how did you tell friends/family you are expecting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
 
jlbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i love hearing how people tell others their big news!

i just told DH over the phone (he was at work) because i couldn't wait any longer!

but for my mom, i wanted it to be special - she had no idea we were TTC. she loooves being a grandma and is so wonderful at it! (DS is her only grandchild). so i went to walgreens and got some prints of DS made. i took them to her house a few nights ago and she was all excited to see them. in the middle of the stack, i put a picture of my BFP. it was really quiet for a few seconds, then she stared at me with huge eyes and said "are you pregnant?!!?!?" then she hugged me and started crying. it was so sweet. she was a godsend of support to me during my first birth, and i just can't to have her at our next one!

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
jlbaby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 AM
 
meadowmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is such a great story! We haven't told people yet, and I love the way you did it....okay with you if we steal it?
meadowmoose is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 AM
 
DCRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been trying to come up a way to tell the wifes and my parents.

Here is one idea I have.

"We've got some great news, (pause) We just saved a bunch of money by switching are car insurance to Geico, (pause) and were going to need it to because "*" is pregnant"

Jaws will hit the floor.

We just recently decided to have a child, and neither of our parents think we will ever have kids. They will be pleasently suprised, as neither have grandchildren, yet.
DCRC is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 04:06 AM
 
Amber Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were really boring. We just called everyone. In our defense, none of our families live anywhere near us, so it's not like we could have done any cute in-person thing though. Everyone was really shocked and happy though, so it was fun calling everyone and getting their reactions!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
Amber Lion is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 04:51 AM
 
triple07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 2,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As we dont live near any of our family, we really couldnt do something special or cute. But how I told DH was I "made" (wrote on with a sharpie...) a bib for DS saying "Big Brother In Training" then in Valentines gift bag was a poem "written by the LO" in my belly and the HPTs in a plastic bag lol. It was cute. He didnt believe me at first... til he saw the HPTs...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

triple07 is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 AM
 
WeasleyMum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 2,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For my DH, I came back to bed shrieking and waving the test in his face-- I'd had to get up really early to pee and decided to POAS while I was in there.

For my friends, I just posted a pic of the postive test on my blog and called a few that don't read it.

For my parents and sister, I called; they said, "what's new?", I said, "guess!". They guessed right. This is kind of hard on them because they worry about me so much.

At work I hadn't told yet, but one of my coworkers already guessed anyways.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

WeasleyMum is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle_kate View Post
That is such a great story! We haven't told people yet, and I love the way you did it....okay with you if we steal it?
of course! the look on her face was just priceless. (with DC#1 i had to tell her over the phone, as she lived 2,000 miles away.) i keep telling people my news, though i know it's very early yet. it's so hard to hold it in!!! ack.

DCRC, that is great. esp. since they do not know!.....first grandchild news will be wonderful!!

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
jlbaby is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
jlbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
At work I hadn't told yet, but one of my coworkers already guessed anyways.
yes, i think one of my co-workers has secretly guessed also - i swear, she is clairvoyant!!! : i just DO NOT want my boss to know for a while - at least til the end of march, hopefully i can hold out til early april. i know he will be supportive (he is a grandfather), but once he knows, everyone will know. he's a chatterbox!

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
jlbaby is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 01:20 PM
 
WeasleyMum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 2,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbaby View Post
yes, i think one of my co-workers has secretly guessed also - i swear, she is clairvoyant!!! : i just DO NOT want my boss to know for a while - at least til the end of march, hopefully i can hold out til early april. i know he will be supportive (he is a grandfather), but once he knows, everyone will know. he's a chatterbox!
I have a pretty close bond with this coworker when it comes to TTC-- she's 5 months preg right now and had an early m/c last year, she's seen me go through my two m/cs too. So we've both basically been TTC for over a year. She figured it out when I had to make a "doctor's appt" (really a midwife appt).

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

WeasleyMum is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 01:57 PM
 
Changed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing interesting BUT if we find out it's twins, I'm stealing the idea of taking a family picture with text reading "There are 6 people in this picture" (There are only 4 of us now) So cute! What a fun way to tell everyone. I just really hope we don't have to use it.
Changed is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 02:06 PM
 
elspethshimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live far from our families and best friends and so had to tell every one over the phone. Otherwise, we would have people over for a visit, put a doggie tee that says I'M GOING TO BE A BIG BROTHER on Henry ther Pug, and wait until they figured it out. As it happened I called my mother, brothers, father, and two best girlfriends and said, "I'm pregnant" with no warning or preface.

Andy, on the other hand, wanted to be somewhat creative after telling his mother we are "expecting" (for some reason I hate that word, probably because of those awful pregnancy births). When he talked to his dad he asked him if he wanted to be "grandpa or grand-dad" and could he let us know in about 9 months. The conversation he had with his brother was funnier. My brother in law hates my dog (he hates all dogs, but my dog gives him pug-love, which annoys him). So, Mike was telling Andy about his new trucking gig, which is long hauls and Andy said, "But you are going to be so far away from your niece OR nephew." To which Mike replied, "Oh, f*ck my nephew!" thinking that we were talking about the dog. Then Andy explained that we were talking about a baby.


The reactions all around were general excitement, but Andy's mother asked, "Can you afford it?" : and his brother also asked, "Was it an accident?"
elspethshimon is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 04:28 PM
 
annie-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: northern california
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh has this quirky thing about being really excited to get the mail when he gets home from work. Sometimes he enters the house and looks sort of sad if I've already collected it from the mailbox. So, I usually leave it for him. The day of my BFP, I put the test in a plastic bag, wrapped it in a paper towel and sealed it in a manilla env. with his name and address (ours) on the front. No return or stamps! I put it in the mailbox before he got home that day. Of course, he had to come home later than usual and every minute waiting was so horrible because I was so excited! I actually cleaned out all the kitchen cupboards while I was waiting! He came home, poked his head inside, asked about the mail and smiled as I said that I hadn't had a chance to get it yet. He skipped (I think that is only in my mind!) out to the mailbox and came back with the pile of letters, etc. Inside, he ripped open the env. with the test and just stared at it. Then, looked at me and smiled!
annie-o is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 06:36 PM
 
Bee21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I told DH, I just went back to bed and told him I had a secret. He guessed what it was pretty quickly. We haven't told very many other people, but when we do I'm stealing the "bfp picture in the middle of the other pictures" trick, that's so cute! We might have an u/d pic by then, although I doubt it.
Bee21 is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 06:45 PM
 
triple07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 2,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie-o View Post
Dh has this quirky thing about being really excited to get the mail when he gets home from work. Sometimes he enters the house and looks sort of sad if I've already collected it from the mailbox. So, I usually leave it for him. The day of my BFP, I put the test in a plastic bag, wrapped it in a paper towel and sealed it in a manilla env. with his name and address (ours) on the front. No return or stamps! I put it in the mailbox before he got home that day. Of course, he had to come home later than usual and every minute waiting was so horrible because I was so excited! I actually cleaned out all the kitchen cupboards while I was waiting! He came home, poked his head inside, asked about the mail and smiled as I said that I hadn't had a chance to get it yet. He skipped (I think that is only in my mind!) out to the mailbox and came back with the pile of letters, etc. Inside, he ripped open the env. with the test and just stared at it. Then, looked at me and smiled!
OMG that was such a cute idea!!!!! Very adorable.

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

triple07 is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 06:47 PM
 
TaraRae82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We haven't told anyone except parents and siblings so I'm taking notes of everyone's creativity! We're thinking we might tell at Easter since we'll be with my extended family. I was thinking a baby cake with something cute written on it for dessert after our big family dinner as a way to tell everyone.
TaraRae82 is offline  
Old 02-24-2008, 10:53 PM
 
iamleabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we really haven't told many people yet. i told my sis right away over the phone.

with dh's parents, we decided to tell them because we didn't tell them last time and when i m/c'd it was weird to have them not know. it was like it never happened with them. so we sent dh's brother a card in the mail that had a smiley face on it on the inside and below the smiley we wrote...can't wait to meet you nov 08! love baby 'lastname.' we knew once we told him it would be the same as telling dh's whole family.

i'm in haiti now on an educational trip and haven't told any of the students. my instructor knows. but it is awkward that i haven't told in certain ways...like today we took a truck into town and i happened to sit in the way back which was really really bouncy.

but i think we will wait til the hb to tell most people.
iamleabee is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 01:40 AM
 
Mamatolea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This time, DH needed new glasses, so I took the test upstairs and then brought down the glasses case behind my back and asked if I could give him a Christmas present early(it was the beginning of Dec..lol). He sighed and said, ok, I knew you couldn't wait and I handed him the glasses case.

He was like, cool, I needed new glasses and opened the case to see what they looked like and gave a little shriek of joy and grabbed me and hugged me!!

Last time, I woke up at 2am and knew I needed to take a test. I took it and of course, positive! So I ran into the bedroom and sat on the bed next to sleeping DH and shook him and said, "Are you ready for this?" And he said what? Then I said, "Are you READY for this?" And he said, are you pregnant?? And I screamed and he sat up dazed and then got wicked excited! (he takes a while to wake up..lol)

Then we bought picture frames for everyone and scrapbooking letters and put "Baby Maynard" and inside a piece of paper that said, "Picture coming soon!" When we gave it to my sister in law, she went, but I am not pregnant...DUH! She isn't even a Maynard anymore! LOL

For his parents, we bought bibs that said Grandma and Grandpa and gave them to them.

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Mamatolea is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 AM
 
~Stephanie~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We haven't told anyone yet. We will probably wait until 12 ish weeks. Honestly I'm not up for the rude and snarky comments I'm sure we will receive as this baby is #5.
~Stephanie~ is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 AM
 
triple07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 2,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
This time, DH needed new glasses, so I took the test upstairs and then brought down the glasses case behind my back and asked if I could give him a Christmas present early(it was the beginning of Dec..lol). He sighed and said, ok, I knew you couldn't wait and I handed him the glasses case.

He was like, cool, I needed new glasses and opened the case to see what they looked like and gave a little shriek of joy and grabbed me and hugged me!!

Last time, I woke up at 2am and knew I needed to take a test. I took it and of course, positive! So I ran into the bedroom and sat on the bed next to sleeping DH and shook him and said, "Are you ready for this?" And he said what? Then I said, "Are you READY for this?" And he said, are you pregnant?? And I screamed and he sat up dazed and then got wicked excited! (he takes a while to wake up..lol)

Then we bought picture frames for everyone and scrapbooking letters and put "Baby Maynard" and inside a piece of paper that said, "Picture coming soon!" When we gave it to my sister in law, she went, but I am not pregnant...DUH! She isn't even a Maynard anymore! LOL

For his parents, we bought bibs that said Grandma and Grandpa and gave them to them.
I see you are due 08/08/08... my DS was born 07/07/07

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

triple07 is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 01:03 PM
 
mbhf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
very cute ideas everyone. i found out on valentines day so i just wrote I'm pregnant in a card for my DH. he was super excited.

I'm not looking forward to telling family this time. This is number four and I have already heard that we shouldn't have any more kids. I know my mom and sisters will be excited (and my dad will be shocked and nervous as always, my poor dad) but my grandmother is pretty set that two kids is enough for any family (guess how many kids she had?) and my FIL has told my dh several times that it is impossible to love more than 3 children (again, guess how many kids he has?)

maybe we just won't tell anyone and see how long it takes for someone to ask.
mbhf is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 01:54 PM
 
sarahtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Iowa
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my fourth pregnancy and I was out of fun ideas for DH, so I just put the test on his side of the dresser. Unfortunately, he didn't see it. But he did sit down to use my computer and saw my DDC up on mothering.com and I said "hey, guess who's knocked up?" and he guessed like four other people before guessing me. It was kind of funny.

Assuming things go OK this time, we'll tell family at DS's birthday party (just because everyone will be together). I'm going to wear a Tshirt I made that has a picture of an oven with a bun in it and just wait to see who notices. If nobody notices, then DS's last present will be a stack of books like "What every baby needs" "On Mother's Lap" and other "we're adding a baby to the family" type books. If they don't get it then, I guess they'll just have to figure it out once I start wearing maternity clothes.
sarahtar is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 06:49 PM
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For my BFP I had made a green diaper cover and a while ago had purchased a bib that says, "I love Daddy" on it. I took a cute stuffed dog that Dh had given me when we first started dating and propped the bib on it and layed the diaper cover in front of it, tucking the test inside. He got home, saw it on the coffee table, picked up the test and asked- is this positive??! Then we cried.

We haven't told the rest of the family yet, but plan to this weekend. We're recruiting some friends of our to help out since the family is so far away. (about 900 miles). For my parents we are getting baby booties and some other cute baby thing, wrapping them seperately in regular paper and having our friends (they are also very close to my parents) take the items over and having them open them while we're on the phone.

For DH parents I wrote a poem from the LO to his/her cousin (they are raising him) and we're going to mail it to them and have them call us before reading it.

Everyone else we'll just call.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
LoveLife is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
 
jlbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtar View Post
I'm going to wear a Tshirt I made that has a picture of an oven with a bun in it and just wait to see who notices.
this is hilarious - i laughed so hard! esp. to imagine that everyone is so dense, no one notices.

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
jlbaby is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 AM
 
CrunchyDoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I got the BFP on Valentines Day morning and I had to do some postpartum doula work that day, so I had all day to think about it So I got to tell my DH that night.

So I wrote a poem...I got home and here is how it went

Roses are Red (Handed him a red rose)

Violets are Blue (Handed him a blue flower)

I love Lailah and You... (Gave him a kiss)

And...the NEW BABY too! (As I am holding up a newborn onesie!)

He was SHOCKED and didn't quite get it and then he asked, "Are we pregnant?!?" And I said yes and he just sat their with his jaw open and then hugged and kissed me! It was a great way to tell him as with Lailah I only told him over the phone, so I wanted it to be special this time

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
CrunchyDoula is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 AM
 
triple07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 2,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doula View Post
Well I got the BFP on Valentines Day morning and I had to do some postpartum doula work that day, so I had all day to think about it So I got to tell my DH that night.

So I wrote a poem...I got home and here is how it went

Roses are Red (Handed him a red rose)

Violets are Blue (Handed him a blue flower)

I love Lailah and You... (Gave him a kiss)

And...the NEW BABY too! (As I am holding up a newborn onesie!)

He was SHOCKED and didn't quite get it and then he asked, "Are we pregnant?!?" And I said yes and he just sat their with his jaw open and then hugged and kissed me! It was a great way to tell him as with Lailah I only told him over the phone, so I wanted it to be special this time
Awww that sounds sooooo cute!!!

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

triple07 is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 AM
 
CrunchyDoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
Awww that sounds sooooo cute!!!
It was fun and cheesy, but it worked

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
CrunchyDoula is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 AM
 
DreamsInDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The first person I told was my DH. Actually, I didn't tell him. I took my test and set it on the counter and then went out and finished eating lunch with the family. When my DH was done eating I dragged him into the bathroom with me and showed him the test. He asked "Are we pregnant?" and I just nodded. He picked me up and hugged me and when I looked at him there were tears in his eyes. And this is our fifth baby. His reaction was great.
I then called my sister who told our (biological) mom. They came down the next weekend for my DD's birthday party. The two of them and my (adopted) mom were chatting about gardening and my sister said I probably wouldn't be gardening this year, what with a one year old and a two year old, and then my (biological) mom piped up with "And one on the way." My (adopted) mom heard it but didn't say anything. She called me a couple of days later to confirm what she'd heard and I told her yes, I am pregnant. She was not as excited as my DH and had some questions about how we would manage but after I reassured her we'd thought it all through, she did mention "It sure would be nice to have another granddaughter." I told her I'd do what I could
DreamsInDigital is offline  
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 AM
 
sarahtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Iowa
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbaby View Post
this is hilarious - i laughed so hard! esp. to imagine that everyone is so dense, no one notices.
I will DEF. report back. Bday is in mid April.
sarahtar is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off