Is morning sickness hereditary? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Mom never had a lick of morning sickness and so far, I haven't felt anything. I've always had to make sure I ate regularly or I'd feel a little queasy and that's continued in that I have to eat even more often, but nothing I'd consider nausea. If my Mom never had anything in 3 pregnancies, should I expect not to get it too or does it not work that way?

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#2 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 PM

I don't think so.

My friend's mother had 13 kids and only mild nausea with each pregnancy. My friend threw up every day right until the day before she gave birth.
#3 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 PM

It hasn't seemed to be with me. My mom was never sick with her three babies, and I threw up all the time for 39 weeks with DD.
#4 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 PM

I don't think so. I had no morning sickness at all (with twins even). My sister had average morning sickness. My other sister was throw up all day sick for a long time. Wouldn't make sense because we share the same mother.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 09:44 PM

I've followed my moms pattern but I think its coincidence more than anything. With my boys I was really sick...she was too with my bro. With my dd I had very minimal MS...same with my mom when she had her girls. Very interesting thought though. I've always wondered about a hereditary link between sensitivity to pregnancy hormones. You might have just given me a paper topic for midwifery school!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#6 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 10:26 PM

Bummer... I told my grandmother today, and she said she had 3 easy pregnancy so hopefully I will, too. My mom said she ate crackers with peanut butter for months with my brother, but didn't remember being sick with me.

I still feel good overall so here's to grandma's genes and it being hereditary!!

Birthdancedoula: Please keep us posted if you find anything out in your research.
#7 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sure it is hereditary. My mom never had morning sickness with nine pregnancies.

My sister and I never had morning sickness either.

You may take after your father's side of the family; half of your genetic profile does come from him. The problem is that most men never ask their own mothers about her pregnancy and delivery problems; this conversation just never happens.

It should since the information can be valuable to a biological daughter that man may have someday.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#8 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It was true in my situation. My mother reported she had no morning sickness with her pregnancies and I didn't have morning sickness with my pregnancy either. I don't think it's coincidence.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#9 of 12 Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well I sure hope it is!!! Thanks for your thoughts ladies! I'm just waiting for the infamous 6 week mark that others have been talking about....

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#10 of 12 Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 AM

My mom and sister both had NO morning sickness, and I was the same with my first pregnancy...hoping it will be this way again! So far I just get a little queasy if I don't eat regularly.
#11 of 12 Old 02-23-2008, 01:50 AM

My mummy never had m/s (and I envy her) and I have it *bad*

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#12 of 12 Old 02-23-2008, 12:05 PM

I don't think so, either, because pregnancies just in one woman can vary widely, with the first being one way, the second being another, and so on.

Also, you have the same EDD as me-- wait a few more weeks and revisit this question then! Maybe you won't feel sick at all, but it could just not have kicked in yet. I went back through my blog archives (because I've been so nervous about being asymptomatic) and realized that I never felt any nausea before 6 weeks or so.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page