Boppy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to make my list of stuff that I want for this baby. We share a house with roommates, so I am trying to be pretty minimalist about it (besides those irresistible diapers and carriers, of course). How helpful is having a boppy for breastfeeding? Is there another type of breastfeeding pillow that works better? I do already sometimes have back and shoulder pain, so maybe a boppy would be good to help with that. I don't know! Thanks in advance.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#2 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 04:18 PM

Jord posted one in the thread about wishlists. It's an organic one from toysrus. GL!
#3 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 PM

I used the Boppy a lot to the point I purchased additional covers for it so I could always have a clean one handy. It was very helpful because our son had GERD/Reflux disease and had to be propped up for 30 minutes after each feeding. At first it was a bit hard to use until I got a good position down, but after a while your back with hurt or your arm needs positioning and it's just nice to have something that wedges around you or to you rather than a pillow that won't position right.
I also used it later to prop him up on and also wedged around him when he was learning to sit up properly (all with supervision of course). It was also nice to use prior to having him because I could wedge it under my stomach for extra support of my huge belly.
You can find them cheap at yard sales and consignment shops as well, mine was second hand but obviously not used much. I just washed it according to instructions and then purchased a cover for it. They have very nice covers in all sorts of prints and reversable and the like. I'd put it on my wishlist.
#4 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 PM

We actually used it more for dd when she was learning to sit up and for playing on her tummy than I ever did for nursing. Pillows were much more comfy for me. Maybe I wasn't doing it right, but in order for it to be up against my body and support dd while I was nursing, the stupid thing was also around my back. It really bugged me between my back and the chair, and I could never find a comfy position with it. But I know tons of people who love it.
#5 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 05:41 PM

I've used a boppy with my last 3 kiddos and found it extremely useful in the first 3 months or so. With tiny newborns you'll need an additional pillow or rolled up towel underneath to get the right amout of height for supporting the babe while you nurse. The My Breast Friend pillow is thicker than a boppy and is much firmer. While I never found the MBF pillow very comfy, I think its totally a matter of preference. Try both out and see which feels the best for you.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#6 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM

Ohh man I love my boppy! I've had the same one the last 2 kiddos [so it's 8 years old now] and it's had to have some repairs made to it but it still works great. It really helps because I have large breasts and it helps me to be able to have a hand free to push back my breast so I don't smother the baby during the first couple months before they learn to push the breast back themselves.
#7 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 PM

I love love love loved my boppy. Used it at every nursing until he was about 13mos or so, and it was great to lay him down and not have him flat, it was also great for when he was still kind of wobbly with sitting. Not everyone likes them, it seems you either love it or don't, but my was invaluable to me. He still plays/sleeps/lays with it now

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#8 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 PM

I hated the Boppy. It was very useful to help my DD learn to sit up, but for me it was useless as a breastfeeding pillow. I am very long waisted and it sat too low. I could put pillows underneath it to lift it up, but then it started to pull away from my body and the baby slid down between my waist and the Boppy. I like the My Brest Friend pillow. It straps on so I could get it to pull in tighter against me...which was a good thing because I ended up with a C-section incision and it stayed up high enough not to press against it.

Kim, mom to : Katie (2/06), : Tommy & Amelia (10/08)
#9 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 PM

I used it quite a bit since my arms and shoulders would get pretty tired from nursing...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#10 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 PM

I used it, but it always made my hunch over. I am hoping I can find something better this time, or just use the sling.
#11 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpo76 View Post
I hated the Boppy. It was very useful to help my DD learn to sit up, but for me it was useless as a breastfeeding pillow. I am very long waisted and it sat too low. I could put pillows underneath it to lift it up, but then it started to pull away from my body and the baby slid down between my waist and the Boppy. I like the My Brest Friend pillow. It straps on so I could get it to pull in tighter against me...which was a good thing because I ended up with a C-section incision and it stayed up high enough not to press against it.
Interesting! I have a long torso too. I guess I need to try out my doula's Boppy before buying one in case it doesn't fit right!
#12 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 PM

I liked mybrestfriend better. I have a long torso and am tall, so I found that boppy didn't hold the baby up very high and I still had to put a pillow under it. I also liked that mybrestfriend had a strap to hold it in place - the boppy would slide forward as baby moved. I have both (boppys are popular baby shower gifts and I bought the brestfriend). I actually ended up SITTING on the boppy most of the time when I had trouble healing from stitches - so that my bottom didn't get sore from sitting up. I also used the boppy to prop baby up a little when putting them on the rug.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#13 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 PM

Mandi, I sat on my boppy for that reason, too

#14 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess I will maybe just get one of each...or maybe I will try the boppy first and get a my brest friend if I don't like it. Here comes the house full of baby stuff!

#15 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 AM

If you find you don't like the boppy, they're not terribly expensive, and you could either sell it, or keep as a pillow My dh uses it as a pillow if he's laying on the floor, lol.

#16 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpo76 View Post
I am very long waisted and it sat too low. I could put pillows underneath it to lift it up, but then it started to pull away from my body and the baby slid down between my waist and the Boppy.
Maybe this is why I disliked it so much. I'm also long waisted and tall, and it just wasn't comfy at all for me.
#17 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Scratch that. After researching, I will probably just wind up getting a My Brest Friend. It seems to be better in many ways. Is there anyone who didn't like the My Brest Friend?

#18 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 10:43 AM

I liked the My Breast Friend less than the Boppy, but then again, I never used the Boppy much either. My friend lent me one of them, and I quickly returned it and passed it back. I found that the best way for me to nurse was lying on my side, since I took so long recovering from my C-section scar. By the time I was upright, I already had a routine. Boppys are more versatile for later-- as other posters said-- a pillow for sitting on, for cradling hubby's neck and shoulders on the floor, and for when the babe is sitting up/tummy play after its neck is stronger.
#19 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 AM

My boobies are really small, and I found teh Bobby sat waaay too low to be helpful. Frankly, I found just folding a bed pillow in half to be just as supportive. If you're trying to be minimalist, I'd say you could go without a Boppy.
#20 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtar View Post
My boobies are really small, and I found teh Bobby sat waaay too low to be helpful. Frankly, I found just folding a bed pillow in half to be just as supportive. If you're trying to be minimalist, I'd say you could go without a Boppy.
:
I really think the boppy is unnecessary. A regular pillow or throw pillow (or a wadded up jacket) helped me a lit more!

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#21 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM

i liked the breastfriend better but used teh boppy for others things, later.
#22 of 29 Old 05-03-2008, 02:17 AM

Just throwing in my two cents. I like the Brest Friend better. It is more supportive. My biggest problem with the boppy is it folded in the middle, so I still ended up having to hold the baby with both arms to get baby high enough. (and I am not tall waisted).
#23 of 29 Old 05-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hmmm, that's interesting! I always wondered why everyone made a big deal about Boppys being so great. I am tall waisted, and small breasted. I used mine for propping the babies up, or just for reading pillows for toddlers to sit at. Now I know why.

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#24 of 29 Old 05-03-2008, 11:39 PM

The Boppy was an absurd waste of money - DD didn't even like sitting in it.

I had a My Brest Friend pillow for nursing and I would strap it on high, just under my chest and it was perfect for DD to lay on and nurse side-laying. I was so sad when she outgrew it, but by then she could sit up in my lap and nurse.
#25 of 29 Old 05-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestday View Post
Hmmm, that's interesting! I always wondered why everyone made a big deal about Boppys being so great. I am tall waisted, and small breasted. I used mine for propping the babies up, or just for reading pillows for toddlers to sit at. Now I know why.
Well, not everyone doesn't like them Mine was used to death. Never caved in in the middle, and it was perfect hight for me, and I've got a long-ish torso. It's definitely one of those things that depends on the individual

#26 of 29 Old 05-04-2008, 09:33 AM

I couldn't stand the Boppy. Not even for baby to lay in. A firm bed pillow worked much much better for me. Maybe you could try out a few pillows before buying to determine what works best for you.
And I am very short-torsoed and have medium sized breasts...I don't think it really makes a difference.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#27 of 29 Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leurMaman View Post
I liked mybrestfriend better. I have a long torso and am tall,
me too. I have both and barely used my boppy - just didn't fit right.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#28 of 29 Old 05-05-2008, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
Well, not everyone doesn't like them Mine was used to death. Never caved in in the middle, and it was perfect hight for me, and I've got a long-ish torso. It's definitely one of those things that depends on the individual
Oh, I know... Most people I know really rave about how wonderful they are. And I must admit, I bought a second one at a used thrift store, because my two boys like sitting in them. It just didn't work well for nursing for me.

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#29 of 29 Old 05-06-2008, 10:37 AM

I didn't really like it much for nursing, either. It just didn't hold dd at the right height. I used it for lots of other stuff, though, and dd did like it a lot. I mentioned to a (tall) friend recently, that it was never comfortable for nursing and she told me she had that problem, too, but she used 2 boppys stacked and it worked great. I'll probably try it again, but even if I don't use it for nursing, I'm sure I'll use it for other stuff.

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08

Tags
Boppy Nursing Pillow With Slipcover

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page