Nursing Through Preganancy - Support Only - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesmom View Post
I was reading in "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" that supplements (fenugreek etc...) were not really recommended during pregnancy. I don't know if that is true or not, but I prefer not to take anything if I don't have too!
Oh yeah there are a lot of supplements that cause strong uterine contractions (fenugreek being one of the biggies) so there are few things that are recommended to keep supply up... brewers yeast doesn't have any side effects to me, but made poor DS gassy, so he wasn't too happy with that either

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Hey all! We're still going, too. Some days 2-3 times, but if we're on the go, dd doesn't seem to notice that we've skipped some. My nipples are still really tender, so we sometimes have to cut it short. It makes me a little sad when she asks if the other side is sore, too. She asked today, why is your nipple sore? I hedged. I don't want her to blame the baby in any way. I know my milk mostly dried up months ago, but she says she still gets a little bit. No comments on change in flavor, though, so I don't know if it's milk or colostrum. I would guess colostrum since I'm 25 wks, but I don't guess she really cares. I'm beginning to wonder how the tandem thing will work. I guess I'm getting a little nervous about nursing all the time.

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM

My 17mo is still nursing some, but she's been gradually cutting back over the last several weeks. She's down to only once or twice a day and has even skipped a day here and there. I can't say that I'm all that sad about it either, because latching on is so painful. I typically have tough nipples but yowza.. not right now!! She never stays latched on more than a couple of minutes at a time before she's off to play. I really don't think I have much milk at this point, and I'll be surprised if she is still nursing when the baby comes. I kind of wanted to tandem nurse, but one part of me is relieved to not endure painful latch on several times a day. When she wants to nurse she goes and finds the Boppy pillow and brings it to me, huffing and puffing all the way since it's as big as she is and then stares up at me and asks in the sweetest little voice, "Nurse?". I can't turn her down when she does that, because it melts my heart.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

ds3 has started nursing more lately. i know i didnt have any milk for a long time but i think its coming back b/c he's getting really excited when he sees my boobies! lol! he will be 2.5 exactly 7/1.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 PM

Well, we are done. We were nursing 2-3x a day when I found out I was pg. She dropped one session immediately, but was still doing well with the other two. Then my milk supply pretty much left at about 16 weeks. She stopped nursing in the a.m., and then one night didn't ask in the p.m. either. I offered, and she said "No thank you, mama." She hasn't nursed since. I was 20 weeks pg, and she was one week shy of her 2nd birthday.

I was nervous about tandem nursing, but definitely willing to try it. I guess now we won't.

Good luck, mamas!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 PM

I'm sorry DD stopped nursing Bee, but in a way, it was her choice, so its not like you led it on in any way!

PassionateWriter, my DS is 1 on 7/7! I am a little sad. I don't know how my baby grew up so fast Ahhh, but that's how it goes...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 AM

We are done as well. DD was nursing 5-6 times per day and lots overnight before I got pregnant. Slowly, the day nursings went a away and she would only nurse before naps. Then, if she was awake, she would latch on and take two or three big sucks then bite me and laugh. Then she would refuse to latch back on. At this point, she would still nurse in her sleep. Then she quit waking up at night so much and we were down to one night-nursing. Then she quit. She was not quite 14 months.

The other day I was getting dressed and my DH brought her up to my breasts and asked her "what do you do with these?" she leaned forward and latched on. She took two or three good sucks and then unlatched and started giggling. He tried again and all she would do is pat them and give them kisses. She still knows what they are for but she isn't interested in empty boobies.

I am disappointed, but not devestated. We are expected twins, so the thought of more nursing babies than I have boobies was a bit daunting. Plus the logistics of getting her to the boobies around my enormous belly - still don't know how I would have done that. I'm already as big now (20 weeks) as I was with her at 35 weeks.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM

I'm having serious weakness, here. I'm not sure I can stand it 13-14 more weeks. Dd is 2 1/2 and she's long since accepted that there's no more milk until the baby comes, but she still needs to nurse to sleep and if she gets really upset. The problem is, it's just soooo uncomfortable, that I catch myself delaying her as long as possible. For upsets, nursing calms her pretty quickly, and she's OK with limits on how long. Nighttime is also not a big problem, because she will usually settle down to sleep pretty quickly. But naps are making me crazy! She won't sleep if she doesn't nurse all the way to sleep. And some days, it takes FOREVER!!! I still need her naptime and she needs her nap (or she's really cranky) but I just can't always tolerate nursing as long as it takes. Help! I guess I really just needed to vent. I don't want to push her toward weaning before she's ready. I'm just not sure I can do this for 3 more months.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
I'm sorry DD stopped nursing Bee, but in a way, it was her choice, so its not like you led it on in any way!

PassionateWriter, my DS is 1 on 7/7! I am a little sad. I don't know how my baby grew up so fast Ahhh, but that's how it goes...
ahhh!!!

we are still plugging away. its hard all the time but my colostrum is finally coming in so at least there is something there and its not just dry nursing.

i have actually pinched myself while nursing to focus on that pain instead of nursing pain..how crazy is that huh? lol!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccrunchymama View Post
I'm having serious weakness, here. I'm not sure I can stand it 13-14 more weeks. Dd is 2 1/2 and she's long since accepted that there's no more milk until the baby comes, but she still needs to nurse to sleep and if she gets really upset. The problem is, it's just soooo uncomfortable, that I catch myself delaying her as long as possible. For upsets, nursing calms her pretty quickly, and she's OK with limits on how long. Nighttime is also not a big problem, because she will usually settle down to sleep pretty quickly. But naps are making me crazy! She won't sleep if she doesn't nurse all the way to sleep. And some days, it takes FOREVER!!! I still need her naptime and she needs her nap (or she's really cranky) but I just can't always tolerate nursing as long as it takes. Help! I guess I really just needed to vent. I don't want to push her toward weaning before she's ready. I'm just not sure I can do this for 3 more months.

I know how you feel! My poor nipples are so sore, sometimes I cringe when dd nurses. She stops and says "ouch mommy?" I tell her she has to be gentle, and she really does try! Other than that I have no idea how to make it better
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DD will be 18 months on the 12th. I am wearing a crappy, large bra to bed at night, and that has eliminated the twiddling. She has kept night-nursing, though I think she goes quite a few nights through till early morning. (like 4-5 AM) If I have to move her to give DH room though she'll usually kind of wake up and want it. It seems to work for her the way a binky did for DS.

She rarely uses nursing to fall asleep to nap anymore. She has accepted this rocking dance while I watch TV around 1 PM.

At bedtime, she has developed her own system. She will ask for "milk" (meaning bottle), drink that, then hand the bottle to me and ask "boo?" and nurse to sleep. LOL I think that is some clever problem-solving, how to have her boo and some milk too....

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesmom View Post
I know how you feel! My poor nipples are so sore, sometimes I cringe when dd nurses. She stops and says "ouch mommy?" I tell her she has to be gentle, and she really does try! Other than that I have no idea how to make it better
My dd tries really hard to be gentle, too. And she asks before nursing every time now, "Is this side sore?" I feel so guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakers_mama View Post
At bedtime, she has developed her own system. She will ask for "milk" (meaning bottle), drink that, then hand the bottle to me and ask "boo?" and nurse to sleep. LOL I think that is some clever problem-solving, how to have her boo and some milk too....
That is clever. Cute, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
i have actually pinched myself while nursing to focus on that pain instead of nursing pain..how crazy is that huh? lol!
That seems to help a little. Hurts though.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That seems to help a little. Hurts though.
lol! yeh, not something i really recommend. just an example of the measures ive had to take.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 AM

Well dd had gotten down to nursing once a day, and now she is back to being a nurse machine. At least she is still sleeping through the night! I am OK with tandem nursing and it doesn't seem like it will be that hard, but how do you do it when the older baby wants to nurse like 5 times a day!! Also, she only nurses on one side now and dh said maybe she is saving the other side for her brother, LOL!! But it might be true!

Did anyone have an older nursling who picked up in the 3rd trimester, but slowed down after baby?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

ds hasnt nursed for several days...im not sure whether he has weaned or not but im sooo sad about it.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:02 PM

I had to work hard to get DS off breast preference, then he started to prefer the OTHER side My baby boy still nurses about 6 - 8 times per day, although MOSTLY right when he wakes up and when he goes down for a nap, or to sleep at night. But sometimes he likes to comfort nurse, like when I am in the kitchen cooking for awhile, he just wants to nurse to be close to mommy

Old 07-20-2008, 03:19 PM

hats off to all those mamas who are still going strong. i wish i were

dd weaned just around the 1st tri. she'll be 3 in sept so i'm glad i managed to nurse her as long as i did. i'd like her to nurse again once beaker is here, and she says she'd like to too, but i think she's forgotten how to latch already i planned on letting her nurse throughout the pg, but it became so excruciatingly painful once the milk dried up for good that i just couldnt bare more than a second or two. my continued redirection resulted in her weaning.

it took us 8 months to conceive this baby, in a way i'm glad it took that long because dd was more able to understand and accept that boopboop was no more when the milk did dry up. 8 months sooner would have been very hard on her i think.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:48 AM

Yall are AWESOME! I completely expected to nurse through this pregnancy since DD#2 isn't yet 2 years old. But my milk totally dried up toward the end of first trimester and after a month of dry nursing it just became WAAAAY too painful to keep going. It's been months now since DD#2 has had any "booby," but she keeps asking every once in a while. I feel SO sad, but don't have ANYone near me who would understand. DH didn't even realize I couldn't nurse anymore and when I sniffled about it he looked sort of sad for me, but I could tell he just didn't understand. The ladies at LLL were great when I went to get support because I was feeling tons of pressure to wean when I was first preggie... but I can't bear to go back now that I can't BF... I know they would love to encourage me with the tandem and I plan to tandem... I'm trying to get the guts up to go again, but I feel so sad thinking about the other little ones about DD's age who will nurse there and that seeing such a thing might make DD sad OR want it more or something.

I just want to say, though, that I think yall are WONDERFUL. It can be hugely difficult for some women to nurse while preggie. I've even read that some physical revulsion issues with BFing while preggie are caused by missing nutrients (or depleted)... but yall are just pushing through and I'm so happy to know there are SUCH mothers out there!!! ^_^

KEEP GOING!!! Your baby will be better for the best food they can get!!

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

Old 07-21-2008, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

i am so excited!!! ds has not nursed in several days..i cant remember the last time and tonight he nursed to sleep. i almost cried. it doesnt hurt anymore and i was wondering if i would ever feel "ok" w/ him nursing again b/c it either hurt or made my skin crawl up until a few weeks ago.

i am hoping this is the beginning of a better sleep pattern for him.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Sigh. I was soooo happy to read this post. DD (2 1/2) and I have been struggling on and off with yeast since the start of pregnancy and so I thought the pain was mainly due to that. I don't want to force her to wean. She is devestated when I say no that she has to come off. I don't know what to do. When it is not painful, I love it, I would never force weaning. When it is painful, I get resentful and angry and I hate having those feelings toward her. I am also worried about not kicking this yeast thing and passing it to a newborn. I am so sad and depressed about it. I cried most of yesterday. I don't know what to do...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

how is everyone else doing? ds has been nursing more and more lately and sicne we've been sick, thats been great but i am having a lot of pain in my nipples alot more lately too and every time he nurses, its for a very long time. i have constant contractions. I am 37 weeks on Monday so i know that i dont have that much longer to go but man, its really tough. i thought it was going to get easier.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:11 PM

36 weeks as of yesterday I have carefully limtied Dd to 3-4 nursings a day, period. It's just toooo painful, and I fear the constant nursign that many toddlers go through when the post partum milk comes in. I have LMS, and i lack patcience in general for BFing (though I totally belive in it and fought hard to continue) I just can't imagine nursing a newborn 14 times a day, plus my DD if she went back to 6-8 times a day where she was 6 months ago. For the most part it was a very smooth natural transition, but sometimes when she is tired she asks when it's not time and I have to say no. Thats rough.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

luckily i havent really had to limit the number of times he nurses but i have had to say "nurses go night night" and that gets him very very upset. it breaks my hear but i guess its great that we have made it this long. often along this trip of nursing during pregnancy, i have not felt good about my feelings and have seriously doubted if we were going to make it.

do you have the constant contractions??? those are really annoying to me when having to deal w/ the sore nipples, etc. etc.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Yeah the thing that keeps me worried are the contractions. I am 35w5d, which is 2 weeks further alomg than when I gave birth to DS so I am getting along but get scared that nursing him will send me into labor. DS still nurses 4 - 6 times per day and I think he will be nursing 6 - 8 times when my milk comes in. He would rather nurse than eat solids but there just isn't enough milk for THAT at the moment lol.

But at the same time, Im not willing to "cut back" his nursing sessions for fear that he will wean too early.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
luckily i havent really had to limit the number of times he nurses but i have had to say "nurses go night night" and that gets him very very upset. it breaks my hear but i guess its great that we have made it this long. often along this trip of nursing during pregnancy, i have not felt good about my feelings and have seriously doubted if we were going to make it.

do you have the constant contractions??? those are really annoying to me when having to deal w/ the sore nipples, etc. etc.
I get contrax when she nurses at night and nap time, not usually in the am. I try to pour myself a big glass of water, or water with Ionic Fizz (powdered magnesium supplement drink), to drink while nursing, that seems to help.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Wow, Mary Ann I'm so proud that you're still going with the worry about PTL. Can you believe you're almost 36 weeks?!

Congrats to all who've managed to keep nursing! Good work Mamas!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

im not concerned about the contrax leading to labor..i dont think nipple stimulation works unless your body/baby is ready. i have discussed it w/ my MW b/c i was a bit concerned that its sooo much....but she isnt concerned either so i dont have that worry. the concern for me is that it feels uncomfortable for so long and he nurses for a really really long time now (like 1/2 an hour...that never happened before).

i will try the water though. it would be good for me to eliminate that issue from our nursing r/s.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Before I had to switch to OB, my MW said she might ask me to wean until after 37 weeks since I have history of preterm labor and that my cervix was funneling at 26 weeks... But it is good so far and now before or right after I nurse I take false unicorn root to stop contrax...

And thanks Changed I am sooo excited about approaching 36 weeks. 4 weeks 2 days to go

Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Triple, i can see if you have a history of PTL...i dont necessarily (well, its debatable...my first was 36 weeks but i dont really consider him pre term..he was born exactly 9 months from date of conception and was 8.12 so there was no medical condition re: lungs, etc. etc.).
Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 PM

I'm not worried about PTL neither is my midwife, they are just uncomfortable and I hate pushing my LO away when she wants to be close. So its the water and the magnesium for me.

User Tag List