How much have you gained?? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 202 Old 08-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
I seem to remember gaining much less in the third trimesters with my last pregnancy. My weight gain has slowed down a little lately but tends to come 2 pounds at a time out of nowhere. I doubt I'll gain another 10 pounds before baby arrives.
Yeah, about that..... I'm gaining a pound per week. If I keep at that rate I'll end up with a total gain of 31 pounds. I'm okay-ish with that depending on when you ask me.

My reason for digging up this thread- I'm a planner as you may have gathered by now. Anyone want to be PP weight loss buddies? I realize that a lot of women here feel that the weight loss aspect should be less emphasized but for me it's very important to lose the weight quickly (and in a healthy breast-feeding friendly way).
#182 of 202 Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM

I understand Changed! I agree weight gain is good and healthy but I'm all about losing the weight quickly and in the breastfeeding, healthy diet, working out way as well! I'm up just under 20lbs with 8wks to go until EDD. I'm not going to be too far from my goal of 25lbs I don't think as long as my weight gain continues at a lb a week.
#183 of 202 Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, about that..... I'm gaining a pound per week. If I keep at that rate I'll end up with a total gain of 31 pounds. I'm okay-ish with that depending on when you ask me.

My reason for digging up this thread- I'm a planner as you may have gathered by now. Anyone want to be PP weight loss buddies? I realize that a lot of women here feel that the weight loss aspect should be less emphasized but for me it's very important to lose the weight quickly (and in a healthy breast-feeding friendly way).
I'm up 40 lbs now at 34 weeks, and would LOVE to be PP weight loss buddies with you. I'm SO ready to be skinny again, and can't wait to get this extra weight off...in a healthy breast feeding friendly way, as well!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#184 of 202 Old 08-22-2008, 08:43 PM

I'm up 25 lbs at 31 weeks. I'm actually on track to gain LESS than I did with DD! Don't ask me how.
#185 of 202 Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 PM

I'm another who is eager to lose the weight as soon as possible (again in a healthy way while BFing), so good idea. It all came off easy enough with DS, but if I really watch what I'm eating and actually get some exercise this time, I think I can lose some of the extra as well. I have gained a lot less so far, but I also started 10lbs heavier and that about balances it out. If I can stay under 25 gained (as opposed to 39 with DS), I will be happy.

My friend that was staying with us last week sent me the photos she took. She took a really great one of DH and I lifting DS over the waves at the beach, except for the fact I am HUGE. Not pregnant huge, just huge all over and so disgusted with myself. I know I'm pregnant, but you know sometimes people say it takes a photo to make you really see yourself... ugh, that was my wake up call. At least I was fully clothed

I weighed myself this morning and I am 3lb less than I was the morning of my last appt last Thursday. That's random. So I guess that puts me at +8lbs with 11 weeks to go. I gained 9lbs in five weeks at last appt, so I expect it to show up 1.5-2lbs at a time from here on out.

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#186 of 202 Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Oh yay! I used to post on the weight watchers thread before I got pregnant. Maybe we can do a Fall Mamas PP weight loss thread? Play with the wording as you will...fitness, getting healthy- whatever. Anyway, you can be sure that I won't forget to start one.

Speaking of getting back to normal- Is anyone else planning on belly binding post partum? I'm excited to try it and have my support garment ready with my birthy stuff.
#187 of 202 Old 08-22-2008, 10:27 PM

Talk to me about belly binding.. what is that?

I'm another one who will be joining in the PP weight loss thread - through safe and natural means of course! With ds it all came off just from bfing but I'm looking to add exercise to the routine this time around and see faster results.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#188 of 202 Old 08-22-2008, 11:59 PM

I've thought about belly binding. Mainly because I think I'll need the core support when I first get back into my fitness routine. I'm so afraid of my muscles separating and not being able to fix it! I will have abs again!!!!!
#189 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 AM

It's a practice used in lots of other cultures where you basically use a strong fabric to bind your midsection post-partum for about a month- give or take. The idea is to hold things back the way they should be to allow them to heal and shrink back. It also helps with that inside out feeling some people have after birth.
#190 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
I've thought about belly binding. Mainly because I think I'll need the core support when I first get back into my fitness routine. I'm so afraid of my muscles separating and not being able to fix it! I will have abs again!!!!!
You'll have abs again. After my first pregnancy I thought it would be hopeless. I got rid of all my prepregnancy clothes thinking my hips would never be narrow enough to fit into them again, let alone that I would lose the pregnancy weight. I went through some ppd, didn't bother exercising... but when I finally did, I was amazed. I kicked myself in the pants for not trying sooner - ds was 2 before I bothered starting a serious fitness routine. As silly as it sounds, I keep a picture of myself flexing my abs because not only was I proud of myself for getting back into shape, but now I look at it and remind myself that I'll be able to do it again this time.

That's why I really want to participate in the pp weight loss thread - I'll need motivation not to just roll over and die figuratively speaking the first year (if this LO sleeps/nurses anything like ds did lol).

#191 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
It's a practice used in lots of other cultures where you basically use a strong fabric to bind your midsection post-partum for about a month- give or take. The idea is to hold things back the way they should be to allow them to heal and shrink back. It also helps with that inside out feeling some people have after birth.
Ok, so where would I find one and how much do they cost? It def sounds like a good idea and something I'd want to work into the baby budget.

#192 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 11:04 AM

You can use anything really. Some things I've read say that a sheet torn into strips works the best. I was given a medela PP support belt by my sister so I'm going to try that. If it's not strong enough, I've got some old sheets to turn to.

If you want something pretty, baboosh and sugar belly make them. You can google those but be warned, they're expensive.
#193 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 11:13 AM

my OB is groaning about my "poor weight gain", among other things. I am obese to begin with, and at 30 weeks, I have gained 5 pounds. I'm eating healthier than I have in 10 years (motivated by taking care of the baby), but still eating as often as I want, so I don't think it should be that big a deal- the baby is measuring a week ahead, so as long as she is a good size, aren't I ok?
#194 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 AM

^I think you sound fine. If you had, say, an extra 30lbs to begin with then there's not as much need for you to gain. You sound as though you're being healthy and whatever weight your body gains is correct when that's the case. No worries mama.
#195 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Bare with me...

I just realized this morning that I've gained 10 pounds in the last month. I know this is the time when babies are growing a lot but man, it's really got me down. :sob I looked up calorie values of some things I've made recent habits of and was completely BLOWN AWAY. I've been throwing in an extra 800 totally junk calories at starbucks every other day. What really bugs me about the whole thing is that I've just been too busy and tired in the evenings to cook (and for some reason in the evenings I have NO ROOM FOR FOOD in the belly) and while I could head off to bed at 7 with a huge bowl of watermelon happily, I end up going out or ordering in because of DH and the kids.

I'm going to try really hard to get in check this week. I'm not watching calories really but I don't have to nearly as much eating at home so I'm just going to stick to that and have DH help with dinner for the kids more.
#196 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRae82 View Post
^I think you sound fine. If you had, say, an extra 30lbs to begin with then there's not as much need for you to gain. You sound as though you're being healthy and whatever weight your body gains is correct when that's the case. No worries mama.
more like an extra 70 pounds! thanks for the reassurance. I really don't feel like there is THAT much control over what we gain, beyond eating healthy. i do enjoy a treat several times per week (yummmm! key lime pie!) but eating well all day offsets any guilt from that.

happy pregnancies, mammas!
#197 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 11:57 AM

Changed, it really is amazing how many empty calories we eat daily and don't even know it. Starbucks is EVIL! I have a book that I refer to all the time and it has all the nutritional info for restaurants and fast food places since DH and I eat out a lot. I just find the lesser of the evils and go with that and know I've done the best I can given the circumstances (we are out of town a lot or have to grab food on the way to Bradley class). If you find you have to eat out, the best thing to do is order from the kid's choices. Those portion sizes are actually what is appropiate for adults. GL with your new found knowledge and getting dinner accomplished at home!
#198 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 12:12 PM

Oh that's a great idea Tara! Thanks!!! You know, I used to do that after I had my first and was trying to lose the weight and just get water or tea instead of soda and it worked really well. I wonder if you can do that at sit down places?
#199 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 12:16 PM

At restaurants, I stay away from things that have cream or cheese sauces and stick to anything grilled (I eat a lot of fish, had crab legs last night). It's the sauces that get brutal. I always order my steaks "naked" and that gets rid of a lot of salt, MSG, butter, oils, etc. The other thing you can do with adult meals is ask the server to box half of it up before presenting it to you and then you can eat the half that's on your plate and take the other half home for another meal.
#200 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 12:20 PM

Brilliant! Do they look at you like your nuts if you ask them to do that? I don't know about the rest of you but no matter how good anything tastes, I just don't have the room to eat as much as my eyes want.
#201 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 12:21 PM

I'd join the PP weight loss thread, too. Whomever births first starts it?

Plus Sized Mommas- Fall 2008? Is that a good title?

Changed- I feel for you. I hope baby can use up those extra calories for you this week! I'm very glad I can't really afford starbucks, it'd be all over for me, then!

I started this PG having gained back ALL of DS's baby weight , so, 35 lbs up. Bleh. Last week I was at 14 lbs up, and I don't know how I even did it, other than doing to much, and being too tired to eat. I was making myself cook for DH and DS, and limiting my sugar. Then when I only gained 1/2 lb last month, I'v let myself 'celebrate' a bit this last week.

Well, I feel like total crap, and if I hadn't been so active this week, I'd really be afraid to stand on the scale.

So I'm back on the wagon, No coffee, no sweets (except for my allfruit!), and more protein.

I'm just going to get one of the elastic belly binders they sell at Babies R us. I figure I'd actually use it!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#202 of 202 Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 PM

Yeah, they'll think you're looney but oh well! I've been to very few places where the server is like, "we don't really do that".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page