Homebirthers - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 150 Old 09-14-2008, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDoula View Post
Well I got just about everything on my homebirth supplies list my midwife gave me. I just need to find a place that sells sterile gloves.

I ordered my bathtub on Friday! It's the Eco Friendly, Pool in a Box sold on Waterbirth International. I can hardly wait for it to get here, I am so excited.

The only thing I haven't really done is frozen some meals. I was thinking some good hearty stews, but then I can't figure out what else.... any ideas?
how about some enchiladas, lasagna, quiche, pesto sauce, or meat sauce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 150 Old 09-14-2008, 02:02 PM

I'm washing the last few things for our birth kit today (sheets, towels, etc). And then packing it up in a box to sit in the corner of our bedroom. I can't believe how close this is.

I told DH that we need to do another good deep clean around the house (we did for most of the rooms about a month ago, before our home visit) and then keep everything clean until labor day/night. That's our other mission for today.

I wish I had more room in my freezer to put up some food. I have a few recipes I;d love to make, but no space whatsoever. Ugh. Hopefully, other people will feel like cooking for me - DH will, and so will Mom and MIL, I bet.

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#123 of 150 Old 09-14-2008, 03:36 PM

I just found this thread, so hoping its not too late for me to join in

I just got my birth kit that my mws recommend on Friday. Like another PP mentioned, a lot of the items seem like things I could have bought more easily myself. But some were items that would have been harder to find and DH and I discussed it awhile back and decided that it might not be worth the hassle to go to multiple stores and find the items I needed when they could come all together in one package. So while it was a little more expensive than getting the items separately, I guess there's a convenience factor there too.

I also need to get the ball rolling on making and freezing some food. This thread is inspiring me to see what I have in the cabinets so I can make something today! As an added wrinkle, we're Jewish and have all the holidays coming up right around my edd, so I want to have some food made in advance for those. Fortunately, my mom and MIL both want to cook for us (and my mom has already made 2 batches of soup that are in our extra freezer), so that is a huge help.

All of my family knows about the HB, but we haven't told my ILs yet. We decided to tell them when I'm 37 weeks since that is the earliest I can have the HB anyway. On the off chance I go into labor earlier than that, it would be a moot point and why have them stress if its not necessary. DH and I decided we will tell them, rather than just having a "baby came too fast, oops!" homebirth, since we want their help with our older DD if she's awake when I'm in labor and we think they will be very hurt if they realize we've lied to them the whole time. We are pretty close with them otherwise, I'm just not looking forward to them being anxious about it and trying to get us to change our minds. Fortunately, DH is good about setting boundaries with them and hopefully they can be supportive of our choice and manage their anxiety without bringing us into it.
#124 of 150 Old 09-15-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDoula View Post

The only thing I haven't really done is frozen some meals. I was thinking some good hearty stews, but then I can't figure out what else.... any ideas?
So far I've done lasagna (x2, but am making a couple more this week), Japanese curry (x4), chicken pot pie filling (x6, didn't realize I already had 2 in my freezer! I'll probably just buy the crusts for these), turkey meatballs (x2, different kinds), forbidden tofu/chicken (recipe from Cookingtf.com mailer), sloppy joes (x2), raw meatloaf, and some taco meat (cooked and seasoned already). I plan on doing chicken tikka masala (x3), more lasagna, and one other thing I can't remember, all this week. I have a few other things I will hopefully get to as well; we have a freezer in the garage and it is stuffed right now, so I need to use some of it up before I can keep going!
#125 of 150 Old 09-15-2008, 12:11 PM

I'm jealous of all of you who are freezing meals! I keep meaning to but I haven't done it yet. I really need to get on the ball.
#126 of 150 Old 09-15-2008, 12:56 PM

i havne't frozen any meals either, but luckily i'm getting some given to me at my mother blessing so that will help a bunch i'm sure!!
#127 of 150 Old 09-15-2008, 12:59 PM

I'm getting ready to get out my list of supplies that I need other than the birth kit. DH went and bought a hose yesterday for filling up the tub. I have a birthday party to do for my DD though also and I'm making the party favors so I have a bunch of stuff to do...including clean the ceiling fans.

I did make another freezer meal last night....Pesto and mozzarella stuffed chicken breast. I stuffed them and froze them raw in a foil pocket. All I'll have to do is defrost them and stick them in a pan in the oven. :
#128 of 150 Old 09-16-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
When would you guys say it's about time to make the bed with the vinyl liners and extra sheets? I'm afraid it will be too uncomfortable to sleep on for many nights. I don't want to not do it in time, though, and end up having to wait for DH to do it during labor...WWYD?
Don't worry about lining the bed until you're in labor. Really, you'll be fine. It only takes a few minutes to do. Like you said, it's terribly uncomfortable to sleep on (it's hot and can be crunchy noisy, too).

Maybe have your husband to a "practice change" right now so he gets the hang of it (not that there's much to "get" -- lol...it's pretty straightforward).

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#129 of 150 Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm so glad this thread got bumped. I thought I was on the ball with stuff and then just stopped everything! LOL. So now my home visit with the midwives is Friday and I have to have all my supplies by then. So today I am going shopping.

I have 7 meals in the freezer, but 6 are ground beef and 1 chicken. I also want to make some veggie ones and some soups and stews. I love doing hearty fall meals and am SOOO looking forward to that.

So far I have the simple things:
Hamburgers (raw)
Taco meat
Chili
Sloppy Joes
Spaghetti
Stuffed Peppers
Teriyaki Chicken (raw)

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#130 of 150 Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 AM

Is anyone planning a first meal after birth. I think I want a glass of wine or a beer, but I don't know what I want to eat.

Last time I was so excited for an ice cream cake since I was on a very restricted Gest Diabetes Diet.

This time I am not inspired!

any ideas?:
#131 of 150 Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 AM

I'm not planning a meal since I have no idea what time of day I'll birth. After DD (born just after midnight), DH got me a club sandwich and french fries from the hospital cafeteria. After DS (born at 1 pm), my midwife just asked my mom to make me a breakfast type burrito and it tasted so good even though it was really bland (just eggs and cheese). I haven't really been avoiding anything this pg that I'm particularly craving, so no inspiration there.
#132 of 150 Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 AM

If it is sometime during the day or evening, I want corn chowder (which means I need to go get the ingredients so they'll be in the house when the time comes...). If it is morning, I plan on making my Dad come and make me hashbrowns. He makes them the best, and they always sound good.

#133 of 150 Old 09-17-2008, 12:02 PM

Is it just me or isn't the first after birth food the BEST?
#134 of 150 Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 PM

I'm not planning a meal either since I have no idea what time the baby will be born. I'll have food in the house and my friend or DH will whip something up if I'm really hungry.

I did go buy a good bottle of red wine to have a glass during labor and maybe afterwards.
#135 of 150 Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM

I really want vegan "beef" stew. Something about the carrots, potatoes, and tvp, with that good juice and some soft italian bread sounds really good for a post birth meal. That being said, I'll have to get everything from the store and have DH make it and freeze this one meal ahead of time, b/c who knows when this baby is coming? Don't know what I'll do about the bread. I want that italian bread with it, with margarine.

Can you tell I've thought about this? I'll be so bummed if I don't plan this out ahead of time and end up with like, a bowl of cereal or something lame like that.

Anyways, I think I'm set for my homebirth. Supplies wise that is. I'm trying to keep up with the house cleaning so we don't have to clean anything up last minute. That's proving difficult when DH's idea of cleaning up after dinner is putting the food away but not washing any dishes! Argh!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#136 of 150 Old 09-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've got a quiche for during the night or morning and chicken alfredo with spinach and mushrooms for the day in the freezer waiting! I also have a dry mix of potato soup...comfort food! :
I too am being a bit nutty about keeping things clean... I just can't stand to think of the house being a wreck when I go into labor...Like I will even care then. LOL!

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#137 of 150 Old 09-19-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

i need to get my food together..both the freezer stash and what needs to be here for labor for my MW's. i just do NOT want to have to think about this anymore. in the time i have thought about it, i could have gone shopping 3x and made about 50 dishes.....my arse needs to get off teh sofa and just GO DO IT.
#138 of 150 Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 AM

We are planning a homebirth this time, as well. I have the list of things my MW would prefer we have available, but I'm not doing anything with it until 37 weeks, when I could realistically actually birth at home. (before that, she would want me to go to the hospital, and I can't say I disagree.)
#139 of 150 Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
That's proving difficult when DH's idea of cleaning up after dinner is putting the food away but not washing any dishes! Argh!
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with this! Our agreement has always been that I'll do the bathroom if he'll do the kitchen (I hate washing dishes because I have uber sensitive skin). Our bathroom looks good, but the kitchen is a mess. I'm going to be angry when he spends the first hour of my labor cleaning the kitchen on threat of death and dismemberment. Hopefully, it will get done this weekend when we get everything deep cleaned and he can actually keep up with it for the next few weeks.

#140 of 150 Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 PM

I've been lurking lately because I've been sooo exhausted I couldn't even formulate responses. Sad, but true. I have one more week of work before I start my leave and ~4 more weeks until she makes her debut. At this point, I've decided not to stress about freezing meals, etc... until leave starts. We got our birth kit, diapers and she has clothes. The crib is full of stuff that needs to be put away, we need to buy her a dresser (we have a 1 bdrm apt so all of us are in one room) and I need to make a massive Target run.

I get a little overwhelmed thinking about it all, but I have faith that it will all fall into place in time for the birth. Luckily, my DH has been incredible with keeping up with the dishes and awhile back, as a treat to myself, I hired a housekeeper (I work wayyyy too much) so luckily, our place is clean althought a little messy.

I am so impressed by the mamas who are all set to go! Of course, October is only a week away... CRAZY!!!
#141 of 150 Old 09-19-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazamada View Post
I am so impressed by the mamas who are all set to go! Of course, October is only a week away... CRAZY!!!
Well when you put it that way... YIKES! A week away!?! Holy crap!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#142 of 150 Old 09-23-2008, 08:44 PM

I think we are ready for our homebirth now. I finally went through the list and put towels and sheets, washcloths, olive oil, etc. into a couple of bags. My MW also asks for a couple of baking sheets also. We just use ones from our kitchen and cover them with foil so I'll prep those once labor begins.

We've got the pool. We just need to install the carseat RF'ing. This week I'm also going to put a mattress protector on my side of the bed.

I do need to dust the windowsills and vacuum the window tracks sometime this week. DH cleaned the ceiling fans for me.

There is nothing else I can think of that I need to do besides go into labor.
#143 of 150 Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 PM

We are ready as well. DH picked up a vinyl mattress cover yesterday. I've had my big bag of towels, washcloths, baking sheet, and non-breakable bowl (for the placenta) ready to go in the living room for a few days now. I also have a huge pack of chux pads and the mail order birth kit in the LR. Carseat's been installed for like a month. I bought a hot/cold pack and it's stored in the freezer...

We got the ingredients for my 1st after birth meal and DH is going to whip that up and freeze it. Also got ice pops, grapes, vitamin water, and apple juice ready to go. We even bought the dairy creamer for the midwives and have it hidden in our fridge (they asked for dairy and we're vegan so it's strange to have in the house).

Yeah. Okay, baby. Let's go!

#144 of 150 Old 09-24-2008, 12:51 AM

Ooh, this reminds me...I still need my sitz bath. It used to come in the birth kit but the MW had it taken out b/c she recommends a local ladies herbal sitz bath. Darn, one more thing to have to do on top of getting DD's party favors ready. This week is flying by!
#145 of 150 Old 09-24-2008, 11:08 AM

I'm not ready. I have most of my supplies, but still need to borrow a pump (for the pool) from a friend as well as buy a new hose and adapter for filling the pool.

My house is nowhere as clean as I want it to be. I mean, it's decent, but I'm just barely keeping up with the day-to-day stuff. I have no time for anything extra (cleaning behind the oven and fridge, ceiling fans, all the other things I want to do).

AND, baby has been breech; had a version done yesterday and I am pretty sure baby is head down still, but this is taking up all my extra energy right now. I just don't have the strength to do a bunch of cleaning when I'm trying to focus on encouraging this baby to stay in position. I know a hb in an imperfect home is better than ending up with a potential hospital birth (mw can attend breech births, but I'm not sure what would happen in my particular situation). Still stressed about it though.
#146 of 150 Old 09-24-2008, 01:04 PM

lovemysunshine. I hope you feel less stressed soon. I felt really stressed and last week (37 weeks) and oddly peaceful and calm this week (38wks).

it is wierd. I am more ready this week with all my stuff and my house so perhaps when you have done some more of your stuff the stress will go away. I hope so.
#147 of 150 Old 09-24-2008, 01:42 PM

For the most part I am ready.

I have all my birth supplies together, I just have to get the hose for the birth pool and herbs for my sitz bath.

Although there's still quite a bit of cleaning that I'd like to get done. I'd like to clean the baseboards and chair rails throoughout the house. Steam clean the living room and master bedroom carpets and a few other things like install the car seat, etc.

I have 10 meals frozen and tomorrow will have 11, but I really want more than that, along with other extra goodies. We'll see what ends up happening though.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#148 of 150 Old 09-24-2008, 05:24 PM

We are all ready except for freezer meals. Sadly the cpm bennefit ate all my funds and freezer space for Sept, I can't buy food to stash till Oct1. But our midwife is paid off!!!!
#149 of 150 Old 09-24-2008, 05:48 PM

I'm feeling more and more ready. My supplies are all set to go and today I accomplished my last major cleaning project: cleaning and vacuuming under our bed. I even got all the receiving blankets washed and set up under the heating pad and all my birth kit stuff organized today. I've got to pick up a few random herbs and my labor spritzer and will do that this Friday.

Now, if only I could convince this lovely fall cold that I've got that it needs be gone so I can have this babe. I've been sucking down garlic lemonade and Emergen-C for 3 days now and its still lingering. I just want to be able to breathe through my nose again! Ugh!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#150 of 150 Old 09-24-2008, 05:55 PM

I have a little bit longer to wait, but I need to have everything ready by 36 weeks... October 5. And I'm not ready yet! I'm putting off most of it until next week, all the cleaning etc... then I will get everything organized for DH (he's requested a list this time!).

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page