Homebirthers - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2008, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcimama View Post
Ok, so I am feeling really unprepared for the "home" birth part of this birth. I got the whole birth part down, but I think I need to read up on how to get prepared for a home birth. Any good book referrals out there? I am sure my mw will clue me in soon, but I still feel like I haven't the slightest clue what needs to get done...
Not a whole lot of special stuff has to "get done." Especially at this point. You can clean all you want but you'll have to keep cleaning until the day comes.

Our midwife gives us a list of supplies to have on hand...here it is....

The we just order our birth kit but we won't do that until later since we are paying off the m/w first. Other than that, I keep the house clean as it gets closer only because it makes me feel more comfortable. I'm also going to get some soy tealights for our wall candle holders. Just do things that would make you feel comfortable...

You can also start freezing meals soon so you don't have to worry about cooking too much for the weeks following the birth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

i dont think you really have to "do" much..i just have the type of personality that wants to have everything prepared ahead of time..i am resisting as much as possible..there are bigger things we need to deal w/ in the meantime...its just sooo tempting.

i recommend reading the Emergency Childbirth manual (just in case the MW doesnt make it on time! lol!). Other than that i have been reading Unassisted Childbirth manuals b/c i like the "tone" of them better than most of the HB books (less likely to say things like "your MW will do this or that").

We plan to have a pretty hands off MW so I am hoping for the 2 of us to participate in our birth and our MW to be there in case guidance is needed.

other than some things that i want for the baby but am hoping to score 2nd hand (big ticket items like a Stokke and an Amby), im done w/ the baby stuff (b/c we dont do alot) so im "bored" in the sense that i dont have that anticipation. lol!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
is anyone wanting to get their birth kit already? i so want to have everything ready NOW! lol!
My mw gives a list, not really a pre-assembled birth kit. I've gotten the majority of it already, but it felt really weird to do it so early. Last time I didn't get the list until the end of my pg so I waited, but I asked for it on my first visit this time. I'm not sure why I have felt the need to start gathering it now, but I have. Partly so we can spread out the spending; I still owe the mw $3100 for her fee, plus I need to buy the birth pool and a few other things for the birth.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
is anyone wanting to get their birth kit already? i so want to have everything ready NOW! lol!
This is totally me! I have been trying to resist because its still so early, but its hard to be patient. To occupy my time I've been making some cloth mama pads for post partum, I've read on here that they are great post partum soaked in comfy and/or witch hazel and frozen. But I do have a laundry basket that's already sitting in the bedroom waiting to be filled with supplies... LOL.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is from my midwife's homepage - http://www.smallcomputerprojects.com/cnm/pdfs/prep2.pdf

The birthkit she recommends is pretty simple - you can check it out here http://www.birthwithlove.com/categor...ITID=453058246

I think I'll wait for quite some time before I buy any of that stuff...

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM

I just got my birth kit in this week. I've been getting things as the money is available. I don't want to wait too long and then have to buy everything at once.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emski4379 View Post
I just got my birth kit in this week. I've been getting things as the money is available. I don't want to wait too long and then have to buy everything at once.
This is what I am wanting to do. I plan on buying the pool soon (so it can get some use during the summer ) and then the things that MW doesn't provide, or "unnecessary" items but things I want, I will buy one or two with each paycheck we get...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:14 PM

We're planning a homebirth, too. As for tests, my DH is very pro-testing so we've already had a nuchal fold US, an amnio with US and we'll do the 20 week US. It all seems counter-intuitive to a home birth, but it makes him happy, which makes my happy (and he's fine with the HB). I was a little worried about all the US since they seem to take about 20-30 mins instead of the 10 I thought they would, but trust the LO is doing fine in there. After the 20 week US, I don't plan on seeing her until she makes her debut in October.

I have to say, I'm a little worried about noise since we live in an apartment. Plus, our landlord seems to drop by all the time. He'd freak if he saw a birthing tub or me laboring. He told me to move my plants off the carpet!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 PM

Planning hb #5 for this babe. Each time it gets better and better!!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:53 AM

Well, we are at 21w3d and we got our MW paid off TODAY! With our first birth we actually had to make a couple more payments after the baby was born...with our second we were paid up right around 36w. I just can't believe it.

I'm totally thankful and feel relieved. Now any extra money I get from babysitting can go towards a couple of things I want for the baby and we'll have to save the rest to buy clothes once we have the baby since I got rid of all our baby clothes.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 AM

OT - Ashley, what lovely pictures you have in your sig!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
Well, we are at 21w3d and we got our MW paid off TODAY! With our first birth we actually had to make a couple more payments after the baby was born...with our second we were paid up right around 36w. I just can't believe it.

I'm totally thankful and feel relieved. Now any extra money I get from babysitting can go towards a couple of things I want for the baby and we'll have to save the rest to buy clothes once we have the baby since I got rid of all our baby clothes.
Congratulations!!!! That is awesome!

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:40 PM

Hello ... arriving a little late but wanted to join this thread. I'm planning a hwba2c and am VERY excited. I already have my pool (long story - a friend won it in a raffle!) although I haven't had it out of the box yet.

I guess things are a little different for me as I'm in England not the USA. A lot of friends who have had home vbacs have paid to have their care from an independent midwife but I can't afford to go that route so I'm relying on the National Health Service here ... it's a bit of a lottery but I'm fortunate to have the same midwife caring for me this time as provided my ante-natal with ds & dd. I plan to have a very supportive birth partner (as well as DH of course) with me when I labour to make sure I get lots of pro-hbac vibes going on. Well, that's me ... sorry for waffling. Looking forward to reading lots of beautiful hb stories in 20 or so weeks (give or take!).

Jill &heartbeat.gif the keepers of my heartheartbeat.gif : Dave, Ben (9/2002), Lucy (9/2004), (m/c 9/2007) Emma (born still on her due date and forever missed 10/2008) and Tobias (1/2010)grouphug.gif
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

sorry this thread got buried.

welcome to our little club.

i am always fascinated w/ teh way things work in other countries.

this will be a hba2cs for us (but one vbac after the c/s's).

what type of birth pool did you get?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:41 AM

This will be my second HB. I'm really happy I already knew the lady I chose as our midwife before I was even preggie. I moved RIGHT after the birth of #2, and because of the timing, I was at 3 year since my last pap... so my midwife for #2 gave me a referral for a midwife in my new home state. She did the pap for me and I loved her right away!

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 PM

I'm technically in the Nov. DDC, but I wanted to join this thread too! I am planning on having my first baby at home, and I am so comfortable with this decision! It feels really good. I love watching home birth videos and I've watched the Business of Being Born so many times!
I'm really glad my husband is totally on board with it too We have a great midwife team, and excellent insurance coverage, so I feel very lucky. The only bad thing is the midwives can't keep me once I go past 42 weeks, so I"m just hoping that doesn't happen.
I haven't done any prep yet, we are the world's best procrastinators, so I figure we'll get around to it
Good luck to everyone!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 PM

I bought my 1st bit of home birth supplies... washcloths!

My midwife reccomends 10 and we actually don't have very many, so using the ones we have for the birth would have been out- plus I kept thinking "What if I haven't done laundry and the baby comes, then I wouldn't have any towels or washcloths." LOL.

Anyway, Walgreens had their packs of washcloths on sale for $2 for 5 washcloths, so I bought a couple of packs. They are a bit thiner than the more expensive ones, but are still 100% cotton.

I can't believe how exciting it was to make such a simple purchase!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM

I'm late to this thread, but count me in the homebirth club. We're praying for our 6th healthy homebirth/vbac. First 2 were c/sec, and needless to say we very much prefer the homebirth/natural route! It's so nice right after birth to be all snuggled in my own comfy bed with my hubby and new babe, surrounded by our own germs, and I can be my own boss. No nurses coming in and interrupting sleep or feedings. My mws clean up the mess from birth, get laundry going, and make sure we're fed before they leave. My mom usually comes over everyday for the first week or so just to play with the kids, bring food, and help out with general housework. My older girls can pretty much run the house anyway, but they enjoy having grandma here too. It's a time of feeling super pampered and just enjoying blending the new baby into life with the rest of the family. I have such fond memories of the time after every birth, but it's extra special with the homebirths.

My mws have a birth kit that they have you order sometime around 32wks I think it is. They also give a list of supplies to have on hand and some to do things in the days/weeks before birth. I'll wait till closer before I start putting things together probably. I'm just now starting to think about what all baby clothes/supplies we need, oh and cloth diapers. I got rid of most of my nb diapers, so I'll be needing to buy more this time.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife View Post
I bought my 1st bit of home birth supplies... washcloths!

I can't believe how exciting it was to make such a simple purchase!
I'm with ya. I haven't actually talked to my MW about it yet but I want to put together my birth kit myself even if she does have one available pre-assembled. For some reason the only thing that makes me feel like this pregnancy is "real" is aquiring things for it. I haven't bought anything for the birth yet but i'm sure I will enjoy taking my time and doing it when my MW gives me a list.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

bumping this thread to update.

im in the process of getting my birth kit now. i didnt want to order it b/c i have an issue with paying shipping costs right now. lol

now that i have most of what is on the list im wondering what else i should get to put in the box.

i have decided to put the birth pool in the "boys bedroom" (its the bedroom that ds3 and new baby will share for their stuff but since we cosleep they dont need beds in there). im going to paint it and then keep it empty for the birth pool. im pretty excited about it. i think the simplicity is great (saw it on one of the home birth videos...someone was in a room w/ nothing more than a sign that said "love"...i fell in love w/ it).

so what else are you putting in your HB box?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 PM

yikes! I'm no where near ready gathering birth supplies yet. We'll be moving in 3 weeks and until the dust settles, I can't even focus on this task! Even though it is approaching quickly. I'm just hoping to be unpacked enough so that I'm not birthing among boxes.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:07 PM

I'm going to be ordering my birth kit this week, along with getting the rest of the supplies that my midwife gave me. Things like the shower curtains, etc.

Two other things I have to do (which I didn't think I would have to do) are pack an emergency hospital bag and install the carseat. Of course those can wait a little longer, but still, knowing I have to do those things is sort of looming over me. I haven't a clue what to pack in the hospital bag! PJ's? Clean undies? I guess I should look into that!

Other than that, we just have to get the house in shape. We're doing so many cosmetic-type renovations that right now it's in shambles! Not good for home visits or birthing a baby!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

soggie, im sure things will fall in place. i wish i could take all of our stuff and put it somewhere else! lol!

carrie, did your MW say you HAVE to pack a bag? thats kind of interesting. im not doing that b/c i think it will mess w/ my head.

i think i will install the car seat though, just b/c i want to figure out where to put it and am not sure yet. its going to be weird not having ds3 right behind me (thats where he's always been). i need to wash the car seat cover first though.

what is everyone going to have on hand food wise?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 PM

I'm so glad to have seen this thread. I really need to get on the ball with stuff over here. Time is FLYING for me and I know that October is going to sneak up on me before I know it. I want to gather some homebirth stuff, slowly, but starting now, and definitely start thinking about food!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
carrie, did your MW say you HAVE to pack a bag? thats kind of interesting. im not doing that b/c i think it will mess w/ my head.

what is everyone going to have on hand food wise?
Not that I absolutely HAD to, but that I might want to if there are specific things I would want with me. So I guess "could if I wanted to" is more appropriate. I can't think of anything I would NEED to have with me, other than like, my glasses (which I'd have on), my birth beads (which would be on my person), and like, clean undies! I think I'll pack my own postpartum pads as well, plus I'll put in an outfit for the baby to wear home and a cute pastel kissaluv and cover!

Foodwise, hmm, I haven't thought of that. The only thing my midwives include on their contract is regular coffee and a cow's milk greater than 2%. Hey, do you guys think if I bought coffeemate creamer it would "count" as a cow product over 2%? I really don't want to buy milk. I don't know, it's just a lot to ask of a vegan. For some reason coffeemate seems less offensive, I don't know why.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Soogie - I feel you there. We're moving in two weeks too (finally!), and while I've started gathering some of the random things (extra peroxide, olive oil, rags, etc.) during weekly shopping, I'm nowhere NEAR ready to order the official kit.
I'm hoping this babe is comfortable hanging out inside me for an extra week so we can get stuff done.

Baby_Cakes - I wouldn't think a vegan creamer of your choosing would be a problem, but you can always ask. Would you be bothered if they brought their own small containers of milk with them? If not, that might be a compromise.

And there's something I need to add to my list of "What do you ladies like?" - coffee/tea preferences. DH and I drink it black, and probably wouldn't even think of having some kind of creamer-type stuff on hand.

As for the rest of the food: I figure in early labour I'll start lasagna and cinnamon rolls if it's morning or I go into labour late at night. I went over the recipe for the rolls with DH the other night, and have been having him do the kneading/filling/cutting parts (it's our Sunday breakfast every week) so that he's comfortable finishing them if I'm napping/otherwise occupied. Lasagna is super easy, provided I have the sauce made ahead of time. Other than that, we always have loads of fruit and veggies, so rinsing and tossing out a few snack bowls is easy too.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Soggie- Good luck with your move. I understand wanting to wait until the dust settles.

Well, I've slowly started gathering a few things. I have the extra shower curtains and bought some benadryl so that if I go into labor during the night I can take some to help me sleep/rest and not get too worked up. That's a good way to get exhausted.

I've been looking for chux pads and can't seem to find them anywhere... Does anyone know where I can find some?

As far as food goes, I personally would love a nice hearty soup. So that will be one of my frozen meals and I'll take it out to thaw when labor starts. I'm not sure what to have on hand for the midwives. I'll have to ask them what they prefer.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:11 PM

I've pretty much gotten everything I need ready for our HB. I decided not to order a birth kit this time (the 4 times before much of it wasn't even needed) and just throw together what we will use. I've got my cloth chux washed and ready to go, my mil brought over about a million towels, I've got sterile gloves for the mw, receiving blankets, and a yummy room spritzer. All I need to pick up are a few packs of sterile gauze, a new bottle of olive oil, and make a keepsake birth certificate. I'm still debating whether or not I want to order a king size mattress cover.

I feel good about having all my supplies ready to go...now its just getting all the other little stuff done in time so I won't have to worry about it in October.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:14 PM

DH laughed at me... I bought a big bag of depends a few days ago for PP or after my water breaks. I found a bunch of gauze sponges and things like that that I already had. Some honey straws... epsom salt, BP monitor, padded toilet seat. You know, basic labor aids.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm a fairly recent addition....just last month got the OK for a HB. Looking forward to it.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

User Tag List