Is anyone having a hard time giving up diet soda? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to be a diet soda (ESPECIALLY fountain pops) freak. I consume much less than I used to but with each pregnancy I've had more and more, mainly to try and cope with migraines and ms. There are some days when all other liquid sounds gross and the only thing I want is a diet pepsi. I'm avoiding tuna because of the mercury but there are so many bad things in diet pop that are toxins too I feel awful even thinking about it. Especially this early on. right now I only have like 2 cans a week but it's a struggle to keep away from it.

anyone else having this problem? Regular pop tastes very icky to me and last time I had extra fluid with my pregnancy mostly what I can conribute to my horrible diet with too much sugar so I'd like to avoid it if I can. I feel like the only thing I can drink is water. Milk is only palatable in the morning and then only a glass. maybe i'll start with the tea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 01:52 PM

I really love regular Coca-Cola. I'm having issues with it! At first I thought it was just a fluke (b/c I used to be a diet only girl) but it really hits the spot. And it has to be icy cold Coca-Cola - Pepsi will not do! I get a 20 oz and it lasts me about 2 days. It also helps with the m/s a whole lot.

My advice is try to cut back, but don't beat yourself up for it. You're only going to cause yourself stress. Especially during this early time when other things sound gross. Once your tummy settles down and you can drink other things (I love apple juice, diluted, personally) then you can move on from there and try to cut back even more or eliminate it. But for right now, I say just do your best.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 02-28-2008, 02:31 PM

DH and I havent been drinking soda AT ALL for the past several months then all of a sudden DH has been wanting soda and its so hard for me to resist if it is just sitting right there! But I do resist and drink LOTS of water and the best thing for me with ms is soda water...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:54 PM

Don't beat yourself up! If 2 cans of diet pepsi a week are going to help you keep your sanity, I would not worry about it at all.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:56 PM

I am a Diet Pepsi Freak. especially fountain. I used to call my dh on his way home from work and ask him to stop as Qt for me to get one.

I gave it up with my ds until the thrid trimester, and then I had one a day or every other day. (not pregnant I could drink it ALL day)

I gave it up with this one and actually it sounds gross to me right now. I am sure the cravings will come though.

I agree with a pp, diluted juice is my staple while pregnant. Grape juice is the best because its so sweet to begin with, it still tastes good watered down.

If you have one its not going to permanently damage anyone... but abstaining is always safer.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Yeah, I avoided it altogether for the first couple of weeks, but now it's sneaking back in. I don't think it's good for me, even when I'm NOT pg, but I figure once in a while isn't terrible. Personally, I'm more concerned about the caffeine than the artificial sweetener--and I hate that there are almost zero caf-free diet choices when you go out to eat.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

ahh yes, fountain pops...mmmm. My dh said the other day he was surprised how much I've backed off on it which made me feel good. Then 2 empties appeared in the kitchen! oops!

And I agree about the caf-free options when you are out to eat. I also don't trust the restaurants to actually put the right thing in the caf-free ones also, i mean who would know?
All that to say, i was actually day dreaming how nice it would be to sit in the Rainforest Cafe, listening to the sounds, drinking my fountain pop, watching the kids color as we all love that restaurant! I almost went there it got so bad!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM

The only thing that helps me when I'm feeling nauseous is little sips of Diet Coke. I've tried decaffinated, but it doesn't seem to work like the regular stuff. So I understand where you're coming from!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 PM

Not pregnant I drank diet soda (diet coke) often...at least daily and sometimes a few a day. I have had so much m/s with this pregnancy, though, I have had to purchase Ginger Ale and purchased 2 cases of Reed's all natural Ginger Ale (its Jamaican and made with 25 mgs of Ginger Root). since ive been drinking one or two of those per day, I don't crave the sodas anymore. I purchased the cases b/c the Ginger Ale is over $2.00 a bottle individually...by ordered 2 cases, I got them for $1.00 each.

Sugar can really mess with the absorption of essential minerals, so I don't recommend simply converting to regular sodas but try some of the other alternatives out there. Here is a link to the Reeds: http://www.reedsgingerbrew.com/brews.html.

I contacted my local health food store and asked them if they would give me a discount if I ordered a case. They did and I have had very little m/s since.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 PM

I used to be a diet coke freak but I gave it up before I got pregnant and don't really miss it too much. But every once in awhile I want something other than just water. So DH found me some mexican coca-cola. It's real coca-cola, but made in mexico, and they still use pure cane sugar as a sweetener instead of corn syrup. Yummy!! And it cones in a cool glass bottle, just like the old days.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

OMG, those glass bottles are the coolest!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:07 PM

I know a lot of people have issues with artificial sweeteners....but a lot of women use them in moderation during pregnancy (especially women with diabetes or gestational diabetes) and I haven't seen any studies linking them to birth defects or anything else. My dietician encouraged me to use Splenda when I had gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsmamma2 View Post
ahh yes, fountain pops...mmmm. My dh said the other day he was surprised how much I've backed off on it which made me feel good. Then 2 empties appeared in the kitchen! oops!

And I agree about the caf-free options when you are out to eat. I also don't trust the restaurants to actually put the right thing in the caf-free ones also, i mean who would know?
All that to say, i was actually day dreaming how nice it would be to sit in the Rainforest Cafe, listening to the sounds, drinking my fountain pop, watching the kids color as we all love that restaurant! I almost went there it got so bad!
Well there is no caffein in sprite/7up, right?

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
Not pregnant I drank diet soda (diet coke) often...at least daily and sometimes a few a day. I have had so much m/s with this pregnancy, though, I have had to purchase Ginger Ale and purchased 2 cases of Reed's all natural Ginger Ale (its Jamaican and made with 25 mgs of Ginger Root). since ive been drinking one or two of those per day, I don't crave the sodas anymore. I purchased the cases b/c the Ginger Ale is over $2.00 a bottle individually...by ordered 2 cases, I got them for $1.00 each.

Sugar can really mess with the absorption of essential minerals, so I don't recommend simply converting to regular sodas but try some of the other alternatives out there. Here is a link to the Reeds: http://www.reedsgingerbrew.com/brews.html.

I contacted my local health food store and asked them if they would give me a discount if I ordered a case. They did and I have had very little m/s since.
Hansen's is also pretty good as far as "natural soda" goes, no?

OMG I had to add this from the site as it almost made me pee my pants laughing... don't know why!

"Our ginger ice cream is made with cream and milk from a small dairy. (We have met the cows personally and they are treated very well plus the dairy has filed for organic status.)"

On another note, I found a store in teeny tiny San Angelo that sells Reed's products so I am sooo going to get their Green Tea Ginger Ice Cream like right now lol.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

yes, no caffeine in 7 up I think, and also in root beer. oh gosh...right now it ALL sounds gross to me.

And I recently read the opposite, how aspartame has been linked to birth defects.....it's all so confusing.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:06 PM

I have read that artificial sweeteners cause all kinds of problems. I don't take it when not pregnant. If you need a sweetener and don't want to eat honey or raw sugar, I would recommend Stevia...at least its natural.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 PM

But again, can anyone cite an actual study linking artificial sweeteners and birth defects, or is this all rumor and hearsay? On my doctor's list of diet do's and don'ts, it says they are fine in moderation and no studies linking them to birth defects. Can someone show me otherwise?

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 PM

Nothing proves them safe. So I err on the side of caution. I don;t take nutrition advice from dr's though. I find they just distribute pamphlets without really knowing much about them.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Nothing proves them safe. So I err on the side of caution. I don;t take nutrition advice from dr's though. I find they just distribute pamphlets without really knowing much about them.
amen lol

Old 03-02-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I don;t take nutrition advice from dr's though. I find they just distribute pamphlets without really knowing much about them.
Ditto. My OB/GYN told me I absolutely could NOT be vegan and remain healthy, let alone build a healthy baby. She was very upset with me! She actually told me to go home and drink a glass of milk and eat an egg immediately! I asked for a reference for a nutritionist so I could do what was best for my body and my baby, which she readily provided. I went to the nutritionist and expressed my concern about whether or not I could safely continue being vegan during pregnancy, and she almost laughed at me for thinking it wouldn't be! She told me I just had to plan what I was going to eat and take my prenatals, just as EVERY pregnant woman should do. I immediately switched my care to a MW and never looked back. My MW supported my choice to continue being vegan as well, which made DH very relieved.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 PM

I've been giving up tea and cutting down to decaf tea and decaf coffee. I had horrible headaches last week - but some of that was from the flu. Today I've had no caffeine and NO HEADACHES!!! It is hard the first week, but then it gets easier.

PS - Barq's Rootbeer has caffeine added.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 AM

Surprisingly I am having a problem staying away from it. It's a surprise because I usually never drink it to begin with, but lately when I see it, I want it. I am not a diet soda drinker but I like pepsi and dr. pepper.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
She was very upset with me! She actually told me to go home and drink a glass of milk and eat an egg immediately
I am not vegan, but I do not drink milk only soy milk. My nutritionist acted like I was already abusing my baby in the womb. I don't understand why they don't realize there are other healthy options out there other than what is considered the conventional diet. At least I am not at McD's or BK every day!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

I remember the meeting with a "nutritionist" for my first when I was still with an OB. Boy was it a boring meeting and she really didn't know or care about anything she was saying. When we switched to my mw's I was totally surprised that they were actually very interested in what I was eating, knew my diet (it's not very crunchy compliant! ), and helped me along the way when I had trouble getting veggies or anything really good in me. A huge difference to the "check the box" lady at the OB's office.

I also remembered asking one of the 6 doctors about having diet soda during pregnancy and he said to me "well, if you don't need it then why have it you know?". I was so ticked at his answer because it was soooo obvious he was male and his answer in no way helped me, I wanted to know about anything he had learned about it's effects on the baby and for him not to understand that a pregnant woman with morning sickness, naseau, a limited diet to begin with and an aversion to food, had a hard time with a simple statement like that.....one of the many reasons i love my mws!!! they help me think of anything else I can muster and get and keep down because I have 9 months of getting sick, not the typical few weeks.

anyways....your topic just brought back memories! err!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:26 PM

I also try to avoid it even when not pregnant but have a hard time abstaining completely, but I have limited it to a couple times a week and I feel good about that. Plus some mornings it really did help with nausea, even when ginger tea did not. I wonder why?

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
Old 03-06-2008, 01:00 PM

I had this trouble big-time in pregnancy. I am a soda addict. I compromised with Diet Rite, available mostly in the south. No sugar, no caffiene, no aspartame, no sodium. It's made with Splenda.

It's still far from good for you, but it helped me past the cravings.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07

User Tag List