Weekly Chit Chat 6/16 - 6/22 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 106 Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
By following a nutritious, balanced meal plan, total weight gain is probably between 16 and 22 pounds

I'm only 24 weeks now but thank you for posting that. It makes me feel like I'm pretty well on track.
#62 of 106 Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 PM

Hello, mamas,

I tried my best to read through most of these and see how you are all doing. I know I"ve been off the board a little lately. To be honest, I am still struggling with the separation and difficulties in marriage this summer. I'm enjoying the sunshine in Texas at my parent's ranch. Yesterday my sister, a nurse, did my "prenatal visit" by checking my BP, fundal height, baby's position, baby's hb, and glucose/protein strip. I ordered the fetoscope and strips online so she could monitor me for the next couple of months. There are no midwives close by here in the ranch.

Otherwise, I'm doing well with the pregnancy. I'm just in a world of emotional confusion not knowing if I'll be a single mom or not. I'm waiting for the next hearing in a month. I had to call 911 on my husband for domestic violence a month and a week ago, and now it is all a big mess. Unfortunately, it wasn't the first time he has hit me, but something in me clicked this time and I got help.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#63 of 106 Old 06-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
^Oh, yay, I can live with my 18 lb gain, then!
yes, you can...and know that mine is at least 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
I'm only 24 weeks now but thank you for posting that. It makes me feel like I'm pretty well on track.
its a guideline and if i were a few pds. to either side i wouldnt worry but im glad you are w/in it. the most impt. thing, i think, is for you to be comfortable and knot worry. s

Quote:
Originally Posted by leurMaman View Post
I had to call 911 on my husband for domestic violence a month and a week ago, and now it is all a big mess. Unfortunately, it wasn't the first time he has hit me, but something in me clicked this time and I got help.
i am so sorry. I am glad to hear that you are out of that though. I was a single mom for a very very long time (although i wasnt in an abusive r/s). It is much easier being single than living w/ someone you cant stand though (and i can imagine you cant stand a man who hits you).

i hope the rest of your pregnancy can be uneventful.
#64 of 106 Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
but something in me clicked this time and I got help.
And we're so glad you did! Take care of yourself!
#65 of 106 Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Hello, mamas,

I tried my best to read through most of these and see how you are all doing. I know I"ve been off the board a little lately. To be honest, I am still struggling with the separation and difficulties in marriage this summer. I'm enjoying the sunshine in Texas at my parent's ranch. Yesterday my sister, a nurse, did my "prenatal visit" by checking my BP, fundal height, baby's position, baby's hb, and glucose/protein strip. I ordered the fetoscope and strips online so she could monitor me for the next couple of months. There are no midwives close by here in the ranch.

Otherwise, I'm doing well with the pregnancy. I'm just in a world of emotional confusion not knowing if I'll be a single mom or not. I'm waiting for the next hearing in a month. I had to call 911 on my husband for domestic violence a month and a week ago, and now it is all a big mess. Unfortunately, it wasn't the first time he has hit me, but something in me clicked this time and I got help.
Thinking of you.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#66 of 106 Old 06-18-2008, 07:40 PM

There is a March 2009 DDC

Holy Cow!

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#67 of 106 Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mandi I know this situation must be hard for you, but just know that it is the best thing for you, your babies, and you unborn babe that you are not in that situation.

When I was a child I was constantly beat and swore that I would never let someone do that to me again. But in 2 of my relationships I was hit again. It is hard to deal with, loving someone but not knowing what to do.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Wife & Mama to Two Loving Kids DS1 (7/7/07) DS2 (925/08) and DS3 (6/28/12)! And our new furbaby puppy Koda!

#68 of 106 Old 06-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I got help.

I'm sorry it's so hard for you, but know that you are one strong Momma to recognize the need and to ask for help!!!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#69 of 106 Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 AM

My thoughts are still with you LeurMaman. I think of you often.
#70 of 106 Old 06-19-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
And we're so glad you did! Take care of yourself!
Yes, this. We're thinking of you, leur.
#71 of 106 Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 AM

leurMaman, Take care and stay strong.
#72 of 106 Old 06-19-2008, 12:34 PM

Thinking about you Leurmaman. I am proud you stood up for yourself and your baby and other children. Physical abuse is not something to take lightly and the fact that you have taken action means you are a good mama.
((hugs))

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#73 of 106 Old 06-19-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Hello, mamas,

I'm sorry you are thinking about this right now.

I didn't have too much time to read through this thread; I've been gone for a week to disneyworld. I saw some of you were talking about weight....

I got off a 5 hour plane ride from florida to cali and my legs were so swollen I felt like a blimp that was about to burst. I'm not sure what my weight gain is, probably around 15 pounds but I have a prenatal coming up soon. I don't own a scale so I can't just check any time which is good.
#74 of 106 Old 06-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks for understanding and offering some advice, mamas. Oddly enough, I'm glad I'm pregnant while I'm going through this separation. Each time she moves inside, I feel like I'm not really alone. I know that I have to go on for her sake and for my other two. The timing isn't the greatest, but there is always a silver lining to each cloud - and feeling her grow is my silver right now. My problem is that DH is angry and hurt over my phone call. He denies the abuse in the past and last month. He acts like I just overreacted and ruined his life. I can't go back unless he can admit the problem and seek treatment. I have no idea where this is headed.

Reading about your pregnancies cheers me up - especially the excitement of you new mamas.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#75 of 106 Old 06-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Ok ladies... I was able to weigh myself yesterday!! I found 2 scales in the storage/bathroom of one of our residential facilities and assuming they are accurate, I've gained 10 lbs. by 22 weeks. Is that normal? Off to google...

I took a bath last night and then oiled up my belly and looking in the mirror thought I looked gloriously pregnant and had the idea of doing some 2nd tri fancy pictures as well as 3rd tri. It might be nice for posterity to be able to say, and THAT'S what I looked like before I got huge!

Leurmama!

Mama to my Addie Bug wool.gif (10/2008) and angel1.gif (6/2010); nursing student & childbirth educator
#76 of 106 Old 06-19-2008, 07:41 PM

That sounds like a perfect gain to me.
#77 of 106 Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Ok ladies... I was able to weigh myself yesterday!! I found 2 scales in the storage/bathroom of one of our residential facilities and assuming they are accurate, I've gained 10 lbs. by 22 weeks. Is that normal? Off to google...

I took a bath last night and then oiled up my belly and looking in the mirror thought I looked gloriously pregnant and had the idea of doing some 2nd tri fancy pictures as well as 3rd tri. It might be nice for posterity to be able to say, and THAT'S what I looked like before I got huge!

Leurmama!
Sounds like a good gain to me! But maybe that's because that's about where I am. 9lbs at 23wks. I actually lost 2 lbs this week w/o changing anyting. I knew last week's weight wasn't accurate at a gain of 4 lbs!!!!
#78 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM

leurMaman to you. I hope your time with your family brings clarity, to both you and your H.

Amber Lion I think the weight gain sounds perfect, especially since that's right about where I am! 10 lbs at 21 weeks.

TaraRae82 Maybe the extra weight was water? I know mine has gone up and down like crazy (I weigh every morning - 4 pound difference in one day??!!), and my MW said fluid retention can do that quite a bit. 'Course, I think my boobs have gained 4 pounds in one week... sheesh!

AAM: Woohoo, 21 weeks! I'm on the down-hill run now! Kind of scary to me, if I think about it too much. I feel like I have so much to do and no time to do it, LOL. Since DS was early, I'm not taking my chances this time - bag will be packed EARLY (wasn't packed at all with him...) and the kids' room will be ready to go by August. Of course, with DS, I had this nagging feeling the entire pregnancy that I'd go early, just a deep gut feeling. This time, I feel SO differently, I have a very nice calm feeling about it. I really feel like I'm going to make it closer to term, if not full-term. Still, I know I'll want to be prepared!

DS is over-the-moon excited to have a baby sister. He talks to my belly every night and likes to 'read' stories (we're still working on actual reading, but he makes up some pretty good stories on his own!) and give her kisses. He'll put his ear to my belly to listen to her, ask me if she's awake, and then holler for her to wake up. It's so flippin' cute! She responds all.the.time to his voice, always moving for him. I love it, I just know he's going to be the best protective big brother ever and dote on his baby sister.

So things are good. I can't wait for this day to be over, I'm SO ready for the weekend. Work has dragged this week, I've been training my temp replacement and it's not exactly the most exciting thing. I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend of cleaning. I'm feeling very much like the house needs some serious reorganization!
#79 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Woo hoo! FRIDAY! I could not WAIT for this day to get here! So much to do this weekend and I'm ready to get on it - and away from my desk at work!

So, for those of you who see chiropractors, what do I ask when I call up? Ask if they do prenatal what? My back is frigging killing me lately - especially when I wake up - and I think I need to go do something about it. Get adjusted or whatever. I've never been to a chiropractor, so what do I need to know? What do I ask about when I call?

Other than that, not much new with me. Just hanging out online much more than I should be, lol...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#80 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 12:21 PM

Carrie- If I were you, I'd search the tribal area here first. You should be able to find a good rec there as a starting place. Hope your back feels better!

Jennifer- I can relate, sort of. I was induced with my only two vaginal births and so I've never really gone into labor on my own. My first vag was 38 and second was 36. I really want to make it to term and go on my own time.

Speaking of that- *Mini Rant*

So, I started one of those online baby pools. Emailed it to all our family and closest friends and they enter their guesses. To my surprise, they all responded right away.

My MIL and SIL's all put down that baby would arrive in September and put ridiculously low birth weights. I realize they think they're just going on what they know of the past but for some reason, it just pissed me off so badly. It felt like they're pulling for another preemie or something. So, I've decided that no matter what, I AM going to make it to October. I AM going into labor naturally and I AM going to have a nice big baby- just to spite them. My rather dim BIL said end of October and 6 pounds.
#81 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 12:50 PM

BC, i want to know whether they are trained in the Webster Technique, whether they work with pregnant women and children (i like taking my ds3 to the same chiro. and sometimes babies need to go too, esp. if there was a traumatic birth).

i go once a week and i can tell you that i feel soooo much better..if i didnt go to a chiro. for this preg., i think i would be completely miserable.
#82 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 03:32 PM

Hello ladies!
I finished my registries- tried to really get them complete so aside from anyone gifting us, we will know what we need to buy for baby before he gets here. We did a BRU one and an Amazon one.
The Amazon one is especially good for cloth diapering needs I found- has so many more independent sellers with nice covers and brands I really want.
I am excited now for July 11- we start our Hypnobirthing class with this amazing lady and she after talking to me was inspired enough to move it/have it right in my neighborhood rather than across town in Beverly Hills . She said she loves the young fresh artistic energy of my neck o the woods and has always wanted to do classes there anyway. She had a contact at a local yoga studio only 1 mile from my house that does prenatal and is opening an adjacent baby mecca (shoppe/events/etc.) on June 28th and she talked to them/will be collaborating and that is where we will do it. Cool beans for not having to drive to BH in the rush traffic of evening- would take us easily an hour to get there :lick: .
As I mentioned before, she is also gonna help us with a doula for birthing we can afford as she mentors doulas and there is always someone who needs another birth under their belt she said. She has already given me a short list of books to read too. I am finishing my Ina May book and then will start "Childbirth Without Fear" and then the Hypnobirthing one.
Lovin' the research!
I think I am gonna go to a chiro next week. My back is starting to feel really wacky and sleep is hard to get into.
Its good to read that some of you are doing chiro and liking it.

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#83 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
Hello ladies!
I finished my registries ...
WHAT!?! Gosh, I feel like such a slacker! I think all I have on mine is a co-sleeper. Good for you, though! Sorry to hear you're getting an achy back - I'm sure the chiro will help. Enjoy those hypnobabies classes - let us know how they go!

Changed Your in-laws sound so irritating! I just know you're going to prove them wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Woo hoo! FRIDAY! I could not WAIT for this day to get here! So much to do this weekend and I'm ready to get on it - and away from my desk at work!
I couldn't agree more! Good luck with your chiro quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarie930 View Post
He'll put his ear to my belly to listen to her, ask me if she's awake, and then holler for her to wake up. It's so flippin' cute! She responds all.the.time to his voice, always moving for him. I love it, I just know he's going to be the best protective big brother ever and dote on his baby sister.
OMG that's soo sweet.

Nothing much to report here. I plan to do some serious work in the nursery this weekend. The room is currently my office, which is going to get moved to our sunroom. We'll be moving the furniture this weekend. I also insisted that we decide on the nursery furniture and order it this weekend. Other than that there are parties parties parties this weekend. My friends sure do love to party. It's getting hard to keep up, though.

I think my dear friend is coming home to Tennessee to visit from San Francisco. I love her so much; I'm really looking forward to seeing her again. I just don't get to see her often enough.
#84 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
Hello ladies!
I finished my registries- tried to really get them complete so aside from anyone gifting us, we will know what we need to buy for baby before he gets here. We did a BRU one and an Amazon one.
The Amazon one is especially good for cloth diapering needs I found- has so many more independent sellers with nice covers and brands I really want.
Congrats! My BRU one has some things on it, but I haven't really sat down and figured out everything I want yet. I think I'm going to throw a pack & play on there, and I don't know which one I want yet. I'm still having troubles picking anything girly for fear this baby is going to come out with cojones.

So smart registering for the diapers and such on Amazon! I never thought to do that!

I also have a Target one, but it only has 7 items on it. They just had some cute stuff, nothing that I needed. Did you guys know they carry cloth prefold diapers there? So weird!

My problem is the big ticket items I want are all at different places. The carseat is over at Destination Baby, the bedding is at Baby Depot, the crib is at BRU. What's a mama to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
BC, i want to know whether they are trained in the Webster Technique, whether they work with pregnant women and children (i like taking my ds3 to the same chiro. and sometimes babies need to go too, esp. if there was a traumatic birth).

i go once a week and i can tell you that i feel soooo much better..if i didnt go to a chiro. for this preg., i think i would be completely miserable.
Thank you for this! I googled Webster Technique, clicked on like, the first hit, and then searched for chiropractors certified in my area -- and the FIRST result was the chiro that my MIL has been going to for YEARS!! Small world! So I made an appointment to go see him on Wednesday. I'm excited to go, I'm really looking forward to meeting him, talking to him, and getting my back pain alleviated (hopefully)!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#85 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
So smart registering for the diapers and such on Amazon! I never thought to do that!

I also have a Target one, but it only has 7 items on it. They just had some cute stuff, nothing that I needed. Did you guys know they carry cloth prefold diapers there? So weird!

My problem is the big ticket items I want are all at different places. The carseat is over at Destination Baby, the bedding is at Baby Depot, the crib is at BRU. What's a mama to do?
Babycakes:
You might wanna check out Amazon to see if all three are over there. I was surprised by how many vendors work with Amazon.
I was gonna do a Target one but heard neg things re. fulfilled items not showing up and being bought more than once and then they won't take returns without a gift receipt.:
I figure Matt and I can shop at Target ourselves for all the cute little things they have- I do love me some Target!- but if someone wants to get us furniture/gear/diapers/bedding etc. they can order from our registries as BRU and Amazon seem pretty thorough.

My chiro I will go to is certified in Webster as well. We will have to compare notes.

Crosscat:
I only did them b/c as of 2 weeks ago, my MIL has been hassling us already...saying she can't help herself and needs to buy us things (its her first grandchild) and she said if we didn't give her a list soon, she would just start shopping. I thought its best we pick the gear out ya know?
I will definitely post about HBing class and I hope it will be sufficient. If not, I will try to get my hands on a set of Hypno Babies cds as well but would prefer to not have added expense. *whew*

#86 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
My MIL and SIL's all put down that baby would arrive in September and put ridiculously low birth weights. I realize they think they're just going on what they know of the past but for some reason, it just pissed me off so badly. It felt like they're pulling for another preemie or something. So, I've decided that no matter what, I AM going to make it to October. I AM going into labor naturally and I AM going to have a nice big baby- just to spite them. My rather dim BIL said end of October and 6 pounds.
Well, I vote that you are going to go right around 40 weeks (I wouldn't want you to get too uncomfortable ), and that he'll be a little roly poly.

It's sad that people just don't know the power of suggestion and positive thoughts.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#87 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 05:09 PM

Aw, thanks guys. I'm pretty stubborn. I'd like to go like, a day over.
#88 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Hey all you guys who go to chiros - what is computerized paraspinal thermal imaging (CPTI)? Is this safe to get done whilst one is with child? Just asking to see if anyone knows. TIA!

Changed, I give you 2 days over!

#89 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 09:26 PM

Carrie, I don't know anything about CPTI but by the name, I'd venture to guess that I wouldn't be anymore comfortable with that than I am with u/s's. Break down the words....Computerized: duh; Paraspinal: something to do with the spine (not sure of the para portion, I'd have to look it up); Thermal: heat; Imagining: to view. I just don't like the sound of all that. Ultrasound therapy gives off a lot of heat and is great for relieving pain but it's not a good idea if you're pg. It's too much heat concentrated in one area and that's what this is reminding me of.
#90 of 106 Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 PM

AAaaahhhh! I weighed myself today and although I don't recall my exact weight pre pg. I think I've gained 18-20 pounds at 25w.

That's normal for me but I feel a little smaller this time and was hoping I had gained less...I have a hard time dropping my baby fat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page