Who's having a waterbirth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I might. I definitely want to try water labor, but the thought of swimming in my blood/placenta really makes me queasy, so at this point I don't think I'll want to push in the water. I'm reading "Choosing Waterbirth" though, and it's making me think that I might want to do all of it in the water.

Anyone else planning a waterbirth?
#2 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 05:59 PM

I really, really want one. So much it hurts.

But right now I can only have one if we have a home birth and I am not certain how I can make that happen given our current financial circumstances.
#3 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 06:00 PM

I am, totally.
#4 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 06:04 PM

I'm definitely putting in my birth plan that I would like to labor in warm water tub if my body tells me to. If from there I decide to stay, then yes, I'll have one. I love the idea and it sounds even more magical than outside of the tub since it's so smooth and gentle and I could catch the baby and bring it up immediately to my chest.
#5 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Maybe. I didn't enjoy transition in water with my last birth at all. Being submerged I mean. Being in the shower was good. I'd like to get past transition an then get into the water for pushing. Like Tara said, I think catching my own baby would be easier that way.

My MW offers all kinds of tubs but we don't really have the room and honestly, the bathtub appeals to me more anyway. The stability, leverage and size- all the opposite of why I hate my inflatable pool. I imagine I'll have the baby in my bathroom. I think for some reason, it feels like a safe little cave to me.
#6 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 06:11 PM

^I think bathrooms are a safe place for a lot of women. It's somewhere we go to get away from things and take a breath. I know that's the first place I go when I'm upset.
#7 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 06:18 PM

I so badly wanted to do a waterbirth with my son 10 years ago but no one around here offered them at the time. Now this time around I brought it up when we found out we were pregnant and I would REALLY REALLY love to do one...there is a birthing center in the area that will do them however, I cannot have my OB/GYN there because he ONLY delivers at one hospital. I have been with him for 10 years...since I was pregnant with my son and I really want him to deliver this one as well. My husband also expressed concern and feels more secure having this baby in the hospital soooooo since the hospital does not offer them and this is my last baby... I guess I will never get my waterbirth It always seemed to me like one of the best ways to deliver though. I know it's supposed to releive pressure and pain for the mother and be a more natural transition for the baby as well. Good luck with your decision!
#8 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 06:30 PM

I would LOVE to, but I don't think it will happen. This is our first, and DH is very, very paranoid. We made a compromise--I got a midwife instead of an OB, but homebirth is SOOOO out of the question. The hospital we are using is very NCB-friendly, and of course my mw is awesome, but they don't offer waterbirthing at the hospital. You can labor in the tubs, but you can't actually give birth there (the tubs are supposedly too small). It's all about compromise, right? Maybe the next one will be born at home...
#9 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 PM

In a typical delivery you will only loose about 1 cup of blood or less. And your placenta does not just fall out, most likely you will get out of the tub after your baby is born and deliver the placenta at this time.

Anyway, If there is time, I will be trying for a water birth.

Good Luck everyone!
#10 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM

I am planning for one!
The birth center I am using is known for their waterbirths...I am absolutely thrilled because I have wanted this through all my other children and it is the first time I have had it even be a posibility~~

Allison~~ Mommy to 4 amazing troublemakers Newlywed to David Throwing in the towel on Fertility treatments after TTC for 5+ yrs. Simplifying our life in anticipation of cross country move in 2011
#11 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 PM

I'm hoping for a waterbirth in a rented birth tub at home.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#12 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 07:51 PM

I'm planning on utilizing the option. I know that showers/baths help me immensely during my horrendous menstrual cramps and I've seen women go from almost freaking out to back in control simply from getting into the tub as a doula too. So I want it there for me to get in and out of as I want. The idea of giving birth in the water really appeals, but Dh is squicked out by the idea of blood/fluids/poo and says he'll support me from outside but isn't getting in with me! My house is super small though, so I think it'd take up our whole living room!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#13 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 08:06 PM

I'm planning a water birth. My third child's birth was a water birth in a kiddie pool we set up and it was really a wonderful birth. I'm open to laboring/birthing anywhere I feel led to, but the water birth was so serene and wonderful.

As for the blood in the water - I personally did not notice it at all. I labored and then my son was born and all focus was on him! I was up and out of the water when the placenta was born a bit later so it wasn't in the water with me.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#14 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 PM

I plan to waterbirth again.. I love how easy it is to move around.

I have done births for moms in little tiny houses - we make it work.
#15 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 08:50 PM

I REALLY REALLY want a waterbirth... I am hoping that wherever we move that we can get a mw, covered by our insurance, that will do that... ::crosses fingers::

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#16 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 PM

I'd like to, but I have the same concern. I'm glad to hear so many say it's not an issue. I guess it wouldn't be so highly recommended if it was really yucky.

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
#17 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 PM

I will have the option there...my friend has birthing tub so I will be borrowing it and I will definatly be labouring in it. As to weather I birth in it will depend on what I want at the time.
#18 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 PM

I've had two waterbirths and every time I've gotten out of the tub after birth I've been surprised at how clear and clean the water was.
#19 of 27 Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 PM

Me too, please please please please please???

I wanted one last time, but my labor stalled and when I progressed again she was afraid the warm water would stall me again, plus I had a lip of cervix that she held back for me and couldn't really do it in the tub, so on the bed I went.

But I know HOW to push and WHEN to push this time, so I am hoping like heck to actually give birth in the tub this time!

I want to use this smilie: : !!!!!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#20 of 27 Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

You ladies are giving me hope about my icky water fear! But I even dislike dirty dishwater, so we'll see. I'm sure at that time I probably won't give a cr@p, so maybe I'll just play it by ear. I like the idea of not planning either way, just following my instincts when the time comes.

I'm so lucky that there is a CNM who will deliver waterbirths at my hospital's birthing center. I'm going to meet her on Wednesday, so let's hope all goes well!
#21 of 27 Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_angel View Post
I am planning for one!
The birth center I am using is known for their waterbirths...I am absolutely thrilled because I have wanted this through all my other children and it is the first time I have had it even be a posibility~~
Must be The Birth Cottage??

I LOVE LOVE LOVE ADRIAN!!!!!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#22 of 27 Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 AM

I'm hoping for one. My midwife has one of those big Rubbermaid troughs that she sanitizes between clients. If I end up doing it at my house, I have a big jet tub in my bathroom, or I may just splurge on a birth pool.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#23 of 27 Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM

I am hoping for one at home. I am giving myself the freedom to choose what to do, but it sounds like a good idea.

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#24 of 27 Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
Must be The Birth Cottage??

I LOVE LOVE LOVE ADRIAN!!!!!
YUP!!
The Birth Cottage!!
I am amazed how many MDC mamas have used the midwives there!!
It makes it seem like a really small world!

Allison~~ Mommy to 4 amazing troublemakers Newlywed to David Throwing in the towel on Fertility treatments after TTC for 5+ yrs. Simplifying our life in anticipation of cross country move in 2011
#25 of 27 Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 AM

We are planning a home water birth. Really the thought of being in the bloody water after the birth doesn't phase me. At that point you are on such and adrenaline high that I doubt you will even notice it(much) as you are staring into your babies eyes! Good Luck!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#26 of 27 Old 02-26-2008, 11:44 AM

I am planning on having a tub in the house in case I want one. I would like to at least labor in it, if not actually give birth. I love baths as it is- they are just so relaxing, and the thought getting in the tub during labor just sounds so peaceful.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 bikenew.gif,  DS2 jog.gif, missing our angel.gif, and another babyf.gif on the way!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 belly.gif23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#27 of 27 Old 02-26-2008, 12:03 PM

I'm planning a water birth. A big part of why I chose the hospital I did (instead of the one closer to our house) is because they offer water birth there. With DS, I had a very long labor and when the time finally came to push I was really tired, some of the pushing contractions were not very strong, and I was having a lot of trouble pushing effectively in the water. So my midwife advised me to get out of the tub to push in a sitting or squatting position on the bed and rest on my left side between contractions, and DS was born on dry land. I really liked laboring in the water, though, and I noticed when I got out that there wasn't much blood visible in the water, even though the midwife had commented several times that I was doing well and making progress because she saw bloody show.

I'm really hoping that this time I can deliver in the water. Now I feel like I know what pushing is like and also how to better work with my contractions and relax through them so I don't get so exhausted getting myself to the pushing phase. I'd really like to try hypnobirthing this time around too...but that's another thread...

Erika, mama to Austin (9/14/06), (4/08, 13 weeks gestation), and Sierra (7/3/09, 27 weeks gestation)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page