Nursing Through Preganancy - Support Only - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought those of us who are nursing through pregnancy could have a thread for support only. I know that I have issues that I have never dealt w/ before. My son is 26 months old and I am approximately 12 weeks pregnant.

I didn't want to continue in the other thread b/c there are some there that really have the need to wean, and I understand that, but thats not what I'm hoping to do.

I hope this makes sense. I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes in the other thread but really would love to talk to others who are nursing through this pregnancy through teh same period, if that makes sense (most of the tandem nursing on teh forum aren't nursing through pregnancy..or if they are..tehy arent at our stages of pregnancy, kwim?). Also,as I have learned in 12 weeks, there are probably going to be alot of changes through the pregnancy and nursing.

So, anyone want to join me? I hope to make it through the pregnancy without weaning. But I am having issues and could use support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 11:26 PM

I'm here with you, NAK as we speak. She is 11 months old today, so I have zero interest in weaning her. We just went through a stomach flu and I was glad she was still nursing. My supply seems to be going down slightly (I pump at work), but we'll see if that was due to the flu and her lack of appetite.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 03-14-2008, 11:35 PM

I get ya. I'm actually not trying to wean but we're well into the natural process of it all. My nursling is 40 months old though! I'd like to tandem and welcome it but I don't really think he'll keep nursing that much longer. I guess I do and don't belong here but I wanted to chime in and support you all. I think CLW is ideal and applaud you for seeking out support.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:44 PM

Yes, yes, yes!
DD is 31 months. Neither one of us are ready to wean. She says she'll share with her new baby, though
I started the Brewer's Diet mainly to keep up my milk supply (I need to keep track of how much i eat and make a rule to eat more)... along with lots of oatmeal, it has really helped. Oh and quality sea salt and epsoms salt baths to keep the minerals up... I wish I could find where I read that mineral deficiencies can cause nipple tenderness and "the willies" while bfing.

We are having fun with the stomach flu too-- the first day, she threw up, then nursed, then threw up again. Poor kid had never thrown up before, but I was actually happy to know that I still have so much milk It is not as tingly as usual when the milk comes down, so I thought the supply had actually reduced.

So far, I can't complain too much. My areolas are sensitive, but only to bras and dd's latch feels more pinching- I think she might be getting more teeth... but that's about it... And I'm convinced bfing is keeping m/s away!

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 03-15-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
I started the Brewer's Diet mainly to keep up my milk supply (I need to keep track of how much i eat and make a rule to eat more)... along with lots of oatmeal, it has really helped. Oh and quality sea salt and epsoms salt baths to keep the minerals up... I wish I could find where I read that mineral deficiencies can cause nipple tenderness and "the willies" while bfing.
Oh I am so glad I read this. Has anyone else notice their supply plummet? I feel like I have so little milk now but my son doesn't seem put off... although he will now only nurse on my left side, which was always much more productive. I'll have to try some of your suggestions.

The other thing I wonder is what it will be like nursing with a big ol' belly. Right now he curls up on my lap - that won't be possible soon...
Old 03-15-2008, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

im doing the Brewers diet too but im having such an aversion to food lately. i dont know why.

i know my supply is plummeting. and im really stressing about it, which i know will cause my supply to plummet even further!

i need to eat more..and drink more water. i was doing GREAT the first 11 weeks or so but the last week or so has just been..i don't know...weird.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm nak right now. I was tandem nursing when I conceived but I weaned my older nursling. I'm starting to notice a drop in my supply despite taking More Milk two every day. My DD is 13 months.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:26 PM

I'm nursing my 20m/o dd currently. It would absolutely break my heart if she weaned, despite the fact that I'm not loving nursing right now. DS1 weaned temporarily when I hit the 2nd trimester w/ #2. He picked right back up once his baby brother was born and nursed til he was 5. DS2 weaned at 18mo, again once I hit the 2nd trimester w/ #3. DS3 weaned at 26mo, again when my supply dropped when I was preggo w/ DD. I'm really hoping that trend doesn't continue for DD.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 PM

DS is almost 20 months and only nurses before bed and in the morning (and in the middle of the night if he wakes up) and I've noticed that my supply has gone down. Last week he had a cold and woke up a few times during the night so I lied down with him and he started nursing. After a while he got frustrated when no milk was coming so he asked for water so I gave him a drink and then he nursed a bit more and went to sleep. I think at this point he wants it more for comfort. He's also getting more attached to his blanket. Before if he was upset (like if he fell or something), he would ask to nurse but now he wants his blanket. I have a feeling he won't be nursing much longer. I've never heard of the Brewer's diet though but I'm going to check it out if it can increase my supply.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Count me in too! There was a thread started a while ago but it seems to have petered out.

DD is 13 months and neither of us is anywhere near ready to wean, I feel like my supply has dropped significantly over the last week or two but it's really hard to gauge. I ordered some 'More Milk for two' this week and a copy of 'Adventures in Tandem Nursing' so I'm really excited to get both - hopefully this week. DD seems to be drinking much more water than usual but is nursing as frequently as ever (getting her 3rd and 4th molars), is anyone supplementing with calcium sources? I'm not really wanting to do dairy, DD has had fortified rice milk on rare occasion but I'm wondering how much she should be getting....
Old 03-16-2008, 08:21 AM

I don't give milk to my ds, he only drinks water. I have started giving him yogurt and rice cheese slices so he gets calcium there.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

My son never had milk until probably a little over a month ago. We only drink raw milk. Unfortunately, he's not a big solids eater..never has been. Last night he drank 2 sippy cups of milk. He woudl nurse, drink from his sippy cup and then nurse again..He did that until he drank over 2 cups. also at night last night he was looking for his sippy cup.

this is making me really sad b/c its a huge sign to me that i just dont have much milk anymore. i have had a hard time eating lately (i eat like normal, but problems eating on teh Brewer Diet..i dont know why...by the time i finish making something to eat my appetite is gone).

i dont know what we are gong to do. i really want him to be nursing when the baby is born.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Oh! I'd love to join this thread. I have a 19 month old who I have no interest in weaning (neither does he) I'm finding that my husband is subtly pushing us though. I keep letting him know that I'm planning on nursing DS until one of us doesn't want to anymore.

I am finding that I'm having some issues through the pregnancy while nursing. Supply is definitely dwindling. DS is unable to nurse to sleep and stay asleep without the nipple in his mouth for the duration of his nap. We've night weaned him in the last 6 weeks and I think he's afraid of losing his day time nurses too the poor kid.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Count us in too. Wyatt is 11 months old and still nursing pretty frequently. I'm dealing with supply issues as well, but I will be glad to be out of the first trimester so I can add in some red raspberry leaf tea. I wish I could drink Mother's milk tea because that always boosts my supply. I am afraid to drink it because it has fenugreek listed in the ingredients.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:11 PM

RRL tea is considered very safe in all stages of pregnancy- generally speaking. I was just told by my midwife the other day that if I think I can get DS to nurse more with more milk, it might help. I don't think I have ANY milk left at this point.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

i have heard of some waiting to drink RRL for the first trimester b/c it has been known to cause contractions, but i drank it anyway b/c i didnt think that was going to be a huge issue for me.

last night ds drank 2 full sippy cups of milk. he would nurse, drink sippy cup, nurse...i dont think he's "really" nursed all day.

im just so sad about it..i did not want my pregnancy to cause him to stop nursing.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:01 PM

My 28 m/o dd is still nursing regularly (3-5x/day) even though my milk seems to be dwindling. I'm not planning to wean her either. I figure she'll wean when she's done nursing. I think I'll be surprised if we don't tandem. She's always been one to nurse for every little thing, not just hunger or thirst.

So what is the Brewer's diet? How does it help? I'd love to know about the nipple tenderness / mineral deficiency connection. Latch on is awful! It's usually fine after a minute or so, though.

I'm glad you started this thread PW, cause I could certainly use the support, too. Thanks!

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
Old 03-17-2008, 12:16 AM

I hope to be there with you ladies!

My dd is 21 months and we're barely holding on. She's never been a big comfort nurser, and hasn't nursed to sleep since she was little bitty, so I don't have those things to tempt her with. Now that my supply is dropping she's getting kinda ticked, and we're down to once a day. Last night when I asked her if she wanted her chi-chi's before bed, she actually said no. That's the first day we've ever gone without. But she was back to normal tonight, so I'm hoping it was just her stuffy nose. I'm hoping that if we can hang on to this one time a day until after the babe is born, she'll get excited when there's real milk again and decide to keep going.

My MW also suggested RRL tea, but it was to help with my m/s.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 AM

DS is only 8 months at the moment so I am definitely pushing to tandem nurse (despite the freaked out looks I get from DH's family when it is mentioned). So far I don't have any supply issues ::knocks on wood:: I want to nurse at least to 2 years with all of my children but I don't think I will forcible wean them until they are maybe 4...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
i have heard of some waiting to drink RRL for the first trimester b/c it has been known to cause contractions, but i drank it anyway b/c i didnt think that was going to be a huge issue for me.

I have had five miscarriages so I didn't want to do anything that I would be wondering "what if" if I did miscarry. If all of my previous pregnancies had been normal and healthy, I would probably consider the RRL tea right now.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM

At this point I am just trying to drink LOTS and LOTS of water to keep supply up, which has been working. And I mean like a gallon of water a day! When it starts to drop I am going to find brewers yeast tablets. I have heard some good things about those...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Stephanie, i can completely undestand that. s

i did take it easy on the RRL but im out of the first trimester now. thank goodness.

my nights are hard though and my milk is almost nonexistent. im having difficult times with it all. i would never wean but i think he's doing his own sort of weaning. i dont know....its painful to experience.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
Stephanie, i can completely undestand that. s

i did take it easy on the RRL but im out of the first trimester now. thank goodness.

my nights are hard though and my milk is almost nonexistent. im having difficult times with it all. i would never wean but i think he's doing his own sort of weaning. i dont know....its painful to experience.
I'm so sorry!!! I know that I would feel the same way if Wyatt decided to wean. This happened to me when I was nursing my 3rd child and became pregnant. He started refusing the breast and weaned himself. I was soo sad and then I lost the pregnancy around 11 weeks. I tried to re-establish breastfeeing, but he wasn't interested at all. I am just hoping that Wyatt and I can make it through this pregnancy.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM

I'm nursing my 18-month-old son and although I posted in the other thread that I was considering night weaning, I haven't done it yet and I don't really want him to wean entirely. I'm really torn on the night weaning issue because I don't know if I want to tandem nurse at night (will I get any sleep? has anyone here done this?) but I also feel like my son nurses the most at night right now. I too am noticing a drop in my supply and it seems like it just isn't worth his while to nurse much during the day anymore but at night he really wants his "na-na". He usually wakes and nurses 2-3 times during the night. I'm afraid if I stop nursing him at night my supply will really tank and he will wean.

Also, I work outside the home during the day so his opportunity to nurse during the day is limited. Up until last week, his favorite nursing time was right when I got home from work. But suddenly he seems to be much less interested in nursing then and I'm thinking it's a supply issue. I am also feeling a little sad -- and guilty -- that this pregnancy may end our nursing relationship before my son is really ready. When we decided to TTC another pregnancy I didn't really think about this aspect of it.

A nurse who works with the group of midwives I see told me that she thinks the most important thing for successfully nursing during pregnancy is to drink enough water (and if water is hard to stomach because of m/s, herbal tea or diluted juice is good too). I'm going to try to drink even more water and see what happens.

Erika, mama to Austin (9/14/06), (4/08, 13 weeks gestation), and Sierra (7/3/09, 27 weeks gestation)
Old 03-19-2008, 01:56 AM

My supply is definitely dropping. I used to just shoot milk out every time I let down (still at 22mo), now I don't even see milk on my nipples when dd spontaneously latches off.
The part I'm struggling with is night weaning. I did the Dr. Gordon thing right when I found out I was pregnant, but then a couple of weeks ago we went on a trip and now we're starting from ground zero again, only worse! It seems like she's having an even harder time now than she did before! I'm so exhausted, I desperately need some good sleep!

And, even with the drop in supply, dd seems to be on a bit of a food strike. Its like she's rebelling against food because she "has" to eat it. She almost never eats more than a bite or two of whatever I give her. Any sugguestions in getting her to eat a little more? The other thing is that, ALL she wants to do is nurse. I'm having to leave the house and find things to do during the day because if we stay home, we can't do anything but nurse!

If anyone has any tried-and-true sugguestions, please pass them on! I'll have to pull out my brewer diet info and start eating more oatmeal. Do oatmeal cookies count?! Just kidding!

Sadie
Old 03-19-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
My supply is definitely dropping. I used to just shoot milk out every time I let down (still at 22mo), now I don't even see milk on my nipples when dd spontaneously latches off.
The part I'm struggling with is night weaning. I did the Dr. Gordon thing right when I found out I was pregnant, but then a couple of weeks ago we went on a trip and now we're starting from ground zero again, only worse! It seems like she's having an even harder time now than she did before! I'm so exhausted, I desperately need some good sleep!

And, even with the drop in supply, dd seems to be on a bit of a food strike. Its like she's rebelling against food because she "has" to eat it. She almost never eats more than a bite or two of whatever I give her. Any sugguestions in getting her to eat a little more? The other thing is that, ALL she wants to do is nurse. I'm having to leave the house and find things to do during the day because if we stay home, we can't do anything but nurse!

If anyone has any tried-and-true sugguestions, please pass them on! I'll have to pull out my brewer diet info and start eating more oatmeal. Do oatmeal cookies count?! Just kidding!

Sadie
No advice, just wanted to chime in to say Good Luck Mama!!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Alot of us are in teh same boat. i feel that im hanging on by a thread. ds nursed yesterday morning upon waking and then not until around 7. He did nurse for more than an hour on and off, but didnt wake up at all last night to nurse.

I have started drinking 2 liters of herbal tea per day (starting yesterday) and I am hope this helps a bit. I think he just doesn't like the taste but he still wants to nurse. Only 6 more months to go. I have to tell myself Ive made it 3 months...1/3 of the way there.

oatmeal cookies count!!! lol!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 AM

I wanted to pop in here with lots of support!! Although I posted in the other thread and definitely aren't sure where we'll end up, we're currently nursing full-time (he runs by for "sips" at least 15-25 times a day!) and going strong. And I've nursed my other 2 children all the way through pregnancies! So I'm 100% on-board with this.

I can't really tell how my supply is doing. I don't really feel let-down after infancy (never have), and he doesn't seem to be having any frustration at the breast, so I just don't know yet. When does supply start to be affected by pregnancy? I can't remember what my midwife told me last time. I remember during my last pregnancy that my 2 yr old told me it was "yucky," (lol), but he kept nursing anyhow. He cracked me up!

Lately the only real issues I've been having are sensitivity. Not only regular pregnancy sensitivity, but also my LO has been twiddling majorly lately and it is driving me bonkers!

Other than that, all seems the same, so we're just going along.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
Me too! And it was all tingly! I thought the milk supply tanked. But, DD proved me wrong last week by puking about 2 cups of breastmilk all over me And she says there is milk flowing, even though I don't see it or feel it, or even hear her swallow much.

And don't forget to add some extra good fats to your diet-- I've read that fat is the essential part of milk making, not necessarily water.

Oatmeal cookies count!!! even no-bake chocolate cookies :

Does anyone have advice for nipple soreness? Everytime dd latches on, it pinches. It's getting worse.

Oh, one more thing- on the CLW forum, I was told not to drink RRL tea more than a week at a time if you are nursing because it can cause your milk to stop with "long term" use... and Mother's Milk tea is bad if you are pregnant. Anyway, thought I'd pass that on

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM

NAK
I am definitely on-board. My son is 24 months and nurses like nobody's business. I need a thread like this. There have been times in the past couple of months where I literally feel like my skin is crawling in reaction to the nursing. C. seems to be nursing much more since the dawn of this pregnancy...There are times when I just don't know if I can tolerate the yucky feeling that his new nursing style seems to bring about.

A friend of mine told me of this same experience...I couldn't imagine that I would ever feel any negativity...and I guess it's not so much negativity as much as perhaps my body trying to tell me something. I know I couldn't just wean because of a weird feeling, esp. when my boy is not ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
RRL tea is considered very safe in all stages of pregnancy- generally speaking.
Generally speaking, yes, it's not necessarily that it's bad, it just could be bad with some people.

Also, for those of you drinking the tea...are you drinking just RRL or are there things like Nettles, Alfalfa, Oatstraw, Mint, or Rosehips involved as well? I drink a tea that is any combination of the above herbs...often with a squeeze of lemon and a bit of honey. I mix up the tea so that it doesn't get boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
Does anyone have advice for nipple soreness? Everytime dd latches on, it pinches. It's getting worse.
I was talking to my mw yesterday and she recommended drinking at least a gallon of water each day to help with nipple soreness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Makes_5 View Post
I can't really tell how my supply is doing. I don't really feel let-down after infancy (never have), and he doesn't seem to be having any frustration at the breast, so I just don't know yet. When does supply start to be affected by pregnancy?
I've never had that let down feeling...not once; however, I always seem to have milk in great supply.

My doc told me to expect a possible supply decrease sometime in the 2nd trimester.

User Tag List