The Exercise/Fitness Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 173 Old 01-27-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it might be a good idea to start an exercise/fitness thread. I know I'm going to do my best to stay fit during this pregnancy, and would like a place to talk about it. We can encourage each other and support each other in times of exhaustion - as well as congratulate each other for all of our accomplishments!

I'll start. Before I found out that I was pregnant I was going to the gym about 4 times a week. I was doing about and hour of cardio and 15 minutes of strength training. Since finding out, I've only been to the gym twice (just so tired, granted, it has only been a week).

I went today - I did 30 minutes of cardio and about 10 minutes of weight training.

Precor/Elliptical - 30 min (tried to keep HR ~140-150)
Chest Press - 4*10
Tricep Extensions - 4*10
Butterfly - 4*10

So, come on, everyone! Join in! Even if you only work out at home - put it down. Housecleaning counts, walking counts, whatever you want to put. I just know I'm going to want (and need) some accountability! My jeans are already not fitting and I've had to go up a size - and I'm only 4 weeks!!! :

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 173 Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM

Huge long reply- lost. Crap.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'll be stickoing to my WW maintenance points and walking 5 days per week.
#3 of 173 Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 PM

I really want to stay fit this pg. We just re-joined our gym. We went hiking today for 75 minutes!
#4 of 173 Old 01-27-2008, 09:05 PM

Hi! Are you anywhere near the Springs?
#5 of 173 Old 01-27-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
Hi! Are you anywhere near the Springs?
I'm in Aurora - outside of Denver. I love the Springs though. I want to get down there soon and take the kiddos to The Garden of the Gods. We also want to take them to Pike's Peak this year. The first year we lived her - we went to Pike's Peak three times - with three different family member groups who came to visit! We haven't been since. Are you in the Springs?

I just realized that I have to go to Krav Maga on Tuesday! It can be very rough. I mean, I think I could make it through without doing too much rough stuff, but oh boy - I have to figure out something in the next couple of days. I'm also supposed to be meeting with a personal trainer on Tuesday morning. That should be interesting.
#6 of 173 Old 01-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Banned

i want to start exercising again but im going to wait until the cramps stop.
#7 of 173 Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 AM

I've been a runner for years and so I'm hoping I can keep that up through my second trimester. I also do yoga or pilates once a week and weights once or twice a week.
DH and I walked 3 miles today.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#8 of 173 Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 AM

I'm determined to stay fit this pregnancy too. I'm doing cardio(walking/light jogging) Mon, Wed, Fri, and weight lifting Tues, Thurs, Sat, and I take Sun off. I'm kind of glad to be pregnant in the summer this time, so I can get in lots of swimming.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#9 of 173 Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 PM

I'm doing pre-natal yoga this pregnancy for mobility. My pregnancy with DS saw me limping and clutching my hips by the time I was 32 weeks, and getting out of bed was torture. So hopefully between the yummy stretches and a chiropractor, I'll be able to walk this time.

In addition, I go up and down the stairs about a billion and ten times a day (guess who just discovered the built-in jungle gym? ), vacuum every day, and dance around a bit each day with DS.

Right now though, nothin' is happening until I stop feeling so "first trimester-y".
#10 of 173 Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM

I'm trying to go to the gym 3 x a week (not working out this week yet). And the bradley exercises: kegels, butterflies, tailor-sitting, pelvic rocking, walking, etc.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#11 of 173 Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I wasn't up to going to the gym yesterday, and yes, I do feel guilty! ARGH! I swear, it hits me around 3:30 or 4:00 - this drowsy feeling, this I-Just-Wanna-Take-A-Nap feeling. And I know I should be listening to my body at this point so I'm trying to take it in stride, but part of me feels really bad for "letting myself go" this early on in the game.

I'm determined to go today even if it's only for 20 minutes. Anything is better than nothing!

And I've been doing my kegels! I really have! This I am proud of because I am a nerd! :

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 173 Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM

so glad this thread was started. Maybe now i will stay in line with my exercise! i plan on doing cardio with my eliptical or my gazzle (don't know how to spell it) hopefully 3 days a week and also some light weight lifting. we are going to be some fit mamas if we kept this up

mom to dd 2002:,ds 2005 , and my youngest ds : 2008 and wife to a wonderful husband.
#13 of 173 Old 01-29-2008, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started jogging about 2 mon ago, I will keep doing that for awhile and also add yoga

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#14 of 173 Old 01-29-2008, 03:36 PM

I have not gained one pound and my pants will not even meet. What. the. hell? My muscles have given up.
#15 of 173 Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 PM

I made it to the gym today and worked out for 25 minutes. I've decided that I'm still going to Krav Maga tonight (there is a kick butt workout before every sparring session that I really enjoy). If the sparring is too rough, I'll just fake an injury or something!
#16 of 173 Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 PM

I ran until 7 months with my DD, then had bad sciatica and had to stop. I ran to 8 months with my DS (even though I gained 47 lbs that PG).

Both times I switched to swimming (I am an ex-competive swimmer) and worked out right to the day I went into labour with both.

I am older this time as I will be 41 by the time this babe is born but I plan to work out the whole way if I can.

Currently I run about 5K (or 3 miles for you Americans!) 3 times a week, do yoga twice a week and light weights twice a week.

I'm excited to be here, I hope I get to stay.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#17 of 173 Old 01-30-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

I worked out last night! I walked 1.5 miles and then did the elliptical for about 15 minutes. Then, I did strength training for about 10 minutes.

I have a question, though, because I'm really confused. Some places say you can workout at about 80% of the level you used to work out at. Other places say to keep your heart rate at about 140. If I work out at about 80%, I think that means I could still be running, not just walking. But once I start running, my heart rate goes up to like 160 or higher. So what do I do? Is it safe to exercise a little harder? I'll admit, I'm keeping my heart rate between 140-150 because walking this slow has given me a complex. I just don't feel like I'm doing enough, but on the other hand, I also want to be safe.

Pre-pregnancy, I would run for about 25-30 minutes 4 times a week (about 2 miles, give or take), or use the precor for about 30 minutes.

What do you guys think?

Also, what do you think of pregnancy fitness books? Are there any that you would recommend?

#18 of 173 Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 PM

Babycakes, most really fit women I know go by how they feel, not by the heart rate.

If you can still talk, you are fine.

Listen to your body.

Yes, I ran through most of both my pregnancies (and plan to again) but my walk breaks became more and more frequent as the months went on. And my joggin pace go slower and slower.

My kids are prefectly healthy. In fact, I would go so far as to say they are very healthy (touch wood!).

#19 of 173 Old 01-30-2008, 04:32 PM

Oh and I just did 45 minutes of power yoga and a few light weights at lunch, will run 5 K tonight. Admittedly though on Monday night I got too tired and walked the last quarter of a mile.

My first PG sign!

#20 of 173 Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM

I swam laps this morning and rode the stationary bike.
#21 of 173 Old 02-06-2008, 03:14 PM

I just walked/ran 35 minutes and did about another 10 of stretching. I'm up a pound the last few days but I can tell i'm holding water because my rings are tight and they're usually loose. Hopefully some walking and water will help.

How is everyone else doing?
#22 of 173 Old 02-06-2008, 03:42 PM

My last couple of runs have been really tough. I have had to slow my pace way down to do my usual 3 or 4 miles. It feels like my body is working really hard, and of course it is so it makes sense. I just hope that I don't get frustrated and give up working out altogether.
I'm going to go to my pilates class tonight and give my running a break for the evening.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#23 of 173 Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 PM

I try to run/jog 3-5 days/week. And tennis on the weekends. I have noticed that running is more difficult, I feel like my heart pounds harder and I run out of breath faster.

I also will begin to add a prenatal yoga class once a week if I can get in. And, I've been doing kegels!
#24 of 173 Old 02-07-2008, 12:10 AM

I'm totally using this thread as inspiration. I was planning on getting back in shape "for real" this month...then I got pregnant and I had to tone down my jump back into things plans.

I am hanging onto 18 extra pounds from my last pregnancy two years ago. The drop weight quickly with breastfeeding just didn't hold true for me and then I had a crazy busy, never have time to take care of myself (aka exercise) kind of two years.

I am determined to be healthy and get into shape.

DH and I got ourselves a trainer for our bikes so we could do a good cardio work out even if we were snowed in in the winter months. I also have a Gabrielle Reese prenatal workout DVD that I can't wait to use. I did prenatal yoga last time but I found it WAY too gentle...has anyone ever just gone to a regular yoga group whilst pregnant?

That's it for now!
#25 of 173 Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 AM

So am I the only one who didn't have some sort of work-out/fitness regimen before getting pregnant?? :

I mean, I stand and walk pretty much my entire shift at work, but that's only 2 or 3 days a week, and I'm quite sedentary the rest of the time. But I know I need to get some stamina going, or else I'm gonna be sucking come labor and delivery time. I guess my best bet is just to start walking, huh? Hmmm. All three of our dogs are HORRIBLE on a leash, so maybe I can combine the two - walking and training them. We shall see.
#26 of 173 Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 AM

My normal workout routine got put on hold for a couple months due to finals and packing/moving/unpacking. I normally work out 4 times a week and run 3-4 times a week. I was just getting back into things when I found out I was pregnant. I've kept things pretty informal so far, getting exercise by tossing a football around at the beach w/DP, playing "Ninja Warrior" at the playground with DS (don't ask lol) and going for walks as a family. I'm considered "underweight" : this time around and I want to make sure I don't just pack on junk pounds, I'd like to keep up what muscle weight I have!

What, if any, abdominal exercises are safe during pregnancy?

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#27 of 173 Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 AM

Well hell. I worked out and ate light yesterday and I'm up another pound today! This is really upsetting. I just lost 50 pounds and I am NOT gaining it back.
#28 of 173 Old 02-07-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
So am I the only one who didn't have some sort of work-out/fitness regimen before getting pregnant?? :
I had a great fitness routine, and then the holidays happened. I put on about 7 lbs during the holidays and was set to burn them off. For about 2 weeks in January, I was working my butt off and not losing a single pound, and I was crying and frustrated, and so mad. I was like, what else can I do?? I'm working out like crazy! I'm watching what I eat! This is annoying!

Then I got my BFP and realized, Ohhhh. Maybe that's why I wasn't losing weight!

So, yeah, I started out this pregnancy at least 5 lbs heavier than I wanted, and I've gained 2 lbs on top of that so far. Add the m/s and exhaustion, and I haven't been working out AT ALL. And I'm sedentary at my job. So I officially suck!

#29 of 173 Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Since I had an amazing nausea free day, I took advantage of it and went to the gym after work despite being DEAD TIRED. I'm glad I did it. My mood is up!

I did some weight lifting and 30 min of cardio. Whew, I'm glad that is overwith! :yawning:

#30 of 173 Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM

I managed 35 minutes on the treadmill today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page