Weekly Chit Chat 3/23 - 3/29 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 120 Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccrunchymama View Post

I had my NT US today. I got to see my beautiful baby dancing and bouncing. It was a great morale booster. I can't feel it yet, but it's doing everything it should.
Yay! So glad to hear it went well!! I was thinkin' about ya.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#62 of 120 Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 PM

JC Penney's has a post-partum belly thingamajig here. $20 seems reasonable.

I am so so glad to hear that you folks also have a weird poochy upper belly thing going on. I didn't stop to think it was my innards being rearranged, I guess because I didn't think it happened this early. Makes sense though.

neveryoumindthere, how very frustrating. I really hope things go better tomorrow for you. Did she say why she cancelled?

Baby Cakes, glad you had a really great birthday! It sounds wonderful.

As for me, I've just been quietly gestating. Haven't even made my first official midwife appointment. Got yelled at by a coworker (mom of 3) today - she couldn't believe I hadn't been to the doctor yet. I asked her "And what, exactly, are they going to do?" She said they would give me prenatals. I told her those come over the counter too (we work in a pharmacy). She asked if I wasn't curious about when I was due. I told her I knew when I ovulated so I already knew that. I think that one threw her for a loop. I should have told her that I'm not planning on seeing a doctor at all, but instead midwives, and see just how far up her face her eyebrows would go.
#63 of 120 Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM

That's the one I have. It's comfy and soft.
#64 of 120 Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Lol what I love is how incredibly skinny the models for those things are... like that's what women look like post partum lol. I think I will get that one though... $20 is definitely reasonable!

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#65 of 120 Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Check ebay too! That's one of those things lots of people buy and few use. I think it'll have major benefits if I really stick with it.
#66 of 120 Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
Wow that is rediculous! And induction at 41 weeks!? I though most ppl would "let you" go to 42 weeks! If I go past my date I swear I am just gonna have a UC cuz I am not gonna be induced. I have heard horror stories about how painful it can be! Good luck and I hope the center is still wonderful for you!
They used to go to 42 weeks when I had ds there, then the new backing docs came in because the other, more laid-back docs, felt the liability was too much.

I might have some leeway should dc go over 40....I gave them a copy of my Ovusoft chart where it's really not clear when I concieved, so that may help IF I go "over," and the mw did say she felt my uterus was around 9 wks. It's one reason why I can't wait for a first sono, just to try and confirm the dates (though I understand of course it's not foolproof but it's at least somewhat close-ish). I'm trying not to stress about it now but I too have heard the painful stories of induction....if a body isn't ready to "go" on it's own, it's just a forced painful ordeal. I could placate them too with offerings of monitoring, etc. I of course have NO IDEA if this will even happen but I'm preparing myself now...I know when I'm tired of being pregnant and if things go over it's possible I could just lower my defenses....but that's where y'all come in hopefully

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#67 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
As for me, I've just been quietly gestating. Haven't even made my first official midwife appointment. Got yelled at by a coworker (mom of 3) today - she couldn't believe I hadn't been to the doctor yet. I asked her "And what, exactly, are they going to do?" She said they would give me prenatals. I told her those come over the counter too (we work in a pharmacy). She asked if I wasn't curious about when I was due. I told her I knew when I ovulated so I already knew that. I think that one threw her for a loop. I should have told her that I'm not planning on seeing a doctor at all, but instead midwives, and see just how far up her face her eyebrows would go.
Too funny! :

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#68 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
I don't know I just can't believe some ppl have the nerve to "tell" others how they should go about being pregnant!!! To me that is heinous and absurd... but that's just me.

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#69 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
Speaking of carseats, Southwest told me my Triumphe wasn't approved and I couldn't use it. Would've been a better flight if he'd been able to sit (and not know he was free, lol). And just a few weeks ago I was looking at it and in huge letters it says, "Approved for use on airplanes" -- now, the idiot at SW told me, "Nope, it's not approved, doesn't say it anyway, and I'm trained to do this." I didn't think twice, you know, she's trained.. haha. Now I know better! If it says it's approved, they can't not let you use it.
from my experience, airlines dont know anything about carseats. i had printed out the NHTSA and FAA regs and had my manual with me. the car seat issue went fine on Delta...the lack of consideration for a preg. woman (yes, i told them) flying with a toddler alone was less than considerate. there will be a letter.

but hey, i didnt get told anythign about nursing.
#70 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 AM

babycakes, happy belated bday.

pls. do tell which great veggie restaurant you went to in NYC. we (baby and I) are going to be there from Thursday until Sunday and I would love to find it.

i lOVE LOVE LOVE my bella bands too. its really cold in New England and i have a lot of lined pants that i have still been able to wear b/c of the bella band! yeh!

our flight was basically uneventful, although Delta didnt make it easy. They dont allow preboarding for small children. yeh, thats a letter im going to be writing.

our transportation service from the airport to the car dealership completely well....was horrible...so baby and I are in a nice hotel courtesy of the dealrship! yeh!!! this is much nicer than what i woudl have paid for! lol!

we drive today..and drive and drive and drive.....hopefully we can make it to VA. today (we are in Columbus Ga. now).

oh, and my stomach is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!

did i mention my MW agrees that my uterus seems rather large. this is causing me a bit of anxiety now b/c we werent doing an u/s until 38 weeks...now though....i don't know.....w/ twins, its tempting to find out.
#71 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
Here are the measurements of my Bella Band. It's a Size One, which is intended for pre-pregnancy sizes 0-6/8, if I remember correctly.

Height: 11 1/4"
Width: 13 1/4" (lying flat) 27" (all the way around)
Hem 1: 1 1/2"
Hem 2: 1/2" (one of my bands uses lace here and it's really cute)

Fabric is 84% Nylon and 16% Spandex

Hope that's helpful information!
Thank you!!!
#72 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
Hey Stephanie -
I am (was?)a 2, so I can measure my band for you when I get home tonight (if I don't fall asleep right away!). They are definitely spandexy.

I thought I'd share these links with you, as they may prove helpful when you make yours:
http://www.littlerinch.com/?p=33 This is a DIY for making a Bella Band from some really tight stretchy t-shirts. I personally don't have any t-shirts that would work for that, but I do have some tight and stretchy camis and tanks. I might try this out myself.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=641785 Here's a thread from mothering.com where there is a bit of discussion about homemade Bella Bands.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Thank you for the links!!!
#73 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
from my experience, airlines dont know anything about carseats. i had printed out the NHTSA and FAA regs and had my manual with me. the car seat issue went fine on Delta...the lack of consideration for a preg. woman (yes, i told them) flying with a toddler alone was less than considerate. there will be a letter.

but hey, i didnt get told anythign about nursing.
Sorry they were buttheads I've never gotten any comment for nursing on a plane, and I'm not exactly discreet as ds hated to have his head covered.. I got a couple comments from two different old ladies though, "Aww, he nursed right through, didn't he?" I personally, don't care if anyone knows/sees. My boobs are for nursin'! I've been ready for a nasty comment, and never got one, darn it! Not even when walking through the mall or Walmart nursing.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#74 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

^ LoL that is the same here. DS *will not* have his head covered with a blanket while nursing. And nobody on the plane ever said anything to me. The only really awkward thing (where I actually had to kinda force DS/my boob to be covered) is I was nursing while everybody was boarding and it wasn't assigned seats. Some creepy guy sat right next to me and preceded to chat me up while I was nursing and kept looking at me... there. I felt violated ::shudders:: Then when I had to nurse again during the flight I got up and did it in the restroom because this guy would just *not* go to sleep!

#75 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
babycakes, happy belated bday.

pls. do tell which great veggie restaurant you went to in NYC. we (baby and I) are going to be there from Thursday until Sunday and I would love to find it.
Thank you! The restaurant is called Candle 79, and it's on 79th and Lexington. Go, you won't regret it.

Another day, ladies. I feel congested but otherwise fine. No nausea this morning, woo hoo! Could it have been the 3 oreos with soymilk I had for breakfast, lol? Maybe that's the magic concoction that staves off m/s? LOL!

I have an appointment tonight with my midwife, nothing too exciting, probably just going to pee in a cup and stuff. They said they might measure me. No u/s until Friday. I'm looking forward to that!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#76 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Oh gahhhh....my hormones are a-changing.....I've barfed twice today! I just wanna go home *whine*

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#77 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I don't know I just can't believe some ppl have the nerve to "tell" others how they should go about being pregnant!!! To me that is heinous and absurd... but that's just me.
Yup! Actually, I'm kinda amused by it all. Especially another technician (who doesn't have kids) who also keeps asking me if I've been to the doctor, and if I've got any pregnancy books yet, etc. etc. She also has been keeping a close eye on what I eat there. One day she lamented that I shouldn't be getting weight watchers frozen food (I'm thin already - but turkey sounded good!) 'cause it's not high enough in fat, but didn't say a word about the Mountain Dew I was also buying. Hee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
Oh gahhhh....my hormones are a-changing.....I've barfed twice today! I just wanna go home *whine*
Oooof. Yuck yuck yuck. So far I've managed to avoid puking at work, for which I am beyond grateful. Sorry the hormones have not been as kind to you.
#78 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM

I just heard the funniest story from my friend. She was in Walmart late at night and saw this very short woman. Her boobs just barely reached past the handle of the shopping cart, and they were HUGE! She also had a baby way too tiny for the cart sitting slumped over. Now here is the funny part... she was breastfeeding as she walked through the store!! I'm all for BIP but I always pictured doing it while baby is in a sling. Not while walking through Walmart with my boob propped up on the handle of the shopping cart and poor baby slumped over just sucking away.

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#79 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 PM

Well, had my midwife appt today. She drew some blood for another antibody test. Last appt's bloodwork showed that I had antibodies to the baby so we have to monitor now to make sure it doesn't go up. If it shows it went up in today's results, then I have to start monitoring every week and if it reaches a certain point (1:8..right now it's 1:1) I have to transfer care to an OB. As far as I understand, this will mean a blood transfusion for the baby in utero. I'm praying everything is Ok. Even though this is kinda scary, honestly, my intuition is saying that everything is fine. I"m not worried.

In other news, I found out yesterday I'm celiac Yaay! I feel so vindicated! I've been sure something was wrong for a long time. And soon I will be recieving my saliva test results for my adrenals and thyroid. I'm so happy I finally got the kick I needed to run the tests I need.

anyway that's all..hope everyone else is doing great.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#80 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
I just heard the funniest story from my friend. She was in Walmart late at night and saw this very short woman. Her boobs just barely reached past the handle of the shopping cart, and they were HUGE! She also had a baby way too tiny for the cart sitting slumped over. Now here is the funny part... she was breastfeeding as she walked through the store!! I'm all for BIP but I always pictured doing it while baby is in a sling. Not while walking through Walmart with my boob propped up on the handle of the shopping cart and poor baby slumped over just sucking away.
LoL I saw a similar situation at Ross! It just kinda made me chuckle.

#81 of 120 Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Neveryoumindthere: glad you got your appointment after all, that does sound very annoying. I know certain practices can charge $40 or so for not canceling an appt., I think they should pay you if they cancel on their end.

Re inducing labor at 41 weeks: I went to 42 weeks (and went into labor on my own) so I would be very wary of a practice that insisted on 41. Even the OB practice I considered using for this preg. said they would "let" me go to 42 weeks, though they "offered" it at 41.

Re the breastfeeding at Walmart, that sounds really weird. That is probably the least hygenic way one could possibly breastfeed!
#82 of 120 Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 AM

While I don't shop at WalMart, that lady could've been me, LOL! I've so done that on a number of occasions. Of course I always have my babe on a cart seat cover...don't think I'd have my bare boob resting on an icky cart handle. I actually had to resort to nursing like this when my dd refused to nurse in the sling. I'm sure I was a sight!

Well, I saw my mw today for our first official appt. It was pretty laid back. We basically discussed the game plan if I'm carrying twins. She seemed to think the possibility was pretty great, too. I've already gained close to 10lbs: and my uterus is where one would expect to find it at 15-16 weeks. It was funny the look of surprise she got on her face as she was palpating! My hemoglobin has gone down a bit since the beginning of pregnancy despite little change in my diet. We didn't listen to the babe(s) b/c I heard the HB the other night at work and I knew all was well. I kind of wanted dh to hear it, too but my mw convinced me to go get an u/s to rule out twins so we'll see it soon enough. Anyway, although it was good to see my mw, I have mixed feelings about it all. With my history of pp bleeding I wouldn't be a good candidate for HB with twins. I would be so sad to have to birth anywhere but at home. I wasn't going to have an u/s til 18 weeks but now I think I'll need the extra 6-7 weeks I'd have if I found out now to prepare myself if it is indeed twins. I just have so many "symptoms" and honestly I'd be shocked if there was just one.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#83 of 120 Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthdancedoula View Post
Well, I saw my mw today for our first official appt. It was pretty laid back. We basically discussed the game plan if I'm carrying twins. She seemed to think the possibility was pretty great, too. I've already gained close to 10lbs: and my uterus is where one would expect to find it at 15-16 weeks. It was funny the look of surprise she got on her face as she was palpating! My hemoglobin has gone down a bit since the beginning of pregnancy despite little change in my diet. We didn't listen to the babe(s) b/c I heard the HB the other night at work and I knew all was well. I kind of wanted dh to hear it, too but my mw convinced me to go get an u/s to rule out twins so we'll see it soon enough. Anyway, although it was good to see my mw, I have mixed feelings about it all. With my history of pp bleeding I wouldn't be a good candidate for HB with twins. I would be so sad to have to birth anywhere but at home. I wasn't going to have an u/s til 18 weeks but now I think I'll need the extra 6-7 weeks I'd have if I found out now to prepare myself if it is indeed twins. I just have so many "symptoms" and honestly I'd be shocked if there was just one.
Okay, so when's the appointment so we can all wait with baited breath until you post the results??! How exciting and nerve-wracking all at the same time.

AAM: I'll be 9 weeks tomorrow and I'm still dealing with daily exhaustion and nausea. My appetite is practically nil, I have to force myself to eat. I can't stand the prenatals anymore, so I make sure I eat a bowl of cereal every day to at least get my folic acid. I have discovered that Chick-fil-A lemonade is *just* the right combination of sweet and sour to give me a little break from the nausea. That's actually quite a relief. Too bad it's making the heartburn kick in, but I guess I can't have it all!

I've started ordering fabric to make some cloth dipes and the fleece lining I picked out is SO incredibly soft! I cut out all of my cloth wipes and I just have to serge the edges. I may be exhausted, but it's nice to feel like I'm accomplishing something. 'Cause it sure isn't cleaning the house. I need to beg DH to clean the toilets today - DS has terrible aim, regardless if he stands or sits! I usually clean them at least twice a week, but it's been a while longer than that now and they look nasty. Toilets are the one thing I keep bleach in the house to clean. Gross.

OH! DS got his cast off and his pins out! He can't extend his arm completely yet, but the surgeon is hopeful. It was a very, very bad break, such a freak accident. He couldn't get it perfect and there was some rotation of the bone, but he thinks as DS grows, it will correct itself. I sure hope so. We'll start PT next week if he's still really struggling with range of motion. Poor little guy, he has at least another 6 weeks before he can ride a bike. No 'risky' activities (AKA no doing anything that might re-break the arm!) until his next x-ray, Thank goodness for swimming pools! Guess I'd better get that mat swimsuit soon...
#84 of 120 Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well as much as I was ranting about my house/DH yesterday, I got a lot done and it feels good! I will be trying to get lots more done today, like finishing packing our books and dropping off the donation stuff at SAMS place regardless if they decide to show up or not (I have tried to drop this stuff off for two weeks and they haven't been there one day. ahhh, so is life) and get all our movies together in the case. Thankfully DHs dad and cousin will be coming a day earlier than mil and sil. the boys in his family are always really cool and *not* judgmental whiile you can just see that look of disgust on the women's faces if *anything* is not as it should be...

Well, saying that I am in my 2nd tri is awesome but I wish I felt that way. Still have lots of food aversions and nausea and m/s... doesn't seem to be easing up anymore but I have faith that it will soon! I hope that all other mama's in here are starting to get some relief though

Ohhh, and birthdancedoula!!!! Keep us updated! We *all* wanna know if you have two beans in there

#85 of 120 Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 AM

BDD_ I was sure I had twins too. I hope it's whatever you're hoping for. Good luck!
#86 of 120 Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM

I've been feeling good for 3 days in a row now! Only very, very mild nausea in the early a.m. and that's it! My energy is better too. I'll be 11wks tomorrow and anxiously waiting for 13wks when I can feel safer about this pregnancy!

I haven't had a chance to catch up on all the posts on this thread so I hope everyone is doing great and feeling better!
#87 of 120 Old 03-27-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

^ I hope the sickness really is gone for you Tara!!!

#88 of 120 Old 03-27-2008, 11:41 AM

Ooooo BDD, I'm so excited for you!! Can't wait to here if it's two!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#89 of 120 Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
^ I hope the sickness really is gone for you Tara!!!
I had 3 really good days over the weekend and then felt awful on Mon so it's entirely possible that I'll feel terrible tomorrow. I'm planning to get lots of sleep today and be sure to stay hydrated and eat some substance. Hopefully that will keep it away! Either way, 3 good days in a row is WAY better than what it has been!
#90 of 120 Old 03-27-2008, 01:04 PM

Tara, I was two days off and two days on for awhile with the nausea. Now it seems to be like 3-4 day stretches of feeling absolutely wonderful with a huge appetite, and then like, one day of miserable-ness. You're definitely breaking through!

So after my debacle with my midwife, I'm feeling much better about the situation. Finding a midwife to do a homebirth might be more of a challenge. I'm not sure how far away I want to travel, how far I want them to travel, all I know is that I am running fast and hard away from the one I've been seeing! That being said, I'm going to keep a food journal just to make sure I'm eating healthy and eating enough.

BDD - when will you find out if it's twins??! How exciting!!

Triple - I know how you feel - being in the 2nd trimester is great, but I'm also still looking foward to feeling better physically, too. I'd love to not have so many food aversions. Although my energy has perked up a bit, which is a bonus.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page