Can we get by without 'maternity' clothes? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 26 Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may be a hilarious newbie question to you mamas out there, but I'd like to think I can go through this pregnancy w/out buying clothes that will =only= be useful while pregnant. Wrap skirts, flowy dresses, stretchy things...

I'm definitely going to have to buy some stuff, but I'm looking for clothes that I can still wear when I get back to my normal size. Has anyone does this or am I on the pipe?

Of course it's already clear to me that this will not work with bras, alas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 04-20-2008, 11:39 PM

I will wish you the best of luck if you try to do this!

This is baby #1 for us too and I'm finding that I look better in maternity clothes because they are more tailored to my changing body than normal clothes. I think you'll find that your regular clothes will become uncomfortable because they aren't shaped correctly and the shirts will be too short for your growing belly and the pants will dig in your tummy even in bigger sizes.

I guess I should add that I tend to be a fairly feminine dresser and my fave store is Ann Taylor Loft. That type of style just doesn't work on me unless I switch to maternity sizes.
#3 of 26 Old 04-20-2008, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
It depends on your size. I would think if you are small to medium build you will need some maternity tops. I think pants are a MUST! I really LOVE maternity pants, I couldn't make it with out them! For me, I can't stand anything tight on my stomach. (I wear them as soon as possible, ie: now).
Also, near the end you will be big and most regular shirts, even long ones, don't cover. I would go to Target and get a few things you like or a second hand store at the least. Unless this will be your only one you can use them again. Also, try to buy stuff you can wear for a while postpartum, it is ok, everyone does it for at least a few weeks-a month.
I also agree with the above poster, it does just look better...and feels so much better!

Mama to an amazing crew of 6!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cd

#4 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 AM

LL Bean has a nice selection of stretchy Perfect Knit pants. I bought them during my last pregnancy in the 2nd trimester and then was able to wear them after the baby. I bought 2 pairs. One stretched out a bunch to where I couldn't wear them after the fact. The other pair stayed great. You can dress these up or down.

I'm on the L size and felt like I still needed to get maternity clothes, especially pants. Skirts not so much. I agree w/ others that the maternity clothes make you look a bit better then just plain loose clothes.

For my 1st pregnancy I bought maternity clothes at Target on the clearance rack. I've been trying to do the Compact committment where you try to buy almost nothing but consumables for a few years now. At the Goodwill stores when I wasn't looking for maternity stuff, just regular clothes, I would see a lot of maternity clothes. I'm lucky to be in the SF Bay area as many people sell used stuff. I can get lots of maternity clothes through mother groups or Craigslist. Garage sales are good for maternity clothes and incredible for baby clothes. I've probably only bought 10% of my baby clothes new.
#5 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 12:35 AM

If you're plus-size you pretty much have no choice but to wear regular clothes in a larger size, and the bigger you get the worse the clothes fit and the worse you feel about yourself at a time when your emotions are fragile anyway.

Invest in some maternity clothes. They're worth it.
#6 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 12:45 AM

i don't know if its realistic to not use any maternity clothes but you can get by with very few maternity clothes. depending on what you already have of course.

if you already wear lots of dresses, skirts, etc

you will probably want a few shirts though.

can you borrow some? or go thrifting/yardsaling?
#7 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 12:48 AM

I've used regular clothes in a larger size in both my previous pregnancies, but I've found that in the third trimester maternity clothes are just more comfy, in general. Especially the bottoms--it's nice to have that wide, stretchy elastic instead of something more narrow rubbing into your belly. Or low rise pants that you're constantly tugging up.

Since tunic-style tops are so popular right now you could probably just get tops at a regular store that would work, but they'll likely be too stretched out for non-pregnancy use later (but they'll work well in the post-partum period). I did this as well.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#8 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 AM

I love my maternity pants! For tops I usually just wear regular shirts from Target. There are a lot of loose t-shirt styles that are quite long and I love the way they look on my belly.

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#9 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 02:43 AM

I would have never made it through the 3rd trimester without my maternity jeans. You can get away with gaucho pants and things that fold over - some low slung pants/jeans and some low or loose waisted skirts. However, with Target and Motherhood, maternity clothes tend to be pretty affordable. I really like the coverage that maternity tops offer - I don't like the shirts riding up in the front. By the third trimester I had outgrown some of my maternity clothes from the first and second trimesters, so I would have definitely outgrown any non-maternity clothes. The good news is you can pass them on or use them again with other pregnancies.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#10 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 04:22 AM

last pregnancy, i didn't buy any maternity clothes. i wore all of my jeans, and shorts (inbottoned of course) and but a belly band on top. i also bought the tunic tops in size medium (i'm normally a small) and they fit the whole time. I wore lots of flowy skirts and dresses that I already had and just made it work!! It all depends how you gain weight though...i only gained in my belly and all of my pants are really low rise anyway....but it's doable!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#11 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 05:50 AM

Not in your DDC, but I'm due in about 3 weeks. I didn't buy any maternity clothes this pregnancy (had 2 pairs of jeans leftover & a few shirts from the first) and I am desperate for something to wear. I hate to buy anything now that it's so late in the game, but I have been wearing the same two outfits now for the past month. Even DH's clothes don't fit over my belly anymore!

Try checking out ebay for some good deals!
#12 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 AM

I know I personally couldn't make it all the way through without maternity clothes. You probably could if you are very resourceful though.

I love being comfy and honestly for me, I didn't want to see those clothes again after I was done being pregnant. I would think most regular tops/dresses would get too stretched out to be of any real use after pregnancy except in the PP period.
#13 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 AM

I got by, especailly in the summer, with little to now real maternity wear, except the last 6 weeks.
#14 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 AM

I was just out shopping yesterday and I couldn't help but notice that the style this season is 90% empire waisted tops & dresses, which is great because I can just wear what everyone else is wearing but have a belly filling up more of it!

I agree on the maternity pants, they are sooo comfortable.

Also: If you like to E-bay, look up maternity "lots" basically you just find a woman who is the same size as you, and you buy her entire wardrobe of clothes. I bought 2 "lots" and got 25 pants, 9shorts, 5 dresses, several brand new nursing bras, and about 30 tops for $80 (including shipping)

Best of luck!
#15 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 AM

you can do it, depending on your lifestyle. last pregnancy i bought very little and what i did buy, i didnt really like.

since i quit working when i got pregnant last time, i didnt have to worry about wearing suits so much (which really was horrible w/ ds2 b/c pregnancy suits are made so cheaply..even the expensive ones)....

yoga pants...worn under the belly
large tshirts
nursing shirts with a button down on top (you need the nursing shirt later anyway..im talking tank here)

i have been showing since 6 weeks or so this pregnancy so im starting to get pretty creative w/ clothing.

There are lots of places that make elastic pants and sweat pants are sometimes pretty stylish (LLBean, etc. etc.).

I think the last month or so the shirts get too short no matter what.

I have basically 2 outfits to go out in...and the rest is all about comfort. I refuse to spend $$ on somethign that I will never use again.
#16 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
'm definitely going to have to buy some stuff, but I'm looking for clothes that I can still wear when I get back to my normal size. Has anyone does this or am I on the pipe?
my experience with this is anything I wore either got stretched out and then was not flattering after anyway or the idea of wearing what I was wearing while pregnant turned me off...cuz I thought it made me look pregnant afterwards and who wants that after you have a baby....lol
#17 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Right now I'm wearing very little in the way of maternity stuff. Today I'm wearing an empire waist shirt (I bought a bunch of them cheap at Kohl's, and they're cute and in my size, so I'll be wearing them after I have the baby) and some pants in my size that I found at wal-mart with a cotton waist band. They will also fit after I have the baby. I love that tunics and empire waist stuff is in style this time around! I feel like I'll get some use out of it later. I hate maternity clothes, they just don't fit me right. I'll have to give in and wear them eventually though.:
#18 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 PM

*I* couldn't go without maternity clothes unless I wanted to look like I was headed to the gym every day for the next 6 months. I wear some non-maternity still but it's all work out clothes and pajamas with the exception of few non maternity shirts I bought when TTC. They look like they could be maternity but now that I have a belly, clearly aren't. They'll be good postpartum.
#19 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 01:25 PM

What I was trying to say before, but my fussy nursing toddler was no help was...

For summer last time gaucho pants worn below my belly, and non maternity tank tops worked, along with a few empire wasited tops and some strechy dresses worked until the last six weeks. Then nothing would really cover my belly excpet maternity clothes but for pregnancy. At that point I was glad I had bouht a few things. Also it seem to be harder to make it work in winter, non matenrity elastic wasited pants are not teribly flattering on me. SO I have already bought a few pairs of last winter's maternity pants on sale and am holding them over for this sept/oct when I ahve to put the good ole' gauchos away.
#20 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM

Not in your DDC, but found this in a search for something else...

During my first pregnancy, I had very few pieces of actual maternity clothes. I did pretty well wearing long tunics, elastic-waist hippie skirts, and shorts that were a few sizes bigger than normal. I managed to make do with very low-waist jeans until it got too warm to wear them. I wore a regular bikini. I also liked finding cute sundresses at Goodwill and cutting off the bottom to make a DIY maternity top with a matching strip to use as a headband. Now that I think about it, some of my favorite pieces were non-maternity, and jus thappened to be stretchy enough or long enough to work well.

Granted, I was younger then and pretty small. I am still small this time but my belly is MUCH bigger. I was wearing maternity jeans at only 10 weeks!

You certainly CAN make it work, and if you do, more power to ya! Not everyone can do it, but it's possible.
#21 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM

I didn't buy ANY maternity clothes while I was pregnant with my first.. just a bella Band (black elastic belt looking thing) that goes over your regular jeans, you leave the buttons/zipper open. And there were plenty of flowing tops and dresses that I fit into in the regular stores I shop in. I found I didn't need them.. and I gained 40 lbs BUT I was also 116 and 5'9 when I first got pregnant and so I guess that wouldn't work in most womens cases.. but if you are a skinny minny than you can just but regular clothes and use the bella bands with you jeans and you'll be good to go!
#22 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
We didn't have a lot of cash when I was pregnant with my first, so I had a lot of hand-me-down maternity clothes, but mostly I made do with regular clothes. frankly, it sucked. They didn't fit right, and the things I wore in month 8, 9, got so stretched out they were pretty much useless after the baby was born. This time I'm determined I'm going to have a kickass maternity wardrobe! Just because I couldn't afford to last time, but this time I can, if I'm careful. Also I need to have some nice stuff for work, since this time I'm working and not a poor grad student! I'm looking at Ebay lots (have gotten some amazing deals already), and I have a bit of money set aside to spend on myself. I'm buying a lot of second hand stuff, but I'm being fairly picky.

If you can make it work for you, more power to you - but never underestimate the power of a really nice outfit to pick you up! I remember with DD in month 8 I splurged on a brand new maternity shirt and pair of jeans, and then wore the HECK out of them for the rest of my pregnancy, because they just fit so well and made me feel so much better about my pregnant body.
#23 of 26 Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maternity clothes just look so much better when you're wearing them. Regular clothes in larger sizes etc. just look sort of weird and they don't fit right. For the last couple months of the pregnancy, your belly gets huge and regular clothes just won't fit right at all. If you're feeling like a whale, you might as well be a cute whale, kwim?

Lots of people seem to like Bella Bands, to keep wearing regular pants as long as possible.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#24 of 26 Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM

I worked in a daycare last preg. so I didn't really have to dress up. I just tie dyed some wife beaters ( they are really long) and wore larger sized tank tops and yoga pants. Not the most fashionable but very comfy.

love.gifSara, mom to J (10/06) H (10/08) and E (5/11) love.gif

#25 of 26 Old 08-19-2015, 10:59 PM

Maternity clothes to be in use afterwards

Very nice question. It is better whenever you will buy maternity clothes it should be fashionable, so that it can be used after its fitting afterwards and for this you must have some well known professional ladies tailor.
#26 of 26 Old 09-17-2015, 09:51 PM

Regarding Maternity Clothes

You are right in your thinking, therefore you must have such collection of maternity clothes, which can also be used afterwards by due alteration.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page