tummy. Before doing any more of that I am definately asking my MW. But that will have to wait until Monday when I have my appt. Anyway, good at home workout suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated Thanks in advance

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#130 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 PM

I was soooooo tired this morning that I thought there was no way that I was going to be able to workout. But MADE myself go to the gym and said that I was at least going to walk on th treadmill!

Anyway, I went 1.66 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill and then did some abs, and upper body (back, arms, shoulders, etc.) I actually feel pretty good now. Although, we'll see if I have any energy to clean the house tonight.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#131 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife View Post
Anyway, I went 1.66 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill and then did some abs, and upper body (back, arms, shoulders, etc.) I actually feel pretty good now. Although, we'll see if I have any energy to clean the house tonight.
I thought we werent supposed to do ab workouts pg... no?

#132 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
I thought we werent supposed to do ab workouts pg... no?
Not true. You can do abs of any kind as long as you aren't uncomfortable through the first tri. After that, you just have to modify so that you aren't flat on your back and even then, if it doesn't cause discomfort, it's fine. I'll be modifying by using a Bosu or stability ball so I'm never in a completely supine position, always just slightly inclined. There are plenty of ab exercises you can do w/o doing crunches too. Planks and pelvic tilts are a great option and anything laying on your side (like squeezing your straight legs together and lifting them both off the ground to target the obliques) are great too.

As for exercises that you can do at home when you can't get to the gym, pushups are my personal fave. Stationary lunges or pendulum lunges (a forward lunge and then a reverse lunge) are a must for me since I carry my weight in my tush and it keeps it lifted and firm instead of just looking big. I love combining exercises together like doing a squat and then pressing a weight over your head as you press to standing (squat push press) or a single arm row as you push to standing from a lateral lunge position. Things like jumping jacks or wall jumps for 45 sec to a min at a time are great way to get cardio in too. Squat thrusts are awesome for getting the heart rate up as are mountain climbers. You could probably find pics online if you google any of this to see what it looks like since it's difficult to describe. I wish I could workout today. I feel better this afternoon but I'm afraid to push it.
#133 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 PM

What Tara said. LOL. Although I have to admit I was a bit nervous about doing ab work at first. Today is the first day I've done any since getting my BFP. I was very careful to listen to my body- and aside from some incredibly weak feeling abs, everything was good! No cramping or anything. So I will probably slowly add more to my workout as I'm comfortable.

#134 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Ahhh, I used to be so good at plank and such... pre 1st pregnancy lol! I will definately be picking up on those (lightly tho). I remember last time the ultrasound tech said I had such tight abs which was good for me, bad for her trying to position the babe lol, hoping for that situation again haha

#135 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
As for exercises that you can do at home when you can't get to the gym, pushups are my personal fave. Stationary lunges or pendulum lunges (a forward lunge and then a reverse lunge) are a must for me since I carry my weight in my tush and it keeps it lifted and firm instead of just looking big. I love combining exercises together like doing a squat and then pressing a weight over your head as you press to standing (squat push press) or a single arm row as you push to standing from a lateral lunge position. Things like jumping jacks or wall jumps for 45 sec to a min at a time are great way to get cardio in too. Squat thrusts are awesome for getting the heart rate up as are mountain climbers. You could probably find pics online if you google any of this to see what it looks like since it's difficult to describe. I wish I could workout today. I feel better this afternoon but I'm afraid to push it.
Thanks for the advice!

#136 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
Thanks for the advice!
No prob. I hope it all makes sense!
#137 of 173 Old 02-21-2008, 11:01 PM

I did 27 minutes on the crosstrainer tonight.. boy am I wiped out! At this rate, though, once the weather finally warms up I'll be all ready to jog and put my BOB to some good use!

#138 of 173 Old 02-22-2008, 04:26 PM

Well, I had to make myself go again today. I came SO close to just sitting at my desk. I think getting there is 1/2 the battle. I ordered a couple of pregnancy workout dvds, we'll see if those help too.

I went 20 min. on the elliptical going 1.09 miles and then I did 20 min. on the treadmill going 1.05 miles. Not too shabby, about what I seem to be averaging this week. I'm going to have to make sure to take lots of walks this weekend, plus I'm going to be starting the early season stuff in my garden.

#139 of 173 Old 02-22-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to post this yesterday, but I really want to keep a good record of when I exercise. Yesterday I did 2 miles on the treadmill walking/running - mostly walking these days. I just can't believe how TIRED I get from running. I can barely go for 5 minutes at a time, when I used to run a whole mile, or mile and a half. Anyway, I did the treadmill, then I did the stairmaster for an additional 10 min, making it 40 min of cardio altogether.

I rested on a bike (seriously, rested -- just sat with my feet up, drinking water) for about 10 minutes, and then did some weights and some abs. I felt really good, but so tired afterwards!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#140 of 173 Old 02-22-2008, 07:16 PM

No working out for me today. I'm still taking it easy since I have extra classes to teach next week and I'm still spotting. But, the spotting is still a diluted brown color so that's good. Hopefully I'll feel better and get back to it on Monday.
#141 of 173 Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 PM

I did 25 minutes on the crosstrainer. I'm starting to get crappy while exercising now. I really don't want to stop, I'm not sure why my body's reacting like this all of a sudden. Anyone else have any experience with this? I don't want to push it and cause harm to the baby.. but I also don't want to spend this pregnancy sedetary.

#142 of 173 Old 02-23-2008, 06:43 PM

My husband and I JUST got our home gym set up today--yay! We have an elliptical (I can't do treadmills because of arthritis in my back), a Bowflex (his dream), and a bench with free weights. He bought the flat panel TV and installed it today, so I'm ready to go! I used the elliptical today for about 15 mins., but my boobs starting hurting so I stopped. Last summer I was a workout junkie (45 mins. cardio + 45 mins. weights 4-5 days/wk), but I have been pretty sedentary since the fall. I'm a teacher, so I pretty much veg out at home during the school year. My question--how enthusiastic should I be when starting? I am 5'4" and weigh about 135 lbs. I would always really push myself at the gym last summer, but I'm afraid to do too much now. I'm thinking I should work myself up to about 30 mins. a day on the elliptical and 15-30 mins. of free weights a few times a week. Any suggestions? I also want to start yoga again, but the local prenatal class won't let me start until I have a note from my midwife (my appt. isn't until March 27).
#143 of 173 Old 02-23-2008, 10:26 PM

I would say listen to your body. If you feel you're doing too much, you probably are and stop. I'm having to stop after 25 minutes these days, and that's pushing it. It's not my idea of a good work out, but my body is saying that's enough.. I did 15 minutes of some hardcore shoveling today, which resulted in such terrible cramps I really thought I was miscarrying, and so I won't do anything else. I'm moving this week, so I have no choice but to do lifting and such, so I won't work out in addition because it's too much for my body at this point.

#144 of 173 Old 02-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Last night I ended up doing 20 minutes on the elliptical and about 20 minutes of strength training. I did:

3*15 bicep curls
3*15 tricep extensions
3*12 shoulder...lifts? (when you pretend you're flying with your arms outstretched--what are they called?)
3*50 crunches on an incline (thanks for that advice, Tara)

I plan on repeating tonight except focusing on the lower body with strength training. What's everybody else up to in the fitness dept.?
#145 of 173 Old 02-24-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedak View Post
Last night I ended up doing 20 minutes on the elliptical and about 20 minutes of strength training. I did:

3*15 bicep curls
3*15 tricep extensions
3*12 shoulder...lifts? (when you pretend you're flying with your arms outstretched--what are they called?)
3*50 crunches on an incline (thanks for that advice, Tara)

I plan on repeating tonight except focusing on the lower body with strength training. What's everybody else up to in the fitness dept.?
You're welcome!!!

Those would be called lateral raises, if I'm understanding your description correctly.

I'll be back to teaching class tomorrow night so I'll get quads, glutes, biceps, shoulders, triceps, abs, low back in then. If I feel well enough, I may get up and go take a cardio class at a gym in the morning. If not, I'll do some step at home when I feel up to it.
#146 of 173 Old 02-24-2008, 08:24 PM

Tara, I aspire to be half as fit as you are. If my life didn't consist of teaching 7 year olds for 7 hours a day, I would love to work out all day long! As it is, I find it difficult to even sit up straight at the end of a day! How long have you been a trainer? Was it difficult to get certified? Does it pay decently? I'm always looking for alternative careers
#147 of 173 Old 02-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Well, I don't get it. I walked/ran for about half an hour yesterday before lunch and then did crunches, lunges, squats, push ups, etc for about 20 minutes before dinner and I weighed more this morning! I thought I ate pretty well yesterday. Mind you, I feel a little swollen and fluid-y but dang. I never imagined I'd struggle with weight gain this much, already. At this rate, it better be twins. I'm going to journal my intake this week and see where I'm wasting calories. I had a few sodas this past week and I know that doesn't help.

I just went to the grocery store and bought lots of fruit and the stuff needed to make a huge pot of chicken noodle stew. It's surprisingly low fat and high in nutrients and protein. Yay!
#148 of 173 Old 02-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedak View Post
Tara, I aspire to be half as fit as you are. If my life didn't consist of teaching 7 year olds for 7 hours a day, I would love to work out all day long! As it is, I find it difficult to even sit up straight at the end of a day! How long have you been a trainer? Was it difficult to get certified? Does it pay decently? I'm always looking for alternative careers
Oh, I don't feel very fit with all this m/s every evening. Ugh.

As much energy as it takes for me to do my job, I never understand how teachers find the energy to do their job!! So much more physically and emotionally demanding and draining! Thank you to all of you teachers. You deserve more.

I've been a trainer since I graduated college in April of 2003 with a Bachelor of Science in Sports Medicine. I haven't gotten certified in personal training because I have a degree that is directly related. I just don't feel the need. I do have a primary certification in Group Exercise though. I'd love to continue those certs and get more specialized ones like kickboxing, Bosu, step, etc. since I teach it all and I always need new ideas. But, I won't be working much after Baby Hufflette is born so I don't want to put the money into it ($69-$several hundred depending on the company and cert type) when I'll only be teaching a class or 2 a week (just to keep adult contact!). The pay can be good but I don't make much. I work for myself so I train clients in my home or theirs and I try to keep my fees very affordable because I hate the idea of people feeling like they can't advance their fitness because it's expensive. I'm teaching more classes than clients right now so that makes it harder to make money since there's only so many hours a day that I'm physically able to workout! I teach anywhere between 1-5 hours a day depending on the day and what subbing opportunities are available and I have clients anywhere from 10-15 hours a week. The national average for trainers is $60/hour but I don't charge that much since I'm in the midwest. The gyms charge that much but private trainers can't usually charge that much since they don't have the facility to back it up. Instructors locally are paid an average of $25/class. It all sounds like a lot but really, it's hard to find clients to fill the day since most people want to work out before work (5:30-8:30am) or after work (5-8pm) so I normally work a split shift. Right now my schedule is full during those peak hours but DH still makes more than 5x as much as I do. It's a more lucrative career if you're on the coasts or in states that are healthier like Colorado. Wow, sorry that response got so long!
#149 of 173 Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
Well, I don't get it. I walked/ran for about half an hour yesterday before lunch and then did crunches, lunges, squats, push ups, etc for about 20 minutes before dinner and I weighed more this morning! I thought I ate pretty well yesterday. Mind you, I feel a little swollen and fluid-y but dang. I never imagined I'd struggle with weight gain this much, already. At this rate, it better be twins. I'm going to journal my intake this week and see where I'm wasting calories. I had a few sodas this past week and I know that doesn't help.

I just went to the grocery store and bought lots of fruit and the stuff needed to make a huge pot of chicken noodle stew. It's surprisingly low fat and high in nutrients and protein. Yay!
My weight fluctuates up to 4 lbs per day. One day of positive changes won't make a difference on the scale the next day generally. Plus, when you're pg, your body won't generally lose since working out doesn't wokr exactly the same for pg women. You're definitely getting stronger and healthier but you won't be losing body fat. The scale is the worst way to figure out if your workouts are working anyway. Do you feel stronger? How do you pants fit? (if you weren't pg!!) Is your body fat changing? Can you workout longer than when you started? Do you miss working out when you don't do it? Those are all much better measures of fitness and health. Hang in there and just remember that you're not working out to change your body right now, you're working out to help you through the marathon that is labor/birth and to encourage a healthy life to grow.
#150 of 173 Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM

I'm having mixed feelings on exercising right now. The last couple of times I've exercised I feel so awesome afterwards... for about an hour or two, but then when I come down off the adrenaline high I'm worse than ever for the rest of the day and into the middle of the night. I'm talking super bad fatigue and nausea that is way worse than before I exercised. On days that I don't exercise I still have fatigue and nausea, but it's not nearly as bad as on the days that I do exercise. So, I'm wondering if it's my body's way of telling me to slow down a bit? I may need to cut the intensity, duration, and frequency down a bit, but at this point I'm a little afraid of feeling awful for the rest of the day if I do decide to work out. The weather is gorgeous here today, so maybe I'll just try for a walk outdoors with the family later today instead of pushing myself hard on the treadmill.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page