Do you eat tuna? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I read somewhere pregnant women can eat 6 oz. a week. But, is is really safe? I just love the stuff and it is a good protein source for me since I eat no beef, pork or dairy. I am not really into chicken but I will eat it if I have to. What about canned salmon? Is it safer than tuna or not really? Thanks for the input.

love.gifSara, mom to J (10/06) H (10/08) and E (5/11) love.gif

#2 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 06:14 PM

I dont eat canned tuna or salmon. I think wild salmon is better than farm raised but no way would I eat 6 oz a week. I'd check but some cans are lined with BPA containing coating so double wammy with mercury and bpa.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 PM

I do eat about a half a can of tuna a week. I read the same info that you did. Just make sure that you are getting the chunk light kind instead of the albacore because it has a lot less mercury. The wild alaskan canned salmon is lower in mercury than tuna, I believe. I eat salmon (only wild alaskan) much more than tuna.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#4 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 06:23 PM

Not very often. Maybe 4 times a year but I don't really love it.
#5 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 07:01 PM

I have had it once since becoming PG.
It kinda grosses me out.
#6 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 07:19 PM

i have had salmon once since getting pregnant...I will eat tuna and or salmon on occasion but that is aobut it.
#7 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 PM

A can of chickpeas mashed with some mayo and green onion tastes ridiculously like tuna. Great alternative if you want to cut back or just not eat it. You can also mix it up with elbow macaroni (increase the mayo a bit) and add red and green diced peppers and make "tuna" macaroni salad. Sometimes I even put that on a sandwich!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#8 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 08:19 PM

Not so much. We eat a lot of baked salmon, though.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#9 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 09:03 PM

as someone already mentioned, canned meat/fish has more chemicals in it. If anything I would eat fresh. I have had a tuna steak (not big on canned tuna anymore) once this pregnancy. For the fishies, I usually stick to some tilapia, cod, and shrimp, which has considerably less mercury than tuna (which is a large predator fish) I believe salmon is fine in the mercury dept, but I never really researched it because I am not a big salmon person, but also I would eat fresh salmon, not canned.

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#10 of 26 Old 04-19-2008, 11:20 PM

ok well I eat canned tuna. I like tuna salad. I split one small can (I think those are 6oz?) between the kids and I about once a week or two weeks or so. I have in all of my pregnancies and tuna salad got me through two labors and was my first postpartum meal (served by my midwife lol) two times

My dad made tuna salad for me as a kid and I loved it then, love it now.

Actually, I really love tuna all around, my favorite is spicy tuna rolls from the sushi bar. I don't eat those right now though. I told my hubby I want him to go to the sushi bar as my "thanks for having my baby, lovely wife" postpartum present... lol... Maybe I'm just sad

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#11 of 26 Old 04-20-2008, 08:45 PM

I've had two cans since being PG, but it my first pregnancy I ate it more often, probably 2 cans a month. Do you do eggs? They're certainly a geat protein source, too.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#12 of 26 Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 PM

I don't eat it at all but I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to what I'm putting in my body. I've been told by my doula that a single serving a week is pretty safe but I think it's one of those things that's a personal choice. Kind of like whether or not you think the occasional glass of wine is ok.
#13 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 12:38 AM

Tuna is gross.
#14 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 AM

I craved tuna fish sandwiches at first. I tried a canned salmon sandwich but it tasted awful so that fixed that craving. And I haven't had tuna yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
A can of chickpeas mashed with some mayo and green onion tastes ridiculously like tuna. Great alternative if you want to cut back or just not eat it. You can also mix it up with elbow macaroni (increase the mayo a bit) and add red and green diced peppers and make "tuna" macaroni salad. Sometimes I even put that on a sandwich!
This sounds so yummy. I'm going to have to try this!

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#15 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
ok well I eat canned tuna. I like tuna salad. I split one small can (I think those are 6oz?) between the kids and I about once a week or two weeks or so. I have in all of my pregnancies and tuna salad got me through two labors and was my first postpartum meal (served by my midwife lol) two times

My dad made tuna salad for me as a kid and I loved it then, love it now.

Actually, I really love tuna all around, my favorite is spicy tuna rolls from the sushi bar. I don't eat those right now though. I told my hubby I want him to go to the sushi bar as my "thanks for having my baby, lovely wife" postpartum present... lol... Maybe I'm just sad
Kristen, I'm just like you...we love canned tuna in our house and canned salmon. : I will admit that I really cut back on it during pregnancy though. I believe that anything is okay in moderation!! just listen to your gut...if it says no tuna, then no tuna...

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#16 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 AM

I don't eat tuna ever.
#17 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 AM

I'm not very fond of tuna, but eat it occasionally. I have only eaten it once since I've been pregnant; but I developed an aversion to all fish (among about a dozen other foods) along with my morning sickness and the aversion hasn't gone away yet.
#18 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 01:08 PM

I eat one tuna sandwich a week, but wish I could eat more! I love it (especially in summer). I think I read somewhere (March of Dimes website maybe) that the chunk light tuna is safer than solid white tuna (albacore). I make a salad of cannellini beans, light tuna in oil, red onion, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper...yum (and filling)
#19 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 03:00 PM

I actually love tunafish sandwhiches but while pregnant I avoid it as much as possible.. I think I have had it twice but will not eat it again. The only fish really safe is Wild Salmon.. farmed samon is toxic so you should avoid it as much as possible.

The amount of Mercury in Fish is like a million times lower than a Flu shot. Did you know having the FLU SHOT while pregnant is like eating canned tuna every day of your pregnancy? You wouldn't eat canned tuna EVERY DAY now would you? So.. why would you get the FLU SHOT?? (okay, sorry off the subject, kinda, but just wanted you to know if you didn't already)

If you really love tuna.. I'd personally only eat it once or twice a month..
#20 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2elliots View Post
The amount of Mercury in Fish is like a million times lower than a Flu shot. Did you know having the FLU SHOT while pregnant is like eating canned tuna every day of your pregnancy? You wouldn't eat canned tuna EVERY DAY now would you? So.. why would you get the FLU SHOT?? (okay, sorry off the subject, kinda, but just wanted you to know if you didn't already)
Thank you. I had no idea
I don't feel so bad for having 2 cans of tuna this week. Craving it so bad, especially after reading this thread :
I do have a bag of chickpeas...

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#21 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM

I don't, but I hate tuna anyway.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#22 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 AM

I love tuna! I haven't had any in a while, though. A few months before I got preg, I found small (tuna-size) cans of wild caught Alaska salmon at Costco, and we switched. It's a decent substitute, but the flavor is NOT the same. I've actually been thinking about buying a can or 2 of tuna once in a while anyway. With my 1st preg, I ate tuna about 3 times a month. The main reason we switched is because I read that 1 out of 6 cans of tuna has more mercury than it should and dd likes it, too. I was more concerned about her than me. I'm not completely opposed to eating canned tuna though. Just strongly limiting.

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
#23 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 AM

All of the sudden, tuna sandwiches sound good for lunch. You guys are messing with my head!
#24 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM

I can't do any fish at the moment. I still have food aversions. blah.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#25 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 AM

This was one food I totally craved this time, but the craving has since waned and I don't feel like it anymore. I did cave in one day and had 1/4 of a sandwhich I had made for the kids and dh. I just keep saying "neurotoxin, neurotoxin" to myself and then go eat something else. I think even chunk light canned tuna is much more mercury laden then the companies will admit and isn't safe, even though they say it is, I just don't believe them.
#26 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 PM

I absolutely love tuna and macaroni salad. I've had canned tuna (chunk light) once since getting pregnant, but I've had a couple of tuna sushi rolls (a little tartar, and 2 spicy tuna rolls).

My midwife says it's fine - as long as you're not eating it everyday. Everything in moderation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page