Weekly Chit Chat Thread 4/27-5/4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time yet again for a new thread!

Have a wonderful week ladies and happy baby-growing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll post first.

I have colostrum!!!! I'm so excited but I feel rediculous for being so excited about having liquid leaking from my bewbies! I really didn't expect it this early. It doesn't leak on it's own quite yet but if I give a very gentle push I get several drops of it. Hooray for working bewbies!

We bought baby bedding this weekend too! We're trying to pick paint colors for the nursery now. I imagine we'll start painting in the next couple of weeks. We're doing a lot of home improvement right now like new blinds, new large appliances, new lighting fixtures, etc.

I had the best dream last night about our baby. I dreamt that it was our first day home and it was just me, DH, and my Mom. I felt completely normal, physically so I know the birth had to have been very natural and peaceful. Baby had lots of hair but it wasn't dark like mine, it was lighter with a red tint. DH has a lot of red in his hair but isn't a full red head and has lots of red in his family. He was so little, much smaller than I actually think he'll be. Also, it was a boy, just like my gut feeling. I was calling him Alexander and nursing him and he was actually getting milk. I felt so proud in my dream.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
I had the best dream last night about our baby. I dreamt that it was our first day home and it was just me, DH, and my Mom. I felt completely normal, physically so I know the birth had to have been very natural and peaceful. Baby had lots of hair but it wasn't dark like mine, it was lighter with a red tint. DH has a lot of red in his hair but isn't a full red head and has lots of red in his family. He was so little, much smaller than I actually think he'll be. Also, it was a boy, just like my gut feeling. I was calling him Alexander and nursing him and he was actually getting milk. I felt so proud in my dream.
Hi EDD Buddy!
That is a beautiful dream. That's a sign of very good things!

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
Old 04-28-2008, 12:36 PM

What a sweet dream! I doubt I have any colostrum yet but DS just quit nursing a few weeks ago.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

^I need help visualizing your u/s pic. Normally I'm really good at knowing what I'm seeing but I'm lost!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I have colostrum!!!! I'm so excited but I feel rediculous for being so excited about having liquid leaking from my bewbies! I really didn't expect it this early. It doesn't leak on it's own quite yet but if I give a very gentle push I get several drops of it. Hooray for working bewbies!

We bought baby bedding this weekend too! We're trying to pick paint colors for the nursery now. I imagine we'll start painting in the next couple of weeks. We're doing a lot of home improvement right now like new blinds, new large appliances, new lighting fixtures, etc.
I'm jealous! I keep checking my boobs for leakage and I've got nothing yet! That's awesome!

Hooray for bedding! What kind did you pick out? I am in love with the classic Winnie the Pooh stuff, but I have a feeling I love it b/c it's gender neutral. Once we find out the gender, I wonder if I'll lean one way or another. I mean, I'm not going to pick out butterflies or trucks, but I might "lean" towards one or the other, ykwim?

Also, I'm a jerk and I updated last weeks weekly thread! I'm so oblivious sometimes! Go read it!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 04-28-2008, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Haha Babycakes! I read the other one already! I almost C&P'd it into this thread so no one would miss it!

That's so funny you mention Classic Pooh....that's exactly what we got! We're doing Disney in the nursery because my Mom is an artist and did a few paintings when I was a baby for my room that she kept for me and they're hanging up already. We had a Classic Pooh one from Target picked out and a modern Pooh from Nebraska Furniture Mart picked out that we were deciding between. The deciding factor ended up being cost. The modern Pooh set was $179!!! I just couldn't justify that much even though it was the cutest bedding I'd ever seen. The one we got was only $69. My Mom is going to do another painting or 2 for me to add to this room so I need to decide which characters I want, gender neutral. I'm thinking Nemo, Monsters Inc, Fox and the Hound, Jungle Book, Peter Pan. I'm not sure! My Mom wants to do a mural but I want something that we won't have to eventually paint over! I want something to keep!

My Mom's portrait website

There are several portraits of me on there including when I was little....can you find them?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 PM

Ok- On the left side is his back and bottom. On the right is just feet. THe little pointy white thing in the middle is his little boy parts... I think. Don't we have an ultrasound tech around here? I was easier to know what I was seeing while she was pointing at it and telling me.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I guess I'll post first.

You should post a pic of your baby bedding! I love seeing what other people are picking since I have absolutely no idea what I want yet. Great baby dream, too. I haven't had any baby dreams since I got pregnant. I had tons of baby dreams before I was preggo but none since then. Isn't that weird?

Well, I'm over in Norway right now where it is still cold and rainy. DH and I come here twice a week for work but this trip we are staying a little longer than usual and spending some time having fun and visiting family. So I won't be back home until May 19th. Yeah, very long trip. We work in a hospital in Bergen and the maternity ward is the building right across from me. I am so tempted to go over there and see the babies and ask questions about their labor and birth practices. I'm sure they are very different from ours. I wonder what they think about homebirth?

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:46 PM

I feel weird having nothing to buy now. We cosleep exclusively so a nursery is a total waste. DS never ever slept in his beautiful pottery barn knock off. I cleared out the armoire in our bedroom and put a nickel spring rod for clothes hanging and put some chocolate colored canvas baskets in for clothes. I got the carseat and diaper bag a few months ago and my sister is coming to visit this week and bringing boy clothes, a moses basket and all the little things like socks, blankets, hemp nursing pads... I'm totally set. Now, we wait.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

^Haha!! And I have EVERYTHING to buy! Thank goodness DH and I both have Mom's who love to shop and are thrilled about their first grandbaby! We'll be using a cradle in our room while the baby is still very young but when baby outgrows that we'll transfer to the nursery which is next door. I'm so excited because the cradle is coming from my MIL and it was the one DH slept in. I'm not swearing off co-sleeping but it's not the plan. We'll see!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Girl View Post
You should post a pic of your baby bedding! I love seeing what other people are picking since I have absolutely no idea what I want yet. Great baby dream, too. I haven't had any baby dreams since I got pregnant. I had tons of baby dreams before I was preggo but none since then. Isn't that weird?
Ask and you shall receive!!

packaging picture

actual comforter

bumper pad

wall size painting

large painting
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM

I have the cradle I slept in as a baby, ds slept in it maybe.. 3 times. My mom made adorable bedding for it, she made his crib bedding, and don't ya know he didn't sleep in it more then maybe 10 times (including a few naps, lol) until he was over a year?? I didn't plan to co-sleep with him, but he had other plans. I will go with this baby's cues as well, so only time will tell. I'll have the cradle set up in my room for times when I need a break if s/he decides to co-sleep.

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Tara - the Pooh stuff is so cute! I haven't seen that one before. And the paintings your mom did are really great! She's very talented.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 PM

It's good that you're open to co-sleeping even if it's not the plan.

When I had my first, the Dr. and everyone else told me I'd kill her if I slept with her. I was SO tired. I slept with my neck hanging over in the bassinet for a week. It felt SO WRONG to have her even that far away from me. I got really bad PPD and felt very disconnected from her and failed at breast feeding.

Knowing what I know now, I look back on that and it makes me feel ill. I hear new moms talking about how the first 6 months are hell no matter what you do. I laugh but then feel really sad for them. It doesn't have to be that way. The first 6 months with DS were pure magic. No crying (either of us!). Just snuggling in bed nursing. Of course, the first few days were kinda hard because he was early and too sleepy to nurse but in comparison, it was a bowl of cherries. Our relationship is completely different for it and I have not a single regret. A completely different experience and all I really did differently was listen to him and give him what he needed.

I can't wait to meet this little one and snuggle up in bed with him. Cosleeping is my favorite part of mothering.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Hi girls,

Congrat's Jörð on having another boy ! I'm having my third boy lol.. boys are fun!

On co-sleeping.. I'm kind of a hybrid lol.. my intention is always for my kids to sleep separately but in the newborn months.. I always end up co-sleeping off and on in order to get any rest. So eventually we do sleep separately but all rules are tossed out the window in the newborn period . I just do not sleep well with a kid in my bed, I'm afraid to move in my sleep so I wake up stiff and sore because I didn't twitch all night lol!

Anybody else starting to change things for the older kids in preparation for the new baby yet?? We just moved a crib into my 3 yr old's room, so that my 19 month old can move in there soon. Then the new baby will get his own room (when he sleeps in it). I just don't want the new baby to wake everyone if we can help it.. hence giving him his own room for a while.

We had to buy a 2nd crib again to make this work though, my first two kids were only 21 months apart and ds1 was no where near moving out of his crib (he stayed in it till he was almost 3 yrs old)! So we had a second crib until Feb of this year.. DS1 had moved to a toddler bed last fall, so we got rid of one of the cribs. And then like a week later found out we were expecting another baby hahaha!

So I bought (used) a convertible crib that will become a toddler bed, to put in the boys shared room. So that ds2 can be in a crib as long as he needs, and ds3 will have a crib and bedroom to himself as well.

NOW we are in the process of researching a new carseat for ds1 who is about to outgrow his convertible carseat. I think we are going to get one that goes from 20lbs up to 80-100lbs at least so it will hopefully be the last one we need for him. Thankfully though we have two convertible carseats (because of the first two being close in age) and they go from 5lbs-40lbs.. so I won't have to buy a new one for ds3 at least!

I don't like the bucket (infant) carseats, we had a old one for my first ds and it was horrible I hated it. Once he moved to a convertible carseat I wished we'd never had the bucket. So when my 2nd ds came along we just bought another convertible (Evenflo Triumpth deluxe was our fav for newborn to toddler), and it worked great.

But then I carry my babies around in a sling or pouch for most of the first year, so I don't need a 'carrier carseat' or bucket seat.

Sorry for rambling...... so does anyone else sling or pouch carry their babies (or plan to if it's your first) ??

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

Old 04-28-2008, 04:48 PM

I am definitely planning on wearing my first baby. There are so many cute and cool slings out there and I'm so confused on which type I should get so I'll probably get a bunch of them to figure out what baby and I like best. Any recommendations?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks

I bought the britax companion bucket style seat. My babies are short and would never fit in a convertible. We used to have a triumph and like it a lot though! Right now we only have the babys bucket and ds is in a recaro young sport.

I'll be leaving it in the car as long as it's not too cold. I'd hate to put a baby in a cold seat! But yes, I sling my babies pretty much all the time. I make my own pouches but I adore kangaroo korner ring slings. I use an ergo when they get older. I had DS in it the other day and he's 3.5, still comfy.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
I can't wait to meet this little one and snuggle up in bed with him. Cosleeping is my favorite part of mothering.
I feel the *exact* same way. I seriously cannot wait to change the sheets on my bed after the birth and snuggle up with my girl and drift off to sleep drinking in her sweet newborn-ness! Is it October yet??

Tara, your mama is one very talented lady! And you two look a lot alike, too. How awesome you're gonna decorate the babe's room with pictures she hung in your room. I think that is so great!

AAM: I just got back from a mommy spa day at my bff's house. Her mil is a hairstylist and does an amazing job. I got a bunch cut off and I feel so much lighter! No pics yet though. I'll have to have dh take my 16 week belly shot with hair this time.

We went strawberry picking yesterday afternoon to this organic farm and had a blast. We picked 48 bucks worth of berries between dh, my mil, the 4 kidlets and me! We've alredy eaten a bunch and I'm planning on making jam but help...what else can I do with them? Good thing I'm craving strawberries lately! We took some super cute pictures while we were there...I'll have to update my sig with some.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörð View Post
It's good that you're open to co-sleeping even if it's not the plan.

When I had my first, the Dr. and everyone else told me I'd kill her if I slept with her. I was SO tired. I slept with my neck hanging over in the bassinet for a week. It felt SO WRONG to have her even that far away from me. I got really bad PPD and felt very disconnected from her and failed at breast feeding.

Knowing what I know now, I look back on that and it makes me feel ill. I hear new moms talking about how the first 6 months are hell no matter what you do. I laugh but then feel really sad for them. It doesn't have to be that way. The first 6 months with DS were pure magic. No crying (either of us!). Just snuggling in bed nursing. Of course, the first few days were kinda hard because he was early and too sleepy to nurse but in comparison, it was a bowl of cherries. Our relationship is completely different for it and I have not a single regret. A completely different experience and all I really did differently was listen to him and give him what he needed.

I learned a lot on the message board I was on before Colin was born, so I knew that co-sleeping wouldn't harm him, but also didn't reall WANT to, but wasn't opposed to it if he wanted to, and he sure did. It made life so much easier. But not all babies from what I hear want to co sleep, so if this one is okay sleeping alone, I won't push it since I do like being able to move at night. Sleep while co-sleeping is different then that when not, I sleep so much lighter and it's not as good of a rest, for me anyway. But of course does the trick. I had ppd with Colin, I think it was because of our difficulties nursing, my husband left to go out to sea when ds was 11 days old, and I was just a mess! I didn't actually "like" him until he was 3-4 weeks old, I remember one day I just woke up and was so in love with him and couldn't get over how much I love him. I think the co-sleeping helped with the bonding, because we for sure didn't bond instantly, and co-sleeping (he slept through the night around a 6 days old until he was a few months most nights if he was with me/in the swing on nights I needed to not be touched gave me the chance to snuggle with him and be with him without him crying and wanting to nurse (which hurt ridiculously) and was a nice, quiet time. Anyway, co-sleeping for us was wonderful. He stopped sleeping through the night around 3 months and was up every 1-2hrs, as he got older, he was switch sides (comfort nurser, had to nurse to sleep) every 30mins and he was mean and cranky, I was mean and cranky. Around 13mos I put him into his crib, and much to my surprise, he slept! On his own, all night long! He was nicer in the morning, but I still woke every couple of hours : My biggest fear was I'd have him in my bed until he was 2-3 (what everyone told me when I told them we co-slept.. that or that I was going to kill him, dh yelled at him the first time he woke up before me and saw him in bed with us), but he transitioned well.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM

I used an infant seat for Colin (lived on the third floor and it was just easier to cover him with a blanket when it was cold then to get him out, sling him, walk all the way to the door, cold always, etc.. Worked for us. I will probably use the same seat for this baby, and depending on how fast ds grows, with either get him the bigger Britax seat (that goes to what is it, 80lbs?) and put the new baby into his Triumph (which I LOVE!) or get the new baby a Triumph. Who knows what I'll do. I used a pouch sling with Colin, and the babyhawk when he was a bit bigger. I want a wrap and a ring sling this time, and of course love my BH, but not for little little babies.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I'm jealous! I keep checking my boobs for leakage and I've got nothing yet! That's awesome!
Hehehe...me too! nothing yet here. glad to know i'm not the only one who does this!

Baby Stuff: I still have nothing. DP helped some friends move this weekend and they gave him a bunch of newborn clothes. He's bringing the box over this weekend, so i can go through it. When he told me I got sooooo excited! Finally....baby stuff! DP's mom, sis (she is due end of Nov.) and I are going shopping in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it! This is DP's mom's first grandbabies, she's getting 2 by Christmas...lol!

AAM: I'm doing well. I have a sore throat and a stuffy nose. Something the kids brought back from my ex..blah. Work is good but I'd really like a vacation! I'm definitely starting to feel a burst in energy..yeah! I cleaned my house crazy yesterday and not getting as tired in the evenings. I'm glad the 2nd trimester energy has finally kicked in. That's about it for me!

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 PM

Hi all!

Tara, your mom is soooooooooo talented.....her work is just gorgeous!!!!!!

I've been feeling like it's harder to breathe lately...I'm nowhere near big but sometimes I feel so breathless I have to lie down on my left for a while. Then I usually end up taking a nap and feeling better..odd. I checked my bp...everything seems to be okay on that front.

Found out another ugly thing about my birth center....it's transfer rate (don't know if it's transfer of care or transfer during delivery) is up to 50%. either way...not good.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 PM

we use a bucket seat cuz it is far far to cold here in the winter to take a baby out of the car and put it in a sling outside...I take the baby in and out in the bucket and then sling it for the most part inside. Though if baby is sleeping I usually try not to disturb them to much and let them sleep...I always have a sling, wrap, pouch, mei tai you name it with me.

As for co-sleeping we do what the baby wants, with my elder son he co-slept for about 3 weeks and then wanted nothing to do with it...he was getting up every 20 min and wasn't really interested in nursing...and I had such latch problems with him I had to sit up to nurse anyway...so I would put him in his crib and he loved to be in his own space...he was beside me though and it's what worked for him.

With ds2 he wouldn't even sleep for 5 min in a crib so we co slept and he still comes into my bed somewhere between 1 and 4 in the morning. NOt sure how i'm going to work that with the new baby.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=myrmom;11085458]we use a bucket seat cuz it is far far to cold here in the winter to take a baby out of the car and put it in a sling outside...I take the baby in and out in the bucket and then sling it for the most part inside. Though if baby is sleeping I usually try not to disturb them to much and let them sleep...QUOTE]

My son was left in his "bucket" when he was sleeping when we got home as an infant, b/c he wouldn't nap (only fell asleep in the car or in the seat in his stroller while walking!) during the day. And he did NOT stand to be transfered, and well, momma needs a break sometimes, and an over tired baby isn't a nice one I can't see that being able to happen with this one, I think Colin would terrorize him/her, so hopefully this baby transfers well! Oddly enough, now I can move him, sleeping, to the car and into his carseat, then out of the car into the house and into bed or onto the couch without him so much as flinching.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Holy cow tomorrow I am 17 weeks along!!! And I still have yet to have a prenatal appointment. I actually have to go into the medical clinic HERE to get ANOTHER blood draw/pregnancy test so DH and I can apply to get a 3 bedroom house and not a 2 bedroom... Then asap I will be making an appt. with Special Beginnings since tsk tsk homebirth is not allowed on base and DH wants base housing

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 PM

Maryann, is it an all housing rule? I know quite a few who've hb'd in military housing.

I have my first prenatal appt tomorrow, at 15wks 6 days-- hopefully father b/c I'm frickin' huge, lol.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Ooooh hopefully I will look into it and if I can have a HB on base that would be SWEET lol! Ill give the HB MW a call here... Its funny she is ex Air Force to boot!

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 PM

I know someone who hb in military housing as recently as last July, GMH run, does that make a difference? Maybe they just didn't tell? lol

Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM

I have a minivan (aka plenty of room to move around inside of it) so I just take the child out of the seat.. and into the sling BEFORE stepping out into the cold. If it's cold I can wrap my coat and/or an extra blanket around us and the sling together. I did this when I had my volvo wagon too. I don't know how that would work with a smaller car though.

Congrat's triple07...... I'll be 17 weeks tomorrow too .. hard to believe isn't it!? Seems like I just found out. And actually I haven't had a prenatal appointment yet either, though I have picked a midwife but we aren't starting prenatals until 18 weeks.

As far as baby stuff I have almost everything already, since I already had two boys and kept everything from them. So baby #3 is set in clothes and blankets etc already. I have picked up more cloth diapers, and 1 package of disposable newborn diapers. But for the most I can't think of much that would be needed.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

User Tag List