Have you read Pushed? the business of being born? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just wondering how many here have read Pushed? or seen the DVD the Business of Being Born?

in case you havent heard about it, it is sold on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Pushed-Painful...9382503&sr=8-1
#2 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 AM

I have the DVD. I just haven't opened it yet.
#3 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM

I've seen the movie and read the book. We had a big community screening here which I helped to plan and Jennifer Block, author of Pushed, was supposed to be here for it but then had to cancel due to a death in her family. We are still hoping to bring her back at some point.
#4 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 AM

I loved the movie - rented it on Netflix and watched it 3 times - once by myself, once with my husband, and once with my 13 year old step-daughter. I highly recommend it to everyone who is pregnant and considering homebirth. We decided on homebirth right from the beginning when I found out I was pregnant, but the movie only reinforced every beautiful thing I already knew about the process.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#5 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 10:41 AM

I watched it with my husband. It was instrumental in helping him understand why I feel so strongly about natural childbirth. Loved it.
#6 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM

I haven't watched the dvd or rented the book......yet. But I really want to.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#7 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 AM

I have watched the movie but haven't read the book yet....I went to a screening for the movie but hope to rent it so dh can see it and help him understand homebirth a bit more.
#8 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM

I read Pushed right about the time we started TTC so I guess that was early this past fall. I haven't seen Business of Being Born yet but I have a copy reserved on their website that I should be receiving in May sometime. I think it'll be good for DH but from the reviews I've heard, it won't really give me new information or shock me.

ETA: Pushed was awesome. It was like a modern "Immaculate Deception" (also awesome!). I highly recommend. It has some parts that will really infuriate you (it makes you want to demand change in our world) and then some that will make you laugh and some you'll cry. It's a fantastic read. A lot of it was enlightening for me since I was still new to the mistakes the medical world is making in maternal-fetal care when I read it.
#9 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 12:20 PM

I've read the book and seen the movie. I also recommended the movie to mine and DH's families to watch so they would hopefully understand a little more why we decided to plan a homebirth. My brother even watched it and he called me up the next day just going on and on about it. He's no feminist but was all about the woman power that day

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#10 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 PM

buying the dvd asap...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#11 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscat View Post
I watched it with my husband. It was instrumental in helping him understand why I feel so strongly about natural childbirth. Loved it.
Us, too. After we watched it, he said, "Wow, that makes sense now." I think that he thought I was going through some weird hippy phase before he saw the movie.
#12 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 PM

^Exactly. DH thinks I need to trust doctors more since they're "here to help me and our baby be safe and healthy". Ugh. Hopefully he'll feel as enlightened as the rest of your DH's when we finally watch it.
#13 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 03:11 PM

i saw the movie, and i really loved it. the births are just so awesome to behold. the ignorant commentary by MDs who have never personally witnessed a homebirth (and therefore have no idea what they're talking about) were not very surprising, but still scary to witness.

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
#14 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM

I haven't read Pushed, but I am avoiding it right now so that I don't get angry I saw the Business of Being Born - excellent! I get several inquiries about Bradley classes because of the popularity of that movie.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#15 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
just wondering how many here have read Pushed? or seen the DVD the Business of Being Born?
No and No, but they are both on my wish list on Amazon.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#16 of 27 Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM

yes and yes They are both great resources for truth about birth in the US! Great for first timers for sure!
#17 of 27 Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Badger View Post
yes and yes They are both great resources for truth about birth in the US! Great for first timers for sure!
my sentiments exactly. while i think the DVD is great, Pushed is a huge eye opener and being a book, of course packed w/ so much more information.

i think i kind of recommend the book to women and the DVD BOBB to the dh's. lol!
#18 of 27 Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 PM

I just saw the movie tonight. I didn't really learn anything because of all the reading I did during my last pregnancy but I want to watch it again with DH. I think it would be a real eye opener for him and would make him understand why I feel so strongly about having a natural birth. He won't read any of the books I've read.
#19 of 27 Old 05-17-2008, 10:38 AM

I have watched the movie. I didn't bother to get DH to watch it, because honestly I know it wouldn't change his mind any. Although maybe I'm not giving him enough credit. I think the actual birth footage would put him off, cause he just doesn't have any patience for things like that. Probably for him just the statistics alone would have more effect--I'll need to have a look at the website, see if that information is there. I haven't read the book, although I think I might see if the library has it.
#20 of 27 Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 PM

Yes, The Business of Being Born really brought dh around to home birth for this one instead of a repeat C. I thought my in-laws were nay-sayers, but they talked to their midwife-friendly OB friend and came around on their own without watching the movie!
#21 of 27 Old 05-18-2008, 02:54 AM

I really want to read Pushed, but don't like buying books (they are too addictive for me) and our library doesn't have it. I need do an interlibrary loan soon.
I LOVED the movie, just like a PP, I am trying to get my parents to watch it to understand why we are doing what we are doing. They don't say anything negative, but I know what they are thinking, because they do not talk about it. I am recommending this movie to everyone I know.
#22 of 27 Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 PM

i absolutely loved BOBB for educating the family.

i am desperate to find out, though, if the MDs in the film saw it afterwards or were affected/educated at all after their involvement. am i the only one who is curious?
#23 of 27 Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM

My big question is should I even attempt to watch/read? I wanted to home birth, but since I've had a previous c-section I have to birth in a hospital (thanks to state laws here). I'm not sure since I have to do a hospital birth if I should watch/read and chance on freaking myself out over what's in them.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#24 of 27 Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post
My big question is should I even attempt to watch/read? I wanted to home birth, but since I've had a previous c-section I have to birth in a hospital (thanks to state laws here). I'm not sure since I have to do a hospital birth if I should watch/read and chance on freaking myself out over what's in them.
I don't know about Pushed, I haven't read it, but yes, you could watch Business of Being Born. It certainly has given me a clearer idea of what I want to avoid, and what I want to put in my birth plan. I am planning a hospital VBAC with midwive and doctor. I found myself jotting down notes when watching BoBB, so that I'd remember things to discuss with doctor or midwife at my next appointment.
#25 of 27 Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post
yeh, thats what my state said too (ive had 2 c/s's). but i still found a MW to attend me b/c there is no way im birthing in a hospital again.

i think they are great resources even for those who are OK birthing in a hospital. Knowlege is power and all that.
#26 of 27 Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCindy View Post
I really want to read Pushed, but don't like buying books (they are too addictive for me) and our library doesn't have it. I need do an interlibrary loan soon.
I LOVED the movie, just like a PP, I am trying to get my parents to watch it to understand why we are doing what we are doing. They don't say anything negative, but I know what they are thinking, because they do not talk about it. I am recommending this movie to everyone I know.
this book is really really worth it. i have a book addiction that i am trying to keep a handle on too so i know how it is but this book is worth every cent.
#27 of 27 Old 05-19-2008, 06:19 PM

I still haven't gotten the book yet (and I'm almost afraid to, as I'm sure it will infuriate me, like The Immaculate Deception II did) but I did see TBOBB, and we watched it with a couple whose 2nd child was a homebirth. And I thought it was amazing and awesome, and the couple enjoyed it as well. My husband....is a funny guy. He liked the Monty Python (I think it was MP anyway) parts. He's very laid back and dosn't really care about most things parenting or birthing (or researching either of those topics as well : and I don't know if he took anything away. I consider myself to be a thinking person and before and after ds was born I researched anything and everything related to birthing, pregnancy, and parenting and I frankly don't understand how anyone can watch this movie and NOT be angry with the mainstream medical system and how it approaches normal pregnancies and deliveries, regardless whether a homebirth is wanted or not. I wanted to show him something that was important to me...but I don't think I got through, as usual

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page