The Exercise/Fitness Thread - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 173 Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
I'm having mixed feelings on exercising right now. The last couple of times I've exercised I feel so awesome afterwards... for about an hour or two, but then when I come down off the adrenaline high I'm worse than ever for the rest of the day and into the middle of the night. I'm talking super bad fatigue and nausea that is way worse than before I exercised. On days that I don't exercise I still have fatigue and nausea, but it's not nearly as bad as on the days that I do exercise. So, I'm wondering if it's my body's way of telling me to slow down a bit? I may need to cut the intensity, duration, and frequency down a bit, but at this point I'm a little afraid of feeling awful for the rest of the day if I do decide to work out. The weather is gorgeous here today, so maybe I'll just try for a walk outdoors with the family later today instead of pushing myself hard on the treadmill.
I think you need to do what is comfortable for your sanity. I think the idea of doing something super light like walking at a comfortable pace for 20 min is a good idea for now. If you find you feel crappy like that after lighter activity too, then take a break from it for awhile. The 1st tri is hard and if you're miserable that's not healthy for your body either. GL to you and I hope you find a way to stay somewhat active and not fel so absolutely awful.
#152 of 173 Old 02-25-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
I think you need to do what is comfortable for your sanity. I think the idea of doing something super light like walking at a comfortable pace for 20 min is a good idea for now. If you find you feel crappy like that after lighter activity too, then take a break from it for awhile. The 1st tri is hard and if you're miserable that's not healthy for your body either. GL to you and I hope you find a way to stay somewhat active and not fel so absolutely awful.

Thanks Tara. I think you're absolutely right. The first trimester is hard, and I think this is my body's way of telling me to take it easy. Besides, the kids will love some walks in the neighborhood or park now that the weather will be getting nicer. The fresh air will be good too.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#153 of 173 Old 02-25-2008, 04:00 PM

I wish that were all true. Ideally, my concern would be the baby and pregnancy. I've spent the last year losing weight and the better part of the last decade fat. I know it's a huge mental issue that I'll have to get over but right now, I'm still in lose fat mentality. I've weighed myself daily for the last year and I know that for me at least, my weight only fluctuates upward if that's a true trend or if I'm retaining fluid and it leaves soon. I think I'll go look for a book on healthy eating and pregnancy.
#154 of 173 Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM

Jora- I know how you feel about the being scared of gaining weight. I was never over weight, but still struggled with an eating disorder. After I got over that I was able to learn how to be healthy, not just worry about my size. But its always still a battle with the scale, and I'm so scared to gain weight and not be able get it off. Just wanted to let you you're not alone.

I haven't worked out the past two days. Dh has been out of town so I used that as an excuse to "relax." LOL. But on top of that my eating has been horrific!

I went out to lunch today, so I didn't hit up the gym. But I got the Perfect Pregnancy workout DVD and plan to try that for the 1st time tonight. I'm hoping that positing it here will help me to stick to it!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#155 of 173 Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 PM

I lived through teaching my 4 classes yesterday, barely, so I haven't worked out today. I think at this point, I need to save any energy I have for my classes and rest on the days I don't have to teach. I feel guilty when I don't work out because it's such a huge part of my life. I don't really want to work out though so I'm ignoring the guilt.
#156 of 173 Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't work out all week and I feel like doodoo about it.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#157 of 173 Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 PM

I've been too tired to go to the gym this week (and haven't had time with DS's surgery anyway...), but the yoga studio has prenatal classes on Saturdays. I think I might sign up for the 12-week session, just so I know I'm doing *something* good. I do work on the third floor and I have been taking the stairs, but I know that's not enough. I feel like a blob.
#158 of 173 Old 02-29-2008, 01:53 AM

I've felt like such a slug all week; have pretty much been nauseated 24/7 with just occasional unexpected breaks from it. Needless to say I've felt way too pukey and exhausted to do any exercising, and ugh I feel so bloated as a result. I cannot wait to be out of this phase... please hurry 2nd trimester!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#159 of 173 Old 03-01-2008, 01:06 AM

I taught a core conditioning class today, a step class, a 15 min ab lab, and a 45 min weight training class. Ugh. I'm dead.
#160 of 173 Old 03-01-2008, 01:14 AM

I walked around a rodeo/carnival for 3 1/2 hours while carrying DS in my arms! Gotta count for something lol

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#161 of 173 Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 AM

^That totally counts. Any activity counts right now, especially as tired as we get.
#162 of 173 Old 03-02-2008, 01:17 PM

Hi ladies.

This is a great thread. I have always tried to eat healthy and stay in shape so I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Even tho I'm "advanced maternal age" (36) and ttc'd for 17 months, my dr said to go ahead and work out like usual. I asked him if it's ok for me to "push myself" and he said yes... so I'm going to spin class today - I have found this to be an intense workout that I usually do once or twice a week. It's really fun!

It helps, though, that I have no m/s and don't really feel that tired or "pregnant" at all. I have had a cold for 1.5 weeks though so I will take it easy if I start to get too huffy. (I'm bringing my kleenex!)

Tara - you rock woman! I would say if you teach classes, you've worked out... especially if you're tired, you probably don't need to do more on top of that! Up until about 1 month ago I had a pregnant spin teacher. She was probably 7 months when she stopped teaching. But even before that, she drank A LOT during class and wore a heartbeat monitor and stopped when her heartbeat got too fast... I may get one later too... but for now I think I'm ok.
#163 of 173 Old 03-02-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencat View Post
Hi ladies.

This is a great thread. I have always tried to eat healthy and stay in shape so I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Even tho I'm "advanced maternal age" (36) and ttc'd for 17 months, my dr said to go ahead and work out like usual. I asked him if it's ok for me to "push myself" and he said yes... so I'm going to spin class today - I have found this to be an intense workout that I usually do once or twice a week. It's really fun!

It helps, though, that I have no m/s and don't really feel that tired or "pregnant" at all. I have had a cold for 1.5 weeks though so I will take it easy if I start to get too huffy. (I'm bringing my kleenex!)

Tara - you rock woman! I would say if you teach classes, you've worked out... especially if you're tired, you probably don't need to do more on top of that! Up until about 1 month ago I had a pregnant spin teacher. She was probably 7 months when she stopped teaching. But even before that, she drank A LOT during class and wore a heartbeat monitor and stopped when her heartbeat got too fast... I may get one later too... but for now I think I'm ok.
I use a heart monitor as well. I love it. It's nice because I'm not always aware of how high my heartrate is since I'm used to just going hard until I can't go anymore. This gives me warning that I'm at my limit and should slow down before I ever feel like I've overdone it. I'm sure I'll be a much better instructor again once I get out of the 1st tri and feel better.
#164 of 173 Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM

I haven't done much exercise-exercise in the last week, but I've been moving.. and moving out of a building on the third floor, and that is 70 regular steps from the elevator (not sure what it is in actual footage). Needless to say, I'm pooped and I'm for SURE counting it as exercise!! lol I'm actually seeing a difference in my hips/butt area, but the belly is a bit bigger.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#165 of 173 Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 PM

Well, I managed to get the to gym and walk on the treadmill today. I only walked for about 35 mintues though because of this nausea (is it werd to be afraid to say M/S? LOL)

Anyway, DH and I went for a walk with the dog yesterday too, so my week is off to a decent start. Hopefully I can keep it up.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#166 of 173 Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 PM

I'm having a hard time with exercise. I get really crampy after about 20 minutes and I'm not doing anything but walking briskly. So, to try to get a little something in, I've been walking with DS to pick DD up from school. He wants to RUN the whole way! Luckily his legs are short and that translates to walking a little fast for me. It's not far at all but it's something and it's only about 7 minutes each way.

I'm hoping that whatever is making me cramp goes away. I don't like not working out since I know it's important for the birth to be in good shape.

Anyone else having this?
#167 of 173 Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM

^I think you're doing exactly what you need to be doing...taking it slower and listening to your body. Remember that the most happens in the 1st tri and your body is being taken over! Do the best you can and take it one day at a time. Every day will be different.

AAM: I taught a lower body weight training class this morning and then a total body weight training class over lunch. I have another total body class this evening and I'm exhausted and feeling terrible. I just want to veg all the time. It's so strange to feel like this. It's so new to me. I'm normally so energetic and rarely sick that this is pretty frusterating. It's making me feel gulity since I know I'm not as good of an instructor when I feel like this and I can't even explain to my students since we aren't ready to tell them I'm pg yet! Ugh. Sorry. Rant over. Thanks for listening.
#168 of 173 Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 AM

I have been really sick for the last two weeks so I haven't been doing anything but laying in bed. Dr's orders. But I am finally feeling better so I went out for a 4 mile run today and it felt great!!! I am so happy to be up and moving again

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#169 of 173 Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 AM

LoL I was dancing to Billy Idol with DS and Im pooped haha

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#170 of 173 Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Girl View Post
I have been really sick for the last two weeks so I haven't been doing anything but laying in bed. Dr's orders. But I am finally feeling better so I went out for a 4 mile run today and it felt great!!! I am so happy to be up and moving again
Glad to hear you're good after a break. This is my first time on this board, I got my due date adjusted today and am not as far along as I thought (by a month!). I am a regular runner but have not run for two weeks due to nausea and fatigue--was going to try tonight, worried about how it would go after the break--thanks for the inspiration!

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#171 of 173 Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Woo hoo! I went to the gym today after work!

I managed to walk/run on the treadmill for about 30 min, mostly walking. I got an awful side stitch, and unlike during my pre-pregnancy days, I wasn't able to just run through it. It hurt SO MUCH! Gah! Anyway, then I did a few minutes on the stairmaster. Not a bad workout considering how inactive I've been for the last week and a half!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#172 of 173 Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Woo hoo! I went to the gym today after work!

I managed to walk/run on the treadmill for about 30 min, mostly walking. I got an awful side stitch, and unlike during my pre-pregnancy days, I wasn't able to just run through it. It hurt SO MUCH! Gah! Anyway, then I did a few minutes on the stairmaster. Not a bad workout considering how inactive I've been for the last week and a half!
Good deal! Good for you! It's normal to not be able to go as hard anymore. You don't have enough oxygen moving through your body because it's all being stolen! That lack of oxygen causes it to become anaerobic activity (=w/o oxygen) and that causes a buildup of lactic acid which is what you feel in that burn or stitch in your side. Try breathing only through your mouth since you can get more oxygen through the mouth than the nose and keep the breaths big and slow down when you feel the cramp coming on.

I taught a circuit class this morning which is great because I don't have to participate, just keep track of time and walk around to fix form and remind students when and how to breath. Tonight I taught a step class and felt pretty good until about halfway through and it was downhill from there. Oh well. I'm getting pretty used to that feeling. Tomorrow's a busy day with 4 classes so I'm thankful for an easier day today.
#173 of 173 Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
Good deal! Good for you! It's normal to not be able to go as hard anymore. You don't have enough oxygen moving through your body because it's all being stolen! That lack of oxygen causes it to become anaerobic activity (=w/o oxygen) and that causes a buildup of lactic acid which is what you feel in that burn or stitch in your side. Try breathing only through your mouth since you can get more oxygen through the mouth than the nose and keep the breaths big and slow down when you feel the cramp coming on.
That's actually really interesting and good to know! I've always been prone to getting a side stitch on my left side, but when it hit this time I was just in so much pain, I actually stopped the treadmill for a minute and stretched it out. There was very little I could do - so I did the breathing through the mouth thing and felt like a wuss until I could walk briskly again.

It's a lot harder to run b/c I do feel like I'm out of breath and panting a lot more. So I'm switching to brisk walking more and more. I still feel like I'm working out, but I'm not so beat afterwards or during. My goal from here on out is to do 30 min 3 times a week, instead of focusing on miles/calories burned the way I used to. Set my sights low, so to speak.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page