Homebirthers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i searched for a thread on this but couldnt find one. i would love to keep in touch w/ the home birthers here in this DDC. We are planning a home birth but not having any of the other tests, etc. etc. done (had one u/s to rule out twins b/c we had an issue w/ our MW at the time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can count me in. I've had two wonderful hb experiences, and am looking forward to another!

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#3 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 06:36 PM

I am definitely hoping to homebirth our first. We are about 30 minutes from a hospital, though, so DH is a bit on the fence, only because of that. We've agreed to wait until it is a bit closer and see how I'm doing and what our midwives suggest to determine whether we will homebirth or birth in our midwives office (if that is an option still at that point).

You you doing anything in specific to get ready for your hb so far?

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#4 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

reading
hypnobirthing classes

our hospital is about 45 minuttes away but im ok w that

this will be our first hb. my first vbac was at a birth center

1ht sorry
#5 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 PM

I am planning a HB, possibly a UC if I can't get my MW coverage through Tricare. In that case I would get my prenatals done by MWs through the base and decline all tests (I had an u/s to date, which I didn't want but... whatever and DH wants one for gender determination but I don't want another u/s) and also decline doppler, just fetascope. Then simply birth at home in my kiddie ocean reef inflatable pool But I really WOULD like a MW there...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#6 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
I am planning a HB, possibly a UC if I can't get my MW coverage through Tricare. In that case I would get my prenatals done by MWs through the base and decline all tests (I had an u/s to date, which I didn't want but... whatever and DH wants one for gender determination but I don't want another u/s) and also decline doppler, just fetascope. Then simply birth at home in my kiddie ocean reef inflatable pool But I really WOULD like a MW there...
same here

its illegal for a mw to attend me so we are basically underground and not using dopplers.

have you read the huge tricare thread?
#7 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 PM

I'm planning my first home birth here.. if she makes it (she lives about an hour away from us), and a doula as well (who also lives about an hour away.. in the opposite direction lol).

We had one free u/s (done by some residents.. one of which is a friend of ours), at 14 weeks which was comforting to me to know everything was okay.. and interesting to find out the sex so very early (very definite boy).

Otherwise we aren't using a doppler in pregnancy, only stethoscope, though our midwife does use a doppler briefly during labor/delivery because it's easier under those circumstances.

And we aren't doing any testing either. Simply the urine/blood pressure checks and visiting with the midwife getting to know each other and discussing any issues that may come up.

I'm hoping for a water birth.. in my living room (where I already have a couple of aquariums one of which is 50gal, a nice large water picture, etc) it's the most relaxing room in our home.

ETA: technically where I live my lay midwife (cpm) can't legally deliver us in our State... but she says she obeys God.. not man.. in this instance and feels that women should have the right to a natural birth at home.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#8 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Checking in! Have to go get dinner ready for the little one, but I'm here too!
#9 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 PM

We are hoping and planning for a homebirth, this will be our first after two hospital births. We will have a birthing tub and midwife.
#10 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Current plans are for a homebirth, but my body might be conspiring against me on that one. Long story, won't bore you with it. We'll be at home if at all possible.
#11 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 PM

We're planning an HBAC. Only 1 u/s to make sure everything looked normal. Other than that, I don't think we'll get any testing.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#12 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post

ETA: technically where I live my lay midwife (cpm) can't legally deliver us in our State... but she says she obeys God.. not man.. in this instance and feels that women should have the right to a natural birth at home.
ahhh..how sweet!
#13 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 10:16 PM

Me too! First birth was as natural as possible in a hospital with an intervention-happy OB who insisted on inducing at 40w2d. Luckily here in Ontario Canada midwives are covered 100% by insurance and have rights to do homebirths. We are really looking forward to it this time, instead of developing a tool kit of ways to fight whatever the OB wants to do! It sure changes my prespective on birth not to have to deal with that attitude this time.
#14 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 10:53 PM

We are planning our 6th homebirth. I am hoping for an uneventful birth after my fifth which was cord prolapse, the little boy is a healthy 2 yr. old. We are UCing this one, we had a midwife with the first 2 and have Uc'd the last 3. I have a friend that does midwifery in Missouri and she says it is a calling not a profession for her. I totally understand the situation in Missouri and we catch our own now. I was fortunate enough to come to the decision of homebirth with the first one and have been blessed to have 5 so far. Best wishes to everyone and I hope everyone gets what they want when it comes to their birth.
#15 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 PM

This will be our first and we are planning a homebirth.
#16 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
same here

its illegal for a mw to attend me so we are basically underground and not using dopplers.

have you read the huge tricare thread?
Well I am planning on going into my med clinic and show them the papers FROM the Tricare website that say Tricare does cover homebirth with MWs and birthcenters. I am hoping that I don't have to switch to standard care but if I have to, I will...

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#17 of 150 Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are planning a homebirth for our first as well.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#18 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple07 View Post
Well I am planning on going into my med clinic and show them the papers FROM the Tricare website that say Tricare does cover homebirth with MWs and birthcenters. I am hoping that I don't have to switch to standard care but if I have to, I will...
good luck to you. ive heard some have success..
#19 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 AM

we're going for another UC here

I would love to hear about your last birth rosehillworks!!!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#20 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 AM

We're doing an HBAC this time. My last one was a planned homebirth with a transport for a c-section. That's not happening this time. I'm staying positive and telling myself that this baby WILL be born at home. My body can do this!

Mama to Hannah & Hailey 1/5/02 C.J. 2/18/03 Anthony & Jamie 3/23/05 Chuck 10/9/08 42-week Sam 8/9/10 Mae 4/22/12
#21 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_sets_of_twins View Post
We're doing an HBAC this time. My last one was a planned homebirth with a transport for a c-section. That's not happening this time. I'm staying positive and telling myself that this baby WILL be born at home. My body can do this!
yes it can!!!!! are you reading any books? that has helped me alot. and im taking a hypnobirthing class. this will be a HBAVBA2CS!!! hahaa!! confused??? (home birth after a vbac which was after 2 c/s's, but the vbac wasnt a home birth..it was in a birth center).
#22 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Another first time mom here planning on a homebirth! So excited, but honestly I am having to deal with a lot of negative feedback from people. It can be so trying. What a great support group to have here!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#23 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 AM

I'm joining in too. Planning a HB for baby #1 - no Ultrasounds, no doppler (so far - if there is an issue where MW reccomends either I am open to considering it.)

Have a great MW who is being covered 100% by my insurance & a very supportive SO.
#24 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 AM

I am in this camp too and I am so excited. I feel so lucky that I have done so much researching before my first birth. Oddly, though, lots of people know, I have not gotten any negative feedback. Maybe people know better than to try to argue with me?

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#25 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 11:00 AM

Another homebirthing our 1st here! I am so exctied and already want to start getting my HB supplies together. Haha.

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#26 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 11:38 AM

Planning my 2nd homebirth. but what is even more exciting is that we are unexpectedly moving (not the exciting part, but rather the chaotic, frenzied part) is that I will have my old midwife that delivered my last baby. I'm so happy!! I like the mw that I have now, but there is something so calming about knowing that I will have my other mw. a wave of peace washes over me thinking about it...
#27 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM

We are homebirthing too, with a fabulous midwife. She is new though, at least new to me. My other births were with a different midwife and I wish she could be here this time too!
#28 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 04:37 PM

this will be my 4th homebirth.....leaning towards UC.

~Yvonne
Mama to nine.

#29 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 06:45 PM

I just noticed this thread. We're planning our second hb with this babe. SO excited and looking forward to having my kids there this time (DD didn't want to be there when DS was born, maybe for the best in the end though since he got stuck).

We will be having an u/s in the next few weeks, once I figure out how to do it and get insurance to pay for it. It is very important to DH and it is kind of my concession since he is not super keen on hb (but is "okay" with it). We don't do any other testing or u/s though.
#30 of 150 Old 05-21-2008, 08:33 PM

This will be our third homebirth. My MW is also a very good friend so I'm happy to have her at my birth even though I'm leaning towards a more private - just me and DH - birth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page