Long sleeved onesies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if this warrants a whole thread, it's just a simple question for you mama's who have already had winter babies, or for someone who is just smarter than me.

Is it necessary to get those long sleeved white undershirt onesies? I see both types out there, and am wondering if I should register for a pack or two of them as well as for the short sleeved ones. What do you think?

Thanks!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 PM

i dont like most onesies b/c they dont do well w/ cloth diapers (most dont anyway..for my babies). i usually do long sleeve cotton shirts and wool pants over a fitted diaper in the winter.
#3 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM

I have found that carters onsies do well over cloth diapers (pf's and FB's) and the gerber onsies do also. I like long sleeve onsies....it gets cold where we live and I always put our LO's in layers. A onsie and then another shirt or a onsie under a sleeper. I usually have many more s/s onsies and use those most often but I do use l/s onsies too. I like to have at least 6.
#4 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM

I love onesies. I don't know that I bothered with the long-sleeved ones though, just used the short-sleeved ones. Oh, I actually did get this one really nice, wool, long-sleeve onesie for cold winter walks outside.

I prefer onesies for babies because they don't ride up and leave that bare belly business. As far as cloth diapers go, just using them in a larger sizes seemed to work.
#5 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh, thanks for the quick replies! I'll keep that in mind about using them with cloth dipes. I thought about that but figured it would be fine.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I don't know if this warrants a whole thread, it's just a simple question for you mama's who have already had winter babies, or for someone who is just smarter than me.

Is it necessary to get those long sleeved white undershirt onesies? I see both types out there, and am wondering if I should register for a pack or two of them as well as for the short sleeved ones. What do you think?

Thanks!
Onesies were a staple in my house with our first. I liked the kimono style ones when for the newborn stage. It's so much easier to wrap the onesie around instead of pull it over their floppy heads. We cloth diapered our first with premie prefolds and Prorap wraps. I especially liked the umbilical cutout on the wraps, but now that I know how to Snappi or pin, I'll be using more wool covers with fitteds or prefolds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
i dont like most onesies b/c they dont do well w/ cloth diapers (most dont anyway..for my babies). i usually do long sleeve cotton shirts and wool pants over a fitted diaper in the winter.
ITA with the fitteds/wool deal. It's such a waste to cover such cute wool bottoms with a onesie. I also did a lot of longies in the winter with my last and used a long sleeve shirt/sweater on top.

BTW....do you have any patterns you recommend? I've always made my own, but admit to having to improvise quite a bit.
#7 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 08:47 PM

DS had a few long-sleeved ones that I would put under t-shirts. He had a bunch of them and it was too cold to wear a t-shirt in the winter so putting a long-sleeve onsie under it was perfect.
#8 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 08:54 PM

Subbing- I've only had new babies in south Texas until now so even though I had 2 winter babies, I have NO idea how to dress a baby in actual winter.
#9 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post

BTW....do you have any patterns you recommend? I've always made my own, but admit to having to improvise quite a bit.
i have a book of patterns. i need to get organized and start looking for some sweaters at Good Will, etc. etc.

i always threw ds in a wool cover (from neck to feet) when we took him out. OMG i have the CUTEST pattern that i was going to make for ds3....hmmm...now i want to make it for ds4.
#10 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 09:07 PM

I got longsleeved onsies from Old Navy that have worked well for ds. They were a size bigger which i never realized till i borrowed a disposable diaper from a friend and the onsie just hung on him! lol it was funny! I like the onsies because we use fuzzi bunz and ds now knows how to rip them off. But hasn't figured out how to do it yet with a onsie or pants on! He's usually naked becuase he just hates clothes and a diaper, but sometimes its just too cold!
#11 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 09:10 PM

Winter baby boy #4 coming I love the long sleeved undershirts for newborns then depending on the outfit I did some longsleeved onsies but I sized up so I didnt get wicking with my cloth diapers. I generally have big babies and use nb size for maybe 2 weeks then go to 3-6 months sizes

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#12 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 09:33 PM

my babies always wear the onsies that snap under the bum and I never had problems with my cloth diapers. I like them cuz they keep them tucked in and add a little extra layer of warmth for baby. I also love the fact that they keep snaps and zippers and what not away from babies sweet and delicate skin.

I never bothered with long sleeved ones though...cuz I always put them under outfits or sleepers.
#13 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Well if you end up with a girl, thats when I love them the most. You can put them under cute dresses and it keeps them warm (paired with some babylegs, my favorite!!). I never used them too much with my son though. I didn't have many problems fitting over with cloth diapers, I just usually size up all the clothes, except for shirts. I find that jeans don't typically work with clothe dipes, unless you go up several sizes. My point being, any type of clothes you might have issues going over the cloth diapers.
#14 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 10:12 PM

I didn't use the long sleeved ones much with DS - I didn't like the way they always seemed to slide off of one shoulder for some reason I could never figure out. I used the short-sleeved ones beneath creepers whenever we went anywhere for the first few weeks - and still use them for pajamas now that we're in that 'not quite cold enough for sleepers, but not quite warm enough for nekkid' time of year.

I'm going to try again with Newbie, but I don't anticipate much better results. :P

I'd say register for a pack - they're not too terribly expensive, and then you have them if you need them/want them/are better coordinated than me to get them to stay put.
#15 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 10:13 PM

I LOVE onsies and already have quite a few. My sister has gone nuts buying baby clothes LOL.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#16 of 27 Old 05-25-2008, 11:46 PM

Where I live.. it will likely be too warm for long sleeves..... but I had a late November baby the first time.. and we did use some long sleeved onsies.

I pretty much have used onsies either short or long sleeved constantly when my babies are little. But then I find them easy, and great for layering.. so if they are cold just add a shirt on top.. too warm.. take a layer off and they still have a shirt on .

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#17 of 27 Old 05-26-2008, 12:08 AM

When we were in the Chicago area, DS lived in l/s onesies for about the first year. First when he was swaddled and then with sleepsacks. It made night-time diaper changes go MUCH easier.
#18 of 27 Old 05-26-2008, 12:19 AM

I loved long sleeved onesies for DS. he was about 4 mos old when the cold weather hit, and it made his rather tiny wardrobe strectch that much further. I also like the fact that it saved his poor chest from getting all scratched up by the back of embroidery and zippers and stuff.

The Carter's ones are nice and long for CD'ing and don't slip off the shoulders.

I plan on getting some kimono style long and short sleeves for this BB.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#19 of 27 Old 05-26-2008, 12:35 AM

There's little cuter than a baby in a onesie, I've always thought. I plan on getting some long-sleeve ones and some regular ones. The cloth diaper butt issue concerns me a bit, but they have garment extenders, like these at Nicki's Diapers, for if sizing up doesn't work, I guess.

Holy heck, I hadn't given much thought to clothing besides onesies before this thread. My kid can just live in onesies, right?!
#20 of 27 Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 AM

I've never cared for onesies - they didn't fit well over cloth diapers and my baby was so skinny that sizing up left her shoulders poking out the neckhole. For warmth I went straight to footed sleepers.
#21 of 27 Old 05-26-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1203 View Post
Holy heck, I hadn't given much thought to clothing besides onesies before this thread. My kid can just live in onesies, right?!
My DD was a May baby, so different time of year obviously, but she lived in gowns and onesies. So cute. I love those gowns, sigh. . .
#22 of 27 Old 05-26-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasciate View Post
For warmth I went straight to footed sleepers.
That works, unless your child hates to have his/her feet covered when sleeping. DS hated for his feet to be covered when he slept. Made those footed sleepers a pain at night. I like the Hanna Andersson sleepers - no feet. Socks during the day, bare-footed at night.
#23 of 27 Old 05-26-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasciate View Post
I've never cared for onesies - they didn't fit well over cloth diapers and my baby was so skinny that sizing up left her shoulders poking out the neckhole. For warmth I went straight to footed sleepers.
Yes, this was me with DS. He basically lived in long sleeved footed sleepers for the first 4 months or so. I mean, all those cute little tops and pants and jeans that people bought for us in newborn or 3 mos sizes just looked so uncomfortable on him. I got 3 packs of plain white footed sleepers at Asda when we were over in the UK when DS was 5 weeks old, they were so cheap, and for me there's nothing cuter than a tiny baby dressed in white sleepers--it's not like he's going to get dirty at that age, unless I drop something on him!
#24 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 AM

I : babies in white as well. My mw commented with DS that she had not yet seen him in anything but white when we saw her for the 4th time or so after the birth.
#25 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 AM

I have a few dozen sleepers and gowns. My babies all lived in those for the first few months and I figure I'll be keeping the temp the same inside so those would be fine. I got a few of those kidopotimus fleece swaddle wraps.
#26 of 27 Old 05-27-2008, 02:54 PM

I really liked these the best for onesies: http://www.katequinnorganics.com/esh...category_id=76

And I liked Gerber kimono long sleeve shirts. My first baby was born in late august, which was followed by a cold spetember. None of the cute summer baby clothes I was given were appropriate. Except the one long sleeve gerber shirt they gave me at the hospital. I ended up buying more of those in a hurry when she was a few days old, followed shortly by finding the cute Kate Quinn ones. And I know the Kate Quinn look expensive, but all the Gerber ones I bought have been tossed out because they wore out in the seams, or got too stained to save even with oxy clean. (Of course I won't bleach) While the Kate Quinn ones useually washed clean even without stain treating (even for massive poop blowouts), the organic cotton doesn't absorb stains as throughly because the fiber of the fabric has not been overly porcessed and clorinated. She lived in onesies and baby legs because pants, if they fit over the CD butt where way too long.
#27 of 27 Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 PM

I still like l/s onesies with my toddler. i put them under anything when it is chilly outside. In Utah we can go from 93 one day then 53 the next. (yes this happened this week, yuck) so in order to not have winter and summer clothes out we just throw a l/s under her tshirt.

but we did use them when she was little too. I think they are a huge wardrobe stretcher.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page